U.L.T.R.A. - BESM 3E

Started by AndyZ, February 18, 2012, 12:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

I'm going to say that Oni aren't from this world, but one or more could certainly have snuck through, possibly even becoming trapped.  You would either be an oni-human hybrid or an attempt by ULTRA to do genetic testing to weed out particular genetic traits in order to be able to splice those into people on a more regular basis (with the method as to how or why they figured out those bits being secret).

As far as the book, you should be able to get a PDF on DriveThruRPG.  Sadly, the main book is out of print and has been for about four or five years.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ReijiTabibito

Andy, what Genre are we using for skill costs?

AndyZ

Universal.  I pretty much always use universal.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Sessha

Quote from: AndyZ on February 20, 2012, 07:10:24 AM
I'm going to say that Oni aren't from this world, but one or more could certainly have snuck through, possibly even becoming trapped.  You would either be an oni-human hybrid or an attempt by ULTRA to do genetic testing to weed out particular genetic traits in order to be able to splice those into people on a more regular basis (with the method as to how or why they figured out those bits being secret).

As far as the book, you should be able to get a PDF on DriveThruRPG.  Sadly, the main book is out of print and has been for about four or five years.

Ah thank you very much. Just to let you know I would be a human-oni hybrid. I was thinking on some kind of ki swordsman.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

AndyZ

Some people have similar characters, but I'm starting to think that there's only so many options out there.  It doesn't bother me having more if folks don't mind.  Also, I don't think anyone is half-oni, so that'll help too.  And good to know it's a true hybrid.

ReijiTabibito

Andy, do ULTRA operatives get a free sidearm or something?  Or do we have to buy that with points?

AndyZ

ReijiTabibito

Check it.  I want to make sure it's right.

Character Concept: Powered Armor Driver
Power Tier: Mythical (350 Points)

Stats
Body: 6
Mind: 7
Soul: 6

Total Cost: 190

Health Points: 60
Energy Points: 65
Base Combat Value: 6
Attack Combat Value: 6 (8 Handguns; 8 Powered Armor Weapons)
Defense Combat Value: 6 (8 Personal Ranged)
Damage Multiplier: 5 (6 Handguns; 8 Powered Armor Weapons, +2 Superstrength for Melee when Armor equipped )

Attributes:
Combat Technique: 4 Points
--- Concealment; Judge Opponent
Extra Defenses: 5 Points (1 Extra)
Massive Damage: 4 Points (Focused – Handguns)
Ranged Attack: 6 Points (+2 ACV, Handguns)
Ranged Defense: 6 Points (+2 DCV, Personal)
Item “ULTRA Sidearm”: 5 Points (See Heavy Pistol in Book)
Item “Power Armor”:  102 Points
--- Armor Level 30 (60 Points; 60 HP)
--- Combat Technique Level 6 (12 Points): Far Shot; Lightning Reflexes Level 2; Portable Armory; Steady Hand; Weapons Encyclopedia
--- Extra Actions Level 1 (15 Points)
--- Extra Defenses Level 2 (10 Points)
--- Features: Radio (1 Point)
--- Jumping Level 2 (4 Points)
--- Landspeed Level 4 (8 Points)
--- Massive Damage (12 Points): Focused – Powered Armor Weapons
--- Melee Attack (6 Points): +2 ACV, Powered Armor Weapons
--- Ranged Attack (6 Points): +2 ACV, Powered Armor Weapons
--- Special Defenses Level 4 (8 Points): Flare, Lack of Air (x2), Toxins
--- Supersense Level 2 (4 Points): Infrared
--- Superstrength Level 2 (8 Points)
--- Power Fist: Weapon Level 8 (16 Points); Accurate (1 Point), Muscle (1 Point)
--- Laser Whip: Weapon Level 6 (12 Points); Flexible (2 Points); Penetrating (2 Points)
--- Laser Cannon: Weapon Level 6 (12 Points); Range 4 (4 Points)
Total Cost: 132

Skills:
Administration: 1 Rank; 1 Point
--- ULTRA
Area Knowledge (Tokyo): 1 Rank; 1 Point
Computers: 1 Rank; 2 Points
--- Networks; Programming
Driving: 2 Ranks; 4 Points
--- Motorcycle; Walker
Electronics: 2 Ranks; 4 Points
--- Powered Armor Systems; Computers
Law: 1 Rank; 1 Point
--- Criminal
Mechanics: 2 Ranks; 4 Points
--- Powered Armor Systems; Gunsmith
Medical: 1 Rank; 2 Points
--- Pathology
Navigation: 1 Rank; 2 Points
--- Urban
Police Sciences: 1 Rank; 2 Points
--- Ballistics
Stealth: 1 Rank; 3 Points
--- Silent Movement
Urban Tracking: 1 Rank; 1 Point
--- Corporate
Writing: 1 Rank; 1 Point
--- Technical
Total Cost: 28 Points

Defects:

Total Cost:

Overall Cost: 350 Points

AndyZ

All the Attributes other than Combat Technique are capped at rank 5.  Damage Multiplier is capped at 7.  Please lower accordingly.

Also, please explain why Melee Attack/Defense and Ranged Attack/Defense kick in when wearing Power Armor but are a part of the Power Armor, not a natural aptitude with the armor.  It seems like those would be innate training with the power armor, not qualities of the armor itself.

