Pathfinder RPG with E6 Game Rules - GM/Player Interest Check

Started by RubySlippers, February 19, 2013, 06:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippyness

One group I played with came up with an idea (in 3.5 that we upped for Pathfinder).

Everyone rolls a d6. Then you add the difference from 6 to your classes Hit Die. So mages add 0 (d6 hit die), rogues and bards and such add 2 (d8 hit die), Fighters would add 4 (d10) and barbarians would add a huge 6 (d12).

This insures that the warriors stay ahead of the paper mages but that everyone still has a variance in hit points, but the mage will never have more HP (as has happened... damned 2's -_-)

Also, we could add racial HP if we need a bonus on top of everything else.
Totally me in that avatar. ^_-
I need something exactly seven percent stronger than TEA!
Something I have found helpful from other partners. http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=hippyness

Triggvi

Quote from: Blinkin on March 03, 2013, 09:40:23 PM
I've always prefered to give 1st level max HP just to give them a chance of surviving to 2nd level. In the end, the difference is minimal at best.
This would be for the hit dice after first. 2nd through 6th.

Blinkin

I'm not sure that I get the D6 thing... is the added difference added onto a regular HD roll, or is that the increased HP? Example, is all that the fighter gets at 2nd, 3rd and so on 4 HP a level, or is it added to a regular roll, say a roll of 4 on a D10, then add 4 and your con bonus?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

yesiroleplay

I wouldn't worry greatly about hp - you get max at 1st and roll thereafter.
But....
While I plan on level advancement be very slow indeed, other benefits both social and combat be forthcoming.
Suffice to say, if the Barbarian rolls a 1 on d12, he won't be stuck with it forever.

Triggvi

Quote from: Triggvi on March 03, 2013, 10:10:05 AM
I am wondering if we should do a separate character thread?
Do we want to get all the current characters in one place? Character thread?

TheRaven

A link to Seldlon Halems, consulting detective.

Biography (written in character)
Are you familiar with the term "Forlorn?" With a capital "F?" Unless you're an elf, I'd suspect the answer is "no." Well, I'm one of them. We're the elves who grow up in human cities. If we're lucky, we might end up being similar to our Kyonin cousins, minus the patience. Otherwise we usually end up as cynics. Take a wild guess as to which one I ended up as.

But then again, the slums of Taldor will quite often turn a wide-eyed idealist into a hard-bitten cynic within a few months. Seeing generations of friends grow up and die is pretty bad for that, too. So, I took up travel. I made enough cash picking pockets and made a break out of the city. I saw it all, did it all... well, in terms of professional work, anyway. You see, tradesmen are always looking for apprentices. Tradesmen often have places to stay and eat for their apprentices. Hey, it was life on the run. I did what I could.

Funny thing about the travel was that I started to learn about places. I started to learn about people, how to read them, how to read the world around me. Another thing I discovered was that people rarely looked twice at a performer. And so, I started to perform. I went with something portable and pleasing: an instrument I found in the River Kingdoms. When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm kind of like the Sleepless Agency detectives, but cheaper. I'm a consulting detective.

Personality
Seldlon is cynical; he expects the worst in people, a tendency built up from over a century of usually being proven right when he did. He can be charming when he likes, and is perfectly capable of using his attractiveness to his advantage, but it's a facade he uses in order to get what he wants. At heart he's cold and detached from the world around him, with freedom and entertainment for himself as his ultimate goals in life. His usual vices include brunettes and cider, both to excess.

His freedom is what matters the utmost to him, and whoever pays for his services is the one making sure that he gets to have it. Admittedly, there are some  Seldlon strives for his survival and liberty with both efficiency and chilling amorality. At one point in his life, he was in love. He leaves it out of accounts of his life because it ended poorly. If there's one thing that he detests besides being imprisoned, it's being bored. Another point that Seldlon makes is to try to stay discreet. After all, as a private detective, the last thing he needs is a public image.
"Hey," said Shadow. "Huginn or Muninn, or whoever you are"
The bird turned, head tipped, suspiciously, on one side, and it stared at him with bright eyes.
"Say 'Nevermore,'" said Shadow.
"Fuck you," said the raven.

RubySlippers

How about a choice roll the die for hit points or take the average plus con?  For example a Wizard would get 3 Hit Points plus con if any, a fighter 5 Hit Points plus con if any etc.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 03, 2013, 11:36:52 PM
How about a choice roll the die for hit points or take the average plus con?  For example a Wizard would get 3 Hit Points plus con if any, a fighter 5 Hit Points plus con if any etc.
That's actually my usual/typical way of doing hit points in regular Pathfinder or DnD
I think a straight roll is better for this game.  As I mentioned there are remedies for poor rolls

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on March 03, 2013, 11:39:31 PM
That's actually my usual/typical way of doing hit points in regular Pathfinder or DnD
I think a straight roll is better for this game.  As I mentioned there are remedies for poor rolls
My only concern is that remedy is worse than the original problem. Lol

RubySlippers

Well I can always take Toughness at 6th level for a +6 hp boost.

