Avira scans not completing

Started by Lilias, November 17, 2015, 10:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

I found out yesterday that the last day my (daily scheduled) Avira scan completed successfully was the 12th. (I have it scheduled at a time when I'm normally out, so there are no interfering activities, so I didn't notice a problem immediately.) I attempted to run it manually, and every single time I get an error message around 14% of the standard local drives scan (quick scan works fine). Today, sure enough, the scheduled scan failed again. I run Win 8.1 pretty smoothly, and nothing has changed in my settings since the 12th. Any insights?
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kye

Have you tried disabling the web protection and then updating it?

Lilias

Updating is not a problem, though I tried running a scan with the web protection off. Scanning the My Documents area worked fine, scanning the hard drives didn't. :-\
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kye

Have you tried opening the computer in safe mode and running the scan from there?

AmberStarfire

Windows 10 update files have been doing this with multiple antivirus programs. It's one reason I just updated because I was fed up with not being able to properly scan my computer.

Do you have a pending Windows 10 update?

Lilias

I tried to upgrade as soon as I was offered it. After downloading for nearly a whole day, the installation failed. :-\ Guess it's time to try again...
~Wendell Berry

AmberStarfire

I might be wrong but I'd guess that's the reason.

There are particular files the virus scan skips over or can't scan, but it's really slow skipping over them one by one, which slows down the virus scanning to an absolute crawl. There are enough files that it's a problem, but I noticed when I went to install Windows 10 that it still needed to download over 2 gb.

It's like $windows bt or something like that, the folder they're in. I'm pretty sure it's a hidden folder but it might show on a report if you try to scan unsuccessfully.

Lilias

The upgrade worked. The scan, once more, didn't. >:(
~Wendell Berry

AmberStarfire

*Looks sheepish*

Do you have the option to generate a report at the end with details of what was and wasn't working?

(I had Avira on here, I'm pretty sure, before Panda. It wasn't working properly and Panda didn't before I upgraded, but afterwards Panda did. I don't still have Avira).

Lilias

Not your fault. :-) I'm currently going the 'uninstall and redownload' route, to see if it was just my installation gone dodgy.
~Wendell Berry

AmberStarfire

I'd say do a reboot too and see if it changes anything. I think it's those temporary Windows 10 files that are causing the problem, though.

Oniya

Might try doing a Disk Cleanup, which has an option for removing old Temp files.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lilias

The good news is that, after reinstall, the scan went on beyond the point where it used to fail. The bad news is that it was taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r-m-o-r-e (while before it was over in under 1 hour). It could very well be the fault of those leftover update files, but I'm reluctant to delete them, as I'm not yet sure I want to stay with Win 10. So, instead, I decided to let go of Avira and install Bitdefender in its place. Here's hoping things go smoothly.
~Wendell Berry

AmberStarfire

I hope that solves the problem for you, Lilias.

The problem so far as I can tell is that it won't open the update files, so the log amounts to 'trying to open file. cannot open. moving on to the next' and there are like 2000 of the things when they're pushing the update. That's a conclusion drawn from what Avira was saying, as well as information found online. If you google the windows 10 update and antivirus or $windows .bt if those were the files not opening for you, there should be more information on it.

Lilias

Well, Bitdefender seems to be ticking all the boxes for what I want (in the same comparative feature, Avira didn't even make the top 10), so, considering all the reported glitches seemed to involve installation on already-infected systems, the future looks rather bright. (But, with so many things changing lately - heck, that's three OS changes in six weeks' time! - I'm not breaking out the shades just yet. ;))
~Wendell Berry