Oh, and if you missed the Feature of Chipped, you may want to look at that.

AndyZ

Actually, thinking on it, with Power Armor I'll let you double the rank 5 to have a max rank of 10.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: AndyZ on February 20, 2012, 08:37:14 AM
All the Attributes other than Combat Technique are capped at rank 5.  Damage Multiplier is capped at 7.  Please lower accordingly.

Even Armor?  Having Armor Rank 5 for a suit of powered armor, which can't be any more effective than light modern body armor, seems a tad ridiculous.  It's supposed to be a walking tank.

Also, please explain why Melee Attack/Defense and Ranged Attack/Defense kick in when wearing Power Armor but are a part of the Power Armor, not a natural aptitude with the armor.  It seems like those would be innate training with the power armor, not qualities of the armor itself.

It represents a special targeting and combat suite programmed into the armor - a sort of targeting and combat computer, if you will.

Oh, and if you missed the Feature of Chipped, you may want to look at that.

I'll look over it if I have the points to consider taking it.

Okay.  Not a problem.  The Armor Rank can go up higher than 10, though, right?

AndyZ

I see your concern, but I also have to worry about balance.  If we have a combat where one person has lots and lots of armor and everyone else has rank 5 or less, we're going to have some problems as I attempt to balance out the antagonists.

Perhaps you're developing a set of lighter power armor that allows for a greater range of mobility, as well as letting you move through the city without the sheer weight tearing through the concrete?

ReijiTabibito

I understand that, but if my Powered Armor isn't allowed to be any more effective than Heavy Body Armor, unless the characters can't even get their hands on that, then there's really no point for me to play a PA driver.  And keep in mind, Heavy Body Armor, the Item, is the sort of setup used by SWAT officers and some tactical teams in the military.  It should be plenty commonplace.

As for the weight issue, that's actually covered by a Defect, the Awkward Size Defect.  Yes, I know, it relates to size, but the table for the Awkward Size values also lists weights for the sizes.  Table 7-2.  An object with no ranks Awkward Size has a weight of 50-150 kg.

AndyZ

I'm sorry you feel that way, although I understand your reasoning.  I hope you understand also that I want to try to keep things balanced without forcing everyone to have huge amounts of armor.

ReijiTabibito

I do understand.  And I'm perfectly willing to tone down the level of Armor I have, just as long as it's consistent.  I don't want to be running into NPC SWAT teams who have the same level of armor that I do all the time because it happens to be a common type of armor.

Long as I can stay on top in the armor ratings, and have pretty much the only thing with a comparable armor level be another set of powered armor, I can live without the massive armor rating.

AndyZ

Gotcha ^_^  I'll keep any NPCs from having higher than Armor 10, although some beasties might have Force Field and/or Shield as well once we get into endgame.

ReijiTabibito

Well, I'm not limited to having just Armor, I can pile on Force Field and Shield, too, if I want...but we'll see.  Gotta go back now and fix things...

Also, one other thing.  I know that the Damage Multiplier is capped at 7.  Does that include sources from everywhere?  Ex: The Massive Damage attribute boosts the multiplier, but for certain weapons, so does Superstrength...

AndyZ

Correct.  It caps out the final number for each particular thing.  Therefore, you don't want to have Superstrength buffing the same thing as you have in Massive Damage.

ReijiTabibito

So noted.  Now to consider whether or not I should keep Superstrength, since the only reason to do it would be for the lifting ability...

Syene

Drive Thru RPG has it. It's out of print in paper and hard to find.
[tr][td]
[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td][/td][/tr]
[/table]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Wheresmycow

I know you're redoing the power armor Reiji, but I just wanted to let you know that you're old version was a little cheaper than you priced it at, in case you're only swapping points around.  If you have multiple Weapon attributes, you pay full price for the most costly one, and then 50% for the other ones.  So you'd pay 18 for the power fist, but the laser whip and cannon would be 8 points each.  So the item after all that would only cost you 94 instead of 102.

Admittedly, cap for attributes is 5, so the weapons would be cheaper still due to being maxed at 5, but yea, you'd get a discount.
Want to know more about me?
My Intro Thread
My ONs and OFFs

AndyZ

IC Side Thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=132592.0

People can use this in order to spend some time in idle conversation, as well as if characters want to head off for a while for some private time.

OOC Thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=132593.0

Once we have everyone that I think we're going to get, the actual missions and such will start up in an IC Main Thread.  For now, though, people can chat in the side thread.

I'm under the assumption that people know each other already, but if you want to get used to each other and such, the side thread is a good place.

Sessha

I'm still interested, but sadly after paying some bills and unexpected car repair (( >:( )) I'm out of expendible income until payday so I can't buy the one from DriveThruRPG, but I know a few people I can get a copy of the book from in the next day or so.  :-(

Muse

Perhaps I could be of service? 

I'm not available tonight, but if you'd like to send me a PM by tomorrow afternoon I could either: 
Meet with you on a messenger program and build a character with you. 
or
Send me a character history in PM and I'll build a character for you without need of exchanging contact information. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sessha

The first idea works fine for me as I'm still building the character idea in my head. I'll send you a PM with my contact information and we can do the talking via IM.