Triggvi

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 04, 2013, 08:49:40 AM
Well I can always take Toughness at 6th level for a +6 hp boost.

You have a point.

I did some editing to Glabrous, I changed and added more to his story and change one of his traits.

yesiroleplay

Basically - I think a barbarian rolling a 1 on his d12 is a great roleplay opportunity - and I don't plan on combat being so challenging that rolling a 1 becomes a death penalty.
The fighter that hits like a tank, but has a glass jaw is more interesting than an unstoppable death-machine.

Triggvi

Quote from: yesiroleplay on March 04, 2013, 01:25:03 PM
Basically - I think a barbarian rolling a 1 on his d12 is a great roleplay opportunity - and I don't plan on combat being so challenging that rolling a 1 becomes a death penalty.
The fighter that hits like a tank, but has a glass jaw is more interesting than an unstoppable death-machine.
I was teasing a bit because you made it so nebulous and sinister. Smiles.

Triggvi

Besides, I don't think any of us created an unstoppable death machine. We all have a fair amount of social skills even the gladiator.

I also throw a hook or two into his backstory if you want to have fun with them at some point.

I am looking forward to the game
Triggvi

Blinkin

Why I love rangers so much. You can reach out and touch someone before they can touch you with something that'll leave long, unsightly scars. ;)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Triggvi

Quote from: Blinkin on March 04, 2013, 02:36:06 PM
Why I love rangers so much. You can reach out and touch someone before they can touch you with something that'll leave long, unsightly scars. ;)
Rangers are very enjoyable. The number of skill points make them a skilled combat class.

Arrows don't normally leave huge scars. After all they create puncture wounds more than slashes. Blades do a better job than that.

Triggvi

Right now we seem to be short on divine healing.
We have:
A wizard
A ranger
2 bards
A gladiator

RubySlippers

Triggvi

They do but not the levels clerics can get plus the channeling abilities are nice too.

Healergirl

*delurking*

A suggestion:  Divine healing, or a semi divine Healer should be available to handle injuries the Bard's can't deal with.  For a price.  Not money, but services, debts and obligations. 

The adventure hooks just write themselves!

hippyness

I typically use wands to make up for the shortness in a bard's healing.
Totally me in that avatar. ^_-
I need something exactly seven percent stronger than TEA!
Something I have found helpful from other partners. http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=hippyness

Healergirl

*nods*  The pocket healer!

Depends on whether such wands exist, depends on the tone of the game the Gm want's to run.

Blinkin

The only problem with an NPC healer and healing for services is that said healing will not be around if you're 30 miles from town and at negative HP after a fight. I've played in a campaign where we had no healer and while ressurections are wonderful, the "Services" or price for it kept the party so deep in debt that the game finally failed because everyone got tired of working for the church all of the time and never having anything else to do.

A wand of healing is nice, it has charges, but between that and bard's minor talents, it'll probably work. The bards won't have anything else but healing spells most of the time. ;)

There's a ranger archetype that allows druid spells, but at 6th as the max level, it would only be 1 spell a day and you loose some nice ranger perks for it. Although, I'm willing to adjust the character to take those options if it would help the party.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

RubySlippers

I am an Arcane Crafter school wizard at the end of 6th leve if I take Toughness then I will have: Scribe Scrolls, Craft Wonderous Items and Craft Magic Arms & Armor as feats I can make with the help of the bards a few reuseable healing charms even at 3rd Level say Cure Light Wounds 1x/day or something. And a bard can learn Brew Potion there we have access to various healing potions. I plan to pick up other item creation feats with xp after that. Its my one way around the issues of a wizard in this game make cool magic items to fill in and add to ones arsenal.

Its all in how you think about getting around these little problems.  ;D

Oh are we going to start soon?

yesiroleplay

Quote from: RubySlippers on March 05, 2013, 10:14:02 AM
I am an Arcane Crafter school wizard at the end of 6th leve if I take Toughness then I will have: Scribe Scrolls, Craft Wonderous Items and Craft Magic Arms & Armor as feats I can make with the help of the bards a few reuseable healing charms even at 3rd Level say Cure Light Wounds 1x/day or something. And a bard can learn Brew Potion there we have access to various healing potions. I plan to pick up other item creation feats with xp after that. Its my one way around the issues of a wizard in this game make cool magic items to fill in and add to ones arsenal.

Its all in how you think about getting around these little problems.  ;D

Oh are we going to start soon?
Sadly, I'll probably not get us started until this weekend.  But I am churning plans over in my head!

And Item Creation feats are great fodder for roleplay!  Gathering materials, learning formulae, finding the time, having the damned neighbor's cat (neighbor's damned cat?) tip over the cauldron just at the wrong time...

Hehe