Pathfinder HORROR, Ustlav (Interest Check)

Started by Quasar, May 18, 2017, 03:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasar

In addition to my Skyrim-esque idea, another setting I'm craving to do is the horror influenced land of Ustlav with its definite leanings towards Gothic/Lovecraft.

Unlike my other idea, which follows traditional heroic advancement, I want this one to be based on the unfortunates of the world - commoners (technically the NPC classes; adept, commoner, warrior).  The focus of this campaign would be a small, very isolated hamlet in the deep woods and how the PC inhabitants deal with threats that most adventurers take for granted, or else handle with only some inconvenience on their part.  For such villagers however, dealing with threats usually involves some ingeniousness on their parts.

The hamlet is small and possibly has people and families with dark secrets.  Outsiders always criticise such people for the backwards and dimsighted approach to problems (a.k.a. burn the witch!), but what would you do in their position?  Can you manage any better?

I'm hoping to make use of the Corruption and Sanity mechanics.  PCs would typically start in the NPC classes and advance along those lines, though if they solve their problems with truly heroic effort they will be permitted to enter one heroic class per such effort.  At least that's the idea.

One concept I'd like to see is a (PC) family as the group.

Feel free to let me know your ideas.
Quasar's Bangs (Requests; Updated 2017.08.25)
Quasar's A/As (Updated 2017.08.12)

Quasar

Thanks for the interest Kathyan!  We'll see if we can get a few more interested here; though I'll be weighing it against my other interest check to see which one should take off.

Edit: Actually, I'll probably want to do this, even if the other one does take off, lol ;D

ChaoticSky

I might also be interested in this one, depending on the specifics.  Are you planning to use the corruption as a dead end? Or Allow it to progress as a kind of darkling powerset? If i recall the book has options for both.

Quasar

Great question!  For me, the use of the Corruption mechanic is, first and foremost, a roleplaying asset; a chance to show the development of the character.

Second, due to the low-power rating of the characters, it is also a supplement to their ability.  PCs, however, will be gaining both the benefits and penalties of the corruption the acquire.  Given the mood and setting of the game, not all of the corruptions will be available.

I hope that answers your questions, but feel free to ask further if there's something else on your mind!

National Acrobat

I'd be interested. I love the Adept class actually, and I'd love an opportunity to try the horror mechanics.

Quasar

Great to hear National.  I'll probably get around to putting up a recruitment thread when I get a free moment from sorting out my Skyrim thread. :-)

TheHangedOne

I'd be up for it. Maybe as an NPC Warrior; town militia member, maybe? I'm very much unfamiliar with the horror mechanics, so I'd need to brush up on those. But anything horror based (especially Lovecraftian) is worth my interest.

Edit: would be racially limited?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Quasar

Welcome TheHangedMan!  To be honest, most horror comes from the player's willingness to indulge in the atmosphere and create relevant characters.  Since this will, for the most part, be eschewing the advanced PC classes, you really only need familiarity with the basics of how to play.

I'm thinking the core races, though I'd heavily favour humans with a touch of the other races.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Dormouse

I've recently read works by Poe and Lovecraft, so this idea does intrigue me! I'd be most interested in playing an Expert or Adept.

If you do go with the idea of the PCs being part of an extended family, perhaps it's one that's predisposed to madness due to a curse or genetics? Or perhaps their ancestral manor influences them in some way. It could be a conduit for energies that begin to subtly transform them. Or maybe it's sentient, has a cruel nature, and enjoys toying with them.
"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Quasar

Welcome Dormouse and welcome!  Good catch on noting one of the themes of Lovecraft in that madness is usually a trait passed down family lines.  I'm hoping to get this up and going as soon as I finish getting my other group game started.

Everyone can be on the lookout for a possible recruitment thread this Friday or Saturday.

TheHangedOne

Cool. I'll definitely have a weather eye out.
Check out my poet tree!

Grizzly

We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

Quasar

As a point of interest for anyone following this thread, the recruitment thread is now up.