Magic School Adventures [Dungeon World] (LGBT Friendly, all welcome) (CLOSED)

Started by eternaldarkness, January 13, 2015, 07:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

System: Dungeon World - http://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/
Players: Unlimited
Game style: Sandbox with GM-run plots.
Setting: A world much like our own where magic and fantastic races exist in secret, hidden from the eyes of the mundanes. In keeping with the traditions of Dungeon World games the school and much of the setting detail will be created by the players in collaboration with the GM (me, and i retain veto rights on anything too goofy), so we could make a well and truly fun little world. I expect liberal amounts of smut, amusing infighting between the students and staff members, and not a little bit of action and danger. The student characters would all be between 16 and 21 years old if they are students, and 25+ if they are staff members, and an appropriate age for all other characters (you need not be student or staff; off cast members like the Cursed Armor are available as well).
Theme/Mood: This would, as noted above, be sandboxy with GM-run plots. It is intended to be fairly lighthearted and comedic most of the time, with specific plots being much darker.

Allowed Classes
Bard, Cleric, Druid and Wizard from the Dungeon World SRD . You may also choose one of the classes below, as well as any other appropriate Dungeon World class if you can provide me with a (legal) link or copy of the playbook for it.

The Abjurer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMTapYQpw-mNUZSeG9RcVMwaFU/edit

The Caller: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6bQGWwaTUuXRVliVm5qYXB4UXc/edit (Think characters like Ash Ketchum, Sakura of Card Captor Sakura, Yugi Moto,any Final Fantasy summoner ever, and similar)

The Cursed Armor: https://www.dropbox.com/s/48jai3gkkb94pxt/CursedArmor.pdf

The Diabolist: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IiV6EqcLXwe6PMbM7pF1AGVjGWJGVd8UUl6CpuGeWV0/edit

The Elemental Master: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzuG4my2HZ_fLUlhX1pWaXpjTGJuRGZ5VEdnTnM3QWRVRVZ3/edit

The Krampus (I will give you mad props if you choose this one): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6SrgW-L3kDckRLTVBwYmpsZGM/edit

The Mesmer: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_IwajDD13e2OTVRMkU5a09CVTg/edit?hl=en&forcehl=1 (Tricky battle illusionists, modeled after the Guild Wars class of the same name)

The Necromancer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4a61fn5HcLQemtZVU43Y2syMDA/view

The Pagan: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6SrgW-L3kDUUtubERfZ3MyVFU/edit (The classic broomstick-riding, curse-casting witch)

The Princess: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_W1uSpYihHpYjE5b3pzOUs0NFE/edit?hl=en&forcehl=1 (Every Disney princess or lead character in a Studio Ghibli movie ever)

The Puppet Master: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9hnDZsDk5iIMGM3NVkwYllnUnc/view

The Seer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Drdlyabc8sbEhxU1hZaXFCT3c/edit?hl=en&forcehl=1

The Shaman: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B30fzv28XdrYb0taaGZuVzNhcFk/edit

The Spectrumancer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMTapYQpw-mWlN0VVExZWhBVm8/edit

The Spellcaster: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bx04XXNOi9Y_bWRWTk0zUEh6OWM/edit (An alignment-focused generic magic user)

The Warlock: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwbHes6iNuGrXzdBcGEtSmV3UkU/view

I'd also like some players to play staff members, Either one of the ones already outlined below or an original of your own creation. Remember, characters should be at least 16 years old, and staff members should be no less than 25, as it takes seven years of schooling or equivalent experience plus at least two years of practical experience to even be considered for the position barring extraordinary circumstances. The school teaches classes that go from highschool-level up through the collegiate level, and you can make older students who have been at the school a few years already or transferred from another school, either magical or mundane, if you want.

Students who are first-years start as level 1 characters. Older students (second through seventh year) start at a level equal to the year of schooling they are in.
Staff Members are always at least ninth level.

