What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

It'll probably go F2P within the year, you know. It's good, but it can't compete with the others, I think. It's ... too complicated?

Because this is a complex game. Hmm. I should mention at the same time that, besides not having classes, there aren't really levels in the game, either. You get points when you "level up", but apparently there's no limit to the points you get. Meaning that eventually you have everything fully leveled. All abilities unlocked, and so on. Rather than pick a class and level that, you level your abilities, and then you combine to make your own "class".

Tonalberry

Actually, I think there's like a max of 500something points you can get for your abilities.  I remember seeing what looked like a limit of 100something that you could have unspent at one time, and 500something max.  Granted, that might be enough to unlock everything for every weapon, who knows.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on July 21, 2012, 03:50:02 PM
Why is there no free trial of Secret World? -.- I'm not buying it until I try it.

A lot of MMO's have no trial when they first come out but add one within the first 3  months to attract players that are still on the fence. So just wait, it'll come in time
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

I'm just guna assume there's a sensible reason for that from experience in the MMO market and I just don't understand. Because the alternative is "Well that's stupid" xD

Brandon

It makes sense from an evil business standpoint because people who have the disposable income will just buy the game outright. More careful consumers like you and me will generally wait for more info or a trial period so we can try before we buy. By having no trial period companies can generally let hype pull in the sales because when you only know about 10% of a game your mind makes the other 90% seem awesome.

If they had a trial period right when the game came out everyone would try before they buy and that would probably mean a lot less sales

From a practical standpoint, I agree it is stupid but because they get the trial up in the first few months they can still pull in those people who were on the fence and will genuinly like the game. Those that dont get it after the trial, well they werent consumers that the company was aiming for anyway
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

hemingway may have buddy codes he could share.

Tonalberry

If I had a buddy code that let people try it for free, I'd share.  But I bought my copy digitally, and they didn't give me anything like that

Inkidu

Meh, MMORPGs are like NASCAR to me. Highly, standardized highly metered to provide a baseline experience for a lot of people, it also goes on for way longer than it should. Also, there are probably more than a few drunk fans. -__-
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on July 22, 2012, 12:03:29 PM
Meh, MMORPGs are like NASCAR to me. Highly, standardized highly metered to provide a baseline experience for a lot of people, it also goes on for way longer than it should. Also, there are probably more than a few drunk fans. -__-

That is eminently quotable.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Trying Tera. Disappointed at the character customization. If I want flowing red hair and a white puppy tail and ears, I should have that option. It's not too much xD had to settle with a fox girl so I could have nice hair, but had to pick a face I didn't like too much for the blue eyes. Presets are a shitty way to handle character customization.

Tonalberry

Quote from: Sabby on July 22, 2012, 08:00:58 PM
Trying Tera. Disappointed at the character customization. If I want flowing red hair and a white puppy tail and ears, I should have that option. It's not too much xD had to settle with a fox girl so I could have nice hair, but had to pick a face I didn't like too much for the blue eyes. Presets are a shitty way to handle character customization.

It's just way too easy to make a character of the little animal-girl race that looks seriously creepy.  Like, pedo-creepy.  When I made one, I managed to make one that looked cute without making me feel like a creepo.  Gave her the deepest, most womanly voice possible, and made her a Berserker.

Sabby

I'm pretty sure I'll buy a months subscription, just so I can be social for a while before deciding if I wanna buy something more long term. So far, gotten 4-6 levels with an Elin Lancer and a Baraka Sorcerer, while my brother has a High Elf Archer who SERIOUSLY looks like Pegasus from Yugioh in a pink shirt. I've been teasing him with the Yugioh Abridged voice of Pegasus the whole time xD

"Mmm, nyess, my new bow is quite firm and long, isn't it Yugi?" "Shut up -.-"

Sabby

Was guna get Secret World instead, but did what I usually avoid and watched a bunch of video reviews first. The Secret World looks interesting... but very, very dull. I'm enjoying Tera much more.

Well, it's going well, isn't it guys? I said it'd never happen, but now I like Tentacles and MMO's -.- Elliquiy is a very bad influence...

