Deception: Murdered in Hong Kong Game Thread

Started by Galactic Druid, January 04, 2016, 10:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Quote from: Kythia on January 10, 2016, 04:19:14 PM
See, my thing is "what else would he pick? What suits the cosmetic mask better? I think, if I had to pick one of those, it might be the one I picked.  Woodland spa resort and all. No need to cover it as it wasnt overly drawing attention away from Yugi006 unlike dawn.

Respectfully, I disagree.  If I was going for cosmetic mask, I would have picked "vacation house" as my hint.  (Vacation house = holiday = spa day = cosmetic mask)

I feel like the Woods clue was meant either to draw our attention to the Axe or the Fish Hook.  And fishing can be very relaxing...

Kythia

Quote from: Remiel on January 10, 2016, 04:28:07 PM
Respectfully, I disagree.  If I was going for cosmetic mask, I would have picked "vacation housse" as my hint.  (Vacation house = holiday = spa day = cosmetic mask)

I feel like the Woods clue was meant either to draw our attention to the Axe or the Fish Hook.  And fishing can be very relaxing...

I dunno, that chain feels tenuous to me. I know I've never used a cosmetic mask at holiday home and have at a woodland spa but then I don't own a holiday home, so... But I just don't see it. Matters not anyway.

Remiel

Well, I've never been to a spa, so you could be right. 

Then again, I'm willing to bet that neither has RPGuy.  :P

Galactic Druid

Quote from: Assassini on January 10, 2016, 03:23:03 PM
Actually, as I understand it, TRPG will have drawn another card but this time it's his choice whether to play it or not. So if it's something less relevant than the information we already have then he won't play it. (Of course I'd like it if TRPG could back me up that this is how the mechanics work).

Also, the voting going on has convinced me to go for it.

I accuse Madame Professor with the Fish Hook and the Cake.

EDIT; My bad, meant to hit quote.

I can't really say much while I'm also playing on a team, but there are reasons out there why a FSN would hold back on giving clues, or not give several in rapid succession.

Incorrect, I'm afraid.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

yugi006

Remember hat the locations are not limited to the ones Guyg has listed. There are other location boards which might have fit well with Cosmetic Mask but he chose Woods.

Quote from: Kythia on January 10, 2016, 04:32:03 PM
I dunno, that chain feels tenuous to me. I know I've never used a cosmetic mask at holiday home and have at a woodland spa but then I don't own a holiday home, so... But I just don't see it. Matters not anyway.

But the location is Woods not Woodland Spa.

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 10, 2016, 05:32:34 PM
I can't really say much while I'm also playing on a team, but there are reasons out there why a FSN would hold back on giving clues, or not give several in rapid succession.

Incorrect, I'm afraid.

Well, damn. That's both of my prime suspects shot down. I could have sworn one of those would be our murderer...

Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Quote from: yugi006 on January 10, 2016, 05:40:45 PM
Remember hat the locations are not limited to the ones Guyg has listed. There are other location boards which might have fit well with Cosmetic Mask but he chose Woods.

But the location is Woods not Woodland Spa.

This is a pretty valid valid point here about the locations.

I'm sure there are plenty of spas in some Woods, in fact I can totally see that being a relaxing atmosphere. However, again, this is one of those risks of being "too clever" and looking too deep into things here. TRPG wants us to get it, and so we have to look for first impressions. And when I see "Woods" my mind doesn't immediately jump to a woodland spa, especially not given the context of the game. No, I immediately picture a dense forest. Creepy pine trees looming overhead. Fog on the ground. Y'know, classic murder/horror forests, not enchanted forests.

So, anyway, back to business. Now, I don't think Yugi is completely off the hook here. I think it's PLAUSIBLE that it is Yugi with the Axe and Cosmetic Mask. However that just leaves out too many clues for my liking (particularly the Water Stain).

I think our most likely bet right now is Madame Professor with the Fish Hook and Bracelet, because that can still be tied in with pretty much every single clue (with the exception of Smell, but even that could sort of be tied in).

Honestly though, with three guesses gone already I suddenly feel a lot less confident about our chances here.

BAMF

Sorta waiting for the last clue, but everyone keeps using the phrase "off the hook," and there's a fish hook lying around. I can't help but have a little grin everytime I read it. ::)
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Assassini

Quote from: BAMF on January 10, 2016, 07:41:41 PM
Sorta waiting for the last clue, but everyone keeps using the phrase "off the hook," and there's a fish hook lying around. I can't help but have a little grin everytime I read it. ::)

Again, as I understood, it is up to TRPG whether or not to play this last clue and that means he may not, if he thinks there's a chance it will just confuse us further.

Galactic Druid

Forensic Scientist: The last clue will be covering up Victim's Clothes - Elegant.

Evidence left behind: Natural, Artistic, Written, Synthetic, Personal, Unrelated

I'm choosing Personal.

