What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 21, 2012, 09:44:46 PM
It's not just a pyramid scheme, it's a pyramid scheme combined with a Skinner box. Not only are they using people to make their money for them, they're trying to create a compulsion akin to gambling.

I've always thought Blizzard were greedy bastards, it's just gotten worse with North shutting down and the unholy union with Activision. Everyone thinks EA's the worse publisher, but I think Activision is worse in spades.

I made a conscious and deliberate choice not to use the AH in D3. That goes double for the real money AH.

In other news, I played some Gods & Kings last night. I didn't really get into it, but I'm going to fire it up now and see if I can't start a game I'll actually want to play. I'm slightly ... obsessive about my games, see. If my Celt civilization starts in a desert area, I have to start over, and I do that until I get placed in an appropriate area. But even then, there might be a desert the size of the Sahara nearby, and that won't do!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on June 22, 2012, 06:47:06 AM
I made a conscious and deliberate choice not to use the AH in D3. That goes double for the real money AH.

In other news, I played some Gods & Kings last night. I didn't really get into it, but I'm going to fire it up now and see if I can't start a game I'll actually want to play. I'm slightly ... obsessive about my games, see. If my Celt civilization starts in a desert area, I have to start over, and I do that until I get placed in an appropriate area. But even then, there might be a desert the size of the Sahara nearby, and that won't do!
Try enabling the start bias. I usually keep it disabled because if I do play as Arabia I don't want nothing but dessert because good desert conditions are rare. I've actually figured it out. You need at minimum tree hexes of flood plain or oasis. Though, I always make sure to have a few border desert cities because that's where the oil shows up. Ever try running an industrial war without oil? My infantry cannot take much more, they need air support. D:
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on June 22, 2012, 08:39:36 AM
Try enabling the start bias. I usually keep it disabled because if I do play as Arabia I don't want nothing but dessert because good desert conditions are rare. I've actually figured it out. You need at minimum tree hexes of flood plain or oasis. Though, I always make sure to have a few border desert cities because that's where the oil shows up. Ever try running an industrial war without oil? My infantry cannot take much more, they need air support. D:

I wasn't even aware of such a feature.

Anyway, I've been playing now as the Netherlands, and they're fun. There's a lack of marsh and floodplains in my area, though, so I can't build dikes. Dammit, I need my dikes.

Sabby

About to give Diablo 3 a try. I expect to be, once again, the only one not complaining for a change. For balance.

Hemingway

If you played and loved Diablo 2, you will. If not, you may find it acceptable. Maybe.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on June 22, 2012, 09:05:26 AM
About to give Diablo 3 a try. I expect to be, once again, the only one not complaining for a change. For balance.

Well you wont be the only one complaining thats for sure but its more because Im boycotting the game due to the real money auction house. I can not comment on whether its a good game or not

Anyway, last night I got introduced to a neat mod called DayZ which is a mod made off of ArmA 2. Its an actual zombie apocolypse game. I find it interesting because you have to scavenge food, water, medical supplies, and weapons/ammunition. Even more interesting is the game has perma death and friendly fire going for it too. So its an actual survival horror game

Last night one of my girlfriends and I teamed up and we found this air base. Another guy showed up being chased by Zombies and we both took them out for him. Turns out he was drained dry. Not even a weapon on him. Luckily she and I had just found a body downstairs (presumably killed by zombies) so we told him to follow us downstairs. We got down there and got him a 1911 and some ammo off the body but the moment he picked it up some people started shooting and took him out. They nearly killed me too (I would have died if she didnt have a blood pack on her) but we cleaned them up. I felt really bad afterwards, here I was trying to help the guy out and I ended up getting him killed. I couldnt have known but I still felt bad

Its pretty realistic so far, even inspiring paranoia as you meet new people in the area. You never know if someones going to be friendly and want to join your group or going to shoot you dead. Ive even heard of cases where people set traps for other players by saying they would help them
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

I need to find some sort of Iron Age mod for Civ5. Hmm.

Geeklet

Quote from: Sabby on June 22, 2012, 09:05:26 AM

Well, I'm not complaining about the game, I just haven't been vocal in voicing my pleasure in it beyond a few posts. Seems rather pointless to do so among the negativity. (I learned my lesson after I was one of the few who didn't hate the ending of ME3. :P)

Quote from: Hemingway on June 22, 2012, 11:13:18 AM
If you played and loved Diablo 2, you will. If not, you may find it acceptable. Maybe.

