Sarah Palin to resign as Governor of Alaska

Started by Avi, July 03, 2009, 05:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silk

Quote from: The Overlord on July 04, 2009, 05:53:56 PM
Sarah Palin running for president 2012, maybe and maybe not, we'll see. We ARE talking about the same political party that’s got its ear turned to Rush Limbaugh.

Sarah Palin sworn in as president...this is when I'll know America has taken complete leave of its senses, and I'll be looking at the possibility of Canadian or European citizenship.

Don't come here weve allready fallen with gordon brown, seriously take this sentence and try to make sense of it.

"We will borrow our way out of debt"

Cherri Tart

i think a big scandel involving her is about to break, and she's stepping down before it does. :)
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Silk on July 04, 2009, 06:12:02 PM
Don't come here weve allready fallen with gordon brown, seriously take this sentence and try to make sense of it.

"We will borrow our way out of debt"

Isn't that sort of like screwing for virginity?   ;D

Trieste

Quote from: consortium11 on July 04, 2009, 03:20:48 PM
If the economy is still the big issue in 2012 (which it probably will be) then expect Romney to be the preeminent ticket, although he'll probably have a Palin type to fire up the evangelical base.

*twitch*

If Romney gets elected president, he'll end up taking vacations in Jakarta, giving away all our money to west Indonesia for the sake of one of their more conservative politicians to lose to a formerly-behind leftist, and he'll never be in the white house because he's too busy schtupping for Japan one moment and the Czech Republic the next.

(Can you tell I'm from Massachusetts and I'm bitter, oh yes.)

Jude

I really doubt Romney would ever be elected because of his faith.  I wish we were a nation where that didn't matter, but I just don't think we are.

Trieste

I don't even know what Romney is as far as religion goes. I just know he was a delinquent ass of a governor.

Oniya

Just got back from looking it up - he's Mormon.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ShrowdedPoet

The thought of Palin making VP gave me nightmares.  I am quite serious about that.  I hated hearing her talk. . .it gave me a headache and I hated hearing what she said, it made me want to give her a Gibbs head-slap.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Zeitgeist

I'm amazed at the amount of left leaning people so filled with disdain, and sometimes hatred for a strong, intelligent and accomplished woman and mother, regardless of her political leanings. Speaks volumes.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on July 05, 2009, 10:09:12 AM
I'm amazed at the amount of left leaning people so filled with disdain, and sometimes hatred for a strong, intelligent and accomplished woman and mother, regardless of her political leanings. Speaks volumes.

I saw no intelligence from her.
Ons and Offs

consortium11

While I'm not exactly left-leaning honestly, it's hard not to be disdainful of Palin. She went for the lowest common demoninator in the presidential campaign, she was a walking gaff-machine on the level of Biden at his worst, she preached one thing and practiced another and she attempted to abuse her position.

I'm just as disdainful of the people on the left who screw up... Hillary for example. There's a whole host of people of all genders, sexualities and races in UK politics I'm completely disdainful of all across the political spectrum. Idiocy and hypocrisy is a talent that goes across the matrix of political positions.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on July 05, 2009, 10:29:13 AM
I saw no intelligence from her.

Because you choose to view her through the biased lens of such vaunted journalistic outlets such as MSNBC and Huffington Post.

She was elected to at least two executive political appointments (mayor, governor), not quite the same as say, community organizer or state legislator.

ShrowdedPoet

Who said I viewed her through any lenses but my own?  You make assumptions and I'd like to tell you they were wrong.  I don't dislike her because of what I read about her.  I dislike her because of what I saw out of her herself.  I saw absolutely no intelligence there, actually I saw a lot of ignorance and stupidity.  If you have proof of this new and improved intelligent Palin I'd love to see it.
Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

I can think of many words to describe Palin, but intelligent is not amongst them. Frankly I had never heard of her before she was chosen as the republican VP nomination. I consider her choice there not because of her qualities, but to try and cash in on demographics. Look everybody, we have a woman!

Her behaviour during the campaign was the worst kind of political polarisation, and playing to the absolute base of the right wing. Her interviews showed she was well out of her depth.

That is what has brought her to be viewed with disdain. And not just by left leaning people. I believe there are those on the right who are now equally dismissive of her, believing that she cost McCain percentile points in the election.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kurzyk

She may have been successful in earning mayor and governor, but I do believe her pick as VP was a political move on McCain's part and she was way over her head.

She was well versed in the speeches about topics, but didn't have a solid enough grasp of the material to be a VP or quite possibly president of the US. And as demonstrated in the interviews with Katie Couric, she was a disaster.

