News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Werewolves: New Blood

Started by Valerian, May 25, 2010, 01:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryven

He graciously smiled at Xandi who was one of his regular customers.  Ryven chose a fresh artisan loaf, still warm and fragrant from the oven.  He wrapped it in light cloth with the care only a maker could give to his creation before handing it over.  His variety of pie was most astounding as well, but suggested the strawberry with lattice crust as the berries were in season and quite delicious.  He wrapped the confection up with just as much care as his bread, and before their business had ended, he handed the beautiful lady a complimentary muffin for her walk home. 

"On the house, my lady Xandi."  He spoke with a smile and nod before turning to tidy up his shop.

Lord Mayerling

Mayerling dismounted his horse at a far enough distance to be sure he didn’t muddy the hem of Beguile’s flattering dress with the landing of his boots on the mud street. Subsequent to tying his horse, he removed his hat, placing it in the crook of his arm as his aristocratic strut closed the last of significant distance between them. His lips disappeared behind his ostentatiously groomed mustache as they curled into a greeting smile. “Is it possible you’re even more radiant than last we met?” he asked. Seeing the basket of local flora hanging from her arm, he enquired further about the availability of tobacco leaves for smoking in his pipe. 

In a potentially more disturbing observation, Mayerling noted the phases of the moon had reached mid-cycle, meaning the night’s moon would be full.

desert ashes

Barely had Moirae finished her morning cuttings and trimmings when the lovely Miss Xandi stopped by.  After a few idle minutes of chat -- mostly remarking on how well the weather had been these past few days -- and sending the dear woman off with her requested herbs, she got ready to take her own small trip into the village center.  Aside from having other herbs and tonics ready for sale, it'd be nice to meet some of the town folk and perhaps establish a couple more connections.  Besides, she rather thought the ladies alone could maybe form a weekly tea party.

Warmly she was smiling as she made her way toward the village green, her hair hastily swept up into a mostly neat bun secured at the nape of her neck, and a basket full of herbs dangling down from the crook of her elbow.  As it happened she had to pass the mason's home on the way, and she glanced over to see him and the other gentleman.  "Good day, gentlemen!" Moirae called out to Aiden and Potato as she lifted a hand in a friendly wave, and then paused to see if any had interest in fresh herbs or tonics. 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Beguile's Mistress

Lord Mayerling's approach brought a smile to Beguile's lips as she dipped a little curtsey and a pretty blush warmed her cheeks at his compliment.

"Thank you, m'lord.  I have been out gathering plants and roots for my lotions and ointments and flowers for sachets and perfumes.  It is possible that the exercise has brought a 'glow' to my complexion and put me in such good looks."  The lady watched him examine the contents of her basket and wondered if he noticed the distinctive leaves of the particular plant she had gathered.  The rumors of brutalized animals had disturbed her and the nature of the wounds had heightened her suspicions.  However, his lordship inquired after tobacco for his pipe which left Beguile wondering.

"I don't have tobacco in my basket today, m'lord, but if you'll step over to my cottage I have a few blends I've concocted from recently cured and dried leaves and containing the essence of apples and cherry." 

The modest cottage she indicated was a whitewashed dwelling with a low roof and many windows.  A small garden surrounded by a hedge decorated the front and behind, if one chose to look, extensive acreage was devoted to herbs and flowers as well as a vegetable garden all laid out in neat rows and appearing to thrive very well from Beguile's tender care.

"Please come in and have a seat while i bring out the pipe tobacco, and let me offer you something to drink.  I have tea or you might like a drop of sherry and I've several bottles of wine of my own making that I've been told rivals the best vintages of Europe."

The two entered the modest abode and immediately the young woman went to a cupboard which opened to reveal shelves stocked with many bottles, bags and crocks.  It was two of these crocks she removed and brought to the table after carefully closing and latching the cupboard doors.  Her earlier blush still painted her soft cheeks for she was very much aware of his lordship's masculine presence as he stood across the table from her.

