The Walls are Closing In. (A Call of Cthulu recruitment thread)

Started by Yandros, August 04, 2013, 11:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yandros

Built a century ago, The Crest apartment building was a marvel of design and comfort at its time.  After half a century or so, a lack of maintenance began to creep in and slowly the once beautiful building fell into disrepair and the cliental of the building began to follow suit.  It wasn’t until the 70’s though, when disaster struck The Crest.  After a series of grisly murders around the city, the culprit was shown to be some doomsday cult that had set up their theater of operations within the basement of The Crest building.  Closed down in the ensuing investigation, the building eventually fell into disrepair. 

Now 25 years later, with the building renovated, the doors have opened once again to tenants.  With only rumors left about what happened within the basement those many years ago, most think that what happened back then is over and done with.  However not all thoughts are founded in reality.

OOC Information:

For this game, I am looking for 3-5 people to play residents in a newly renovated and opened apartment building.  Seeing as I am looking for this to be inspired by Lovecraft and Call of Cthulu, of course the place is haunted!  Perhaps even something from the Mythos was let through during the time of the cult.

I am not necessarily looking to use rules for this, but I am not against it if there is a desire for them. 

In regards to characters, I would like a mix of males and females who are moving in or just have recently moved into the building.  Personalities of course are all over the place, but take into mind that the rent for this building is not the highest.  It is an older place, with a history, and most likely not in the best district of the city.  So those are factors to keep in mind when designing a character for this.
In regards to the roleplaying, I shall be taking the role of the building super and of course all the little things that go ‘bump’ in the night.

I do wish to note, this is my first group game, so please be patient with me!

Character Sheet:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name:
Picture:
Detailed Appearance:
Personality:
Greatest Fear:
How long have they lived here:
Reason for moving in:

doodasaurus

I have a real interest in this so if other people show an interest, too, I'll make up a character sheet.  ;D

Lycana

Hello, hello, hon, we've talked about it a little bit but I wanted to throw out that I was interested and I can have my character sheet if not before I rush to work or after.

By the way, I love your avi, Yandros ;D
Yes pleases and no thank yous (Updated 9/15/2014) <3 What I'm currently craving (Updated 9/15/2014) <3 Where has your favorite little Dream Dancer been? (Updated 6/20/2013)

"Woman was created from Man's rib; Not made from His head to top Him; Nor from His feet to be trampled; But from His side to be His equal, Under His arm to be protected, And near His heart to be loved"

Yandros

Why thank you, thank you.

But, that is two interested!  If we can find a couple more, I'd be comfortable making a starting post and letting the story unfold from there.

If anyone has questions/comments/etc, please feel free to say them here or in a PM!

doodasaurus

I'm just awaitin' for a couple more people who dare to DREAM IN THE WITCH-HOUSE!  ;D

Yandros

Yeah, that is pretty much all we need!

I'd love to see a balanced group of people, male to female ratio, that is.  So if you happen to be looking in and debating on whether or not to reply, please do!

Yukina

Yukina

Name: Miyoko Miyazaki
Sex: Female
Picture:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Detailed Appearance: Miyoko stands at five foot three. She is very skinny and has a c-cup chest. Miyoko wears glasses over her black eyes due to being near-sighted. It's not uncommon for her to cover face with the black bangs of her hair. She is commonly seen wearing a sweater and skirt, the colors differing from day to day. Miyoko doesn't tend to show off her body that much.
Personality: Miyoko tends to be very shy and meek. Her horror academic social life has left her with utterly crushed self-esteem. She tends to be very smart though, skipping a couple grades (though it didn't spare her confidence enough). As a result of her poor confidence, she tends to stutter a lot around those she has just met or is uncomfortable around. Miyoko commonly sticks in secluded spaces, buried in her laptop or one of her books. The only places she seems a little less meek are at the conventions she goes to or the internet where she doesn't have to show her face. Finally, Miyoko is a closet bisexual, though she is poor at hiding it.
Greatest Fear: Being kidnapped. Her fear roots from being kidnapped by a gang of bullies once and almost raped.
How long have they lived here: Miyoko is currently just moving in.
Reason for moving in: Even though Miyoko has a master's degree in computer science and is great with computers, the economy is poor right now and her small starting jobs leave her low on cash.