I commend her efforts though, even though I disagreed with a lot of what she stood for. But she was way over her head.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on July 05, 2009, 10:36:35 AM
Who said I viewed her through any lenses but my own?  You make assumptions and I'd like to tell you they were wrong.  I don't dislike her because of what I read about her.  I dislike her because of what I saw out of her herself.  I saw absolutely no intelligence there, actually I saw a lot of ignorance and stupidity.  If you have proof of this new and improved intelligent Palin I'd love to see it.

I believe I just gave you two pieces of evidence, factual evidence. One doesn't successfully run for and operate successfully as mayor and governor while being 'stupid' and ignorant'.

Where likely the hatred for her comes from, be it from you or others is, she's a devote Christian woman who is pro-life. To her detractors that is seen as unfaithful to a liberal feminine agenda. Its horrifying to some (maybe not you or someone reading this, but to some) that a strong, independent minded woman would actually be pro-life, and in some position of power.

Oh and I've said my peace on this. Certainly feel free to disagree! :)

Oniya

This past year, there have been other elected governors who have left office under the cloud of scandal.  I'm sure that they were strong, intelligent and accomplished fathers.  A woman can be strong, intelligent and accomplished, and still earn my disdain, regardless of her reproductive status or political party. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on July 05, 2009, 10:55:19 AM
I believe I just gave you two pieces of evidence, factual evidence. One doesn't successfully run for and operate successfully as mayor and governor while being 'stupid' and ignorant'.

Where likely the hatred for her comes from, be it from you or others is, she's a devote Christian woman who is pro-life. To her detractors that is seen as unfaithful to a liberal feminine agenda. Its horrifying to some (maybe not you or someone reading this, but to some) that a strong, independent minded woman would actually be pro-life, and in some position of power.

Not evidence.  I've seen many ignorant and stupid people get to positions such as those.  You don't have to be smart to get somewhere. 

I am not Christian and I haven't got a problem with real Christians but I don't view this woman to fall under that category.  I believe in the sanctity of life.  I wouldn't have an abortion but it's everyones right to do so.  I feel conflicted about the subject and it really is off topic here.  I don't see her as strong or independent.  I still see no proof that she is intelligent.  I have heard that she did a shitty job in both of the afformentioned posts that she held and that the Alaskan people hate her. 
Ons and Offs

TheVillain

Keep knocking away at that straw man Zam! Maybe if you skew the other guy's position enough, you can make yourself into the good guy!

Seriously, it's like you are living in a different reality then we do. Who said they hated her because she was a christian? A woman? For being anti-abortion?

I don't see anyone. A few don't like her for being a fundamentalist, but there's a huge difference between being a christian and being a fundamentalist christian. A similar difference as being a normal, peaceful muslim and being an islamic terrorist actually- (not quite to the same degree obviously). Nobody really gave a shit that she was a woman, at least not in a negative way. As for being anti-abortion, my problem isn't that her opinion leans this way- my problem is that she's willing to use governmental power to force other people into behaving like she wants them to behave in this issue and others without even a moment's hesitation of consideration for other people's beliefs and opinions. That is called Fascism, for those of you viewing at home.

(And no, I did not call her a nazi- I called her a Fascist. Yes, Nazism is a flavor of Fascism- but not one that applies to Palin. To barrow an analogy, if Fascism were ice cream I insisted that she's of one of the 31 flavors- but not vanilla. Please do not try to hit me with Godwin's Law, I do know what I'm talking about.)
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Vekseid

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on July 05, 2009, 10:09:12 AM

I'm sure you'll heap praise on Hillary.

This thread is about Sarah Palin. The woman who managed to turn a two million dollar a year budget surplus into eighteen million dollars in debt despite a 50% tax increase, despite receiving nearly $27 million in federal earmarks.

To put another way, this 'fiscal conservative' managed to blow through the better part of a hundred million dollars for a town of six thousand. Something akin to $15,000 per person, or $2.5k per person per year.

But Obama starts a stimulus package for ~1.5k per person total, and by golly he's going to bankrupt the country!

Seriously, Palin is a financial nightmare. She runs a state with an eighth of Minnesota's liberal population, on a budget of half of it.

She got herself elected.

Congratulations. To paraphrase a running gag about Bill Clinton, of all people, "How many mayors are responsible for more people?"

Getting elected says nothing about her ability to run.

Edit: $3k per person total, am tired >_>

kylie

Quote from: Paradox
My conspiracy theory is that she had an affair with a moose and wants to flee the public arena before the video is released lest people find out.

I don't get to say this often enough:       ROFL!    ;D

Quote from: TheVillain
But she's a Republican? Aren't affairs with young men standard issue? No matter your gender?

Rofl x 2       
Yes. 
Complete with coverups.   
Or was it simply pointing to still-devoted wife and being re-re-re-re-re-re-Born Again.   
(Did I count right?)
No empirical evidence on display here, it just seems like such a common Republican strategy.  Trot out the ever-faithful-on-stage spouse and scream Evangelical Crusader Exceptionalism (sponsored by Halliburton) , make that "God is still on our side, no one else's."

