Ephemeral Souls - (Dark Medieval Fantasy - Soulsborne Inspired, Freeform, Group)

Started by Tolvo, December 29, 2018, 11:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tolvo

Ephemeral Souls

Ephemeral Souls - IC thread

4 Character Sheets Finalized. 9 People currently interested(Including the 4 Finalized). Cut off for Accepted Players will be at 10.

Inspired heavily by the Soulsborne series, Ephemeral Souls will be a dark medieval fantasy RP with various influences. I will be acting as GM, similar to how a tabletop functions, but players will not have to do rolls or worry about stats or things of a system nature. This is still going to be freeform. A lot of elements of the story, important figures, their backstories, what needs to be done, will be mysterious in nature and require a level of figuring things out from the players and exploration. Major setting elements will be known but the nature of certain events and mysteries will remain that way unless players discover or figure out the answers. At times things may happen that are inconceivable. If they do feel free to ask what just happened or if I made a mistake, I'm human I can make mistakes. But at times it will be intentional. This is an RP where people will not go unscathed, there will be incredible horrors, and dark concepts, do try to keep your character breathing but damage will inevitably happen and even death may not be the end. I like to also create very dramatic battles for what are essentially "Boss Fights." Where things have built up to a point and a climactic battle is happening that won't end in the blink of an eye, often coupled with dialogue and struggles not just physical but philosophical, spiritual, conceptual. These can be very hard depending on the preferences of the players involved. I like to make them challenging but beatable, I tend to avoid unwinnable situations if possible unless it is something incredibly explicit(Probably don't fight this 3,000 foot tall Dragon at the bottom of a cavern). In those cases I do try to hint as much as possible to the reality of the situation and if asked directly I'll state it. I do also allow rewinds if something was very much unclear or unfair from my part, I do my best to be as fair as possible but again mistakes happen and it's fine to explain something was not understandable or was unfair to you.

This is a semi-interest check, and is so that as I work out more of the set up I can get an idea of how many people would be interested in this and joining and playing. If there are any questions please feel free to ask them. I am very willing to work with people and am understanding. For the RP itself I will also ask players their preferences for things like level of challenge, and tailor things to each player so everyone can play in the ways that fit them best without having to strictly conform just to my style. While I'll be drawing a lot from history and sources such as games, you don't have to be intimately familiar with them and I will not be strict about things. You won't have to know where the percussion center of a sabre is to deal damage with it. If there ever are questions about details or things do feel free to ask.

The story will take place after the end of the world. Most of the population are dead or dying, undead, creatures, spirits, are the norm. There will be NPC's controlled by me, details such as scenery, artwork, books, etc, to help delve further into the world and story. The Souls series is often one that inspires feelings of loneliness. I'll be trying to capture that, but players can still work in groups and there will be NPC's to talk with of various kinds since while a story can be told in a minimalist way I'm not sure if that's what everyone would want and in writing things are different than in a game. If there are ever additional details required simply ask OOC. Like if I describe in full detail the general characteristics of a suit of armor but you need to know exactly what type of helm they're wearing I can get more detailed. I may also include things like maps and drawings of scenery to aid with answering questions.

I have been out of the RP game for a little bit so if there are any important details I missed in this thread feel free to mention them. Ask questions, mention interests, concepts you'd like to add, etc, please do post them. I enjoy communicating a lot and like to make sure things are clear and understood whenever possible.

Note: This is an inclusive and diverse RP. Characters of all races, genders and sexualities are welcome. Characters will not be disallowed based on identity.

Game:

• Section the Game will be placed in and whether it is a system game or not. - This game will have to go under extreme due to the violence and level of darkness present. It is freeform, with me acting as GM.
  • Who is the RP open to? (Gender, Sexuality, etc..?) - Everyone.
  • Short Summary of Player Roles and General Story/Plot. - The players will be those who have returned to the world of the living and have the option to try and fix the world, or destroy it ultimately, if they wish. And how they'll reshape the world.   
  • Setting. - Souls-Like. This world is heavily inspired by the games Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3, with some inspiration from Bloodborne, and a few other fantasy series. It is a post apocalyptic dark fantasy world in a Medieval setting.   
  • Plot Outline. - The plot will center around the player characters waking up after their deaths to the world after the end. It will focus on them trying to piece together what happened, how to fix it, and ultimately how they choose to change the world and those who live in it from that point on, and how to resolve their conflicts.       
  • Character creation info/guidelines if any. - There will be a detailed character sheet with information on how to fill it out.   
  • Required Resources (If any) (If a system game - What books(ver.) or links to information needed such as an online guide or wiki?) - None. This is Souls inspired, but not set in that exact universe. Similar but different. Playing any of the games can help get more of a feel for things but none of it is required.     
  • Game Pacing. - I can likely post multiple times a day, but for others it will vary. I don't expect everyone to be able to be super active, as long as people are posting within a week it should be fine.   
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any? - Sex is not a focus of this RP. It can happen, but the focus is on the story and exploration and combat and resolving the story. 
  • Whether tagging will be used or not. - It will not. 
Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable) -