Characters that reach 11th level function as described on page 31 of the Dungeon World corebook, with the addition of the option to continue playing at level 10 indefinitely, and may choose any of the other three options (retirement, taking an apprentice, or starting a new class) at any time afterward. Characters who choose to start advancing in a new class function exactly as mentioned in the corebook, with the clarification that you may choose only three moves to keep from your previous class.

Other cast members from other classes are also welcome, just make sure they have a reason to be at the Cloud School or the nearby town.

FlamingAce242

I am putting my interest in for a puppet master

JamesSureWould

I'm interested.
And... I think I want to play the Krampus. Not like the actual creature krampus from folktales, but someone with those abilities. Maybe Krampus is a title and the character would be the next in line?

AndyZ

Going to keep an eye on this.  I love Dungeon World.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: JamesSureWould on January 13, 2015, 10:23:03 PM
I'm interested.
And... I think I want to play the Krampus. Not like the actual creature krampus from folktales, but someone with those abilities. Maybe Krampus is a title and the character would be the next in line?

The playbooks are just templates - a set of themes you can use for whatever you want. The fluff is very mutable.

Sessha

This seems rather interesting actually. I'm kinda leaning towards the Elemental Master so far.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Sessha on January 14, 2015, 04:29:09 PM
This seems rather interesting actually. I'm kinda leaning towards the Elemental Master so far.

Well, with four showing interest i'd say that's enough to consider this interest check a go. So, that means we get into the fun part: The setting.

There's a few things that need to be set as a foundation setting-wise.
1. the world as a whole: We already know it's a world much like our own with modern technology and such. Now I want all interested parties to give one detail about the world. I'll go first:

The rules of magic
-Magic is a universal energy that can be manipulated for a nigh-infinite variety of effects. Manipulating it requires the learning of spells, the use of magical artifacts, having a well of inborn magical energy to project, or granted by powerful beings such as gods, demons, and the mightiest fae lords. regardless of how it is gained, a magic-user must have a sufficient power source to use any magic at all. Spellcasters use ambient magical energy which is pretty much omnipresent (except in quiet zones, where no ambient magical energy exists and the energies of other magical sources are slowly drained away), while those with magical energies inherent to their nature or gained as a gift or from an artifact draw on their own respective sources. Most everyone, even normal humans with no knowledge of magic, performs very minor spells every day without realizing it.

-A rare few people are walking quiet zones, utterly incapable of performing any kind of magic or even using magical artifacts, and the very presence of these people can unravel magical effects. These people tend to live very hard lives, as they cannot even invoke the minor magics that ease life for everyone. The upside is that they are nigh-invulnerable to harmful magics as well, and even the most powerful of gods and demons cannot affect them directly with magic.

-magic is divided into four distinct schools: Artifice, Enchantment, Elementalism, and Fundamentalism.
Artifice is the art of imbuing matter with permanent magical power. Students of artifice brew potions, create magical trinkets and charms, and craft magical artifacts both mighty and humble. None are more adept at binding and unweaving magic as those who study artifice - what they can make, they can also destroy.

Enchantment is the school of illusion and the mind and of transmuting and imbuing living beings with magical properties, manipulating, commanding, and deceiving the senses and thoughts of ones self and of others and other strange magics. Illusionists, hex-casters, and magical tricksters of all kind are students of this school, which is the most esoteric and misunderstood of them all.

Elementalism Manipulates the natural elements of the world - Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, the building blocks of the corporeal realm. Elementalists have the most obvious and dramatic of magical powers, able to hurl explosive balls of flame, call down lightning, brew storms in a teapot, and rend the earth asunder with their powerful magics.

Fundamentalism is the big brother of elementalism, the school devoted to those magics which manipulate the most basic concepts - life and death, fate, fortune, time and space and other similarly high concepts which are more often the purview of the gods to command. It is also the most difficult of schools to learn, and so practitioners of this school tend to be hyper-focused on a narrow area of the school as a whole such as necromancy, divination, or summoning.

