The Empress's Own (historical, culture clash, all welcome, still recruiting)

Started by IrishWolf, December 29, 2016, 06:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HannibalBarca

Here's my Sylvain, a captain and comrade in arms of the Major:

Player: HannibalBarca
Group: Military Mission
Name: Sylvain Laflèche
Highest Rank Held: Brevet Colonel
Social Standing: Once very minor nobility
Sexual Preference: Heterosexual

Appearance:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The youngest of four brothers and two sisters, Sylvain is a fairly gaunt-faced man just into the second half of his twenties, although he bears himself with the experiences of one who has lived through more than his years indicate.  He, like most men of his family, is fairly tall, at 6'4".  He wears his facial hair as in the second picture, with a waxed moustache and full beard.  Aside from his striking blue eyes, Sylvain sports several scars from past cavalry engagements, mostly saber blows that managed to pierce his jacket--he has two on his upper left arm, one on his right forearm, one on his back left shoulder, and a long, thin one across his abdomen that only missed gutting him.  He has a Bosc ball scar on his upper right thigh that went deep but did not strike his femur, and a hatching of scar tissue on the right side of his neck where a ball narrowly missed taking away his carotid during his last charge in the Tauacian War.  He wears a uniform as in the third picture, of the 2nd Chasseurs Chevalier Regiment.

Weapons: Le Hir revolver and Pattern 1630 cavalry officer's saber.  His sword was presented to him by the commander of the 2nd Regiment for bravery in battle on his attaining Brevet Major, and it is very important to him.  He was trained in the use of the carbine cavalry version of the Bosc rifle, but he did not bring one personally.

Extra Gear: Aside from extra ammunition and minor toiletries, he brought three journals for writing in, and several historical works; some of old-world nations and some of the only books available on Arakia.  A lone journal contains images of his family, particularly his deceased brothers Olivier and Jean.  His oldest sister Delphine is very close to him, and the journal contains pressed rose petals she sent him when he received his officer's commission.  He has a locket he wears around his neck with pictures of his parents, and his siblings as children. 

History: Sylvain was born into a minor noble family with a long history in Sesal, although it has had its travails.  Hundreds of years past it was of greater import, but the vagaries of time have stolen away much of the standing of the Laflèches.  Regardless, it is a proud family with a long military tradition, and many names in gold on the family crypt as befits those who died in the service of their country.

More than one of his ancestors served in the Army decades ago as Garde Impériale, and his family has offered up many of their men in the cavalry.  From his enlistment at seventeen to his final day of combat in the Tauacian War, he served in the 2nd Chasseurs Chevalier Regiment, a very colored and decorated cavalry unit.  Sylvain, in many ways, made up for what his two older brothers could not, as they died in early engagements during the war.  His third brother, as eldest son, served in the Navy and survived several of his own harrowing engagements, but none of the male members of his family received the acclaim Sylvain did during the war.  Combat attrition saw him promoted by war's end to Brevet Colonel, although his marked bravery and skill in leadership was not enough to see him over the various political movements that saw other men maintain their rank after the war.  Still, he accepted his post-war rank of Captain, as he very much loved his men and brothers in arms.

Still, Sylvain is more than just a soldier.  His interests tend to lean heavily towards history and geography, particularly foreign nations.  With the crossing of The Doldrum, Sylvain found a great interest in the newly-discovered lands, and after the war, although stationed in the same fort as Major Meresse (in the cavalry detachment), he found himself wishing for an opportunity to visit Arakia.  While often practicing his swordplay with his fellow officer, when he heard the Major was up for the leadership position for the Mission, he practically leapt to offer himself for a position as well.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

IrishWolf

Excellent.

I'm working on a few NPC profiles and I think I'll add a cast of characters to the first post. Hopefully we snag a few more players.

SweetSerenade

After you get Satsuki going I'll work on Ambassador Dupont - since I'll know how they work. xD

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

IrishWolf

Alright, so here we have a profile for NPCs, which are warranted as important

[b]NPC[/b]
[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Age[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Appearance[/b]:
[b]History[/b]:

And that of  Empress Satsuki

NPC
Name: Empress Satsuki
Appearance:
Standing at a mere five feet tall, Satsuki is nearly the living definition of petite. Slim, nearly to the point of being lithe, not that one could tell, given the many layers of clothing forced upon her by tradition, at least when she is seen by any but her very immediate household. Her long hair is so black, its nearly blue and almost constantly styled, tucked up and folded into elebrate headdresses of gold and gems. Her smooth skin is pale, as she is rarely allowed outdoors, at least not without many colorful parasols to protect her.
History: Born in 1635, at least by the Osoren calendar, Satsuki was the second child of then Emperor Kiyoshi and his first daughter. For most of her life, she was not the heir, that honor going to her older brother, Ryuunosuke. However, that all changed when she was sixteen, when her brother took ill and died suddenly and rather strangely, a tragedy which seemed to sap the life from her father, bringing about his own untimely death nearly a year later. For the year before she reached her majority and could ascend the throne, her mother, the Dowager Empress Manami ruled the Arakian Empire but has since gone into seclusion.