"These are the blends I hope you'll like," she said looking up to meet his eyes with a gentle smile.

ScorpioQueen

Scorpio finished baking her warm cherry pie that she looked forward to eating later in the afternoon. That is, if one of the little children didn't steal it from her window as it was left out to cool. She began her daily chores around her home cleaning here and there, making sure things were tidy and put to order; a messy home wasn't ideal for someone with her obsessive compulsive habits. If anyone was to step foot into her little cottage they would wonder if it was just a model type home or if someone actually lived there.

Although she longed for friendship, she was very much alone after her husband had passed a few years prior in a horrible fishing accident, leaving Scorpio a widow. They were in fact soulmates and newlyweds with a fate that was cut too short. Still young, she sought out for a little town to live peacefully and just to gather her mind and become at ease without all of the "norm". Her family and friends would never be able to fill the void that had come after the death of her beloved husband. Maybe with all of the new villagers moving in she would be able to make some new friends rather than just visitors or people who only gave her sympathy.

For some reason, lately the town has been experiencing many troubles in the night, the mention of werewolves. Our poor hunter can't even go out to help the town out because of the darkness that lurks in the woods at night. Many of the towns people are limited to what they can do with fear of being hunted at night. Just when Scorpio thought she'd have peace..

The day was just beginning as the villagers began to mingle with one another, Scorpio was shy and would smile, wave and nod as a few people had past her little cottage. She grabbed her basket and headed down to the market to get a few odds and ends, hoping to meet a few new faces.
I'm your queen, you will obey me! Now tie me up and spank me!

The Unholy Potato

"I will comply as best I can, Aiden, but I cannot promise you much clay. The majority of the ground I have is very dry and difficult to work without trying to dig down and unearth something more. Though, if it takes you a week, as you say, I should be able to do some work in that direction," Potato explained quickly.

"And, yes, a wife would be a delightful luxury. I wish you the best of luck in that field," he agreed with a grin. He spent a few moments more chatting with the man before nodding and bidding him farewell, with the excuse that he needed to be to bed early in order to return to his fields in time to greet the sun.

However, with Moirae's greeting, he paused for a moment to inspect her stock. After a moment of running his eyes over the assorted greenery cluelessly, he asked, "Might you have anything to soothe muscles after a particularly tiring day? An overly optimistic hope, I might suppose, but I thought it worth inquiring, nonetheless."

Lord Mayerling

Mayerling entered Beguile’s cottage, holding his right hand behind his back in his relaxed, gallant stance. His head was only a few inches below the ceiling, but he didn’t seem bothered by it. There was little to detract from the place. It was a lovely home of whitewashed walls, and the stone flooring was quarried from the same that built The Manor. There was something wonderfully feminine about the amount of vibrant flora strewn about the place. He couldn’t help but wonder if she was able to cultivate cannabis, and whether she would try to offer him the magical herb.

When she offered a seat, Mayerling took it, placing his hat on the table next to him. He chose wine, and was happy with the instinct: the bouquet of the vintage mixed with that of the flora was blissfully intoxicating.

He pulled his pipe from his riding coat, looking across the table to his hostess. “May I sample them?” he asked politely, though knowing a man of his buying power wouldn’t likely be refused.

Aiden

Aiden nodded at the farmer and almost saw him off before Moirae approached the two. He remained silent as TUP spoke with her, his own question would wait but he made a motion with his arms that his back was sore and perhaps she could prescribe or apply a tonic or salve from her herbs that would help. He smiled at her, sending her a wink before he said good bye to the farmer and stood to walk back into his hut which would soon be replaced by brick.

Beguile's Mistress

Pleased that Lord Mayerling accepted the offer of her homemade wine Beguile took out a pair of fine crystal goblets and poured a generaous amount in one for his lordship and a smaller amount for herself.  The first taste is always the test she believed and smiled in pleasure at the look of enjoyment on the aristocrat's face.

