The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Hmm...how do you choose between an extremely powerful dictator in control of a planet full of wicked technology and a horrendous eye-laser power and a nearly indestructible, rampaging beast for the ultimate foe?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

mia h

In the choice between self-resurecting beast and intergalatic Hitler, space Hitler has to be the bigger foe.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

CaptainNexus616

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Deamonbane

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 04, 2015, 08:49:19 AM
Its gonna be a crap ton of CG either way.
Because the Marvel movies so far have been masters at not using CG to enhance their movies...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Wouldn't it be fun as hell if the CGI'd the crap out of Michael Ironside to play Darkseid, the one who provided his voice on the animated series of Superman and Justice League?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Deamonbane on February 04, 2015, 10:18:04 AM
Because the Marvel movies so far have been masters at not using CG to enhance their movies...
I have nothing wrong with CG being used to enhance films. Its when the CG replaces plot like Bay's films tend to do that I have an issue with it.

Quote from: Mathim on February 04, 2015, 07:52:50 PM
Wouldn't it be fun as hell if the CGI'd the crap out of Michael Ironside to play Darkseid, the one who provided his voice on the animated series of Superman and Justice League?

Just yes. Just Yes. I want Ironside back for that role.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on February 04, 2015, 08:09:47 PM
I have nothing wrong with CG being used to enhance films. Its when the CG replaces plot like Bay's films tend to do that I have an issue with it.

Just yes. Just Yes. I want Ironside back for that role.

Cool, I thought I might have been the odd man out who was alone in thinking that would be a good idea. I just like how in most of the things I've seen him in, whether a good guy or not, there's an instant dislike. Darkseid should have that effect. Plus his voice fits the character so perfectly.

TheGlyphstone

Is he still agile enough to pull off the role under mo-cap? I admittedly have not seen any recent movies with him in a prominent role...specifically, the last thing I saw him act in was Total Recall.

Granted, if they're mo-capping a CGI Darkseid, they can put whoever the hell they want in the suit and dub Ironside's voice over it, but that would mean paying two actors instead of one, and Hollywood will go with a worse voice that can wear the suit before they spend extra for just the voice.

Deamonbane

Unless it's Vin Diesel. They will pay him loads for saying two lines (I and We and are and am and Groot), while hiring somebody to do the suiting...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

SapphireStar

Or, like Darth Maul in The Phantom Menance. Ray Park played the physical role, but they had someone else dub his voice. Disney has in the past for their animated movies use two voices. If the person doing the speaking role for the main character, but can't sing, they have hired someone else to do the singing. Like in Mulan, B.D. Wong did the speaking role, while Donny Osmond provided the singing voice for the same character.

The same would be applied to Doomsday. They could have someone do the motion capture work while hiring someone to provide the voice, like Ron Perlman or Clancy Brown.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, so there is enough precedent that I could be wrong. Good enough, and I can remain hopeful then.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 05, 2015, 02:17:36 PM
Or, like Darth Maul in The Phantom Menance. Ray Park played the physical role, but they had someone else dub his voice. Disney has in the past for their animated movies use two voices. If the person doing the speaking role for the main character, but can't sing, they have hired someone else to do the singing. Like in Mulan, B.D. Wong did the speaking role, while Donny Osmond provided the singing voice for the same character.

The same would be applied to Doomsday. They could have someone do the motion capture work while hiring someone to provide the voice, like Ron Perlman or Clancy Brown.

Clancy Brown as Doomsday enough said. If anyone seen Highlander they know he can make an awesome villian

SapphireStar

He is awesome! Currently, he's playing General Wade Elling on the Flash  :-) Was the voice of Lex Luthor in the Justice League animated show. He would be at the top of the wish list for Doomsday's voice.

Carrie-Ann Moss was just added to the cast of aka Jessica Jones. IMDB is listing a page for The Defenders featuring Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. And, some of them are rumored to be showing up in Captain America: Civil War.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 05, 2015, 05:36:58 PM
He is awesome! Currently, he's playing General Wade Elling on the Flash  :-) Was the voice of Lex Luthor in the Justice League animated show. He would be at the top of the wish list for Doomsday's voice.

Carrie-Ann Moss was just added to the cast for aka Jessica Jones. IMDB is listing a page for The Defenders featuring Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. And, some of them are rumored to be showing up in Captain America: Civil War.

I heard about Carrie-Ann Moss (speculated to be playing Spider-Woman, aka Jessica Drew; don't know if that's allowed, since that blurs the line of Sony's monopoly over Spider-Man's universe). Also Chiwetel Elijiofor is rumored to be talking about playing Brother Voodoo in Doctor Strange, as a villain. That's just what we need, after all the complaints about the Marvelverse being all white-faced, to have a white hero taking on a black villain.

CaptainNexus616

The whole blur line thing is beginning to confuse me as well. So they can have Spider-Woman while Sony has Spider-Man. Avengers can have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch while Fox put a Quicksilver in their own X-Men movies. Its getting really confusing and I'm guessing their is a lot of fine print involved but hey what do I know? I am not some movie executive lol.

Though Carrie-Ann Moss for Jessica Jones? Sorry I am a bit iffy since I haven't really seen her since the Matrix and even then I really didn't care for her much in that.

*Reads Wikipedia quick while typing to find out who is playing Luke Cage while also stumbling upon Jessica Jones actress.*

It seems that Krysten Ritter is the official casting and I think she looks the part better. (She was Jesse's girlfriend that Walt allowed to die in Breaking Bad)

I am somewhat disappointed they didn't get Terry Crews to be Luke Cage.