• Will there be a Co-GM? - As of yet no.
  • How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)? - Directed. I will try to direct things and help things flow.
  • What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details? - For the most part just run things by me. This is sort of like a tabletop in concept so major things just need approval. I'll accept a lot of ideas and concepts I just need to give approval first so things fit and nothing breaks the world or story too much.
  • How NPC's will be handled. (If any) - (By GM and/or players, and what expectations) - I'll handle the NPC's. Think of it like a tabletop but without having to roll for everything.
  • How active will the GM be? - I'll be very active. 
  • Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage) - Yes. Please do be active with questions and conversation about ideas relating to the RP.
  • How to contact/approach GM with questions? (use OOC thread, direct PM, etc...) - In the OOC or in PM is fine.
  • How will decisions be resolved? - Via judgement, think of me as a referee though if it requires it I'll check with every player in the RP.
  • Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)? - Yes, but, if I get the feeling that someone has joined the RP just to be a player killer and try to ruin the enjoyment of others I reserve the right to boot them.

Character Sheet. Try to make characters reasonable. I like for there to be progression rather than people starting out as unkillable gods.

[b]Player Name:[/b] (Your handle, yeah that's right I'm talking to you put that here.)

[b]Character Name:[/b] (Your character's name.)

[b]Age:[/b] (How old your character is. Above 18. If you want to go above 100, well, just run it by me and why. This is for the age at which your character died.)

[b]Archetype:[/b] (This is to get an idea for what sort of character they are. Be as simple or as detailed as desired. This includes narrative archetypes as well as things like classes. So Mentor can be one. Flame Knight can be another.)

[b]Appearance:[/b] (Describe your character's body and how they look. You can use a picture if you want but you must be able to describe your character. Please include important aspects that can be used to identify your character and are relevant.)

[b]Species/Race:[/b] (Species options are Human, Idol, Soulborn. Humans are obvious, but they have many variants and mutations you can essentially create a lot of things from fantasy by altering skin color, texture, basic body stuff, with some minor differences. Mutations are pretty common. Idols are beings that are humanoid, often taller and more lithe with the average height being eight feet tall. Idols are often associated with providence and can be called the Providence, they're usually far removed descendants of gods and powerful figures in history. Many also consider them to be cursed in various ways, mutations are rampant among them. Soulborn are like artificial life. They have their own souls, they are not the dead who were brought back but those who were born from the residual souls itself. A Soulborn is born out of lingering soul fragments or a naturally formed one that has found a body to inhabit. Somewhat like a Golem. Their form will be humanoid in shape but can be made out of different material, and may form naturally or be created by those who desire to. Most commonly they are made of bone and are called Graveborn.)

[b]Weight:[/b] (Your character's weight.)

[b]Height:[/b] (Your character's height.)

[b]Attire/Armor/Gear/Worn:[/b] (Describe your character's clothing, think Medieval. This will include whatever is worn such as armor. Tools that are worn, gear, satchels, etc, fall under this as well. If a character is wearing it, it goes here other than things regularly carried in hand.)

[b]Weapons:[/b] (A sword, spear, staff, bow, crossbow, something Medieval if you even want a starting weapon. Shields go here as well. If it is something your character will normally hold in hand in combat it goes here.)

[b]Inventory:[/b] (The things you carry in a sack, pack, satchel, etc.)

[b]Personality:[/b] (What your character is like.)

[b]Dreams:[/b] (What are your characters dreams, the things they want most in life?)

[b]Nightmares:[/b] (What are your characters greatest fears, the things they wish to avoid at all costs?)

[b]History:[/b] (Your character’s history leading up to their death. If you want to have big events in a character's past or make them very important just mention it to me for approval.)

