~ Word of the Day: Feedback & Comments! ~

Started by Blythe, March 21, 2017, 01:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RampantDesires

ZyperInk, I had to laugh out loud at your character's very husbandly reaction to hearing the word 'refurbish'  :D

And Shores, I had an It flashback, at two in the morning, in my dark and not quite as silent as I'd like it to be house. 

Massive thanks to everyone who has submitted lately!

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Flower

+1 to everyone's awesome contributions. I'm hoping to channel your energy and do another​ one. What's great about this is that I'm remembering the words, which helps my goal to improve my vocabulary. I'm trying to use them in my regular posts too. 🦄

ZephyrInk

Quote from: RampantDesires on May 04, 2017, 01:31:25 AM
ZyperInk, I had to laugh out loud at your character's very husbandly reaction to hearing the word 'refurbish'  :D

;D glad to have made you laugh!

Have to agree with Flower. This has been a great way to improve vocabulary!

RampantDesires

Today's word gave me a bit of a heart attack.  Have I been using demean wrong MY WHOLE LIFE and no one bothered to tell me!?!?!??!

I've always used the second definition:
Quote2demean
verb  de·mean
Definition of demean
demeaned; demeaning
transitive verb
:  to lower in character, status, or reputation careful not to demean his opponent demeaning the seriousness of the problem

I had absolutely no idea that it could be also used to mean, well, almost the exact opposite " to conduct or behave (oneself) usually in a proper manner".  My mind is blown.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Shores

Me too! I'm a bit lost as to how to use it in a sentence in a positive light. I tried to look around for examples of it used that way but it's hard to find any.

Flower

Does these help?

Examples

Theresa was proud of how well her boys demeaned themselves during the ceremony.

"He knew that he had been lackadaisical, and was ashamed of himself; and at once resolved that he would henceforth demean himself as though no calamity had happened to him." — Anthony Trollope, The Small House at Allington, 1864

Shores

Ohhh! Yes this helps a lot. Thank you Flower!

Flower

No problem. 💝. Seems like you would use it in the same way you would use 'behave' in a sentence.

RampantDesires

I love today's word, though I doubt it shall cure ALL my ills :D

Panacea is a greek goddess  And there is some pretty sweet art of her out there if that's your kind of thing!

I kind of want to write this as a full-fledged story, a goddess type who has a finite quantity of an elixir that can, in fact, cure all mortal ills.  How does the pressure of weighing one request/life against another wear upon an immortal being?  How do you appeal to someone who has heard every sob story and still has to make those tough calls day after day?  Such delicious drama!

RampantDesires

Shores.  I enjoyed your scene for today's word :-) you could really feel his determination and desperation.  However, I'm torn between wanting to see him be rewarded for persevering and wanting his blind companion to sigh and point out that she TOLD him to ask for directions.  The road less traveled isn't always the right one? Perhaps they'll at least let him cut in line? We can only hope! 

Flower

Today's word of the day is bringing out the feels. Jane and Shores' contributions hit me on the gut. I could feel the disappointment. No, the urgency and need to breakdown if the doctor while the blind man's success to reach the mountain was met by another line. I love how you guys chose to go dark but still ended with a sense of hope.

Flower

Quote from: RampantDesires on May 09, 2017, 12:01:44 AM
I love today's word, though I doubt it shall cure ALL my ills :D

Panacea is a greek goddess  And there is some pretty sweet art of her out there if that's your kind of thing!

I kind of want to write this as a full-fledged story, a goddess type who has a finite quantity of an elixir that can, in fact, cure all mortal ills.  How does the pressure of weighing one request/life against another wear upon an immortal being?  How do you appeal to someone who has heard every sob story and still has to make those tough calls day after day?  Such delicious drama!

You should do this! I wanna read it. 🦄

Shores

@RampantDesires LOL!!! That would be the icing on the cake. I don't know how long those people have been waiting in line for, so that probably affects whether they'll let him cut. I guess this is what happens when transportation advances are quicker than communications.

@Flower :D:D:D Thank you for your kind words. Well, at least the long line shows it's an effective panacea.

Caedy

Weee!!!

Today's word has been posted, and I'm gonna have to see if maybe I can toss something up for the words :D
No New Games At This Time
A/A updated Important: 6/2/17
Caedy's Pretty Things (SFW&NSFW)
Blog: My Bullet Journal Journey
Word of the Day
~...still like air, I'll Rise...~ Maya Angelou

RampantDesires

I love today's word too.  It is incredibly fun to say O.o suh-pah-zuh-TISH-us.  Good times!

Biblio  - Mercenary healer types are always fun to read and I like the phrase 'ameliorate your circumstances' just in general.