As a child, Satsuki was rather serious, until her growing friendship with Rieko Hayashi, one of the children brought to be her companions, broke her out of that shell, leading to what many court officials deemed a reign of terror, given the pranks the pair pulled. As time went one, it seemed that her best friend took on the serious nature the future Empress had thrown off, at least in public, leaving many to consider their ruler to be rather silly and harmless, especially given her fascination with the strangers in the iron ships. Many in the court have gone out of their way to keep the influence of the outlanders well away from her majesty.

The truth of the matter couldn’t be further from the truth or at least, things have changed in the two years she has “ruled” the Empire. Like many Emperors before her, she has found that her real powers are rather limited and more troubling, rumors have reached her, with enough proof to be believed, that her brother did not die of natural causes and may have been intended as a warning to her father, not to try to reclaim the true power of his office.

She does enjoy a genuine fascination with the Sesalians and more so with their clothing. However, she does believe that their arrival on the day she was to take the throne, was a sign from the Heavens. They may yet be the key to restoring her family.

SweetSerenade

Any good suggestions for Ambassador Dupont? I remember that Aurora got her red hair from her mother, so he can have just about any appearance?

IrishWolf

Lets see, if I remember correctly, the last time we had a description of Ambassador Dupont it was; An older gentleman with a great beard, which was graying nicely

SweetSerenade

That's what I remember as well. He was a bit on the larger side, but not not massive. Kind of on a 'fluffy' side of things? Obviously he's done well in his position as an Ambassador. :3

IrishWolf

As an Ambassador, one must go to many parties and state dinners. Its part of the job, dont you know? A sacrifice for diplomacy

SweetSerenade

Exactly, so figuring out who to have as his playby, as most of his profile is just a little bit of information. A basics on his Personality, those sorts of details.

IrishWolf

Well, I think we'll opening the story tomorrow afternoon (EST), recruitment will still be open.

Tokyorose627

Quote from: IrishWolf on January 02, 2017, 04:25:43 PM
Well, I think we'll opening the story tomorrow afternoon (EST), recruitment will still be open.

Awesome!

SweetSerenade

Awesome, I think recruitment should stay open anyways. :3 This is the kind of game that people can come into pretty much at any point, and still have fun. I'm weighing the possibility of making a male Arakian - to try to help balance things out. Though I'm debating it still. xD

IrishWolf

HannibalBarca

“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

SweetSerenade

NPC
Name: Adrien Dupont (Ambassador Dupont)
Appearance:

Ambassador Dupont is obviously a man that has had a lot of laughter and joy in his life. Just looking at him you can see he is a man that smiles easily - and laughs just as easily. Standing at a good 5'9'' he is a man that often stands above his peers. His easy smile, and cheerful demeanor is easily what makes him highly desired as an Ambassador by his people.

His dark hair is graying considerably, and he has a rather 'doting father' or 'elderly uncle' sort of air to him. Most people enjoy his jovial look, and the twinkle in his dark eyes.
History:
Adrien Dupont started life as the oldest son of lesser Nobility, his parents had three other children - of which two died in infancy. His surviving sibling is his younger sister, Celeste, who married into a higher noble home. From a young age he showed to have an adept mind, and because of it he easily began taking up work of the State. Which eventually lead him towards his course of being an Ambassador. He has done a lot of work for his country, in this regard.

When he was about twenty years old he married the daughter of an old family friend. Seraphina, was a woman he had admired for a long time. Her fiery personality matched the fire of her hair, and he loved her with every fiber of his being. She gave him three beautiful children, though only survived to this day. The first, Philip, died in a boating accident with servants. His middle child; Aurora, is not marriageable, shows promise with her mind - and as a doting father, how can he deny his only surviving child anything her heart desires? His youngest child, was not able to be named, as the boy died with Seraphina in childbirth.

Ambassador Dupont has only recently started looking for a new wife, as he knows he will need to produce a male heir at some point. He loves his daughter, but Aurora cannot carry on the family duties that need to be carried on, he is hoping though that she might be able to establish herself a position within the Arakian Court - through her astounding linguistic skills. He can't hope for much of a future with her in their home country, due to the nature of her inability to be proper marriage material, but he can hope for a future in this strange place that he has come to love so much.