(For this section just be reasonable. As of yet there is no point buy, but try to keep a character within reason. Capable, but not unstoppable and not capable of doing absolutely everything. It's good to have focuses.)
[b]Skills/Knowledge:[/b] (What you're character is good at. What they know how to do and have experience doing, what they have knowledge about.)

[b]Capabilities:[/b] (Sort of something like abilities, feats, things that are superhuman that your character can do that are not magic based.)

[b]Magic:[/b] (Magical abilities, if there are any. The main concepts being of Soul Sorcery, a sort of magic based on using one's own soul. Miracles, based on faith and imagination and reciting events that were miraculous verbally and in detail sharing the story. And Mancies, or, magic based upon natural elements and using one's physical body as a conduit through practice and ritual to preform magic. It's a good idea to focus on one magic school, but have a variety of what you can do in that school. Just float Spells/Miracles/Mancies to me for approval. And keep in mind the more powerful something is the harder it is to do.)

[b]Additional:[/b] (Anything additional you want to add.)

For a full album of images I will be using for inspiration and in relation to the RP.

https://imgur.com/a/UM1UpDo

For some inspiration, I do have a playlist of some of my favorite songs from the series. This is a playlist not just a video.

Ephemeral

Very interested. Not sure of a character yet. But ever since I played Bloodborne I have wanted to RP as an animated doll. Not sure if that would fit this setting, but I am interested.

Tolvo

Glad to hear. If nothing else your name definitely fits! If you have questions or concepts you want to float feel free. What sort of animated doll were you thinking? Directly like the Doll from Bloodborne or something different?

Ephemeral

Oh, doesn't have to be the doll from Bloodborne, just in the same kinda vain.

pdragon

I'd definitely be interested. I've always wanted to play a fantasy game closer to dark souls in theme/tone.

A few ideas right off the bat.

A widow from an eastern land who's husband was struck down in battle. Driven by grief she took up her husband's sword and armor and led his men in his place. She would go on to win many battles and garner much prestige amongst her ranks before herself falling in battle, an honorable death. She and her husband's combined service spawned the legend of a warrior so great they needed to be slain twice to fully die.

A Queen who's kingdom was invaded by a foreign army, her husband slain before her eyes when their castle was taken. In a mock show of mercy she was thrown into the arena with nothing but her gown and her dead husband's sword, told that if she survived against their gladiators she'd be allowed to live. She didn't.

The youngest princess (nsfw) of a royal family that was betrayed and usurped by one of their most trusted advisers. While he had kept her eldest sister as a bride to legitimize his rule, as the youngest he had no use for her, and instead had her made a slave and plaything to the depraved nobles who had turned against them. Eventually they grew bored and sent her to the fighting pits, and when she proved too tenacious to die in battle they again grew bored and simply left her to waste away in the dungeons.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Tolvo

We could probably figure out a good way for a doll to fit in the setting. I'm still going over a lot of things like whether I want to include things other than humans for player characters. Giants I think are out(Giants have proved hugely problematic for players before). A doll seems far more like something that could work, whether it is a human soul put into an artificial body or a purely artificial being.

Those can work Pdragon, I kind of like the Widow the most. While the focus will be Medieval European influenced, there will be others lands and things. Maybe we'll visit them as well. But people coming from those regions are perfectly fine.

I'll try to get to work more on specific details and things so people can start working on character sheets and fleshing out their characters and ideas more.

Terian

Might be interested?

There's not really enough to act on yet here with character design, but I do like fantasy settings a lot, and a strongly curated one does appeal to me.

That being said, while this is "Fantasy", I'm curious as to what extent we're looking at here?  Bloodborne style "Fancy gadgets and science exist--but mostly as supplements to people being huge face melters"?  More standard "Guys in fancy late-medieval armaments of various points of origin walking around and kitbashing what magic and treasures they can to survive" like the Souls series are?

Tolvo

Understandable. Since I'm still making sure all the details and things are how I want it there is more so just basic concepts to go on so I understand if there isn't enough yet to go on. When I have finalized things and names and places and events I'll post them.

In regards to how much like the games and which ones, I want to try and convert it into an RP well. If it's just non-stop dungeon crawling action and wandering I know that might not interest most people and can be hard to manage. As well I don't want it to be like a lot of the games where just build a specific way to do things. I want people to have options and for them to be able to specialize. Not requiring like level 40 in Int or something but like, getting to build their characters how they want. I like to think of a lot of combat like a puzzle, and I want to offer non-combat solutions to things at times and puzzles. I want the tech level to be more so Medieval, maybe early Renaissance.

