News:

Main Menu

COMIC GEEKS Я US

Started by LunarSage, February 29, 2012, 02:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick957

QuoteI said "it's an honor to meet you, sir" and he said with a smile "well it's an honor to be met".  :-)

You and Stan have made me LOL.  :)  Thank you.

And, please leave me in your will.  I'll send you my real name if I have to.  ;)

QuoteThe neatest thing I had sign was the Mage series by matt Wagner. But someone stole part of the collect. Somewhere out there is a fat boy I am going to kill some day. You've been warned D. Watson.

What kinda jerk steals somebody else's comic books, for crying out loud?  Especially indy comics that almost certainly aren't valuable enough to resell, if the thief even recognizes them?

Who's D. Watson?  Did you identify the thief in some way?  Just curious, it's an odd detail.  :)

EDIT Oh wait, I get it; you knew who the probable thief was, right?  Never mind then.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: rick957 on May 03, 2012, 03:37:03 PM

Who's D. Watson?  Did you identify the thief in some way?  Just curious, it's an odd detail.  :)

EDIT Oh wait, I get it; you knew who the probable thief was, right?  Never mind then.

I'm 99.95% sure of the person who took them. The 1st color grendal comic was among them. That is the first Hunter Rose Grendal. He was a hoarder collector who knew the book value to the dime. These were mint copies signed a drawn on by Matt Wagner himself. Years later he did my comicco graphics with images of Edsel, Kevin and Mirth on a volume each.

Saerrael

My own favourite comic book artist is Jim Lee. Not so much due to what he made, but because he inspired me so much.
I've not been to a lot of comicbook conventions, but I did go to one that had him visit the Netherlands.

...I have a very tight, red zipup shirt that is not only signed by him, but also carries a sketch of Jubilee. ♥
I think I was 16, had a perfect size body then and just.. threw my charms at him to get what I want.
Yes, I am evil.

For those now going 'Dude! You're a... dude!'
*points at his Liege badge*
Not physically...  >:)

LunarSage

Saerra?  Do I sense another Jubilee fan?   :-)

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Saerrael

No. But Magneto by Jim Lee? Fuck yes..

LunarSage

Awwww... I do love me some Jubilee.  Such an often underplayed character, but very rich in character development.

Yes though, Jim Lee did some awesome work all around.  Magneto is my third favorite villain, Thanos and Dr Doom being #1 and #2...

Saerrael

I don't view Magneto as a villain.
I'm odd that way. *winks at Lunar*

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on May 04, 2012, 09:19:01 PM
Awwww... I do love me some Jubilee.  Such an often underplayed character, but very rich in character development.

Yes though, Jim Lee did some awesome work all around.  Magneto is my third favorite villain, Thanos and Dr Doom being #1 and #2...

I dislike Jubilee because she's a Chris Claremont character, and nearly killed the X-Men with his stupid fetish.  And she is a reminder of that horrid era.  Association.  And of course she's 'rich' in character development, Mr. Claremont focused on her almost exclusively, to the detriment of most of the male characters...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

rick957

Quote from: Saerra on May 04, 2012, 09:01:17 PM
My own favourite comic book artist is Jim Lee. Not so much due to what he made, but because he inspired me so much.
I've not been to a lot of comicbook conventions, but I did go to one that had him visit the Netherlands.

...I have a very tight, red zipup shirt that is not only signed by him, but also carries a sketch of Jubilee. ♥
I think I was 16, had a perfect size body then and just.. threw my charms at him to get what I want.
Yes, I am evil.

For those now going 'Dude! You're a... dude!'
*points at his Liege badge*
Not physically...  >:)

This was charming and hilarious.  :)

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 05, 2012, 02:25:21 AM
I dislike Jubilee because she's a Chris Claremont character, and nearly killed the X-Men with his stupid fetish.  And she is a reminder of that horrid era.  Association.  And of course she's 'rich' in character development, Mr. Claremont focused on her almost exclusively, to the detriment of most of the male characters...

Because male characters never hog the focus exclusively... *cough*

Just picked up Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest. Nice start! I approve, even though I wasn't sure about Helena Wayne.
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Chris Brady

Quote from: ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut on May 05, 2012, 11:53:49 AM
Because male characters never hog the focus exclusively... *cough*

Even in their own books?  Are you saying that only female characters should be front and center?  That no male character should stand out at anytime?  That's what Mr. Claremont effectively said with his writing.

I'm sorry, but a team book should focus on the TEAM.  Not just the ladies on said team.  We can blame Psylocke on Mr. Claremont, the Phoenix Saga, Madeline Pryor...  Storm getting regressed back to a teen...  There's not one thing he's done with a male character that stands out compared to the spunk or power level of the surrounding females.