I played and loved Diablo 2. Now I play and love Diablo 3. Am I always the exception to the rule? *laughs*

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on June 22, 2012, 12:15:02 PM
I played and loved Diablo 2. Now I play and love Diablo 3. Am I always the exception to the rule? *laughs*

Maybe it's possible to enjoy them both.

But not to enjoy them for the same reasons. Because they're very different games!

Inkidu

I played Kingdoms of Amalur. I like it so far, it's one of those games I'd call a more-fun Diablo. It's got all the loot and junk, but it's not slow as all get out and it has a much better combat. I mean, I'm a magic freaking ninja. A magic ninja!

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

The Auction thing don't even factor in for me. I play alone :P but it's impossible to get invested, since the whole online thing is constantly reminding you of it's presence. If it's not lag, it's a buffering cutscene, and if it's not that, it's a chat window I can't seem to get rid of. The future of gaming looks fun.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 23, 2012, 12:31:41 AM
The Auction thing don't even factor in for me. I play alone :P but it's impossible to get invested, since the whole online thing is constantly reminding you of it's presence. If it's not lag, it's a buffering cutscene, and if it's not that, it's a chat window I can't seem to get rid of. The future of gaming looks fun.
But, Sabby. You're doing it wrong. Everyone, especially a majority of the Diablo fanbase, knows that Diablo was never, ever, ever, ever, ever evereverever! A single-player game. I mean look at D3 it's multiplayer, it just has two modes. Multiplayer by yourself and MP with friends that's all.

:D

Heaven Sent Blossom

Been playing Diablo 3 to an obnoxious degree, and now I find myself having made £3.27 on the RMAH! THIS GAME SHALL PAY FOR ITSELF MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA *coughs* Sorry, don't know what came over me.
The game has bags of problems, most of them stemming from retarded design decisions ("Dodging isn't a skill, so we increased auto attack range to fifteen yards to prevent it!" as an example.) and some horrific nerfing to my precious Witch Doctor, however I still love playing the game and that's all it really boils down to for me.

I've just picked up Lollipop Chainsaw so that should be a nice diversion for around 7 hours. I kind of wanted to wait till it was super cheap, but ultimately I'm Suda51's bitch and couldn't help myself.

Inkidu

Yeah, I don't get that guy's appeal. I played No More Heroes. It was a mediocre game that large, large portions of your time is spent in the most insipid mini-games. "Random humor" has a real limited appeal to me. In fact, I thought the funniest part comes at the true ending when they get into the meta jokes about writing a plot. I mean the whole plot is kind of one big pile of nonsense at times. :\

Story Tale

I might play some Fallout tomorrow. After being hounded to get it by numerous people, the girl at GameStop was the last straw. I went in to browse and she talked me into getting it. It was only $8, so if I don't like it, no biggie.

@Heaven

Ooh, I have a friend that just bought Lollipop Chainsaw, but I'm like you were, waiting until the price comes down before I buy it. Please post back how you like it.

@Inkidu

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Heaven Sent Blossom

Suda's appeal is probably that he makes occasionally interesting, frequently irreverent and always off-beat games that are, usually, mechanically lacking in one or more areas yet have some good stuff going for them if you can push through the frustration. His schtick certainly isn't for everyone , as evidenced by the sales numbers of his games (which is a shame for something like Shadows of the Damned, which is like a slicker Resident Evil 4 since Mikami handled the mechanics).
I know personally I buy his stuff for a combination of the aforementioned plus existing loyalty to the fact that he was one of the guys at Human who created the Fire Pro wrestling series, which is still my favourite set of wrestling games ever made.

On the NMH front, It's been stated in numerous places that the terrible parts of No More Heroes (that is to say everything that doesn't involve killing things) are deliberately terrible as a satirical attack against the conceits of "free roam" gaming. I don't know that I believe that myself, however it doesn't matter, because deliberately bad is still bad at the end of the day and nobody should get a free pass for that.

najlah:
Honestly I'm liking it so far, but I have only hit the end of the prologue. The lack of a block is sort of freaking me out, but the dodge mechanic works and I imagine once I work out what has invincibility frames and all that jazz I'll really dig the combat.
It's soundtrack so far is pretty baller as well.

Oh man, the magic ninjas. I haven't seen the ICP movie in forever, I might have to dig out my VHS and remind myself of how utterly terrible it is.

Inkidu

If it is satire, it's bad bad satire. The truly good satire is more fun than the thing it's bringing to light. I often got it that he was trying to stick it to the weaboo or Japanese nerd crowd, but honestly it didn't resonate with my perceptions of nerdy. If he wanted to make fun of open-world games. Something that's not wrong in the first place (Japan just doesn't want to catch up for the most part) then he should have strove to make it more fun to drive the point home in more-creative ways then, "This sucks, see open-world games suck! Ha, ha!" Though that might be more of a symptom of his mediocre game design skill.

