News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I was expecting whiter hair and a more prominent black tattoo over his right eye. Like in the X-Men animated series.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

wander

Naw, I like it... He looks great. Also in the comics, he had a scar X over his eye, no tattoo.

My mate's gonna fanboy squee over that Brolin pic. He digs Cable.

Normie

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 06, 2017, 10:41:37 PM
Deadpool 2 has its first pic of Domino now.

Laying atop a Deadpool rug  ::)

I'm not digging the fro but that's just me. *shrugs* Won't stop me from seeing the movie and probably liking the character performance.

Was Domino African-American in the comics? I'm not overly familiar with them, but I seem to remember Domino being white. Not that I mind if they race-lifted her, it's just something I was wondering about.

wander

She had literal white skin with a black dot in the comics. Could be a case that she nailed a later audition when they were struggling to cast and they adapted the character for her.

To a lesser extent they did this with Chris Pratt for Starlord, not the race thing, though originally they wanted Starlord to be fairly serious and solemn and made him more jokey and light-hearted when he came and nailed an audition using that kind of reading of the script.

Normie

Well, any time that a character is changed from white to a different race, you have to be ready for the inevitable groups that will come in and start raising hell because of "social justice warriors forcing diversity" and the like. If politics is the actual reason for changing a character's race then I'm not a big fan of that myself but I think people are too quick to just jump to that conclusion before seeing how the character is actually written. Hopefully it's just a re-interpretation of the character which still works well with the setting or even brings a fresh take to her, as you suggested.

SapphireStar

Looks like the Justice League movie is already in trouble. Reports about early cuts of the film are deemed "Unwatchable". Joss Whedon is reported as making substantial changes. Apparently Warner Bros thought the tone of the movie was way too dark.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 12, 2017, 12:38:53 AM
Looks like the Justice League movie is already in trouble. Reports about early cuts of the film are deemed "Unwatchable". Joss Whedon is reported as making substantial changes. Apparently Warner Bros thought the tone of the movie was way too dark.

The company that made Man of Steel, Batman vs. Superman, and Suicide Squad thought JL was 'too dark'? What did they do, set orphaned puppies on fire?

wander

Maybe the tone was dark and unwatchable as it was so non-lit it was 2.5 hours of black screen...  ;D

TheSithChicken

Just the sound of rain, crying, and grunting behind a black screen with someone screaming "Martha!" every couple of minutes.

RubySlippers

Well WW just grossed $400 million and what did their other dark movies do let me check Man of Steel opening world wide averaging it out and a guess $200 million and the former is just in the US and its still drawing people to IMAX theaters locally.

The other movies did worse.

So my guess they need to bring in them damned Heroes with the Big H and be less dark and more epic good guys or go home. I said that before. And any sequels or stand alones better be more like WW even the Suicide Squad which I liked had poor camera work and well needed to make them a bit more as a team heroic with a smaller h and flesh them out more with a good villain like hurl them against one of Darkseid's lackeys maybe if it works for the team.

mia h

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 12, 2017, 12:47:51 PM
Well WW just grossed $400 million and what did their other dark movies do let me check Man of Steel opening world wide averaging it out and a guess $200 million and the former is just in the US and its still drawing people to IMAX theaters locally.

The other movies did worse.
MoS : US  $291 Gobal $667 Production $225 RoI 2.96
BvS : US  $330 Gobal $868 Production $250 RoI 3.47
SS : US  $325 Gobal $746 Production $175 RoI 4.26
WW : US  $400 Gobal $790 Production $150 RoI 5.26

Sure there are differences but looking at the raw numbers overall they're not that big for the last 3 movies, BvS did better in non-US markets than the others but also had larger expectations. SS numbers are lower but it was released in August when numbers tend to be lower anyway. WW seems to have greater staying power but hasn't broken any box office records unlike the other two.
So it looks like DC are learning their lessons not unlike the way Marvel did after the total stinkers that were Hulk and The Incredible Hulk
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

Apparently things are getting so ugly with JL that Wheldon is redoing the entire ending in some of those changes he's working on.

Question is, was it First Blood bad?
In the original cut, Rambo after pouring his heart out to his former commanding officer, committed suicide right then and there. It was deemed too depressing so it was changed to the canon ending of him being arrested.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

wander

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on August 12, 2017, 04:24:32 PM
Apparently things are getting so ugly with JL that Wheldon is redoing the entire ending in some of those changes he's working on.

Question is, was it First Blood bad?
In the original cut, Rambo after pouring his heart out to his former commanding officer, committed suicide right then and there. It was deemed too depressing so it was changed to the canon ending of him being arrested.

Ending changes happen a lot, that's kind of why test screenings happen, to track down what works and what doesn't.

First Blood novel spoiler
In the original novel 'First Blood', Rambo dies after being shot in the head with a shotgun by Trautman, after Rambo has been shot by Teasle and chased out of town, he puts on a show for Teasle to go out with a decent death. Though when Rambo fires at Teasle he accidentally hit him and shot him down (he planned to miss and have Teasle kill him). The ending has Trautman approach the dying Teasle and tell him he killed Rambo, before Teasle dies from the gunshot wound.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 12, 2017, 12:38:53 AM

Most of every cut of BvS was unwatchable, including the finished product and extended cut. This is a surprise?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Not really. It has also been announced apparently Marvel is putting into production a Silver Sable and Black Cat movie. Not sure how I feel about it. The director they picked for it doesn't have a track record of doing any action films or the like.

TheSithChicken

Sony is making that movie. They have the rights to both of those characters.

Mathim

My theory: The Venom movie and the 'Black and Silver' movie aren't happening.

wander

I see Venom happening, they have Tom Hardy. Now when it'll happen is another question.

I mean, Black Adam/Shazam and Gambit have been in and out of development hell for a while. Out of the three, I see Gambit being quelled.

Mathim

I see all 3 getting shitcanned. They're already preparing to reboot the X-Men universe from what we can tell after the next movie or two.

mia h

Just finished watching the first episode of Defenders, and so far so good. But there's one thing that I can't decide if it's clever cinematography or just annoying and distracting, it's the way each scene is color coded to match the character, once you see what's going on you can't unsee it.

edit :
Yeah the whole 'painting by numbers' get old very quickly.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Started Defenders, was a little rocky (one of the first fight scenes had so many rapid jump cuts I thought I was having a seizure) but I like how they didn't just throw them all together the way they did the Avengers. Jessica Jones is slightly less intolerable than she was in her own show which is a plus. Almost halfway through it, so hopefully I can finish it before the weekend is over.

SapphireStar

The interaction between Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Matt Murdoch was pretty good. Danny Rand's character was still on the annoying side.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on August 21, 2017, 11:30:53 PM
The interaction between Jessica Jones, Luke Cage and Matt Murdoch was pretty good. Danny Rand's character was still on the annoying side.

I did like his speech in the boardroom before they all ganged up on him and the others had to come to his rescue.

CaptainNexus616

I dare someone to have take a drink every time he said. "I'm the immortal Iron Fist." In both Iron Fist and Defenders  :P
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