She hoped he would find as much enjoyment in the pipe blends she had created and moved the two canisters toward him in response to his request for a sample.  "Of course, I have tobacco that is unadulterated, m'lord, but these blends produce a taste and aroma that is light and pleasing.  If you would like, sample one of them now and I'll prepare a packet with a sample of the other for you to try later this evening."  The canisters were clearly marked with their contents of apple and cherry blended tobacco and Beguile watched as the gentleman expertly packed and tamped the tobacco in the bowl of a superbly handcrafted pipe before lighting it and letting the aroma fill the room.

"Perhaps you would like to stroll through my garden a little while you enjoy your pipe, m'lord," Beguile said as she stood and gestured toward the back door of the cottage.  "You might find other plants and herbs that interest you.  I have an eclectic collection of flora from around the world.  My father was a renowned scientist and herbalist and my mother practiced holistic medicine.  They traveled extensively and my garden and small green house are their legacy to me as well as the education I received at their hands."

Valerian

The day passed pleasantly and quietly, as days seemed to do here.  The nights, however, were rapidly becoming another matter.  While the night before, several people had been woken by the distant howls of wolves, no one had been seriously disturbed.  This night was a different story.

Those who slept lightly were convinced that there were strange sounds during the night, furtive noises and the rushing of movement, far faster than anyone should have been able to run.  And the next morning, worse was discovered.  Susannah, the young widow of a man who had served as a soldier and died in battle, was now sent to join her husband.  Given the savagery with which she had been attacked, it was clear that the stories were true.  There were indeed wolves like no other here -- wolves which were, even now, masquerading as worried villagers.  They had to be found, and stopped.

• Aiden
  • Albedo
  • Beguile's Mistress
  • Esoteric Myobi
  • Imogen
  • Lord Mayerling
  • Lucius Cornelius
  • Moirae
  • Remiel
  • Ryven
  • ScorpioQueen
  • The Unholy Potato
  • Xandi

There are 8 Villagers, 1 Seer, 1 Guardian, and 3 Werewolves.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lord Mayerling

Mayerling knelt over the body of the deceased, observing how she had died. He had seen saber gashes before, but nothing like this. The young woman’s jugular had been severed, but the wound wasn’t clean. “Remiel,” Mayerling summoned the scholar over, “take a look at this. These wounds…too rough and random for a blade, correct?”

Mayerling rose from his kneel, deciding the wounds were caused by an animal, but became further disturbed as the body showed no signs of being eaten, the way an animal kill should look.

So I wasn’t dreaming…

[clarification: Remiel is NOT LM's vote, just seeking his expert opinion on the event]

Beguile's Mistress

Beguile stepped out of Susannah's cottage, blue-gray eyes huge in her ashen face, and looked at the gathered townsfolk.

"She's gone,"  Beguile gasped, "she's been killed by some sort of animal."  She looked from face to face knowing in her heart of hearts that someone facing her was responsible for this horrific tragedy.  Lord Mayerling had utter a name and it rang in her head but stuck in her throat as she tried to say it.  She wasn't sure why but she looked beyond Remiel to Ryven and that was the name on her lips a moment later.

Remiel

Remiel had been dozing in his cottage, slumped back in his chair, his glasses tilted at an askew angle, the Maleficarum: Ars Lycanthropos opened and tented upside-down on his lap, his knee the place-holder.  He snored loudly, dreaming of fighting ghostly hounds upon a desolate and forsaken moor.

The scream woke him abruptly from his slumber;  he blinked blearily, still rising through the fogs of semi-consciousness, that twilight state in which it is impossible to tell what is real from what is imagined.   He realized that all of the candles had burnt themselves out; he must have fallen asleep while reading. 

He wondered whether the scream, too, was a product of his overworked imagination, but morbid curiosity bade him button up his shirt and don his coat.  He arrived in time to see Lord Mayerling and Beguile's Mistress gathered around the garden of the widow Susannah, their faces pale and drawn.   The cause of their dismay soon became apparent as he discovered the woman's corpse upon the ground, her throat torn out. 