The School
-The school was founded by five masters of magic. Tell me about these five masters.
-Where is the school?
-What is the schools name?
-How is it concealed from the knowledge of the mundane?

FlamingAce242

The five masters of magic were the first five people to ever had had magic in their family. It had been passed down to the first born child throughout generations, before finally the fifth generation of mages decided to create a magic school for everyone to learn magic, for once you learned the arcane arts it is easy for magic to be performed. The five masters were the founders of each school of magic, with the fifth master being from the very first magic users, who were able to use all four schools of magic. They each set up their own houses of magic within the school, with the master mage becoming the headmaster. Since then they have taught magic to anyone they found who had a sufficient enough power source to use their magic.

JamesSureWould

The figures of myth and Lore are real. Hercules, Coyote, even Santa Claus. They're all real and walking the earth.

But, it's not as simple as one  might assume. The figures are real, but they aren't the same people who inspired the tales. Those names that people recognize are titles; Titles that command great power and responsibility, but titles none the less. They get passed from one generation the next.

Yet, despite the power and clout their title grants, they are not immortal. The figures of century old Myth are mortals, with each different person bringing their own interpretation to the role.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: FlamingAce242 on January 14, 2015, 07:29:04 PM
The five masters of magic were the first five people to ever had had magic in their family. It had been passed down to the first born child throughout generations, before finally the fifth generation of mages decided to create a magic school for everyone to learn magic, for once you learned the arcane arts it is easy for magic to be performed. The five masters were the founders of each school of magic, with the fifth master being from the very first magic users, who were able to use all four schools of magic. They each set up their own houses of magic within the school, with the master mage becoming the headmaster. Since then they have taught magic to anyone they found who had a sufficient enough power source to use their magic.

Excellent, excellent.

Quote from: JamesSureWould on January 14, 2015, 09:24:08 PM
The figures of myth and Lore are real. Hercules, Coyote, even Santa Claus. They're all real and walking the earth.

But, it's not as simple as one  might assume. The figures are real, but they aren't the same people who inspired the tales. Those names that people recognize are titles; Titles that command great power and responsibility, but titles none the less. They get passed from one generation the next.

Yet, despite the power and clout their title grants, they are not immortal. The figures of century old Myth are mortals, with each different person bringing their own interpretation to the role.

I like this too. A lot, actually. We're going to run with what you guys have so far.

Sessha

Alright I'll add my two cents in. *cracks knuckles.* The school is actually located high in the air above the clouds. The reason it is so is because one of the first of the magicians was fancied by the God of the Sky. After showing her several signs of his affections, she finally reciprocated them. However she would only agree to bed with him after striking a deal with him to raise the school into the clouds. She then bore him a son.

This child was the original Hercules. Though the child was mortal he was imbued with the god like strength of his father. As such he was held to a higher standard of virtue. However much he was lauded for his great physical prowess the original Hercules was also possessed of great intellect. After his many years wandering the land he came to realize that his name carried great weight. So working with his mother, Hercules devised a method by which his power would transfer to another who's soul was worthy to carry the name of Hercules. And thus the title of the immortal Hercules was born.

Hope you like this.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Sessha on January 15, 2015, 01:47:09 AM
Alright I'll add my two cents in. *cracks knuckles.* The school is actually located high in the air above the clouds. The reason it is so is because one of the first of the magicians was fancied by the God of the Sky. After showing her several signs of his affections, she finally reciprocated them. However she would only agree to bed with him after striking a deal with him to raise the school into the clouds. She then bore him a son.

This child was the original Hercules. Though the child was mortal he was imbued with the god like strength of his father. As such he was held to a higher standard of virtue. However much he was lauded for his great physical prowess the original Hercules was also possessed of great intellect. After his many years wandering the land he came to realize that his name carried great weight. So working with his mother, Hercules devised a method by which his power would transfer to another who's soul was worthy to carry the name of Hercules. And thus the title of the immortal Hercules was born.