GM: That's the last one! The final round has begun. Make your best case for what you feel could be the solution, and don't forget to use or loose your vote by Wednesday Evening, 9PM Central US Time.

Remiel

All right, we're down to one of two things.  If I get it wrong, someone guess the other.

I accuse Madame Professor via the Fish Hook and the Bracelet.

Galactic Druid

Remiel

Thought as much.   I knew it couldn't be the Cake because of the Relaxation clue, and it couldn't be the Watch because of the Dawn clue.  Also, the Antique was eliminated because it was hard to picture an Antique as Elegant (possible, but I would have described an Antique as Bizarre).

For me, it came down to either Madame Professor / Fish Hook / Bracelet or yugi006 / Axe / Cosmetic Mask.   The clincher for me was when I went back and read what I said about both yugi006 and Madame Professor acting shady as hell, and then I remembered that yugi always acts shady as hell in these games.  ;D

But, really, I think we had pretty much arrived at that conclusion as a group.

Quote from: Strangefate on January 10, 2016, 04:11:45 PM
... making Madame Professor with the Fish Hook and Bracelet, and Remiel with Machinery and Umbrella my prime suspects now.

Quote from: Assassini on January 10, 2016, 06:23:32 PM
I think our most likely bet right now is Madame Professor with the Fish Hook and Bracelet, because that can still be tied in with pretty much every single clue (with the exception of Smell, but even that could sort of be tied in).

Also, Kythia's guess helped, as it eliminated the Ice Skates as a possibility--up to that point, it had been my #3 suspect.

Who was the accomplice, out of curiosity?

Madame Professor

I'm curious as to how I was "shady as hell"?
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Assassini

GGGGGGGG!

Nicely done Remi. Although you couldn't have done without us you sneaky man...

Quote from: Remiel on January 11, 2016, 02:44:18 PM
Thought as much.   I knew it couldn't be the Cake because of the Relaxation clue, and it couldn't be the Watch because of the Dawn clue.  Also, the Antique was eliminated because it was hard to picture an Antique as Elegant (possible, but I would have described an Antique as Bizarre).

For me, it came down to either Madame Professor / Fish Hook / Bracelet or yugi006 / Axe / Cosmetic Mask.   The clincher for me was when I went back and read what I said about both yugi006 and Madame Professor acting shady as hell, and then I remembered that yugi always acts shady as hell in these games.  ;D

But, really, I think we had pretty much arrived at that conclusion as a group.

Also, Kythia's guess helped, as it eliminated the Ice Skates as a possibility--up to that point, it had been my #3 suspect.

Who was the accomplice, out of curiosity?

Vera was the accomplice. Calling that right now.

Galactic Druid

JM was. That smell clue really did me no help, I must admit. While I appreciate your faith in me to make a cryptic clue from dawn, really I was just picking good fishin' time.

I always try to make clues as simple as possible, to make sure everyone can get them. I just plain didn't have much for bracelet, so my goal was to make sure everyone was so c onfidenf about the fish hook they wouldn't mind spending a guess or two to sort through MPs evidence.

persephone325

Well, I was half right. I thought it was Strangefate and JM. lol
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Assassini

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on January 11, 2016, 02:59:07 PM
JM was. That smell clue really did me no help, I must admit. While I appreciate your faith in me to make a cryptic clue from dawn, really I was just picking good fishin' time.

I always try to make clues as simple as possible, to make sure everyone can get them. I just plain didn't have much for bracelet, so my goal was to make sure everyone was so c onfidenf about the fish hook they wouldn't mind spending a guess or two to sort through MPs evidence.

Caaaaalled it.

Remiel

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 11, 2016, 02:54:31 PM
I'm curious as to how I was "shady as hell"?

Your silence, more than anything.  I don't think you hazarded a guess the entire time, except toward the end, when we were getting close.

Strangefate

Oh, good, I was at least on the right path!  Congrats Remiel for venturing the guess!

I wouldn't have guessed James as the accomplice though. 
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Madame Professor

I fear my silence was because of work and scheduling more than anything. :/ I don't normally like to be so quiet in these games. No matter what said I'm on.
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Remiel

Quote from: Madame Professor on January 11, 2016, 04:00:32 PM
I fear my silence was because of work and scheduling more than anything. :/ I don't normally like to be so quiet in these games. No matter what said I'm on.

Ah.  Well, lucky coincidence for me, then!  ;D

Madame Professor

Yeah! :P

I had something planned out a few times and then by the time I could post, everything would change! So I was like, crap... Back to the drawing board. I just kept running out of time when I would try to post.

Verasaille

I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Galactic Druid

Round 2's Setup is Up!

Please don't post until I have roles sent and the FS posts his first clue. Discussion begins after Remi's first post.Feel free to look at the Original post in this thread for the the current cards in play.

Remiel

Cause of Death- Suffocation, Severe Injury, Loss of Blood, Illness/Disease, Poisoning, Accident

The FS has picked Accident.