Cosmo_ac

ok, quick question or two.

Is this going to be a sexual horror game, or straight up horror?

doodasaurus

Name: James "the Irish Atom Bomb" O'Sullivan

Sex: Male

Picture:

Picture

Detailed Appearance: James is six-foot-five and weights around two hundred and twenty-five pounds.  He is broad shouldered with long arms and legs, big hands, and a lean, athletic build - as in professionally athletic.  He's got blond hair that he generally keeps short, often a scraggly beard because he doesn't work a straight job and some days it's just too much of a pain in the ass to bother with shaving.  He's got piercing blue eyes and most people say he's very handsome to go along with his Greek god physique.   On his right shoulder, he has a tattoo of the Irish flag with "Eire" underneath it.  On his opposite shoulder he has a Celtic cross.  On his right pectoral he has Japanese Kanji calligraphy for judo next to one in the same script for Shotokan karate.

Personality: Most of the time, James is an affable young man, easy going and laid back.  But when physically challenged, he becomes intensely competitive.  He also becomes very aggressive around bullies and sometimes around authority figures who he thinks are abusing their power.

Greatest Fear: Being a coward.

How long have they lived here: Three months.

Reason for moving in: Affordability and within cycling distance to the gym where he trains.

Yandros

Characters look good! 

And Cosmo, I am looking for the game to be something of a horror story with the individuals choosing whether or not to have sex on their own terms.  I'm not going to force it by any means (and I would much prefer to not have any non-consensual either), but I by no means will stop it.  If things do end up taking a while though, I will ask the people to form a separate thread for the erotic encounters.  Well, that is if it is only a pair rather than the entire group.  Hope that answers your question? 
If you, or anyone else for that matter has any other questions, please feel free to ask!

As well, what are people's thoughts on using a system?  Yes?  No? 

And finally, please everyone look over this thread: Drake's Oath.

Yukina

doodasaurus

I'm indifferent to systems, but I won't take the oath of Drake.  I hesitate to take any oath, generally, and that oath I think is very flawed.

Wargtass

More of a freeformer myself, but if others feel like using a system I am all for it. I am a proponent of the Oath of Drake as well, so no problems there, though I don't believe in enforcing the Oath, since common sense and courtesy has the same value and cannot be measured in the ways of taking an oath. Seen plenty of Drakers behave contrary to the oath and have seen even more non-Drakers who make perfect writing partners.

With that said, here's my author, because a CoC-game cannot live without a haunted writer...  ::)

Name: Charles Proctor
Sex: Male

Detailed Appearance: Charles has a rather long and thin frame and almost a very haunted appearance. His hair is often a bit unkempt and his chin is perpetually stubbled. His clothes are all the well worn denims, cardigans and jackets of the hard working intellectual and he has two pairs of round rimmed glasses. All in all his appearance is very much fitting to his occupation as a struggling writer.
Personality: He is a silent and recluse man, preferring solitude to socializing. His agent complains that it has an adverse effect on his image and writing, but he always considered that if he wanted to socialize he wouldn't have started writing horror novels. Lately though he has run into a bit of a block and have had terrible nightmares. He's beginning to consider if he should have to actually try to talk to some people in the house...

Greatest Fear: Losing his spark.
How long have they lived here: Six months.
Reason for moving in: It's relatively calm and has the right atmosphere. Helps that it's cheap as well. Even relatively famous writers fall on hard times.
O/O

doodasaurus

Wargtass is right about needing a writer, but it got me thinking . . .

If we're going to round out the Lovecraftian stereotypes, we need a professor in folklore and anthropology, a drug addict, the decadent scion of an old New England family who is probably also a monster, and some cats with racist names.  ;D

Lycana

Okay, so now that I'm off work for the next two days I really have no excuse other than laziness to not get this done >.> On that note...