"Oh my," said Remiel, kneeling at the late Susannah's side. "Oh dear."  He fumbled in his coat-pocket for a small vial, and, using an eyedropper, collected some of the blood in the vial and held it up to his eye.   "Yas, yas, it iz az bad az I sot.  Zese bites vere not made by any ordinary animal, I am afraid.  Yu see ze vhite foam here? I am afraid zat zer cause vas a creature zat haz not been seeink in zome time, zat wuz previously sot to be extinct."

He pushed the bridge of his glasses further up his nose.  "I am referrink, uv course, to ze verevolf.  A creature zat iz like a volf, but zat iz able to dizguize itself in human form.  For all we know, ze creature zat did zis could even be one uv uz."

Aiden

With the rise of another day, Aiden was hard at work stacking bricks and demolishing his old hut to prepare the land for the foundation that would soon be his new home. He grumbles as he realized he would not have a place to sleep the next few nights but kept on working. A crowd was starting to form but he thought nothing of it at first.

(Gonna delay my vote want to see how others react to the news)

Autumn52

As Xandi began her walk into the town square to gather needed items for the day she noticed that a group of people were gathering in front of Susannah cottage.

She went to see what was going on, in hopes to see The General. Once she heard Beguiles announcement she gasp and went pale. As she listened to Remiel's assessment of events she felt sick. The thought that one of their own would do such a thing made her feel dizzy and faint.

Xandi finally said in a soft voice, "Who....Who would do such a thing? Werewolves? I thought those were all just tales to scare people, but now you are saying it is real. We have to make a defense against these things. The General he will know what to do, or Lord Mayerling, they could plan a defense perhaps they can help us."

Xandi was in shock and wanted to find comfort in the thought that someone, anyone, could save them for this horrible evil.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Valerian

Current voting:

Aiden(2) - Xandi, Imogen
Beguile's Mistress(1) - Ryven
Ryven(1) - Beguile's Mistress
Albedo(0)
Esoteric Myobi(0)
Imogen(0)
Lord Mayerling(0)
Lucius Cornelius(0)
Moirae(0)
Remiel(0)
ScorpioQueen(0)
The Unholy Potato(0)
Xandi(0)

Yet to vote: Aiden, Albedo, Esoteric Myobi, Lord Mayerling, Lucius Cornelius, Moirae, Remiel, ScorpioQueen, The Unholy Potato

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Ryven

He joined the others who had begun to flock around Susannah's small cottage, and as he approached, the worst was what he found.

"My god!  What sort of...monster would do this?"

Ryven looked up to find Beguile's casting a rather odd look in his direction to which he could only assume was accusatory.  Very well then.  He could play this sort of game as well.  He had nothing to hide beneath his flour and soot marred apron.  He was just a simple baker.

Autumn52

Xandi was surprised by the accusations that had been made. Ryven? He was such a nice man, and wonderful baker. He couldn't possibly be involved in this horror.

And Beguile she was the nicest woman ever. She was such a good herbalist, she would never be involved. Plus her face when she made the announcement, she looked as sick as Xandi felt. No Beguile would never be involved.

Who could it be? Who would do such a thing? Xandi had no clues but she had to place a vote.

She spoke up softly and said, "I don't know who could be involved and I don't know anything about this sort of thing. I would imagine that the persons involved would need to be very strong. The strongest man I know in the village is, Aiden so for now I place my vote there. But not that I really wish to do so."

Xandi could not imagine that anyone she knew would be involved but Aiden was so big and strong that he would be capable of doing a lot of damage to someone if he wished it. She had eyed his muscles just the day before.
May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

desert ashes

The news hit Moirae with a shock that morning, the simple normalcy of yesterday ripped away when she joined the others, taking in the ghastly sight.  Oh, dear heavens... Moirae couldn't stay within sight of the body, feeling all too queasy, and so kept herself tucked around the corner, though within clear earshot.  Who could have done such a horrible thing...? 