I tend to enjoy intelligent combat more, and challenges based on wits and tactics rather than just being the strongest. So offering players scenarios and solutions that aren't as simple as roll in between every hit and smack the big demon on the ass a bunch. More often allowing environmental choices and freedoms, and allowing for things the games simply can't allow(Like actually talking to bosses or tricking them, hell even running away and leading them somewhere else if possible).

Ephemeral

Terian

Quote from: Tolvo on December 29, 2018, 03:53:30 PM
Understandable. Since I'm still making sure all the details and things are how I want it there is more so just basic concepts to go on so I understand if there isn't enough yet to go on. When I have finalized things and names and places and events I'll post them.

In regards to how much like the games and which ones, I want to try and convert it into an RP well. If it's just non-stop dungeon crawling action and wandering I know that might not interest most people and can be hard to manage. As well I don't want it to be like a lot of the games where just build a specific way to do things. I want people to have options and for them to be able to specialize. Not requiring like level 40 in Int or something but like, getting to build their characters how they want. I like to think of a lot of combat like a puzzle, and I want to offer non-combat solutions to things at times and puzzles. I want the tech level to be more so Medieval, maybe early Renaissance.

I tend to enjoy intelligent combat more, and challenges based on wits and tactics rather than just being the strongest. So offering players scenarios and solutions that aren't as simple as roll in between every hit and smack the big demon on the ass a bunch. More often allowing environmental choices and freedoms, and allowing for things the games simply can't allow(Like actually talking to bosses or tricking them, hell even running away and leading them somewhere else if possible).

very tempting.

How much magic are we going to have here?  Rare and unheard of?  Well understood?  Is it going to be in only one or two forms or is there a variety of different ways for it to manifest?

Tolvo

Magic is something usually case by case. I like the concepts of making powerful magic something rarely used except in specific instances or for the "Kill shot." I like ideas though like rather than carrying a sword, wielding one made of pure magic with different qualities that make it unique though not wholly superior. Often I like to tie magic to the concept of stamina. So you don't have to worry about mana points in between resting at a specific place or relying on potions. Instead with the idea being that less powerful and simpler magic is simply much less taxing. Usually I let it be player judgement on how to portray that with certain examples like something like a magic candle being next to you being basically effortless for a sorcerer. But something akin to simple projectiles taking an amount of effort similar to firing a bow. And a powerful blast being something that you need to pause after doing.

For types of magic what I tend to do and am leaning towards is a sort of concept like Soul, Story, and Will. Soul would be like traditional sorcery in the Souls series. It would be about controlling a person's own soul to partition it and use it as utility, defense, a weapon, etc. It would focus more on understanding functionality of the soul and weaving it into the desired magic, how to make it potent. Kind of like a magical science. Story would be akin to Miracles, with a focus on faith and reciting and vividly imagining stories of fantastic events that defy belief, similar to how Miracles actually work in the Lore. And then Will being more of ritual and practice, sort of like using your physical body as the conduit and turning it into the conduit for magic that would be more primal and elemental. Like Pyromancy. Terminology I'm still working on. Technically we can use Sorcery, Miracles, Mancies, but if there are better suggestions I'm open to them for what to call them.

In this sense, you can focus on a magic type but not be locked out of pure concepts, like having a Miracle that throws lightning or a Physical magic that allows a lightning attack. So damage types aren't just locked out and people still have wiggle room and freedom.

SilkenVenom

I like the idea behind this. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out. Also, because I have no shame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f3j4okhb8o

Tolvo

Glad to hear! And I still am a fan of the Bartholomew trailer for Dark Souls from back in the day. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA

pdragon

That might be the most hilariously inappropriate tone for a Darksouls trailer I've ever seen. That's great.

Request Thread

Tolvo

Well there's always time for From Soft to license We Like to Party for Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

Also the current Character Sheet for those who do want to start with certain concepts and things. It's very simplified(Usually people don't like when I have too many things to keep track of). I'm going to try to get to work on finishing the main set up lore stuff though I'm kind of tired right now.

[b]Player Name:[/b] (Your handle, yeah that's right I'm talking to you put that here.)

[b]Character Name:[/b] (Your character's name.)

[b]Age:[/b] (How old your character is. Above 18. If you want to go above 100, well, just run it by me and why. This is for the age at which your character died.)

