[Pathfinder] Reclaiming the Stolen Lands (Kingmaker AP, no longer recruiting)

Started by Chulanowa, December 30, 2016, 12:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinjaWeazel

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 31, 2016, 01:15:45 PM
I can let the trait five you a sword with the monk quality instead of a longsword or aldori dueling sword. But I don't feel comfy handing out a weapon proficiency feat and tacking the monk quality onto an already pretty good weapon  ;D

how about just the monk trait then, and I burn my L1 feat on EWP for the dueling sword? I'll still have to actually buy finesse and such for it either way.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 31, 2016, 01:21:49 PM
My char has no noble scion; he is bastard (double as there are two traits sharing same name). Also Chulanowa you forgot reply to this question;

The trait specifically says the weapon is not masterwork. So, 'fraid not.

Now, if you want to be of Kellid ancestry, there's another trait, "ancestral weapon" that DOES give you a masterwork weapon made of cold iron or silver... and a bonus when using weapons made of that material. There's also the "Signature Moves" trait that gives you a masterwork item of up to 900 GP value and a bluff / intimidate bonus while displaying that item.

Chulanowa

Quote from: NinjaWeazel on December 31, 2016, 01:39:01 PM
how about just the monk trait then, and I burn my L1 feat on EWP for the dueling sword? I'll still have to actually buy finesse and such for it either way.

What's wrong with a pre-existing monk sword? Man, people and their katana-swinging monks  :P I suppose that with the stuff in the weapon Master Handbook, a character could design a blade like this, and have a smith make it... but that'd be one of those "gotta do it in game" things, else everyone's making sword-chucks at character creation  O8)

NinjaWeazel

Not even gonna lie. I straight up want the finessabllity because my DEX is a higher priority than my STR, so a weapon that I can finesse and has real in-setting style points for cool is worth more to me mechanically and stylistically than a weapon I can trip people with.

Chulanowa

Well, an aldori sword is always finessable if you're proficient. You just can't flurry with it. Now, I suppose you could have it in your hand, use it when you can't make a full-attack action, and then just punch / kick / headbutt / actual monk weapon the hell out of people with your other hand when you can make a full-attack action? Like "suprise, motherfucker! you thought I was a swashbuckler!"

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, aldor dueling sword has cultural reference in Brevoy (also reason why figther archtype and a PrC excist embrace 'sword lord' fantasy). But it's much harder to turn a figther into a monk than get monk able wield single bladed cultural weapon as extension of their body (like rest monk weapons do). It's fitting for wushu styled fantasy wield curved single edged blade.

What comes to alternative suggestions; Heirloom weapon allows gain profiency in given weapon (instead other bonuses) and as sorcerer I am not profient in martial weapons to wield dueling sword with 'brute force' (need exotic weapon profiency able wield it as finesse weapon). Ancestral weapon demands you be profient with weapon which you inherit (it's regional feat while heirloom weapon is eguipment trait so in theory could take both and so weapon is result of 2 traits).

So, perhaps one my char's parents was Kellid in origin (and probably owner of said blade which was hidden somereason), considering my char already speaks Kellid's native language. Also nothing would prevent for Kellid sword lords excisting (albeit unusual).

Phaia

Quote from: NinjaWeazel on December 31, 2016, 02:22:06 PM
Not even gonna lie. I straight up want the finessabllity because my DEX is a higher priority than my STR, so a weapon that I can finesse and has real in-setting style points for cool is worth more to me mechanically and stylistically than a weapon I can trip people with.

Now now now! Ninja! my character is gonna be the dex type with unchained rogue. Heck at 3rd level She can choose one finesse weapon and add dex as damage in. Knife fighter!!
You go punch them and use that spiffy sword. I will wait and dart behind and hammer them with my daggers and sneak attacks!

;D ;D

Phaia

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 31, 2016, 02:28:13 PM
Well, an aldori sword is always finessable if you're proficient. You just can't flurry with it. Now, I suppose you could have it in your hand, use it when you can't make a full-attack action, and then just punch / kick / headbutt / actual monk weapon the hell out of people with your other hand when you can make a full-attack action? Like "suprise, motherfucker! you thought I was a swashbuckler!"

Or alternatively long term provide chance to get magic item which turns anything into monk weapon. There is documented official +1 longsword which turns to +3 in hands of monk and functions as monk weapon in all purposes. Aldori dueling sword description mentions you can wield it like a longsword with martial weapon profiency. So a dueling sword version of same weapon would not be far fetched.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 31, 2016, 02:37:27 PM
Or alternatively long term provide chance to get magic item which turns anything into monk weapon. There is documented official +1 longsword which turns to +3 in hands of monk and functions as monk weapon in all purposes. Aldori dueling sword description mentions you can wield it like a longsword with martial weapon profiency. So a dueling sword version of same weapon would not be far fetched.

Well yeah, magic can do anything. Except tell why kids love cinnamon toast crunch.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 31, 2016, 02:50:51 PM
Well yeah, magic can do anything. Except tell why kids love cinnamon toast crunch.