Story Tale

I was going to get NMH, but I forgot the name of it and the friend who told me to get it was still sleeping when I tried to call from the store. Damn people who sleep past noon.

Yay about Lollipop, I don't ever block anything anyway so I'm fine. I'm just dodge dodge all the time. :P

And yea, that movie was horrible. It had its moments, but... Yea...

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: najlah on June 23, 2012, 05:26:27 PM
I was going to get NMH, but I forgot the name of it and the friend who told me to get it was still sleeping when I tried to call from the store. Damn people who sleep past noon.

Yay about Lollipop, I don't ever block anything anyway so I'm fine. I'm just dodge dodge all the time. :P

And yea, that movie was horrible. It had its moments, but... Yea...

I would say you were probably saved on the NMH front, the combat mechanics are fine but the tedious busy work in between is so far beyond terrible, we're talking easily worse than the dreary mission prep of the first Assassin's Creed game. Although not as bad as Saint's Row 2, nothing is as bad as that.

I like to block and parry a lot in combat, so dodge abusing is going to take me some getting used to. However I don't think I will ever get tired of the animation of leap frogging over a zombies head and then dropkicking the one behind.

I should point out I'm not actually recommending Lollipop yet, I refuse to do that until I've at least fought a boss;-p

Brandon

Got a chance to play lollipop chainsaw when I stopped by a friends place today. Its kind of forgettable, the combat system is extremely repetitive but it does have a lot of personality to it. What I do like is even though Juliette could be dismissed as a common sex symbol she still comes across as a strong and independant woman so I see some irony there.

Also I just ran across this

► WTF Is... - RaiderZ (alpha footage)

Its interesting that just a little while ago I was saying we needed a new monster hunter type brand and then I find this. Im not convinced about it being an MMO in the traditional sense of MMORPGs but its still something that interests me and may interest others who arent happy with the Monster hunter franchise but want a similar game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

YES!!!

A series of mods for Civ5 which prevent you from advancing past x era! Wonder if it works with mods that slow down research...

Inkidu

By Jove, I think I like Amalur, too bad the studio hit on hard times. Well you know what, that's your punishment for making your next project an MMORPG. Those things are terrible.

Koren

Currently playing through the dozen or so games stacked up under my TV i haven't started or finished yet. At the moment Uncharted 3. WOW. The game looks amazing but somehow I think just running up on people and kicking their ass is not what they intended on the combat side of things.... but hey, it works for me. Cant aim for SHIT. hahaha

Sabby

Well, Spiderman is... not that bad -.- I was expecting a lot worse, but I'll be fair. The new camera is great. The webs connecting to the sky aren't as big a problem as I thought they'd be. But with your camera always facing forward, and Spidey's moves always dependant on your perspective, and dragging the camera to face that way, you can't really do half the stuff from the old games. Seriously, you can't even hook around any more :/ Ya know when you web the corner of a building and use it to throw yourself into a sideways corkscrew? None of that. You just do the same moves as forward, and the camera swings about with you.

Plus you can't release yourself at the bottom of a swing any more, which was hugely important! No matter when you release your trigger, you hover on upwards, so there's no way to transfer your momentum. You can't fall really fast to get your top speed then swing and catapult yourself directly straight. You'll just come right back up, every time.

And say goodbye to your Web-Zip. It's been replaced with Web Rush, the most self defeating game mechanic I've ever seen. If you thought quick travel ruined Oblivion, you'll hate Amazing Spiderman. If you thought that Takedown's ruined Splinter Cell, you will hate hate HATE Amazing Spiderman. Web Rush requires no effort, and it essentially automates the entire game for you. At least in Splinter Cell you had to set things up and then earn a token. And you could fuck it up.

Here, you look somewhere, press Right Bumper, and Spidey goes there. No effort requires on your part. He'll just web zip up, bounce off some walls, pull some Matrix running and parkour and boom, your there, in the point of empty sky you indicated. And guess what? You can spam it endlessly. I did a test just now where I would travel using only the control stick and Web Rush, and it was actually FASTER then web swinging.

Despite all this, the games pretty good. Combats shit, side missions are repetitive, but you were expecting that.

Inkidu

Yeah, I've kind of lost all faith in Spider-Man games. It's so simple to get right, but everyone always does it wrong.