Hope you like this.

Love it, actually.  You guys have given me enough material already to make up stories forever, so now i'll add in a bit more myself:

While the five Masters of Magic change once per mortal lifetime when a master dies or retires and is replaced by another, the current masters are: Echidna, the Mother of all Monsters, and the matronly mistress of the School of Fundamentalism who is unrivaled in her mastery of transformative magics, crafting creatures of great beauty and horrifying monsters both. Echidna treats all of her students, and indeed most living people, like they were her own children, but make no mistake - she has the highest of standards, and accepts only the best and brightest among her brood. Her College of Fundamentalism is considered the most difficult school to thrive in not just because of its demanding mistress but also because fundamentalism is the most difficult school to learn and master.

Master Nikolas Klauss, is perhaps the most well-known of the masters in the mortal world. Also known as Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, and the Wondersmith, master Nikolas is the greatest artificer in the known world, and none can match the complex and lifelike magical creations he crafts. As the master of the College of Artifice, jolly old nick is considered the friendliest and most easygoing of the masters, and under his stewardship the College of Artifice has become the most welcoming of all the colleges, accepting any and all students who are willing to work hard at mastering their craft regardless of their skill or lineage, and more people from mundane families join his school than any other.

Gimme masters for the colleges of Elementalism and Enchantment.

FlamingAce242

This isn't related to the other masters. But if I am a puppet master, my head of school is Santa!!!

JamesSureWould

Quote from: FlamingAce242 on January 15, 2015, 10:55:18 AM
This isn't related to the other masters. But if I am a puppet master, my head of school is Santa!!!

Wait a minute... The Krampus is definitely related to santa claus somehow. Is My dad the head of your school?
Another question; What school of magic would the Krampus fall under?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: FlamingAce242 on January 15, 2015, 10:55:18 AM

Yes, yes he is. And you'll like what I have in mind for him, I think.

Quote from: JamesSureWould on January 15, 2015, 11:37:47 AM
Wait a minute... The Krampus is definitely related to santa claus somehow. Is My dad the head of your school?
Another question; What school of magic would the Krampus fall under?

Ahh Krampus, the questionably-aligned german relative of Santa. He's definitely a school of Artifice guy, because that magic sack of people-snatching doesn't come out of nowhere. He could be a child of 'ol nick, a grandchild, or otherwise kin of jolly old nick (he's actually pretty young for a claus, only 68. They can live to be about 300 or so, and remain healthy as hell until the day they die). Nick and his relatives are actually a kind of fae, too, so much of their magic is inborn, and they can be ..very strange.

I added specifically placing permanent magical effects on living beings to the purview of the school of Enchantment. Because...well, it just fits.

eternaldarkness

Other School Staff
Alice Liddell - Alchemy professor - while master Nikolas is widely regarded as the greatest creator of mechanical wonders the world over, when it comes to chemical enhancement there are none better than the potion-quaffing, pill-popping master brewer Alice Liddell. While she is a little spaced-out from partaking of her own concoctions a bit too much, nobody knows more about chemical enhancement than this the girl who fell down the rabbit hole (and who same say has yet to come back out of it).

Sessha

Alright so I'll make my contribution once more.

Master Arawn is the headmaster for the Elementalism School. Arawn is tall with a slender but muscular build. His most striking features are his greyish-blue hair and crimson eyes, both traits signaling his fea blooded background. He's understanding to a point. This point is when people start making stupid decisions. Such stupid decisions include sacrificing yourself needlessly for no other reason than your own honor. Honor means nothing if you are dead in his eyes. Where as if you are alive there are more possibilities open to you. He also believes in when you make commitments do make them lightly but also adhere to them. He learned this particular lesson the hard way when he accidently blundered into the marriage of four different women. Three of them being elves and the fourth a noble woman from one of the central countries. The irony of the marriages is that each one was a master of her particular element. Thankfully his Gaelic backgrounds didn't prohibit him from marrying these other women and his first wife didn't object either as she was a practitioner of Divination magic and part elf herself.