I'll call out the male overfocus as well.  Like Wolverine, when he first showed up.  The whole Weapon X stuff, his history reveal in the last three years, all of that was a bit excessive.  Wolvie is my favourite mutie, but dear God has he gotten a lot of overexposure during the years.

Deadpool is another character that tends to overpower whatever books he's in.  He's mildly amusing, but enough already.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

It isn't just the case that male characters overpower or take the focus from the female characters sometimes; male characters have the focus nearly all the time. I can count on my fingers the amount of female characters who hold their own without being subjugated by the male characters. Without having to be saved. X-Men is one of the worst for that. Women are transgressive and when they're powerful they need to be stopped. They start out good and pretty much always turn bad. Women are easily turned to evil. They follow their lust easier than men. They backstab each other. What Claremont showed was that women can be leading characters, just as men can be, without being evil or needing to be saved.
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

Sabby

I haven't read this thread yet, so I'm not sure if I'm the only one here, but I'm a strange breed of comic reader ^^' I don't really like DC or Marvel or super heroes in general. If I had to choose, I'd say Marvel, but my only exposure is through Linkara (comic book reviewer on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com). The only comics I read are just adaptions of things that aren't comics. My collection is pretty small at the moment, but I try to pick up a trade edition here and there. So far I have...

Steven Kings The Stand, collection 1 and 2 of 6
Steven Kings The Dark Tower, collection 1
Terminator Omnibus 1
Alien vs Predator Omnibus 1
Dresden Files: Stormfront

I'm guna try and finish off those collections, and the companions (Predator Omnibus, Alien Omnibus) but I also need to get on to whatever comics that won't be included in the Omnibus collections (the newer Alien and Predator comics, Terminator 2029, Terminator 1984, AVP: Three World War)

I do have a bunch of digital comics, but I want physical copies of them at some point. Even Alien vs Predator vs The Terminator. Yeah, it was atrocious, but I need it for the collection xD But there's one I just can't track down... The Thing From Another World :( It's out of print and very hard to find as a trade paperback, even though Dark Horse did print one. I actually need to call a comic place in Sydney to see if they have one laying around in a time capsule or something.

I also want some of the Marvel/DC crossovers.

Yeah... Facehugger + Crocodile = Something several dozen sizes bigger then a crocodile. Makes about as much sense as Batman using mind controlled power armour to fight a Predator when he's too broken to stand on his own.

Oh, wait...

If I had to pick one thing to bitch about with AvPvT, it would be this.

Take a look at that shit. Terminator endoskeleton with organic skin from the Xenomorph, along with the claws and teeth. It looks fucking badass, exactly what you'd picture when thinking of a Skynet designed Hybrid.

This is what we got. Fucking Venom meets Nemesis.

Sasquatch421

I did manage to nab the first three issues of the original WildC.A.T.S the other day. Back when they were with Image... Though I have noticed that Grifter, Voodoo and Stormwatch have their own books again I wonder....

rick957

QuoteIt isn't just the case that male characters overpower or take the focus from the female characters sometimes; male characters have the focus nearly all the time. I can count on my fingers the amount of female characters who hold their own without being subjugated by the male characters. Without having to be saved. X-Men is one of the worst for that. Women are transgressive and when they're powerful they need to be stopped. They start out good and pretty much always turn bad. Women are easily turned to evil. They follow their lust easier than men. They backstab each other. What Claremont showed was that women can be leading characters, just as men can be, without being evil or needing to be saved.

Just asking to make sure I understand what you said here, because it seems interesting to me. 

Let's see, first off ...

You said X-Men is one of the worst for showing lots of women who have to be saved ... which makes them weak, right?

But then you later said that Claremont, X-Men's big writer, showed that women can be leading characters who don't need to be saved ... in other words, strong women.

See?  I can't tell if you think Claremont deserves praise for showing lots of strong women, or criticism for showing lots of weak women.  (Also, I've personally read only a little of the tons of X-Men stuff Claremont did in the 90s and 00s, so I can't guess what you meant to say.)

Secondly, you said ...

Claremont shows lots of non-evil women as leading characters.

And non-evil women have to be weak women, right?  They can't be powerful, because if they become powerful, they become evil (transgressive).

So ... does that mean you think that Claremont showed lots of weak women as leading characters?  I wouldn't think that was right, but like I said, I'm about 20 years behind on my X-Men.

Boy that seemed hard for me to untangle!  Please don't tell me it all made sense to everybody else, and I'm just getting dumber in my old age.  (I'm not that old, I hope!) 

It almost looks like maybe you mis-typed a word or something, because the logic is confusing otherwise. 

Or did I just totally misunderstand everything there?  I'd believe that too ... *frowns pitifully*

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

I think you completely misunderstood everything I said in a huge way. What I meant was that by showing Jubilee as a main, leading character, he showed that women don't have to be saved. If they're powerful they don't have to evil. If they're "weak" they don't have to be pitied.