[b]Archetype:[/b] (This is to get an idea for what sort of character they are. Be as simple or as detailed as desired. This includes narrative archetypes as well as things like classes. So Mentor can be one. Flame Knight can be another.)

[b]Appearance:[/b] (Describe your character's body and how they look. You can use a picture if you want but you must be able to describe your character. Please include important aspects that can be used to identify your character and are relevant.)

[b]Species/Race:[/b] (Species options are Human, Idol, Soulborn. Humans are obvious, but they have many variants and mutations you can essentially create a lot of things from fantasy by altering skin color, texture, basic body stuff, with some minor differences. Mutations are pretty common. Idols are beings that are humanoid, often taller and more lithe with the average height being eight feet tall. Idols are often associated with providence and can be called the Providence, they're usually far removed descendants of gods and powerful figures in history. Many also consider them to be cursed in various ways, mutations are rampant among them. Soulborn are like artificial life. They have their own souls, they are not the dead who were brought back but those who were born from the residual souls itself. A Soulborn is born out of lingering soul fragments or a naturally formed one that has found a body to inhabit. Somewhat like a Golem. Their form will be humanoid in shape but can be made out of different material, and may form naturally or be created by those who desire to. Most commonly they are made of bone and are called Graveborn.)

[b]Weight:[/b] (Your character's weight.)

[b]Height:[/b] (Your character's height.)

[b]Attire/Armor/Gear/Worn:[/b] (Describe your character's clothing, think Medieval. This will include whatever is worn such as armor. Tools that are worn, gear, satchels, etc, fall under this as well. If a character is wearing it, it goes here other than things regularly carried in hand.)

[b]Weapons:[/b] (A sword, spear, staff, bow, crossbow, something Medieval if you even want a starting weapon. Shields go here as well. If it is something your character will normally hold in hand in combat it goes here.)

[b]Inventory:[/b] (The things you carry in a sack, pack, satchel, etc.)

[b]Personality:[/b] (What your character is like.)

[b]Dreams:[/b] (What are your characters dreams, the things they want most in life?)

[b]Nightmares:[/b] (What are your characters greatest fears, the things they wish to avoid at all costs?)

[b]History:[/b] (Your character’s history leading up to their death. If you want to have big events in a character's past or make them very important just mention it to me for approval.)

(For this section just be reasonable. As of yet there is no point buy, but try to keep a character within reason. Capable, but not unstoppable and not capable of doing absolutely everything. It's good to have focuses.)
[b]Skills/Knowledge:[/b] (What you're character is good at. What they know how to do and have experience doing, what they have knowledge about.)

[b]Capabilities:[/b] (Sort of something like abilities, feats, things that are superhuman that your character can do that are not magic based.)

[b]Magic:[/b] (Magical abilities, if there are any. The main concepts being of Soul Sorcery, a sort of magic based on using one's own soul. Miracles, based on faith and imagination and reciting events that were miraculous verbally and in detail sharing the story. And Mancies, or, magic based upon natural elements and using one's physical body as a conduit through practice and ritual to preform magic. It's a good idea to focus on one magic school, but have a variety of what you can do in that school. Just float Spells/Miracles/Mancies to me for approval. And keep in mind the more powerful something is the harder it is to do.)

[b]Additional:[/b] (Anything additional you want to add.)

SilkenVenom

I did have a few questions. I think some of the parts of the character sheet aren't really clear on what you're looking for (at least for me).

Archtype: Is this supposed to analogous to a class? Or something else?

Weapons: Do small-scale firearms exist, ala Bloodborne (without the likes of cannons or Gatling guns or things like that)?

Gear: Is this supposed to be things like jewelry? Or other equipment? I feel like this section could be removed and just combined with Inventory to streamline things.

Dreams/Nightmares: Are these supposed to be from before they were dead, or after?

Skills/Knowledge/Capabilities: I assume there are limits to these, right? Like a specific number of them we can't go over? It feels way to broad with what you've written so far.

Maybe an example completed one for some sort of NPC might be helpful to at least help guide people? Or am I again overthinking everything?

Tolvo

That's my fault sorry. I got worried I had more detailed descriptions and examples but I got worried it might intimidate some people. I should probably stop overthinking like that.

Archtype is like character class and also narrative archetype. So Ruffian with a heart of gold fits, so does spell-blade.

