Notification Email Lag Time

Started by Karma, August 06, 2013, 10:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sometimes it's minutes, but sometimes it's hours and they come out of order. It's not a big deal since I check my bookmarks pretty frequently anyway, but it's been going on for the past couple days.

Vekseid

Some mails are put into a queue rather than immediately sent, by the forum software itself, and then again by the mailserver software, which handles thousands of e-mails during some hours, and then again by your mail host.

Make sure webmaster@elliquiy.com is in your whitelist/contacts, though this will probably only make a real difference when I implement DMARC for the domain.

It's only notable to me because they've been so snappy over the years.

Beguile's Mistress

What has been occurring are gaps in notifications sometimes longer than an hour and while some are sent through after that others aren't; PM notifications most notably.

Yep, that sounds the same as what I'm getting.

Oniya

Saw a public service message from Veks about an issue with Google (probably caused by someone flagging notification emails as spam). 

It should eventually get sorted out, but making sure that elliquiy.com is on your white-list is always a good thing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

I get every email, just often hours later. They're never in spam.

Oniya

*nods*  Likewise.  But because of what someone else did, (possibly several someones, more than likely on the newish side) Google has flagged stuff from Elliquiy as 'potentially spam'.  If you use Gmail, this is probably what's affecting your delivery time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Oniya

Checked the process on my own account - bring up one of the notification messages, and on the right side you should see 'webmaster' above the actual email that the notifications are sent from.  There's a little down arrow under that for 'more actions'.   Set it to 'Always show' (the default is 'Auto').

Beguile's Mistress

That would block all email from Elliquiy all the time until the watch is lifted.

Now I get spurts of email notifications with long lags between and many notifications missing.  There are periods where the system works fine and a PM notification is sent right away.  I still don't have notifications for emails I received between 2:00 am and 5:00 am Eastern Time.  I have this thread on notify and haven't received any for posts #5 on down. 

EDIT:  Haven't received anything since 10:01 am.

I added it, so I guess I'll wait and see.

Beguile's Mistress

After a string of notifications at 10:47 I got #8 from this thread and nothing from #5 on down and still missing the emails sent overnight.

Vekseid

Alright, getting help from Google isn't easy

Go here, please

1) Make a simple, straightforward report, follow the instructions.
2) Do not make more than one report.

Obviously, this only applies if using a gmail address... it seems unusual though that they'd suddenly complain after so many years, it feels buggy.

Oreo

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Beguile's Mistress

I've done my bit.  Sorry for being a pain.

AmberStarfire

I've only had PM notifications and haven't missed any (as far as I'm aware) but they've been slow to arrive. Some really slow.

Should we still fill in a report if we're still getting the message and they're not sent to our spam folders?

flubber

I think that it's a problem in general with gmail as I have been having problems like this with Gmail for a long time.  I went to moving any messages that are in spam in to the inbox. Then I move them to one of my folders. It's a scut but at least I know where everything is and I can make sure that I can keep them. Also, I tend to find that if I move stuff from spam to the inbox it often stays in the inbox the next time I get a message.
I am anybody's for a hug and a cup of tea. If you give me a plate of buscuits I'll love you forever!

Vekseid

Quote from: flubber on August 07, 2013, 02:32:54 PM
I think that it's a problem in general with gmail as I have been having problems like this with Gmail for a long time.  I went to moving any messages that are in spam in to the inbox. Then I move them to one of my folders. It's a scut but at least I know where everything is and I can make sure that I can keep them. Also, I tend to find that if I move stuff from spam to the inbox it often stays in the inbox the next time I get a message.

It does help if you add webmaster@elliquiy.com to your contact list.

In addition, you can setup a filter for @elliquiy.com mails, which should guarantee it skips spam.

Quote from: AmberStarfire on August 07, 2013, 01:50:38 PM
I've only had PM notifications and haven't missed any (as far as I'm aware) but they've been slow to arrive. Some really slow.

Should we still fill in a report if we're still getting the message and they're not sent to our spam folders?

Pretty sure I've seen yours getting deferred, also : /

I'm going to be moving the mailserver early so that I can get a better grip on this and get some of the staff to help me manage the abuse/webmaster stuff... as a single human being I simply cannot handle the volume with what Elliquiy puts out.

AmberStarfire

Ah okay. In that case a report might be in order.

Moraline

Whatever it is, you should be free and clear. Not sure why google is spazzing out. Most providers use cross referencing with other blacklists for throttling mail reports.

As of right now according to http://mxtoolbox.com

Checking elliquiy.com against 109 known blacklists...
Listed 0 times with 7 timeouts
((ignore the timeouts)

This is the only issue that I see:
SMTP Reverse DNS Resolution || Reverse DNS FAILED!
~ http://community.mxtoolbox.com/blog/what-does-the-warning-reverse-dns-failed-mean-smtp-diagnostic-tool/

Don't you have a PTR record? Failing a reverse lookup might put you on auto throttle or total failure with some spam filters.

Vekseid

...no one would be getting any meaningful amount of mail if we didn't have fcrdns working. Our mx is actually trancephalon.com (what I run Elliquiy proper under), but elliquiy.com also has fcrdns... are you sure you didn't typo or something?

steelsmiter

I'm ok with my 6 hour lag but I hope that it doesn't just stop sending them...
I don't play in PMs
Who wants to join an incest registry?
O/Os
Download RPGs I wrote on my Discord!
So anyway I guess I'm steelsmiter on fetlife now. Hit me up and tell me you're from E!

Vekseid

Well if deferrals pass four days then they'll get removed from the queue.

Vekseid

Oh.

ptr:174.34.164.130   

Error

Lookup failed after 12 name servers timed out or responded non-authoritatively

mxtoolbox has apparently gone full stupid. Happens.

Regardless, I set up ptr records for most of my ips, as a rule.