Magic the Gathering: Avacyn Restored

Started by foxfeathers, April 15, 2012, 01:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxfeathers

Anyone play Magic, go to Friday Night Magic, and/or are going to the Avacyn Restored release?

Thinking about buying a booster box.

Roleplay Frog

I keep telling people, that buying new stuff is .. entertaining but redundant, as the best block of all, Urza's Saga, has already been released.

foxfeathers

Well, in order to play in FNM tournaments you have to have the most current series.

Why do you say that about Urza's Saga? I'm getting back into Magic from a long hiatus following a mild interest in high school, so my knowledge is spotty, but I want to change that!

SinXAzgard21

I only play what is in cycle so Urza's saga means little to me.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

WindVoyager

Save your money and buy singles when they become available for pre order. I have yet to see anything in the new set that is impressive or worth while. Then again I play casual only but its still better just to buy singles instead of buying a booster box.

As Day Fades

Quote from: Deva on April 15, 2012, 01:34:41 PM
I keep telling people, that buying new stuff is .. entertaining but redundant, as the best block of all, Urza's Saga, has already been released.
This^ lulz.
Though you gotta admit, the Invasion block takes a pretty sick second place.

Roleplay Frog

Why is Urza's saga the best.. well reason 1 is the one that invasion is a good runner up.

Really interesting story concept.

The secondreason lies in the cards. Urzas saga had such a MASSIVE amount of incredibly good cards that it now fetches the highest price for a booster next to the obvious overkill alpha/Beta, 15 $, and that's the average price for a booster of the Urza block, a Saga booster you can buy for an average 20$(or, dependingon shop you can buy 5-6 Arwhatever the new edition is for 1 Saga booster), even allicances doesn't get up to that range, it had some of the best lands and artifacts(or artifact related cards) around, many of wich where incorporating legendary concepts of the game, to the point where it is save to say that without urzas saga artifact decks would not be the same. Finally it was combo builders paradise.

But the real reason, and what it did the best was it gave all colors something really good.. or nasty. Blue got the fucking morphling(aka best creature for many years to come, and, in my opinion, only very rcently surpassed by the platin angel), red got the lackey aka goblin infestation,, artifacts got the academy wich turned out to be a terrible idea once mirrodin peeked around, Green got Geas Cradle(wich I still remember the 'contemporary gamers', back then complaining about day in day out, just as I was pointing at the Tabernacle I now point at it, but that's a different story), White got fucking 'oh hello, I'm 20/20, oh wait Lifelink? why thank you! I'm now 40/40' Serra's Avatar(and don't get me started on Worship in the right deck) and black... Only Yawgmoths will, aka 'I feel like playing my entire graveyard again trololol

NotoriusBEN

yes, yawgmoth's will was my goto card for my zombie deck. I've since had to go to Patriarch's Blessing(?) it lets everyone pull all creatures of a type they named from their graveyard (zombies, humans, goblins, etc. you gotta name that creature).

couple that with playing a noxious zombie first and its basically a ''wrath of god'' on everyone but zombies.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on April 16, 2012, 12:54:07 PM
yes, yawgmoth's will was my goto card for my zombie deck. I've since had to go to Patriarch's Blessing(?) it lets everyone pull all creatures of a type they named from their graveyard (zombies, humans, goblins, etc. you gotta name that creature).

couple that with playing a noxious zombie first and its basically a ''wrath of god'' on everyone but zombies.

Ah good old zombie decks. Undead warchief! Undead Warchief! undeadwarchief! rawrrr.

I stopped using them when I noticed how much stronger a reanimator was. oh and

Patriarchs blessing is to Living Dead what Edward Cullen is to Dracula, go try it out:P

Just too much fun to play with a Kokusho in game and a Yosei in the graveyard, or reversed, or whatever,  just play two. fun fun!

Aftiel

Quote from: Deva on April 16, 2012, 01:18:59 PM

Patriarchs blessing is to Living Dead what Edward Cullen is to Dracula, go try it out:P

Sparkles in the sunlight and is otherwise impotent and ugly? Ill stick with my devilishly handsome and powerful bloodsucker thx.
I was such an edgelord a decade ago LOL.

Roleplay Frog

Kinda like that, if you can play the card. Pretty much the only good 'fuck you all' card a reanimator has.. and needs.

Devilishly is good!

Geeklet

Quote from: WindVoyager on April 15, 2012, 11:50:27 PM
Save your money and buy singles when they become available for pre order. I have yet to see anything in the new set that is impressive or worth while. Then again I play casual only but its still better just to buy singles instead of buying a booster box.

Right now, im thinking this. I might buy a fatpack just for the sheer joy of opening boosters. While there are a few cards I've seen that I am interested in, its not to the level where I'd want to get a whole box (Unlike Innistrad, though. Loooooved that set).

And.... to get this back on track of Avacyn Restored.... Temporal Mastery is so OVERRATED in anything but Vintage/Legacy. :P

WindVoyager

Most the cards I've seen are meh. I'm going to end up buying mostly C\UCNs and some rares. As a casual player I see more value in what most T2 players see crap. My mono blue deck makes use of Trench Gorger and Stormtide Levitation

Kytn

I'm excited, but mostly because I enjoy the thrill of opening booster packs. </dork>

Being both a newbie and casual player means that I've still got a looooong way to go, so I can't say I'm excited for any particular card.
Updates coming soon!

Geeklet

Quote from: Kytn on April 24, 2012, 05:42:51 PM
I'm excited, but mostly because I enjoy the thrill of opening booster packs. </dork>

I started playing over a decade ago, and even though there was a loooooong period where I didnt play, I still enjoy opening packs, especially when there are certain cards I want.

Kytn

Quote from: Geeklet on April 24, 2012, 06:06:14 PM
I started playing over a decade ago, and even though there was a loooooong period where I didnt play, I still enjoy opening packs, especially when there are certain cards I want.
Hehe, is nice to know I'm not alone in enjoying that. ^^
Updates coming soon!

TheGlyphstone

Eh. The best thing about this set is that it'll eventually end, because the set immediately after it will be Return To Ravnica. ;D

Geeklet

Actually, its gonna be another core set... and THEN the return to Ravnica. :P Of course, I never played during the first trip there, so I don't see much of the hype.

WindVoyager

Is going to enjoy returning to Ravnica.

Avacyn Restored is pretty meh. Seen the full spoiler, saw maybe fifteen cards mostly C\UNCs and a few rares that I wanted the rest is meh. Vexing Devil will drop pretty quick once the hype is over.