Well guns were not going to be a focus like they are in Bloodborne. But it is Medieval, and guns are Medieval and we're going to have other weapons and armor and things from when guns were around. Like the Handcannon used into the 1500's. So touch hole ignition guns meaning they can't easily be suddenly fired and take a bit to reload. But they could be used, and we can fantasy them up. Cannons will exist but more so as siege weapons unless put on a very large creature.

Gear was supposed to be kind of like anything worn that isn't exactly for looks/armor. So like if you carry tools that are worn, or satchels. But I could just combine it into attire/armor/gear/worn. I wanted there to be a focus on what your character currently is carrying(If people need to store things later we can add storage and locations. Mostly it's just for keeping track of stuff and remembering what everyone has).

Dreams/Nightmares are for during their life since this is the start. But things can be added on. I find that adding on character changes via development to be a good thing to do in character sheets.

I wasn't putting a hard limit yet on skills/knowledge/capabilities, I can if it becomes necessary but my general rule is just "Be reasonable." If it makes sense with the character and a character isn't a master of everything and can do everything it's fine. I don't really want to have to do a point buy system or something and if I think something is too powerful(Or even not powerful enough, sometimes I've had players intentionally trying to make characters so weak in worlds like this its hard to really give them any challenge they can do) I'll bring it up and suggestions.

Sure I can do some example filled out sheets and define things more.

pdragon

Player Name: pdragon

Character Name: Mitsuru Yano

Archetype: Ronin Widow

Appearance: Originally a woman of soft, demure beauty, Mitsuru's body has been weathered both by battle and the effects of her resurrection. Her formerly supple, porcelain skin is now stone grey, her lips black as pitch. She bears scars of various battles, both on her face and along her body, though through all this aspects of her beauty still shine through. Her hair falls in long, dark tresses, usually tied back for practical reasons but was cut loose in the midst of her final battle. Though the most striking change is her eyes, darkened sclera with irises of searing white, giving off an ethereal glow and what appear to be small wisps of soul, as if her newly returned spirit is slowly leaking back out of her body.

Her altered state is not immediately apparent, however, as most of the time she keeps herself fully garbed in her armor. Taken from he dead husband, Mitsuru's armor is distinctly different from that found in the western lands, composed of many small parts and heavily ornamented. The helmet is shaped to resemble the face of a demon, intending to intimidate foes, and creates an overall otherworldly look. Originally crafted for her husband, the armor has undergone minimal changes since she took possession of it, and as such it heavily masks her lithe figure and gives her the appearance of a wider frame, making it impossible to tell that she's a woman at first glance.

Species/Race: Human - Kamuy

Weight: 135lb

Height: 5'8

Attire/Armor/Gear/Worn:
-A suit of armor passed down from her husband. Woven from metal "scales" and layered lacquered plates, the armor is primarily designed to protect against slashing weapons, and is thus most heavily plated at the hips and shoulders where diagonal cuts are most frequently aimed.
-Traveling Lantern
-A waist slung pack for carrying supplies
-water gourd
-A whistle carved into the wrist of her left gauntlet, used for signalling allies

Weapons:
-Nagamaki - a curved sword with an extended blade and handle, meant to be wielded as both a great sword and a pole arm.
-Tanto - A straight bladed shortsword/dagger, meant to be used in close combat or confined spaces where larger weapon would be too cumbersome to wield.
-Throwing Knives

Inventory:
-flint/tinder
-oil flasks
-rope
-ink and brushes
-paper scrolls
-rations
-pouches of powdered glass

Personality: Mitsuru is stern and resolute in her demeanor, almost statuesque to a point. She takes her duties seriously, and keeps herself mentally and emotionally guarded at almost all times, maintaining a terse, no nonsense report with others. This is of course a necessary mask born from her situation. Driven by grief at the loss of her husband, she forces a strict attitude upon herself in order to remain controlled and focused, knowing that giving into her emotions will only bring instability and cause her to make fatal mistakes. Also as a woman taking up her husband's mantel, she felt incredible pressure to prove herself and not show any weakness, having to both prove a woman could make a proper soldier, as well as fill the shoes of one of the army's most revered warriors. When she allows herself to relax her strict attitude, however, she is capable of both motherly affection and boisterous camaraderie. Having never bore children of her own, she began seeing the men under her command as surrogate sons, a relationship that garnered her much respect and loyalty from her troops. This also allowed her to bond with her peers while maintaining strict boundaries, as she has sworn to never take another lover after her husband. 