Quote from: Cherri Tart
i think a big scandel involving her is about to break, and she's stepping down before it does. :)
How many scandals is one elected official entitled to?  In Alaska, of all places?  Wait, don't answer that.

And, are you suggesting this is supposed to make her somehow look "ethical"?  Is she going to point to stepping down later as evidence of her good conscience?  "See I didn't tax and spend on infrastructure we neglected for 40 years like those people; I taxed and spent on myself and fled the inquiry, like a good president."  Just curious if that's part of the package.

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on July 05, 2009, 11:01:10 AM
I've seen many ignorant and stupid people get to positions such as those.  You don't have to be smart to get somewhere. 

Agreed.  Or perhaps, you might call it a different kind of smarts (kiss-up-savvy, anyone?). 
We just left 8 years of the Bush fraternity, which didn't exhibit the greatest rhetorical skill or knowledge of geography in its figurehead either.  The same argument holds against claims Palin could never get elected president (although I like to think it's pretty unlikely).  The question then would be, what sort of Dick Cheney & Companies would actually be keeping house.

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist
She was elected to at least two executive political appointments (mayor, governor), not quite the same as say, community organizer or state legislator.

Perhaps you mis-referenced US Senator for Illinois in that?  And given that the Republicans are now the ones whispering "fillibuster" and "procedural rules" so often, maybe it doesn't hurt to have a little legislative experience in the Oval Office. 

Besides, I don't think election is necessarily proof of capability.  Nor is Palin's mark of firebrand, or was it gosh gee whiz that's how good real American moms go shooting in Alaska, independence -- if you wish to call it that. 

In addition to her being chosen by the political establishment apparently to play to base interests (yes, against some feminisms -- but not only the liberal kind) in disastrous efforts to salvage what was already a wildly flailing campaign...  I don't see evidence she has much clue what's going on in the wide world.

Jude

I have an enormous amount of respect for anyone who manages to overcome the stereotypes of their position and create a unique point of view for themself.  For that reason, any woman who happens to NOT be pro-choice (when it clearly is in the favor of every woman to be) automatically gets a bump up in my estimation.  I really respect independent minds.

So your argument that that is the reason why I dislike Sarah Palin is a really poor attempt to try and paint those who dislike her as something they're not.  I am not a liberal.  I am not pro-choice (or really pro-life).  I'm a centrist in every way when it comes to politics.  I didn't like her because she was a far right moron, not because she was pro choice or Christian.

Using her being a mayor as a reason why she couldn't possibly be dumb shows ignorance on the subject.  I've seen multiple interviews of the current Mayor of Wasilla, and there's really not much to the job.  As for her being governor as another example, by all accounts she did a terrible job (there's been a ton of controversies) and didn't even manage to finish one term.

Furthermore, yes, the Huffington Post and MSNBC are left-leaning.  MSNBC gets worse as the day goes on.  With each commentator things become more and more liberal.  And the Huffington Post in general is just a pile of crap.  There's people who write New Age bullshit articles there too, which are abominations and lies about science.  I can't even read the Huffington Post without getting irritated.  But for all the bad that those two media outlets are, Fox News isn't any better.  Any favorable media coverage you're attributing to her probably came from there (unless you're talking about the initial media blitz right after her introduction into the mix), and that's not because everywhere else is biased.

She comes off as surprisingly stupid, flippant, arrogant, completely saturated in her own ideology, and blind of people different than her.  During the campaign she openly chopped the country up into segments of "genuine people living in small towns" versus the "other" folk, strongly implying people who lived in certain areas of the country weren't true Americans.  She pushed the envelope on every stupid thing they could find to attack Barack with in the waning days of the campaign, including the whole PLO link to the guy Obama met, who (if I recall) wasn't actually who she claimed he was 100%.

Did you not see the Vice Presidential Debate where she winked 50,000 times in a pathetic attempt to charm the audience while blatantly refusing to answer the questions asked to her (not even in a savvy political way, she actually acknowledged she wasn't going to answer them) for the benefit of the very people she was attempting to enthrall?  The woman preaches abstinence only education while her daughter is a teenage mother.  She still preaches it too.  Gee, that's not stupid, is it?  Most importantly of all, she didn't know if Africa was a country, a continent, or something else entirely.

And she's been even more retarded since the campaign ended.  She's did a media blitz right after the campaign, focusing on trying to keep her image fresh and stay in the minds of the people.  Personally if I was a governor, right after a failed presidential bid I'd try and square up my stuff back home after the distraction of running for VP.  But no, apparently it was more important to have Gretta Van S-something in her home for Moose Chili.  Now after being an ineffective leader for the state of Alaska for the past 6 months she's dropping out?  Where's the responsibility?  She doesn't do her job very well for 6 months then quits?!