I hope this is good enough.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Sessha on January 16, 2015, 01:16:47 PM
Alright so I'll make my contribution once more.

Master Arawn is the headmaster for the Elementalism School. Arawn is tall with a slender but muscular build. His most striking features are his greyish-blue hair and crimson eyes, both traits   He's understanding to a point. This point is when people start making stupid decisions. Such stupid decisions include sacrificing yourself needlessly for no other reason than your own honor. Honor means nothing if you are dead in his eyes. Where as if you are alive there are more possibilities open to you. He also believes in when you make commitments do make them lightly but also adhere to them. He learned this particular lesson the hard way when he accidently blundered into the marriage of four different women. Three of them being elves and the fourth a noble woman from one of the central countries. The irony of the marriages is that each one was a master of her particular element. Thankfully his Gaelic backgrounds didn't prohibit him from marrying these other women and his first wife didn't object either as she was a practitioner of Divination magic and part elf herself.

I hope this is good enough.

I love it. It even covers all four elements.

Sessha

Thank you. I realized I didn't exactly make something clear but I went back and finished out the reason for his striking eyes and hair.

eternaldarkness

The rules of magic
-Magic is a universal energy that can be manipulated for a nigh-infinite variety of effects. Manipulating it requires the learning of spells, the use of magical artifacts, having a well of inborn magical energy to project, or granted by powerful beings such as gods, demons, and the mightiest fae lords. regardless of how it is gained, a magic-user must have a sufficient power source to use any magic at all. Spellcasters use ambient magical energy which is pretty much omnipresent (except in quiet zones, where no ambient magical energy exists and the energies of other magical sources are slowly drained away), while those with magical energies inherent to their nature or gained as a gift or from an artifact draw on their own respective sources. Most everyone, even normal humans with no knowledge of magic, performs very minor spells every day without realizing it.

-A rare few people are walking quiet zones, utterly incapable of performing any kind of magic or even using magical artifacts, and the very presence of these people can unravel magical effects. These people tend to live very hard lives, as they cannot even invoke the minor and instinctive magics that ease life for everyone. The upside is that they are nigh-invulnerable to harmful magics as well, and even the most powerful of gods and demons cannot affect them directly with magic.

-Magic is divided into four distinct schools: Artifice, Enchantment, Elementalism, and Fundamentalism. Note that this system of classifying magical effects is not universally accepted, and many scholars of magic argue for the elimination, expansion, or revision of the classification system.

Artifice is the art of imbuing matter with permanent magical power. Students of artifice brew potions, create magical trinkets and charms, and craft magical artifacts both mighty and humble. None are more adept at binding and unweaving magic as those who study artifice - what they can make, they can also destroy.

Enchantment is the school of illusion and the mind and of transmuting and imbuing living beings with magical properties, manipulating, commanding, and deceiving the senses and thoughts of ones self and of others and other strange magics. Illusionists, hex-casters, and magical tricksters of all kind are students of this school, which is the most esoteric and misunderstood of them all.

Elementalism Manipulates the natural elements of the world - Air, Earth, Fire, and Water, the building blocks of the corporeal realm. Elementalists have the most obvious and dramatic of magical powers, able to hurl explosive balls of flame, call down lightning, brew storms in a teapot, and rend the earth asunder with their powerful magics.

Fundamentalism is the big brother of elementalism, the school devoted to those magics which manipulate the most basic concepts - life and death, fate, fortune, time and space and other similarly high concepts which are more often the purview of the gods to command. It is also the most difficult of schools to learn, and so practitioners of this school tend to be hyper-focused on a narrow area of the school as a whole such as necromancy, divination, or summoning.

