Christmas and then the butler did it! - well maybe...

Started by Sylque, November 30, 2012, 10:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylque

There's an idea I've had for a long time and always wondered how it would play out in an online rp setting.  Have any of you hosted a Murder Mystery dinner or participated in one?  =)   Well that's the concept I'd like to try out here.  I will 'host' and possibly play a few characters to add 'suspense' but that may change depending on the players who want to participate and what they'd be most inspired to do!

Ok.. the idea! ... Are you willing to be involved in blackmail, sex (IF this moves to the adult rp section), larceny, deceit and ... murder?

The era is the late 1920's.... women are rediscovering their sexual freedom.. Men are modeling themselves after Al Capone.  The atmosphere is party like.  Christmas is around the corner and people are in an unusually joyful mood.  You've been invited to a prestigious dinner party in the heart of affluent Chicago.  The invitation was rather mysterious - black with gold writing that only said the place and time but you're at ease since you know the host Geraldine Manfred (more on that later) from your university days and remember her as being a rather uppity society dame with a very very wild side.  The other interesting observation about the invitation is that it had three words in an elegant 'blood red' script much different from the font the invitation was written in and you found it on the back of the invitation.              "It was you."

Sylque

Yikes I hit post too early!  *sheepish grin*   

If this gets your creative juices flowing, I would love you'd to join! The more the merrier.  In fact, being new to this site and rp by post, I would really love it if a mentor or two would take part to help me along and maybe other newcomers might benefit too.

Please if you wish to take part, would you provide the following:
1.  a description of your character that would include physical appearance and obvious personality traits,
2.  how they met Geraldine
3.  their current 'public/known' occupation
4.  plan on a shady occupation for your character but don't reveal it here  - it should be a secret for now  ;)
5.  If you're open to other player's characters knowing yours in the past as well through Geraldine, please add that as well!

Oh.. and your character needs to be single or at least portray them that way. ;)

Let's see how this goes!  I have to admit, I'm a little nervous having never done this before but definitely excited. 

xxmaxinitxx

Well it seems interesting enough to me! So I will put in a request to join ^_^

1a. My character is male with slightly short straight strawberry blond hair. He has light blue eyes and is around 6' tall. His nose is maybe slightly smaller than it should be on his face and his lips are average. He has light tan skin and his eye brows are not overly bushy but they are not trimmed or heavily plucked either. He is not overly buff but is in good shape. his muscles are more of the lean and stamina quality. He will be wearing a suit to the party.
1b. Outward he provides a friendly personality and trys to get as many people comfortable around him as he can. But he is always listening to the littlest slips of the tongue and uses everything he learns to the best of his ability. He is ambitious and is willing to do anything to get to the top
2. He met Geraldine through a previous party she through back in the university and they got talking and hit it off rather well.
3. As of right now he is a banker for a fairly well known bank.
4. It's a secret ^_^
5. I am fine with that.

Sylque

Great!   and a banker!  that will fit very nicely..  ;)   I'll post Geraldine's info in a bit.. and here's hoping evem more join but even if they don't we can make it fun!  stay tuned!!

Sylque

Name: Geraldine Manfred

1a.  Description:
  Around her early 30's but her vibrant zest for life makes her appear much younger.  She wears her platinum blonde hair quite short in the oh so popular flapper style with cute kiss curls about her deceitfully innocent face and accent her big wide baby blues. She has very kissable lips that are constantly moistened with her constant bubbly chatter.   Her accent definitely gives it away that she's from New York originally and has most likely come to Chicago for the fun and action.  She's a 'flapper girl' from the tip of the feather in fashionable cloche to the tip of her equally fashionable satin shoes.  She's often seen driving around in an elegant Packard DeLuxe Eight Sport Phaeton automobile and seems to drip money.  Diamonds are definitely her best friend along with her gold cigarette holder.

1b - Personality: Gregarious, vivacious, lights up the room when she walks into it but flighty and appears woefully unorganized - at least on the surface because how on earth does she manage to pull off those great parties that people would 'kill' for to get an invitation to.