Dreams: To honor her husband's legacy and preserve the Yano name. Defeat the Hunshi. Eventually be reunited with her love in death.

Nightmares: Bringing shame to her family. Failing to protect her people. Never seeing her husband again.

History:
long
Mitsuru hails from a land to the east, known as Kamuya. Her people, the Kamuy, where a proud race, built upon the concepts of honor and duty, where strong warriors where respected above all else, often revered as great heroes, and status could be gained not only through birth, but through the sword. One such men to rise through battle was a soldier by the name of Toru Yano, a farmer's son who's talent allowed to him to rise to great prominence. Eventually he would rise high enough through the ranks that he would be offered the hand of a nobleman's daughter, Mitsuru. While their marriage had been arranged, the two were quick to grow fond of each other, having fallen deeply in love by the time they were wed. Being the daughter of a noble, and the wife of a fast rising officer, Mitsuru's life was a comfortable one, and she was content to live the quiet life of a bride for the rest of her days. Fate however, had other plans.

The reason Kamuya had developed such a warrior culture, was because it was often challenged by it's many neighbors. The biggest threat amongst them were the Hunshi, a coalition of nomadic tribes whose harsh lifestyle and environment forged them into truly fearsome warriors. Their sudden invasion was not the first time the Kamuy and Hunshi had gone to war, but it was easily the bloodiest and most ruthless conflict in either peoples' history. For years the two sides battled, losing and gaining ground in equal measure, exchanging victories and defeats back to back like a pair of fighters slamming into each other blow for blow. The Kamuy suffered many casualties, and among them was Toru, at that point a captain in the royal army. Having been protected from the most horrific parts of the war thanks to her status, seeing her husband's body presented before her was her first true taste of the tragedy it wrought.

Something broke within her. Like a bursting dam of emotion. She felt dread, confusion, sorrow, all the normal things a widowed wife would feel at the loss of her beloved husband. However something else welled up in her as well, burning like fire and festering like a wound. Rage...hatred...a desire for revenge so hot it seared her soul. She wanted them to pay, every last one of them. And she didn't want to just sit back and watch others dish out that vengeance on her behalf, she wanted to do it with her own hands. After the funeral Mitsuru shut herself away in the family's manor for months. Most though it was simply to grieve in solitude, but in actuality she was training. Her husband had taught her the basics of how to fight, just as a playful way to spend time together, never actually intending for her to use anything she learned. But Mitsuru took that fundamental knowledge and threw herself into rigorous training, drilling herself for hours and hours on end, only stopping to eat, sleep, and when her body simply gave out from the strain. She trained until she puked, until her muscles screamed and her vision blurred, but fueled by that fire burning inside her she never allowed herself to stop, nor even to slow down.

Several months later, after Toru's death had all but been forgotten, swept under the tides of war, a figure wearing his armor and baring his sword would march into imperial headquarters. At first some believed that Toru had perhaps had a son who he had passed his mantel onto, and their shock when Mitsuru revealed herself under his helm was palpable. With unflinching conviction she joined her late husband's ranks, cutting through swaths of Hunshi with insatiable blood lust, appearing like a specter to the superstitious tribes, the vengeful spirit of one of their fallen enemies risen again to exact it's revenge upon them. It didn't take long for Mitsuru to rise up to her husband's post, taking command of his men and leading the charge in many battles, her fighting spirit and inspiring story helping to turn the tides of the war back in their favor.

Eventually the Hunshi were driven out of their land entirely, forced to retreat westward for foreign lands. Resolved to never let them pose a threat to their people again, a portion of the Kamuy's army was sent to pursue the fleeing Hunshi and eradicate them for good. Mitsuru was one of the leaders of this mission, having become a figurehead for her people's desire for vengeance against their enemy. Unfortunately as they chased the Hunshi to the west, they discovered that the tribes had made allies with some of the foreign kingdoms, who mistakenly saw the vengeful Kamuy as the aggressors, fearing invasion of their own lands at their hands. With their forces bolstered the Hunshi were able to repel the Kamuy's attack, their forces now forced to retreat in the face of the combined armies. In order to cover their escape, a battalion of warriors opted to stay behind, making a last stand against their foes and slaying as many Hunshi as possible. Mitsuru stood tall at the head of this battalion, inspiring the others to abandon their fear and fight to the last breath. For almost an entire day straight Mitsuru and her men fought without pause, cutting through man after man like a hoard of demons. Many died of exhaustion before a blade could ever pierce their flesh, and when Mitsuru herself finally fell on an enemy's sword, it only reinvigorated the remaining troops to fight even harder.