While the five Masters of Magic change once per mortal lifetime when a master dies or retires and is replaced by another, the current masters are:

Headmaster Master William Miller - one of the most singularly powerful mages ever to walk the earth, Master Miller is the headmaster of the school and a direct descendant and heir of the legendary hero Hercules. While he lacks his ancestors legendary strength and is not a god himself, he is every bit as driven and powerful in his own way, and his feats of magical might stand as testament to his power. Tall and austere with jet-black hair, Millers is famous throughout all the known worlds for toppling his divine ancestor, Zeus, and stealing the power of lightning. Despite his immense magical prowess, Master Miller is very personable and approachable, taking a personal interest in each and every one of his students and staff. He knows the names and personal histories of all his students, and on more than one occasion he has broken the rules set forth by the Skyfathers to help a mortal.

Mistress Echidna, the Mother of all Monsters, and the matronly mistress of the School of Fundamentalism who is unrivaled in her mastery of transformative magics, crafting creatures of great beauty and horrifying monsters both. Echidna treats all of her students, and indeed most living people, like they were her own children, but make no mistake - she has the highest of standards, and accepts only the best and brightest among her brood. Her College of Fundamentalism is considered the most difficult school to thrive in not just because of its demanding mistress but also because fundamentalism is the most difficult school to learn and master.

Master Nikolas Klauss, is perhaps the most well-known of the masters in the mortal world. Also known as Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, and the Wondersmith, master Nikolas is the greatest artificer in the known world, and none can match the complex and lifelike magical creations he crafts. As the master of the College of Artifice, jolly old nick is considered the friendliest and most easygoing of the masters, and under his stewardship the College of Artifice has become the most welcoming of all the colleges, accepting any and all students who are willing to work hard at mastering their craft regardless of their skill or lineage, and more people from mundane families join his school than any other.

Master Arawn is the master for the College of Elementalism. Arawn is tall with a slender but muscular build. His most striking features are his greyish-blue hair and crimson eyes, both traits signaling his fea blooded background. He's understanding to a point. This point is when people start making stupid decisions. Such stupid decisions include sacrificing yourself needlessly for no other reason than your own honor. Honor means nothing if you are dead in his eyes. Where as if you are alive there are more possibilities open to you. He also believes in when you make commitments do make them lightly but also adhere to them. He learned this particular lesson the hard way when he accidently blundered into the marriage of four different women. Three of them being elves and the fourth a noble woman from one of the central countries. The irony of the marriages is that each one was a master of her particular element. Thankfully his Gaelic backgrounds didn't prohibit him from marrying these other women and his first wife didn't object either as she was a practitioner of Divination magic and part elf herself.

Wildflower the Witch is the mistress of the College of Enchantment, and like her chosen school of magic she is mysterious and enigmatic. Noone knows from whence she came or how she manages to be so powerful, or even if Wildflower is her real name. What is known is that of the five masters, she is second in power only to Master Miller, and she does not get along with the schools Archmaster one bit. Master Wildflower changes her appearance almost daily, but always looks like a beautiful young woman with flowers entwined in her hair no matter what form she takes (unless she chooses to completely disguise herself).

Other School Staff
Alice Liddell - Alchemy professor - while master Nikolas is widely regarded as the greatest creator of mechanical wonders the world over, when it comes to chemical enhancement there are none better than the potion-quaffing, pill-popping master brewer Alice Liddell. While she is a little spaced-out from partaking of her own concoctions a bit too much, nobody knows more about chemical enhancement than this the girl who fell down the rabbit hole (and who same say has yet to come back out of it).

Sessha

So what happened here? Any new developments?

eternaldarkness

I'll get an IC thread up tonight or come morning, and we'll get going.

eternaldarkness

This idea has not been abandoned, but I have expanded it a bit. See the first post for the full overview, but to summarize: Classes are no longer restricted to one each in the game, and I am also looking for people to play senior students and staff members (who start at a higher level).

Sessha

Sorry I've been busy for awhile but I'm still interested in this game as well.

eternaldarkness

If I have at least two players, this one will get going. More is better, but two is all I need.