3 - Occupation:   She is a true society dame who appears to know about nothing but high society and the party scene.  Perhaps her greatest asset is that she gives great parties - the kind that make the society pages and are whispered about as nothing short of ... scandalous!

xxmaxinitxx

I'm glad you like my choice of character! This is a very interesting time in history so I think we can have a lot of fun with this role play ^_^

Sylque

Agreed!  Ok.. i'm not going to wait for more but I think the rp storyline will lend itself to any others joining in later.    I've started a thread on the Non-Adult Rping site called - Manic Malfeasance - Chicago Style for all the IC stuff.

We can use this string for all the OOC information or questions/clarifications etc.   I'm also going to post backgrounds of some key characters that our characters are going to come across.   If you or anyone else feels like playing them as well, just let me know otherwise, I'll use them to guide the storyline.  Although having said that I'm all about spontaneity so if the rp goes in a completely different direction than what I was thinking I'm totally good with that too..   sound good? 

Sylque

Name: Tessa D'Angelo

Nickname: Flame

Description:  No other words but 'smoldering' beauty would describe her.  She is the personification of elegance and sultriness.  Her long fiery red hair flows to her waist evidence that she flaunts convention given that she lives during 'The Roaring Twenties'.  Her eyes are jet black but if one got close enough would see that they are a very strange hue of black-violet.  She seems almost other-wordly in the sense that her beauty is unmatched, her voice like the angels and a certain aura about her that makes you recall the sorceresses  that 'fairytales' describe.   Some say she does work a certain sorcery over her fans and her lovers.

Occupation:  a well renowned singer who is featured at the most upscale nightclub called "Georgio's Blue Door".  Occasionally if the event is classy enough for this Doll, she'll appear for a tidy sum of course at private events. She sings with many of the top jazz bands and all enjoy her for her exuberance of style and her renditions of the more traditional blues melodies.

NOTE: This is a character invented to move the storyline along but if anyone feels inspired to play her, just let me know! 

xxmaxinitxx

Sounds good to me! I can't wait to start. I like your new character as well!

Sylque

Quote from: xxmaxinitxx on December 01, 2012, 11:48:12 AM
Sounds good to me! I can't wait to start. I like your new character as well!

Cool! =)   btw.. what's your character's name?

xxmaxinitxx

Devin Paul. So are you enjoying the role play so far?

Sylque

Name:  Georgio Vamanni

Nick name: Silky

Description:  a most colorful millionaire and inveterate gambler.  He made his fortune on the stock exchange but rumors suggest it was in much more shady ways.  Of course they can't be true or he'd be behind bars.. wouldn't he?  He's a bit on the heavy side with piercing blue eyes that never miss a thing and slick backed raven black hair.  He's flamboyant, outspoken and always impeccably dressed.  He's never without a diamond stickpin and a Havana cigar.  Of course there's usually a couple of blondes flanking each arm.  You know the type!

Occupation:  Currently he's known for owning and managing his upscale night club "Georgio's Blue Door".   It also appears that he amuses himself with high stake poker games.  No one's really too sure where he makes his millions  anymore but there's a lot of speculation going on.

Common knowledge:   He has a particular father-like fondness for Geraldine.  He feels quite protective of her and gives off the air that nobody messes with his Geraldine.

NOTE: This character is being used to advance the storyline but if anyone feels inspired to play him, let me know!

Sylque

xxmaxinitxx

I am! I'm glad your enjoying it as well. I'm not quite writing as much as you for each reply so i hope that doesn't bother you.

Sylque

Quote from: xxmaxinitxx on December 01, 2012, 12:52:54 PM
I am! I'm glad your enjoying it as well. I'm not quite writing as much as you for each reply so i hope that doesn't bother you.

Nope..doesn't bother me at all.  I'm writing a lot mostly to set the scene and establish the storyline so I don't expect you to.  :D   I tend to get a bit wordy when I'm really liking the storyline lol    Hope YOU don't mind!. 

xxmaxinitxx

I don't mind at all! Reading is one of my favorite past times so I like when people write a lot, and yeah I figured that was the main reason your writing so much.