Name: Mia Havran
     Detailed Appearance: Just shy of 5'9", Mia is normally seen in a pair of flattering jeans and a form fitting shirt that accentuates her body's natural hourglass figure. Her chocolate brown eyes tend to dance with amusement and a not so hidden passion while her soft café au lait skin is all the more pronounced by the tumble of light brown curls to the middle of her back.
     Personality: Despite having a bit of a vain, party-girl appearance, the friendly college student would much rather spend her nights at home with a book in hand then out at the local bar. Half-way towards her MA in Art History, she scraps together what she can as a waitress in a local hole in the wall diner up the road to pay for both the classes she attends and the roof over head. Yet Mia is far from the old 'all work no play' type. The openly bisexual young woman has no problem sidling up close to the next person that catches her eye.
     Greatest Fear: Elevators and other confined spaces. At five years old she was trapped in the elevator of her family's apartment building for several hours by herself, since then she has suffered severe claustrophobia and will make it a habit of taking the stairs rather than ride the elevator.
     How Long She's Lived There: Two months
     Reason For Moving In: It's far cheaper than most places closer to the campus while still remaining within easy bicycling distance.
Yes pleases and no thank yous (Updated 9/15/2014) <3 What I'm currently craving (Updated 9/15/2014) <3 Where has your favorite little Dream Dancer been? (Updated 6/20/2013)

"Woman was created from Man's rib; Not made from His head to top Him; Nor from His feet to be trampled; But from His side to be His equal, Under His arm to be protected, And near His heart to be loved"

doodasaurus

So, who is going to see Brown Jenkins first, or are we going to hear the crazy violinist from the top of the house, whose sole window overlooks an otherwise unattainable wall?!  ;D

Yandros

So, it looks like a system is not wanted for this, which I do not mind at all.  Just make certain lines of communication are open for any actions towards another player and all shall be fine.

As for Drake's Oath, I was not asking anyone to swear a thing.  I simply put it up there as a guideline of sorts, as I think it is good advice for any group game out there.  Mostly just along the lines of let's be respectful and have fun here.

Wargtass, an author is always a good idea, and very fitting for the setting!
Lycana, your character looks good as well, and glad to have you in!

So far, it looks like we have a game going, and I will post up an initial post within the next day or so.  I will be certain to link it here, so we can get the rp rolling.

Yandros

Yukina

I'm sorry that it's so abrupt, but I will be dropping out. My interest just took a nosedive for some reason..

Yandros

Sorry to see you go Yugishogun, hope you find some good rp to take part in!

So, that would mean we are still looking for a person or two to take part. 

raptorlady80

I would very much like to take part if I may.  I just got approved and have been keeping an eye on this thread!

If you like my character let me know!

Name: Nicole Ardsley
Sex: Female
Picture:
(Not sure how to insert a photo and the search engine appears to be down.)
Detailed Appearance: At 5' 9" tall, Nicole is a blue-eyed blonde Professor at the local university.  She is slim bodied, and may be considered a tad too thin by some.  She tends to dress business casual due to work but when home she wears comfortable jeans and a t-shirt.   
Personality:  She is friendly though tends to get engrossed in her work. She isn't a busy body and is prone to be obsessive about the things that interest her.  Her main interests are studying anthropology and comparative religion and mythology. Her focus within that is on occult practices of various cultures around the world.  She is a collector of artifacts of an antique and occult theme.  She may look normal but tends to be an eccentric person.  She is going to begin teaching a new anthropology course entitled "Sorcery, Demons, and Gods" which she is extremely excited about.
Greatest Fear: Losing touch with reality.  Her mother was diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia when Nicole was 11.  Dealing with that had/has been very hard for her over the years.  Her mother is currently in a mental institution and Nicole tries to visit when she can but it's probably not often enough.
How long have they lived here: She is currently moving in. 
Reason for moving in: She is in the process of getting a divorce.  Husband was tired of her obsessions and the growing distance between them.  He eventually began to have an affair.  She found out about it and decided to leave him.  It took a bit but due to her financial situation (divorce, paying of school loans, etc) she's forced to live in an area that isn't what she is used to.  But the excitement of being free and on her own overcomes that.

doodasaurus

And there's the anthropologist!  Heya, raptorlady80!

If you need anything image-wise, let me know.

Yandros

Welcome Raptorlady!

Everything looks good to me, and here is a good place to look for help with the forums here:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=453.0
You can find just about everything you need there, and we are all more than happy to help you find a picture! 

The link to the thread is just a couple of posts up, so feel free to make an introduction there.