Demon: The Descent - Chronicles of the Middle East [semi-closed]

Started by Dakkon, July 14, 2014, 07:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakkon

Quote from: Riveda on July 18, 2014, 11:51:27 AM
Character concept: a Psychopomp Tempter, social-primary. His Cover is an American expat who works for a Greek import/export firm. Fell when ordered to create obstacles for a shipment and expedite it at the same time. Contacts, Resources, Cultists.
Sounds like a cool idea! Toss up a character sheet and we'll see what we've got. From a long term planning perspective, the most useful thing for me would be your preferred moods, first Key Embed and potential ideas for your cipher.

RubySlippers

Quote from: FallenDabus on July 17, 2014, 11:45:02 PM
If that's how you feel, okay, I can understand that. I may suggest that you could try to create a demon with a cover as a Westerner that's a fish out of water in the city, but it's totally your call. Hopefully you will get a chance to read and enjoy when the story begins!

I'll think about it, the problem for me is a lack of cultural knowledge if this was in a major American city it would not be an issue, but that nation is very different that is not bad but adds to the complexity. But she was not going to be scum more using tons of money and her cult to unlock the keys to unleash the Anti-God Machine or Old Ones or whatever is outside it. Her cover would be quite normal likely a moderate Sunni judge or something respectable.

Dakkon

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 18, 2014, 01:26:06 PM
I'll think about it, the problem for me is a lack of cultural knowledge if this was in a major American city it would not be an issue, but that nation is very different that is not bad but adds to the complexity. But she was not going to be scum more using tons of money and her cult to unlock the keys to unleash the Anti-God Machine or Old Ones or whatever is outside it. Her cover would be quite normal likely a moderate Sunni judge or something respectable.
That is certainly one of the challenges. If you're not familiar with the country, playing an expat could be a good idea, and they make up about 85% of the country's population anyhow. That clarification would make the character idea more viable though

RubySlippers

But she needs to work at something, I could make her a wealthy Western scholar of rare tomes and written artifacts give her excuse to seek the Necronomicon and other books.  >:)

But a Sunni Muslim it would be easier for a convert and she will be disabled enough to let her honor the ritual parts without all the motions.

I assume self-employment and all is employment that is a scholar not burdening the system its not a business proper. She could be teaching at the university to perhaps Ancient History, Archeology and Dead Languages.

Dakkon

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 18, 2014, 02:16:30 PM
But she needs to work at something, I could make her a wealthy Western scholar of rare tomes and written artifacts give her excuse to seek the Necronomicon and other books.  >:)

But a Sunni Muslim it would be easier for a convert and she will be disabled enough to let her honor the ritual parts without all the motions.

I assume self-employment and all is employment that is a scholar not burdening the system its not a business proper. She could be teaching at the university to perhaps Ancient History, Archeology and Dead Languages.

A Western professor of archeology could work great! Self employment can work, you'd just need to have a local partner.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with that second line though...

JohnTheGreat

At the moment I am looking at an Inuisitor Destroyer who is a pacifistic and still trying to adjust to his new life.

RubySlippers

Quote from: FallenDabus on July 18, 2014, 06:33:35 PM
A Western professor of archeology could work great! Self employment can work, you'd just need to have a local partner.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with that second line though...

I'm thinking visiting scholar ,you know someone who is important in a field, teaching some classes if she needs a reason to stay.

But its not likely needed an expert on pre-Islamic cultures of the region with a long list of languages should suffice with deep pockets.

JohnTheGreat

I've had a good look through the rulebook and made some decent progress on a character but man there is a lot more on these sheets to fill in than I am used to.

RubySlippers

Working on her, looking options over but going for heavily evade detection over fighting think of her as that elusive mouse in a home its there but no one sees it hopefully including Angels. Her concept is off a Guardian she was trusted to find out information on alien intelligences and old ones etc. mostly books for the God-Machine. She actually read passages from one and SAW one, hell even getting a dot and specialty in Forbidden Lore and now seeks to open the gate and let this rival force in.

I'm going to take two Agendas with the appropriate Merit an Inquisitor-Saboteur but could move to Integrator-Saboteur when she can unleash the Old Ones and join with them in the war on the God-Machine itself. Did I mention she is not totally sane the whole opening such a gate could start a war that would destroy reality is kind of beyond her now.  ^_^

I'm not sure do demons need to learn dead languages etc. its kind of confusing if they need to learn them like Babylonian? Not tom mention the insane languages of the Old Ones?