Piled amongst countless corpses in an unfamiliar land, Mitsuru's death was not a glamorous one, but it was an honorable one. Back home she and the others who stayed behind were all heralded as heroes. The story of Toru and Mitsuru became one of the land's most popular tales, the legend of "The Immortal Yano", a warrior so mighty that they had to be killed twice before they stopped fighting. And while they may have failed in eradicating the Hunshi, the western kingdoms were so shaken by the Kamuy's final stand that they never dared venture eastward to retaliate, nor did the Hunshi themselves ever return to their native lands. Their efforts forever securing the kingdom's western flank.

Skills/Knowledge: sword play, hand-to-hand, horse riding, strategy, calligraphy, cooking, gardening, poetry, dancing, singing

Capabilities: Tireless Endurance- In order to wield her husband's heavy equipment effectively, Mitsuru has undergone intense physical training to boost her stamina, training that she maintained near constantly even during her service. This along with her indomitable will allow her to fight for hours on end, past the point where most would give out.

Precision- Lacking the raw strength of her male counterparts, Mitsuru compensates with an increased focus on efficiency and precision in combat. As such she's highly skilled at scouting out an opponent's potential weak spots and ruthlessly targeting them.

Magic: none

Additional:

Request Thread

Tolvo

Looks good Pdragon! Read through it all and nothing caught my eye that was a problem, seems like a fun and fitting character.

Sorry I haven't got all of the information finished yet. I started working on a few other things and have been a bit stressed lately so focusing on relaxation. I however did manage to recover a lot of important notes of mine for setup that will probably make a lot of things easier and faster.

Akkas

This sounds really great. I've never joined in an RP like this but I would very much like to.

I already have an idea as to what character I want to use, but I am unfamiliar with the terms of the games. So even with the added explanation, I'm doubtful about the categories. Mainly about what to answer at Species/Race and the magic type.
So, I'll give you a simplified version: in my story my character would be called a demon. She looks human and is also born like them. She has two powers; she's quite strong and she can make objects heavier and lighter.
Given the options, does that mean I should just call her Human?
And about the magic options, I honestly have no idea.

Also, capabilities are superhuman but not magic. What kind of things are that? In my mind, all superhuman abilities are magical...

Tolvo

Demon is going to be a thing, but, it's also going to be a common term people use. So while Categorically your character may not fall under the literal demon classification, she'd be called human, people can still refer to her as a demon and call her one and believe she is one. A lot of classifications and categories are more for us OOC. In universe people are going to have all sorts of different terms and views on how things work. Only people who really really are well versed in in-universe demonology based in scientific study and historical research would really care about a distinction. And Demon I will mention is something you aren't born as.

That magical power sounds fine, it could fit well under Soul Sorcery magic I think. I've actually run into players who want powers like that before, and there are a lot of interesting things you can do with that. Superhuman to me does not mean magical. It can, but I don't see them as equal. If you have superhuman strength it could be magical in nature, or you could surpass human limits. So it'd be something physical still, whether through training, will, etc.

pdragon

Thanks, I'm glad you like her. ^^

I was wondering, while I don't intend for her to have sort of magic off the bat, would it be possible for the characters to learn/develop magic/powers over the course of their journey? Like similar to the souls games they come across old practitioners willing to mentor them, or they find items that allow them to channel magic or end up enhancing them.

Request Thread

Tolvo

Whoops thought I responded earlier. Yep your characters will get to develop. I don't think it'd be as fun or interesting if they didn't really. You can gain new abilities and powers as time goes on. And yeah find items and things that aid with that.

Totoro

Love Dark Souls and this idea seems a lot of fun. I'm not sure if I'll have the availability to get involved but I'm definitely interested.

How would you feel about a 'Marvelous Chester'-esque character? (The Dark Souls 1 NPC). With a slightly out of time set of attire, possibly here using a firearm (Of the appropriate kind for the era/setting) and skills more inspired by Bloodborne.

Tolvo

It would really depend on how out of time. A thing about it was going to be the whole concept of people from various times, so it does fit. But depends how far you want to go with it. I'd honestly use more Bloodborne inspiration if many of the things weren't tied to later eras it was inspired by/based on.