Hi there - feel like dusting off those windows for a new perspective?

Started by MagsCael, August 16, 2017, 05:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagsCael

I'm a new member here, but not to the world of roleplaying and character/storybuilding at large. By far!

Maybe you've read my introduction (https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=272963.msg13424279#msg13424279) but if you haven't, I've come here looking to explore some original characters of mine in settings outside of my control alone, so an RP partner who can lead a story as well as follow would be great.

Now bear with me here.....

The setting would be our world, roughly present day (could be earlier in the century or so), with a specific fantasy/sci-fi element.
See, imagine if a fraction of our population were invisible (or generally unperceived; seen, heard or felt). It's not that they can turn this way, like some superpower. It's that they're born this way, like a condition. To the majority of the population, they exist as a whisper in the wind, a flash of movement, a brush of something, if even that much.

Others can perceive them closer to normal in one sense, but not another; they might hear them enough to communicate, but can't see them. See them like a super-imposed image but not make out words. Feel touch distinctly but not know who or what caused it...Consider it all along a spectrum with any of the "knobs" for seeing, hearing and feeling capable of being set to different degrees in different people.

But to a rarer set, they can be perceived as completely as anyone else. To these "Full Perceivers", the Unperceived would be indistinguishable from the rest of the population. They could be talking to them and not even know they register differently on other people's radar (if at all) until a "normal" person questions how they can be talking so animatedly with themselves, or gives them weird looks for ordering more than one meal at a restaurant, etc....

One of my characters, Maggie, is of the Unperceived population.
Another, Michael, is a "Full Perceiver", though also with his own (non-fantasy/sci-fi condition) to deal with.

So I've been thinking of the following to roleplay:

Maggie
In general - could be like your average, slice-of-life roleplay, just with the perception factor. RP partner could play someone with partial or full perception, and/or another *Unperceived, and we just run with that. *All Unperceived have Full Perception of each other and themselves (they can look in the mirror).
No perception - RP partner could play someone with zero perception, who is "haunted"/helped by Maggie.
Full perception - RP partner plays someone who can completely (or pretty well) perceive Maggie and takes advantage of this, I.E. "Who cares how I treat you? Nobody's going to notice. Who's going to hear your side?"

I have an open "Maggie board" - feel free to jump in with this knowledge: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=273435.0

Michael
In college - RP partner would play the girl he's just getting into a relationship with, his own condition eventually complicating matters (his perception trait/the perception factor not coming up in this roleplay). A dormmate or rival, etc. (you know college) could also be played.

Likewise, an open "Michael board": https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=273200.0

Maggie and Michael as a couple
In college or afterward - RP partner(s) would play characters with no or low perception and we see how crazy people think Michael is (or not) for having an "imaginary" girlfriend! His own condition would also come up in this roleplay.

I'm open to suggestions, too...and of course feel free to ask for clarification on anything!
I was roleplaying with Maggie and Michael (separately) on another site and both worked well before the site closed down.

Also, as I do have the fantasy/sci-fi element, I'm open to a little more of that genre coming into play, though I would prefer the roleplay to keep to an "our world with a what-if? factor" feel rather than becoming a full blown alternate universe situation.....

I'm also used to roleplaying multiple threads, either with the same or different people, so if more than one scenario strikes your fancy we can get going on them concurrently!

Thank you, for bearing with me!  :-)