Sylque

just in case i confused you, i forgot to log out last night before I went out so it looked like I was on line..  and didn't respond to your post.. oops! 

Sylque

Oh.. and I need to know the bank your character works for  :)

Sylque

Name:   Dottie Malone

Description: Her quiet confident charm and knack for knowing the critical stuff has her 'working' in a broad circle of influential and powerful people she now calls her friends.  Some seem to think she has friends on both sides of the law.   She is of average height with brown hair kept in a neatly cropped style of the times.  She is almost always seen in what could be called the first woman's suit. Definitely ahead of her time since she was not above wearing men's pants cinched flatteringly at her narrow waist. It was just easier jumping in and out of cars.   Her quietness could be unnerving since while she observed you, you would feel she was reading your mind and you often found yourself blabbing facts about things that you probably shouldn't just to fill the silence.

Occupation: A young reporter for Chicago's number one newspaper, The Chicago Herald.  She's known to have all the scoops on the local crime beat and the political scene - No latest recipes and housecleaning tips from her!

Of course Geraldine is one of her closest friends and some think maybe closer than they should be!  They can be seen almost every other evening at Georgio's Blue Door sharing a nonalcoholic drink - or was it.  Gin wasn't that hard to find if you knew the right people.

NOTE:  This character was invented to help move the story along.  If you're inspired to play her though, let me know!

xxmaxinitxx

It's okay! Thank you for informing me though ^_^ Anyway, He will work for the Central Manufacturing District Bank.

Sylque

Perfect.. stay tuned for the next post.. oh.. and in case it got lost in all the posts  I am sprinkling 'clues' as to what you're character work with through out my posts - ie the phone number and the phone booth   ;)   I'm guessing you already knew that but since we've never rp'd together before and you don't know my style I thought I might mention it.   

Also do you like using dice rolls to figure out a few things - to leave our own 'biases' out of the equation?  I'm good with either but thought I would check with you first.

Also .. :)  .. i hope the fact that there aren't more people involved is disappointing.  I have to admit I hoped more would join in but it could be because it's close to christmas.  Feel free to invite others you've met if you want.   Either way, I'm still enjoying it!

xxmaxinitxx

I'm excited to see what you post next. ^_^ Your next sentence has me slightly confused though. Do you mean like things I'm supposed to use to progress the story along?

I've never really thought of it before. I would be fine with either. I've never done the whole dice thing before though.

Nope. I'm not disappointed at all. I've never actually done a group role play. The role plays I usually do are one on one anyway. But I also don't often do forum type role plays. So if more people join it will be fun to try! But I don't mind this at all ^_^

Sylque

Perfect!  then I shall continue!   :)

To your question:
  Dice can be used to 'decide' what happens next when the players are more interested in something else other than them determining the outcome.    For example, Let's say Devin and Mr. Phonebooth man got into a fight.  The dice could be used to decide who 'won' the fight.   I could roll the dice bot for Mr. Phonebooth man and you would roll the dice bot for your character.  Who ever got the highest roll won the 'fight'.  This is a really simple version of using the dice.  There are way more complicated ways of using it that add in character statistics etc but I find that makes the rp go too slow.   

xxmaxinitxx

Well you seem more comfortable with the dice so we can use those if you wish ^_^

Sylque

I missed answering this question:
Quote from: xxmaxinitxx on December 02, 2012, 09:57:34 AM
I'm excited to see what you post next. ^_^ Your next sentence has me slightly confused though. Do you mean like things I'm supposed to use to progress the story along?

Yes, exactly.  =)   for example something might happen if you call that phone number that was in your invitation.  There's even a phone booth close by.  Maybe your character recognizes it or maybe he doesn't. Maybe it makes him nervous or maybe it raises his curiosity.  Or you don't call it at all!  It's a decision opportunity that you would need to make based on what your character might do.  Course if you rp recognizing the phone number, you're committing your character to knowing who answers the call.  ;)

This is the only style of rp that i really know about so i'm open to whatever happens and learning how everyone else does it too  ^_^