It's easy; just cast divination to figure it out :). However some god can decide troll you with miss chance for wrong answer.

Phaia

I think this is the image I may use for my rogue! Though explaining purple hair may be a problem? unless...a disguise she is kinda wanted in a different area where they think she is dead! Kinda...maybe...she hopes!

Phaia

Zaer Darkwail

Purple hair = pun of jokes for having fey ancestry locally speaking and feys do sure love frolick with mortals :P. But then again using disguise kit to change hair color would be normal for wanted people both in fantasy and in RL. So purple hair can be from personal preference or fashion statement.

Phaia

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on December 31, 2016, 03:04:11 PM
Purple hair = pun of jokes for having fey ancestry locally speaking and feys do sure love frolick with mortals :P. But then again using disguise kit to change hair color would be normal for wanted people both in fantasy and in RL. So purple hair can be from personal preference or fashion statement.

hmm that actually can works since I was planning on her having the fey racial trait!! Nice Touch thanks!

of course that means she could be recognized and stand out a bit!

Phaia

Phaia

Okay Chulanowa I have several questions for ya!

I am going human with my rogue and was looking at taking this
QuoteFey Magic (2 RP): The character has a mystic connection to one terrain type, selected from the ranger's favored terrain list. The character selects three 0-level druid spells and one 1st-level druid spell. If the character has a Charisma score of 11 or higher, when in the selected terrain, she gains these spells as spell-like abilities that can be cast once per day. The caster level for these effects is equal to the user's character level. The DC for the spell-like abilities is equal to 10 + the spell's level + the user's Charisma modifier. These spells are treated as being from a fey source for the purposes of the druid's resist nature's lure class feature and similar abilities. In addition, select two of the following skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Climb, Diplomacy, Disguise, Escape Artist, Fly, Knowledge (nature), Perception, Perform, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Swim, or Use Magic Device. The selected skills are always class skills for the character. Lastly, the human also gains low-light vision. This trait replaces skilled. Source: HotW

First off any problems with me doing that? Second all the skills listed save one are already rogue skills so I was wondering if maybe I could choose Survival as one of the skills. It would be useful and help with her being a scout!

I do plan on using her free feat to get the human feat 'Fast Learner'
QuoteFast Learner (Human)
You progress gain extra versatility.
Prerequisites: Int 13, human.

Benefit: When you gain a level in a favored class, you gain both +1 hit point and +1 skill rank instead of choosing either one or the other benefit or you can choose an alternate class reward.
Sure I need a 13 Int but that is not that hard honestly with a rogue. This gives basically the toughness feat replaces the skilled racial trait...so all nice and handled!

Also before I fully comment I wanted to be sure you have no problem with the variant wizard as part of her multi-class. I ask because of the Transmutation school abilities. Sure the character looses 5 feats but gains a familiar at 3rd level [her rogue levels for all this count as wizard levels]. It is at level 7 that things get wild. Telekinetic fist is nice - 1d4+1 per 2 levels to 30feet ranged touch attack. [Yea Sneak attack] 3 times a day +Int mod. It is Physical enhancement that rocks. getting it at 7th [equal to 7th wizard] gives a floating +2 to any physical ability that scales. Changing it when preparing spells means either it does not move each day or the character had to spend the time a wizard would preparing spells to move it around!

At will cantrip at 11th, [yeaaa], Discovery at 15 [probally a craft feat] and at 19th the last school ability which is change shape???

These are really worth the 5 feat tax especially the physical enhancement part.

I wanted to be sure this was all fine before I fleshed everything out!

Phaia

Chulanowa

Quote from: Phaia on December 31, 2016, 02:59:08 PM
I think this is the image I may use for my rogue! Though explaining purple hair may be a problem? unless...a disguise she is kinda wanted in a different area where they think she is dead! Kinda...maybe...she hopes!

Phaia

I'm more curious about the apparently knife-based clothing she's wearing  ;D

Quote from: Phaia on December 31, 2016, 03:40:18 PM
Okay Chulanowa I have several questions for ya!

I am going human with my rogue and was looking at taking this
First off any problems with me doing that? Second all the skills listed save one are already rogue skills so I was wondering if maybe I could choose Survival as one of the skills. It would be useful and help with her being a scout!

Taking this is fine - lots of people have done so already! However, what you read is what you get. There are several character traits that give you Survival as an in-class skill though.

QuoteI do plan on using her free feat to get the human feat 'Fast Learner'Sure I need a 13 Int but that is not that hard honestly with a rogue. This gives basically the toughness feat replaces the skilled racial trait...so all nice and handled!

Not a problem.

QuoteAlso before I fully comment I wanted to be sure you have no problem with the variant wizard as part of her multi-class. I ask because of the Transmutation school abilities. Sure the character looses 5 feats but gains a familiar at 3rd level [her rogue levels for all this count as wizard levels]. It is at level 7 that things get wild. Telekinetic fist is nice - 1d4+1 per 2 levels to 30feet ranged touch attack. [Yea Sneak attack] 3 times a day +Int mod. It is Physical enhancement that rocks. getting it at 7th [equal to 7th wizard] gives a floating +2 to any physical ability that scales. Changing it when preparing spells means either it does not move each day or the character had to spend the time a wizard would preparing spells to move it around!