Dakkon

Quote from: JohnTheGreat on July 18, 2014, 07:30:58 PM
At the moment I am looking at an Inuisitor Destroyer who is a pacifistic and still trying to adjust to his new life.
Cool!

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 18, 2014, 08:17:14 PM
I'm thinking visiting scholar ,you know someone who is important in a field, teaching some classes if she needs a reason to stay.

But its not likely needed an expert on pre-Islamic cultures of the region with a long list of languages should suffice with deep pockets.
Okay, that makes sense.

Quote from: JohnTheGreat on July 19, 2014, 05:57:32 AM
I've had a good look through the rulebook and made some decent progress on a character but man there is a lot more on these sheets to fill in than I am used to.
Yeah, there is. You can post it bit by bit if you want to.

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 19, 2014, 02:44:56 PM
Working on her, looking options over but going for heavily evade detection over fighting think of her as that elusive mouse in a home its there but no one sees it hopefully including Angels. Her concept is off a Guardian she was trusted to find out information on alien intelligences and old ones etc. mostly books for the God-Machine. She actually read passages from one and SAW one, hell even getting a dot and specialty in Forbidden Lore and now seeks to open the gate and let this rival force in.

I'm going to take two Agendas with the appropriate Merit an Inquisitor-Saboteur but could move to Integrator-Saboteur when she can unleash the Old Ones and join with them in the war on the God-Machine itself. Did I mention she is not totally sane the whole opening such a gate could start a war that would destroy reality is kind of beyond her now.  ^_^

I'm not sure do demons need to learn dead languages etc. its kind of confusing if they need to learn them like Babylonian? Not tom mention the insane languages of the Old Ones?
Yes they do. Demons are fluent in any native spoken language that humans have. Babylonian is only spoken by academics, it is no longer anyone's first language, and the languages of other creatures, such as the spirits, Great Old Ones, and True Fae are must be learned by humans, thus demons too.

RubySlippers

Sorry watched all the Evil Dead movies and a few based on Lovecraft's works so am getting into character on her Anti God-Machine Theory her view is order is stronger but not creative and in ancient times it pushed out its rival as in disorder but gates to it are there she found a small one and there must be bigger ones. These locked by the God-Machine who is using creation to hold them closed these fulcrums can be turned and opened but the knowledge must be found. Demons are a side effect of these gaps in the works entropy wrenching levers in ancient times and they never recovered. If they can open a BIG one it might cause a crippling of the God-Machine freeing more angels maybe even be a critical blow in the system.

By gate I mean a mystical or technological or both are likely holes in space/time/dimensions that poke holes into another universe not likely actual gates.

Of course she could just be nuts but its a goal to go after.  >:)

EDIT:

How does this look for her evasion demon form?

DEMON FORM
Modifications:
Armored Plates (articulated hard chitin)
Inhuman Intelligence
Slippery Body
Technologies:
Blind Sense
Mirrored Skin
Propulsion:
Spatial Distortion
Process:
Wound Healing

The goal is to enhance her intellect, sense threats and run away evading enemies if in full demon form. Hopefully that won't be needed.

JohnTheGreat

For my demonic form I was thinking:
Armoured plates, Fast attack, Inhuman strength
Fire resistance, Glory and terror
Wings
Rain of fire

I'm going for more of a medieval-biblical kind of angel, a knight of heaven, but set on fire.

Rook Seidhr

Trimming my commitments again…better to drop out now than later. Sorry. Have fun!

RubySlippers

Quote from: JohnTheGreat on July 19, 2014, 08:21:54 PM
For my demonic form I was thinking:
Armoured plates, Fast attack, Inhuman strength
Fire resistance, Glory and terror
Wings
Rain of fire

I'm going for more of a medieval-biblical kind of angel, a knight of heaven, but set on fire.

Seriously bad ass.

Dakkon

Quote from: Riveda on July 19, 2014, 08:43:45 PM
Trimming my commitments again…better to drop out now than later. Sorry. Have fun!
No worries! You too!

We may be able to run with two, but I'd hope for at least one more. If anyone else is reading this, there is still space!