Hemingway

The Secret World dull? How? It has genuinely interesting stories and dialog, which is more than I can say even for SWTOR. Combat is different from other MMOs, even if it's not exactly revolutionary.

One important thing that keeps it interesting, though, is the rate at which you get points for new abilities. You get them very fast ( although you require more and more as you develop your skills more ) so you're constantly advancing. And there's a vast number of abilities to spend them on, which you can then use to tailor a character to your own specific needs. Obviously some combinations will work better than others, but there's way more variety than in games like WoW and SWTOR, where you basically have three builds to choose from.

But the most important thing is, like I've already explained, the variety of the missions. There are no missions, except in the tutorial part of the game, that simply tell you to go somewhere and kill a number of creatures. Some of them can be very difficult, not because of the enemies you meet but because of they're a bit more intelligent. Too much so, at times.

Take this one mission where you have to hack into a laptop. The password hint says the password is the name of the owner's wife. You find the owner's ID card, so you have his name. Now what? You open the in-game browser, find the real website of the fictional company he works for, look him up in the employee registry, and there you find the name of his wife. There's your password. And there are plenty of missions like that - though none of them exactly the same, so it doesn't turn into routine.

Hemingway

I wonder if the NDA on that has been lifted yet...

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on July 24, 2012, 03:23:04 PM
I wonder if the NDA on that has been lifted yet...

Not sure.

Certainly looks interesting,though, doesn't it?

Hemingway

Ahh, apparently the NDA is still in effect.

That's a shame.

Wolfy

Wolfy

So, just got done playing a little bit of a certain Kart Racing game that's currently in Beta right now....Yes...yes...A Little Big Portion of it, if you will, on my PS3.

And.......well, just from playing it for about 30 minutes, I actually got the same feeling I felt when I first played Mario Kart.

.........Prospects are looking good. <3

Brandon

Pretty much played Morrowind the whole weekend. I joined the Morag Tong, a government sanctioned assassin's guild and spent pretty much the whole weekend moving around Vivec as I honorably killed evil doers. The issue with Vivec is its a pain in the ass to navigate. There's something like 9 different cantons in the city, each with roughly the same map but unless you have a levitate spell to float between them and the varying floors navigating the place can be a major pain

Right now, Im up north near Dagon Fel trying to hunt down a Telvanni mage lord

Although this makes me wonder, what ever happened to the Morag Tong after the Red mountain erupted? I mean we know the dark brotherhood splintered off from them and have existed for the last few centuries but I dont recall the Morag Tong being mentioned in Oblivion and Im fairly sure they arent talked about in Skyrim either. Oh New DLC idea! Morag Tong's revival!

Life in Color

I finally tracked down a PlayStation 1 memory card and have been playing Final Fantasy VIII all weekend.

It makes me feel like I'm sixteen again.

Hemingway

Quote from: Brandon on July 25, 2012, 01:41:13 AM
Although this makes me wonder, what ever happened to the Morag Tong after the Red mountain erupted? I mean we know the dark brotherhood splintered off from them and have existed for the last few centuries but I dont recall the Morag Tong being mentioned in Oblivion and Im fairly sure they arent talked about in Skyrim either. Oh New DLC idea! Morag Tong's revival!

Given that probably the only reason the Morag Tong could exist in Morrowind is that the province has its own often strange laws, I think it's unlikely it could exist anywhere else. They'd simply be another Dark Brotherhood.

In unrelated news, I've been playing more of The Secret World, and I'm officially hooked. Its the story that gets me. I'm telling you, people - this game has stories that are actually interesting. Take this one example, which I will put in spoiler tags...

The Secret World main mission
You're chasing a sorcerer guy who's apparently seeking some ancient artifact, right? Then you encounter him, and he talks about having searched for a hammer, and having done battle with the "White God" on account of some "false prophecy". Apparently all the other gods are now dead, but he's alive, and free.

I didn't start putting two and two together until somebody asked me if I'd caught the reference. Then I realized that the guy I'm chasing is the norse god Loki.

What could possibly go wrong?