Well, it's an Enchancement Bonus, and wouldn't stack with other Enhancement Bonuses to the same score. By the time you're 7th level you might very well have a Belt of Physical Whatever giving you a +2 bonus. So it's not that big of a deal, except it saves you some gold and an item slot, I guess.

QuoteAt will cantrip at 11th, [yeaaa], Discovery at 15 [probally a craft feat] and at 19th the last school ability which is change shape???

Well first, I doubt this is going to see 19th level  ;D

As for item creation feats... I'm not sure if "effective wizard level" counts for their "Caster level X" prerequisite. Even if it does, you'll be somewhat limited in your ability to do so, since almost all magical items require spellcasting to make.

QuoteThese are really worth the 5 feat tax especially the physical enhancement part.

I wanted to be sure this was all fine before I fleshed everything out!

Phaia

Frankly just the Familiar is pretty much worth a Wizard VMC, the rest is gravy.

Rummy Tum Tum

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 31, 2016, 02:50:51 PM
Not 100% getting everything being talked about. But this. This made my day.

Bibliophilia

-pops the cork.-  Happy New Year's eve, y'all!

Also, as far as healing goes...my gnome has a pouch full of juicy berries she can shove into people's mouths when they need a li'l pick-me-up.  -waggles brows.-

Xunthrae

Happy new year's eve everyone!

And as for healing, I could also pick up the Healing Hex at level 2, which means everyone gets 1 free Cure Light Wounds/day as well as any i prepare.

Rummy Tum Tum

Phaia

Yeap! Happy NEW YEAR!

Rummy what are you not understanding? Part of the reason I am a late poster was I read up on some of the things being offered!!

I'm more curious about the apparently knife-based clothing she's wearing  ;D

Well Chul I could have gone with a different image. One with blonde hair and wearing nothing at all but I thought that type of rogue would be far to dangerous for all these noble types around here!!

oh Bibli you mean this pouch that my character is rummaging through!!

Phaia

Rummy Tum Tum

Quote from: Phaia on December 31, 2016, 06:03:26 PM
Yeap! Happy NEW YEAR!

Rummy what are you not understanding? Part of the reason I am a late poster was I read up on some of the things being offered!!
Just not knowing things like how EWP means Exotic Weapon Proficiency. That sort of stuff. Google surely helps out in that regard.

Vergil Tanner

Happy New year!!!

So question for the floor; should I multi class as a Magus, maybe as a Fighter for some extra Hit Dice and a free feat, or stay Mono Magus?
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Phaia

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on December 31, 2016, 06:20:13 PM
Happy New year!!!

So question for the floor; should I multi class as a Magus, maybe as a Fighter for some extra Hit Dice and a free feat, or stay Mono Magus?

Vergil, before you claimed and built a Magus I was looking at the class.
One of the best guides I found was here Myrrh, Frankincense and Steel basically a Magus is already multi-class and looses a bit when they take a dip. Though I was considering 'White Haired Witch' to go with my Bladed Scarf Dancer Concept. There are arcana that allow you to use your arcane pool on natural weapons.

Speaking of that aspect, Ninja I have been following you questions. Have you looked at taking the variant multi-class and go with a Magus. It would help a lot with your concept. Allowing an arcane pool at 3rd and Arcana that can be used to enchant natural weapons like say your fists or a sword! I also looked at that combo and it has a lot of interesting potential with the unchained monk [which I do hope you are using]

To Chul, would you allow a trait [from the 2 not used] to come from another campaign group. From Legacy of Fire:
QuoteFinding Your Kin
Choose: an NPC and a class.
Benefit The chosen class is always a favored class to you, and your dedication to it is such that every time you take a level in the class, you gain +1 hit point and 1 additional skill point over and above what you would normally gain. If multiple PCs take this trait, they should be siblings who were both protected and raised by the chosen NPC.

I may change my campaign trait +100gp is not that great in the long run! A horse though hmmmm!

Phaia

Chulanowa

A character can only have one of any kind of trait. Like one campaign trait, one combat trait, one family trait, etc. And in this case i'm only allowing campaign traits from Kingmaker.

Frankly even if I were doing Legacy of Fire, I would alter that trait anyway. It's kind of broken. You end up with a full group who are related to Haleen  ;D

Phaia

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 31, 2016, 06:52:00 PM
A character can only have one of any kind of trait. Like one campaign trait, one combat trait, one family trait, etc. And in this case i'm only allowing campaign traits from Kingmaker.

Frankly even if I were doing Legacy of Fire, I would alter that trait anyway. It's kind of broken. You end up with a full group who are related to Haleen  ;D

I had to ask since it would have been basically like the Fast Learner Human Feat I am looking at! Will you allow later that 'Extra Traits' Feat. There are a bunch here that I really like and I am having to figure out which I want for my rogue, Normally traits are not that hard.

Phaia