SapphireStar

It would depend which Spider-Woman she might be playing. Jessica Drew was more affliated with the Avengers, plus working for Hydra. So, she could potentially fight into the plot line with Hydra. There is also Julia Carpenter who was another Spider-Woman. Another possibility, Carrie-Ann Moss could be playing Madame Web.

Marvel has added an Inhuman character to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. played by Luke Mitchell. It was stated that the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's origins would be changed for Age of Ultron. Their origins would differ from that of the Quicksilver from the X-men movie.

CaptainNexus616

This isn't Spider-Woman though this is Jessica Jones. A completely different character in the Marvel Universe and wife to Luke Cage. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Jones

Mathim

Yeah, there's Jessica Jones, formerly Jewel, formerly Knightress, now just a private detective, and there's Jessica Drew, the Spider-Woman. Same first name, vastly different characters. They teamed up in the comics to rescue yet another Spider-Girl, Mattie Franklin. Don't know if that's how the show is going to go. I sincerely disliked the whole Jessica Jones story (way more morbid than I'm used to, at least when it concerns female superheroes) so I wish they would have just done a Heroes for Hire show that would focus on Iron Fist and Luke Cage/Power Man and had the others, like Daredevil, just be cameos or recurring (like Punisher, too).

Beorning

Although it's worth remembering that (AFAIK) Bendis created Jessica Jones for Alias, as he wasn't allowed to use Jessica Drew for it...

BTW. Regarding the question of how come that Marvel can use Spider-Woman when Sony has the rights for Spider-Man: you know, I'm not really sure if any reasonably-understood Spider-Man franchise would actually include Spider-Woman? The thing about the original Spider-Woman is that she really isn't tied to Spider-Man in any way. She's a separate character with a spider motif, not a real spin-off. Jessica has much more ties to SHIELD, X-Men and (these days) the Avengers, than to Spider-Man.

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on February 06, 2015, 06:49:43 PM
Although it's worth remembering that (AFAIK) Bendis created Jessica Jones for Alias, as he wasn't allowed to use Jessica Drew for it...

BTW. Regarding the question of how come that Marvel can use Spider-Woman when Sony has the rights for Spider-Man: you know, I'm not really sure if any reasonably-understood Spider-Man franchise would actually include Spider-Woman? The thing about the original Spider-Woman is that she really isn't tied to Spider-Man in any way. She's a separate character with a spider motif, not a real spin-off. Jessica has much more ties to SHIELD, X-Men and (these days) the Avengers, than to Spider-Man.

Yeah, I'd heard that Sony doesn't own her film rights, but you can't be too sure about hearsay like that. It would be just like them to want to do everything they could to keep Marvel from making the most of its own properties.

TheGlyphstone

And it might not stop them from trying to block a Spiderwoman even if they don't own the rights, BSing some sort of excuse in court about, I dunno, potential for conflict with their existing Spider-Man franchise rights by causing needless confusion amongst the moviegoing public, as if Marvel would deliberately make a terrible Spider-Woman movie just to hurt Sony's profits from Spider-Man. Because Hollywood executives think the general public is as clueless and out of touch as they are...and sadly, they're not entirely wrong. Most non-comic fans will see Spider-Woman and assume it is just 'Spiderman with boobies'.

SapphireStar

Also, Jessica Drew has affliations with Hydra. Apparently she is/was an agent of theirs. They've also added Hellcat/Patricia "Trish" Walker to the cast of Jessica Jones played by Rebecca Taylor. Spider-man seems to be up in the air now as the Sony exec stepped down. They had been in negotiations to hand over Spider-man so he could be in the Avengers, but talks broke down.

It looks like Captain Marvel featuring Carol Danvers is going ahead in place of a Black Widow movie. My pick for possible casting for Carol Danvers would be Yvonne Strahovski (sp?) who played Sarah Walker on Chuck.   

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on February 06, 2015, 08:07:08 PM
Also, Jessica Drew has affliations with Hydra. Apparently she is/was an agent of theirs. They've also added Hellcat/Patricia "Trish" Walker to the cast of Jessica Jones played by Rebecca Taylor. Spider-man seems to be up in the air now as the Sony exec stepped down. They had been in negotiations to hand over Spider-man so he could be in the Avengers, but talks broke down.

It looks like Captain Marvel featuring Carol Danvers is going ahead in place of a Black Widow movie. My pick for possible casting for Carol Danvers would be Yvonne Strahovski (sp?) who played Sarah Walker on Chuck.

I'm not partial to blondes but I wouldn't mind seeing Olivia Wilde bleach it up for that if we're talking about casting for Captain Marvel. Can you guys imagine a post-credits scene in the Avengers 2 where Cap is assembling his faction for the Civil War, and he's like, "All right, folks, I've been putting out some feelers to expand the Avengers roster and now more than ever, it looks like I'm going to need your support since the original team is now splintered." And then when Captain Marvel drops in, he says, "Captain." And she says, "Captain." right back. It wouldn't be quite as funny because of the "Mr. Spock" thing from Into Darkness already doing that, but it would be neat, I think.

Mathim

What's with all this stuff I'm hearing on youtube about Andrew Garfield being fired by Sony? I mean, the guy's about the worst choice they could have made for Peter Parker, but Sony can't possibly think it would be a good idea to change gears right before their third outing?

And then there's this rumor about Sony compromising with Disney about letting Spidey be a part of the MCU. What the hell is going on here? Are corporations that don't know jack actually making GOOD decisions, whether by accident or whatever?

SapphireStar

Looks like Spider-Man will be appearing in an Avengers movie soon. Deal has been reached to integrate characters from the MCU with the Spider-man movies. There had been talk of Spidey appearing in Captain America: Civil War.