RubySlippers

This set of rules are to complicated I played with the oWoD rules for the Fallen and liked it a lot better, sigh, I tried but I have to bow out. Sad to. How come every new game is more complicated I'd rather get a character kind of made up, check off some things and the like and be g2g in twenty minutes.

ChaoticSky

Rajah

Quote from: RubySlippers on July 20, 2014, 05:49:40 PM
This set of rules are to complicated I played with the oWoD rules for the Fallen and liked it a lot better, sigh, I tried but I have to bow out. Sad to. How come every new game is more complicated I'd rather get a character kind of made up, check off some things and the like and be g2g in twenty minutes.

It's really easy once you know the system. As someone who's played both oWoD and new, you have a LOT more stuff to consider in the oWoD, it's just that the information is familiar to you. Stuff like soak and splitting action pools and the giant skill list you've learned already. Once you know the nWoD, though, you can throw together a character in under 15 minutes if you have a shape clearly in mind. The new powers take a bit longer, but Demon: the Descent is really, really streamlined, especially compared to Fallen.

Working on a Saboteur, Incarnation uncertain. His character concept for the moment is "Wiccan terrorist," exploiting the social instability and religious conflict in the Middle East to infect frustrated and abused women with a weaponized variant of Wicca loosely adapted to local mythologies (spirits becoming djinn, the athame becoming the pesh-kabz) focused around themes of the feminine divine, liberation from social mores, and of course, blood sacrifice. Might lead by example as a blasphemy-spouting berserker Sword or focus more on the whispers that breed fanatics and suicide bombers as a Trumpet. Use the growing feminism movement as a staging ground to assault Infrastructure reliant on authoritarian culture, monotheistic symbolism, men in positions of power, women living quiet lives, whatever; it's an angle, and he exploits it ruthlessly.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Dakkon

Quote from: Darkling on July 20, 2014, 09:31:21 PM
*raises hand* Is it Demon only now?
I could allow some other types of supernaturals in if John and Rajah are okay with it and it raises interest. The biggest determiner in that would be what you have in mind.

Quote from: Rajah on July 20, 2014, 11:49:36 PM
It's really easy once you know the system. As someone who's played both oWoD and new, you have a LOT more stuff to consider in the oWoD, it's just that the information is familiar to you. Stuff like soak and splitting action pools and the giant skill list you've learned already. Once you know the nWoD, though, you can throw together a character in under 15 minutes if you have a shape clearly in mind. The new powers take a bit longer, but Demon: the Descent is really, really streamlined, especially compared to Fallen.
I have to agree. I never played oWoD, but nWoD is one of the most streamlined RPGs I've seen. My girlfriend had never played any type of RPG before, but we still managed to make a nWoD character for her in about 20 minutes. Demon takes longer since there are more parts, but they are still pretty simple and easy to crank out if you are familiar with the game.

Quote from: Rajah on July 20, 2014, 11:49:36 PMWorking on a Saboteur, Incarnation uncertain. His character concept for the moment is "Wiccan terrorist," exploiting the social instability and religious conflict in the Middle East to infect frustrated and abused women with a weaponized variant of Wicca loosely adapted to local mythologies (spirits becoming djinn, the athame becoming the pesh-kabz) focused around themes of the feminine divine, liberation from social mores, and of course, blood sacrifice. Might lead by example as a blasphemy-spouting berserker Sword or focus more on the whispers that breed fanatics and suicide bombers as a Trumpet. Use the growing feminism movement as a staging ground to assault Infrastructure reliant on authoritarian culture, monotheistic symbolism, men in positions of power, women living quiet lives, whatever; it's an angle, and he exploits it ruthlessly.
Sounds cool!

Rajah

Is anyone else still working on a character?

Also, Dabus, do you have Flowers of Hell?
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Dakkon

Quote from: Rajah on July 23, 2014, 01:02:34 PM
Is anyone else still working on a character?
I have been wondering that too. If not, I'll PM you and we'll work something out.

Quote from: Rajah on July 23, 2014, 01:02:34 PM
Also, Dabus, do you have Flowers of Hell?
I do indeed!

JohnTheGreat

I have most of mine worked out, just haven't gotten around to finishing it.

Dakkon

Dakkon

Given that there appears to be a low level of interest in this one, I'm going to close this thread. With that said, I still intend on running this version of the game, and I'm going to try to open up the concept so that more people can take part. If you are interested in this idea, keep an eye out for the new thread in the coming days.