The recent David Letterman feud is absolutely ridiculous.  She's feigning offense for sympathy in a brazenly fake display.  The stuff with her daughter's baby daddy was stupid too.  And let us not forget her speaking engagements which are even booked and managed beforehand in a shoddy fashion.  During one she spoke of the government as if it was an anthropomorphic entity similar to Skynet with intent on taking over the local governments and controlling the people.

If she isn't stupid she's crazy.

TheVillain

Quote from: RandomNumber on July 05, 2009, 04:03:29 PM
I have an enormous amount of respect for anyone who manages to overcome the stereotypes of their position and create a unique point of view for themself.  For that reason, any woman who happens to NOT be pro-choice (when it clearly is in the favor of every woman to be) automatically gets a bump up in my estimation.  I really respect independent minds.

So your argument that that is the reason why I dislike Sarah Palin is a really poor attempt to try and paint those who dislike her as something they're not.  I am not a liberal.  I am not pro-choice (or really pro-life).  I'm a centrist in every way when it comes to politics.  I didn't like her because she was a far right moron, not because she was pro choice or Christian.

Using her being a mayor as a reason why she couldn't possibly be dumb shows ignorance on the subject.  I've seen multiple interviews of the current Mayor of Wasilla, and there's really not much to the job.  As for her being governor as another example, by all accounts she did a terrible job (there's been a ton of controversies) and didn't even manage to finish one term.

Furthermore, yes, the Huffington Post and MSNBC are left-leaning.  MSNBC gets worse as the day goes on.  With each commentator things become more and more liberal.  And the Huffington Post in general is just a pile of crap.  There's people who write New Age bullshit articles there too, which are abominations and lies about science.  I can't even read the Huffington Post without getting irritated.  But for all the bad that those two media outlets are, Fox News isn't any better.  Any favorable media coverage you're attributing to her probably came from there (unless you're talking about the initial media blitz right after her introduction into the mix), and that's not because everywhere else is biased.

She comes off as surprisingly stupid, flippant, arrogant, completely saturated in her own ideology, and blind of people different than her.  During the campaign she openly chopped the country up into segments of "genuine people living in small towns" versus the "other" folk, strongly implying people who lived in certain areas of the country weren't true Americans.  She pushed the envelope on every stupid thing they could find to attack Barack with in the waning days of the campaign, including the whole PLO link to the guy Obama met, who (if I recall) wasn't actually who she claimed he was 100%.

Did you not see the Vice Presidential Debate where she winked 50,000 times in a pathetic attempt to charm the audience while blatantly refusing to answer the questions asked to her (not even in a savvy political way, she actually acknowledged she wasn't going to answer them) for the benefit of the very people she was attempting to enthrall?  The woman preaches abstinence only education while her daughter is a teenage mother.  She still preaches it too.  Gee, that's not stupid, is it?  Most importantly of all, she didn't know if Africa was a country, a continent, or something else entirely.

And she's been even more retarded since the campaign ended.  She's did a media blitz right after the campaign, focusing on trying to keep her image fresh and stay in the minds of the people.  Personally if I was a governor, right after a failed presidential bid I'd try and square up my stuff back home after the distraction of running for VP.  But no, apparently it was more important to have Gretta Van S-something in her home for Moose Chili.  Now after being an ineffective leader for the state of Alaska for the past 6 months she's dropping out?  Where's the responsibility?  She doesn't do her job very well for 6 months then quits?!

The recent David Letterman feud is absolutely ridiculous.  She's feigning offense for sympathy in a brazenly fake display.  The stuff with her daughter's baby daddy was stupid too.  And let us not forget her speaking engagements which are even booked and managed beforehand in a shoddy fashion.  During one she spoke of the government as if it was an anthropomorphic entity similar to Skynet with intent on taking over the local governments and controlling the people.

If she isn't stupid she's crazy.

Listen to this man, his words are wise.

(Except I'd argue that Fox is WAAAYYYY further right then MSNBC is left, but that's just nitpicking- about as important to this conversation as to what kind of underwear I have on. Which is none at all, for the curious.)
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

CWand

I definitely I have to agree with Random Number here.  I wasn't impressed with her at all, and actually found her quite, disturbing on some levels from what i saw during the campaigning.  Of course I also spent hours over at my parents picking on McCain's campaigning efforts for the last month of the campaign.  So ya, I wasn't fond of either one really.
If the universe is infinite, and there are an infinite number of universes that could exist, there must be by definition of the world infinite, an infinite number of worlds, and possibilities out there, and somewhere our lives played out with no regrets, fears, or discomfort.  If only that worked in practice....

Ons and Offs

The Overlord

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on July 05, 2009, 10:34:24 AM

Election or promotion to an executive position is no guarantee on intelligence. Just take a look at Detroit.