Still, I wonder what your definition of weak is. And your definition of powerful. Does power mean evil? With male characters it doesn't seem to and yet how many women in X-Men have been powerful and turned "bad"? They can only be saved by men. They can only be stopped by men.

It's complete bullshit. It's why I don't like Marvel. DC shows so many strong women who have huge amounts of power. Wonder Woman, for instance. Yes, she killed Maxwell Lord, but that doesn't make her evil. She was the only one who saw that it was the only way out. She made the tough decision and yet came out the other end with her morality, her honour, her soul intact.

Am I saying that DC is perfect? Hell no! They've shoved so many women in fridges and I personally hated the treatment of poor Sue Dibny.

Look at it this way: The Avengers. Thor. Captain America. Hulk. Iron Man. Is there a Black Widow movie? In the X-Men movies, women were victims. In all of the others they were dames and love interests with the exception of Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and even then she was still introduced in the tightest skirt and blouse created.

DC and Marvel both need to give a chick a movie for fucks sake.
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

LunarSage

I do want to point out that the Thor movie and the Captain America movie had all kinds of female (or gay male) fanservice.  Nowadays I think ripped, gorgeous men are shown in movies just as frequently as scantily clad hot women.

As far as the number of female characters to male characters goes in comics, it's not surprising when you look at the original target audience with superhero books... adolescent males.  That's just how it was.  Now would I like to see a Black Widow movie?  Hell yes.  Especially after the scene in Avengers where...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
...where she totally out tricks the trickster god, Loki.  That was brilliant!

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

I don't find issue in the scantily clad ladies. As you'll see, I haven't mentioned that at all. I just feel that men can be attractive and have depth, whereas the women don't. Although I loved the characterisation of Black Widow, I felt Maria Hill got left behind. Although her saving Nick Fury's ass was awesome. Plus, they were the only two women in the thing. Oh, except for Pepper Potts. I forgot about her. Which pretty much says it all. I expected more from Joss Whedon. Seriously, where's Ms Marvel or She-Hulk? 
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

LunarSage

I gotta admit, seeing Carol would have been super sweet.

Somnifera

Quote from: ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut on May 06, 2012, 11:43:50 AM
It isn't just the case that male characters overpower or take the focus from the female characters sometimes; male characters have the focus nearly all the time. I can count on my fingers the amount of female characters who hold their own without being subjugated by the male characters. Without having to be saved. X-Men is one of the worst for that. Women are transgressive and when they're powerful they need to be stopped. They start out good and pretty much always turn bad. Women are easily turned to evil. They follow their lust easier than men. They backstab each other. What Claremont showed was that women can be leading characters, just as men can be, without being evil or needing to be saved.

I looove this! Without going into a tirade, please accept  my mention of user FeministFrequency on youtube (since I can't post links).

Um.. on topic. When it comes to comics, I used to be more 'in the know' back when I was a drawfag on 4chan's /co/.In short, I prefer Marvel over DC, and the only comics I'm any good at currently following are Fables (though I am sooo far behind), Lucifer (same), and SkyDoll. I have been chomping at the bit for Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa to hurry up and FINISH issue four! SkyDoll is a lovely comic that is sexy and visually appealing, while having an interesting plot that deals with matters of the soul rather than who's stronger than who. I love it. I also prefer EU comics over US ones, when it comes to drawing style. Comics these days are just getting ugly. THat dodge and burn coloring is the devil.
I'm what was meant, not what was written. Right on the tip of the tongue and just out of focus.

~Ons,Offs, and some characters~
~Plots~
{Not interested in new RPs at this time}

Sasquatch421

Carol and Shulkie aren't founding Avengers hence they were not included in the film. Though from what they showed during the credits, they are deffinetly going to have to tap into the reserve list....

Oh you want a female superhero movie? Does everyone forget about Electra? I know it wasn't the greatest, but she still did get her own movie and they also introduced the Hand. I think they were also going to make a Wonder Woman movie, but I haven't heard that much...

Somnifera

I can't remember who it is, and forgive me for being too lazy to google it, but they had decided on a female lead for the Wonder Woman movie. All I can remember was that the woman was terribly waifish and shapeless to be Wonder Woman, but eh, that's the standard these days.
I'm what was meant, not what was written. Right on the tip of the tongue and just out of focus.

~Plots~

Sasquatch421

Too bad Linda Carter is too old to play her again hmm?

Callie Del Noire

We're talking about the (thankfully) killed Wonder Woman TV pilot?

Somnifera

Ahhh! Yes, yes!

....what an atrocity. >:[ I mean there's nothing wrong with being her shape, but there is if you're supposed to be friggin' wonder woman. You know. That strong lady with hips and such. But eh, powerful women are rarely shown with muscle bulk, for fear that would make them too 'masculine', and it's often excused away by their powers compensating for lack of sinew, anyway. :p

~Plots~