"Why would any of us do this?  Perhaps it was someone not in the village?"  One could hope!
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Imogen

Imogen had rushed from the small cottage when the news came. Skirts flaring, she came running over, carrying a basket with bandages and small, labeled bottles. When she arrived however, there was nothing that could be done for Susannah, except finding the one responsible for this heinous crime. She looked around her and nodded quietly when Xandi pointed out Aiden's strength. Still, she wasn't too certain. Remiel seemed to know quite a bit about of the murder and this verevolf. Was he just that learned, or was his knowledge more 'natural'? And Lord Mayerling, one of the first to arrive at the murdered woman's side?

Her gaze flitted from one to the other and she bit her lip, unwilling to choose between these people who she considered friends, and allies in building a new, safe home here. Perhaps Beguile's had been right, or perhaps Ryven. Each of them looked kind and friendly as she studied each of them in the early morning light. "Perhaps Aiden can tell us more?" She said, avoiding his gaze. Guilty or innocent, she really didn't want the strong stone mason angry at her.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Aiden

Finally curious at the gathering of people the sweaty mason took a break and went to see what was the commotion. His eyebrows furrowed as people looked at him for explanation.
"Lord Mayerling is the longest resident of this area...by the looks of his home he had been here long before all of us...surely he must know something."
He made small blessing for the dead woman but returned to his duties, it would do no good for him to grieve when there was work to do and a home of his to secure from whatever was out there.

Lucius Cornelius

Lucius is in shock after the news that he heard in is daily walk
"i can belive what is happening , i remember Susannah's husband we serve together some years ago, first him and now her ... oh  gods!"

he look to the other people gathering, looking for xandi, wonder if she is ok , then all begin to speak about who can be the killer, Lucius hear about Beguile's words of Ryven as the responsible, he know that she know a lot of news of what happened in town.

"Yes i think so, perhaps Ryven has a lot of things to explain"

Valerian

Current voting:

Aiden(2) - Xandi, Imogen
Ryven(2) - Beguile's Mistress, Lucius Cornelius
Beguile's Mistress(1) - Ryven
Lord Mayerling(1) - Aiden
Remiel(1) - Moirae
Albedo(0)
Esoteric Myobi(0)
Imogen(0)
Lucius Cornelius(0)
Moirae(0)
ScorpioQueen(0)
The Unholy Potato(0)
Xandi(0)

Yet to vote: Albedo, Esoteric Myobi, Lord Mayerling, Remiel, ScorpioQueen, The Unholy Potato

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

desert ashes

Torn, Moirae surveyed the group until her eyes settled on Remiel.  "I am sorry, but... it's far too suspicious you knowing so much."
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin

Remiel

Remiel blinked.  "Suspiciouz? Me? Mhy dear, iff I wuz ein verevolf, ze clever sink to do vould be to keep ein low profile, to blend in wis ze crowd.   Only ein total eediot vould stick out like ein sore thumb in ein square hole." 

He shook his head.  "Zere iz a vay to tell...iff I could haff ze blood samples from every-vun, I could test for ze verevolf disease...unfortunately, zat vould take several dayz. By zat time, ze verevolf, or verevolves, could haff killed us all." 

Reaching beneath his coat, he produced a Prussian cavalry-issue single-shot pistol and a bullet that gleamed unusually brightly in the sunlight.  "Zere iz anotter vay...iff ze verevolf is shot wis a bullet uv pure silver, ze purest of all metalz...it vill undo ze curse.  Unfortunately, it vill alzo rezult in ze death of ze afflicted."

He dropped the bullet in the gun's chamber and cocked the gun.  "I haf no idea who it might be.  But perhapz, ze creature iz wun who hazn't spoken yet, who iz hidink in ze background.  Somevun like...Esoteric Myobi...."