Dys Astyr - You set up the scene beautifully!  I was confused to see erstwhile put up as an adverb.  I've always used it as an adjective as well (ala erstwhile companion/king (Shores) /raider).  And it turns out we're right :p

erstwhile

adjective
former; of times past:
erstwhile friends.

adverb
Archaic. formerly; erst.

The sentence that webster uses as an example is: there's now a store where erstwhile lay green and pleasant pastures.

After reading it I guess I can see it but ... I dunno it still feels awkward to me.  I will continue to use it as an adjective and leave the archaic phrasing to days erstwhile.

Dys Astyr

Thank you.  ;D

I think in the proper setting erstwhile would make a fine adverb... Perhaps if you were trying to channel some old school tales of horror and the supernatural...
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

RampantDesires

Apologies for being super late with yesterday's word  :-[ I slept like 15 hours due to some lingering ick.  Anyway, the word grok ..

QuoteGrok may be the only English word that derives from Martian. Yes, we do mean the language of the planet Mars. No, we're not getting spacey; we've just ventured into the realm of science fiction. Grok was introduced in Robert A. Heinlein's 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land. The book's main character, Valentine Michael Smith, is a Martian-raised human who comes to earth as an adult, bringing with him words from his native tongue and a unique perspective on the strange ways of earthlings. Grok was quickly adopted by the youth culture of America and has since peppered the vernacular of those who grok it.

I am ... amused.  Grok to me FEELS like it should mean something else, like something strong or ... well... stupid, something cavemaney?  Instead it means intuitive understanding O.o I will have to try to work this in to normal posts just to see people's reactions :P

Dys Astyr

Hoodlum is one of my favorite words.  ;D
Alive! Trying to catch up but there is a lot, please be patient! Thank you. <3

RampantDesires

I'm also pretty fond of 'hooligan' as well :D

Beautiful Mystery

This came along with the word of the day today. I found it interesting!

Did You Know?

Baroque came to English from the French word barroque, meaning "irregularly shaped." At first, the word in French was used mostly to refer to pearls. Eventually, it came to describe an extravagant style of art characterized by curving lines, gilt, and gold. This type of art, which was prevalent especially in the 17th century, was sometimes considered to be excessively decorated and overly complicated. It makes sense, therefore, that the meaning of the word baroque has broadened to include anything that seems excessively ornate or elaborate.
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

Beautiful Mystery

I found this one interesting as well for today!

Did You Know?

Who wouldn't love something tax free? George Herpin did. He was a French stamp fancier back in the 1860s, when stamps were a fairly new invention. Before stamps, the recipient of a letter—not the sender—had to pay the postage. Stamps forced the sender to foot the bill, and created a lot of stamp lovers among folks on the receiving end of the mail—and a mania for stamp collecting. Timbromania was toyed with as a term to affix to this new hobby—from the French word for stamp, timbre. But when Herpin suggested philatélie (anglicized to philately), combining the Greek root phil-, meaning "loving," with Greek ateleia, meaning "tax-exemption," stamp lovers everywhere took a fancy to it and the name stuck.
Check A/A
The devil doesn't come dressed in a red cape and pointy horns.
He comes dressed as everything you have wished for.
O2//A2//Request//Boudoir

RampantDesires

Exciting times! 

Has been added to the opening posts of the WotD thread!

*adds more !!!! marks in for fun* .... !!!

We wanted some way to acknowledge those of you who keep coming back and submitting.  Reaching the double digits is a huge milestone!  As such when members reach 10 word posts their name will be added to the Hall of Fame.

As of right now only Shores currently has 10. 

CONGRATULATIONS Shores!
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!

But there are several of you who are very close and PMs be coming your way ;)

It is so much fun reading your take on some occasionally off the wall words.  A giant thank you to everyone who participates!

Shores

Yayyyy! Thank you!!!! I would like to thank all the word givers for their sometimes funny words.

Flower

Congrats, Shores! I hope to see the list of hall of fame grow!

RampantDesires

Quote from: Shores on May 31, 2017, 03:57:34 AM
On the fiftieth year of her reign, she abdicated her throne, then ran off to the Bahamas for surf, sand, and sun. It took a while for her bodyguards to be at ease, but she soon became known as the Surf Queen, a title which she kept until her glorious death by shark.

Bahahahahaha ... I had a tea incident requiring some quick desk clean up, but totally worth it :-) Thank you for the much needed laugh this morning Shores.  And totally appropriate with your screen name might I add!

Also *cues trumpets and fanfare ... or at least the sound of cracking stone and shattering glass*

CONGRATULATIONS Dys Astyr!
You've made it into E's WotD Hall of Fame!