Interest Check: Magical Duelists

Started by Sabby, March 16, 2008, 11:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

A great arena where people from every corner of the world converge to, seeking fame and challenge as Duelists. The Duelists are a unique and interesting type of warrior, the better battles often lasting for days. In the arena, the two Duelists will enter, and assume their positions in small circles on the ground. They cannot leave this circle, or they will lose.

Supplied for them in this collosul arena, is a small forest, a lake and stream, a craggy, dried desert, rocky alcoves and cliffs, natural drafts, flaming torches stone pillars connecting to the ethereal planes, everything a magic user could want to summon the elements on their own.

Great, subtle and cunning battles are waged to force the opponent to leave their circle. The terrain can be shifted, fire and wind set upon the enemy, barricades built, areas flooded, creatures from other realms summoned and tethered to do the Duelists bidding, attacking the enemy or defending their summoners from danger.

These fights can be won by out muscling the opponent, but a skilled and cunning Duelist will not be toppled by sheer ferocity. It takes creativity, tactics and patience. The longest battle was fought for seventeen days, and eventually ended in a draw.

Players are welcome to create any kind of silly, over the top anime character they like :) and yes, catgirls/boys are welcome. A backstory and a reason for traveling here to Duel, plus a description of your weaknessess and strengths would be appreciated.

AKunoichi

Ok I'm thinking my character could be like Oscar wilde only with magic and not gay.

Sabby

Who's Oscar Wilde? *awaits the gasps*

AKunoichi

Quote from: Sabbat on March 16, 2008, 12:28:57 PM
Who's Oscar Wilde? *awaits the gasps*

A flamboyant homosexual (Some say Bisexual) Irish playwright with a rapier whit. Famous for such memorable quotes as "The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about." and "Genius is born--not paid."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Wilde
http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Oscar_Wilde/

Sabby

Jeramiahh

Huh... sounds similar to an idea I tossed about a while ago, based on the Magic: The Gathering card game. I might be up for it, when I return from break.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Xillen

So you have players facing each other? Will there be any kind of rule to determine the outcome? Else it's just going to be whoever is holding back the least...

Sabby

It can be one on one or in special circumstances two on two, but each time, the win condition is to remain in your circle and force the enemy from theirs. If I somehow flooded your area and you didn't come up with a way to counter it, washing you out of the circle would win the match for me. However, you could easily raise the ground up and out of the water, saving yourself.

You can manipulate the terrain around your circle, but not the circle itself, and only vertically. I could raise your circle up into a pillar and send flying monsters to its base to destroy it. How you combat that is completely up to you. Summon monsters to fight off the sabotagers, blow them out of the sky, or take a chance and let them destroy the pillar, and try to land your circle safely.

Sabby

Update: The fights will be decided through votes. When a fight has drawn on enough, we'll call a vote from the players in an OOC thread, and people can vote for who they think should win, and once thats in stone, the two are just going to have to colaborate towards that.

AKunoichi

Quote from: Sabbat on March 17, 2008, 07:11:22 AM
It can be one on one or in special circumstances two on two, but each time, the win condition is to remain in your circle and force the enemy from theirs. If I somehow flooded your area and you didn't come up with a way to counter it, washing you out of the circle would win the match for me. However, you could easily raise the ground up and out of the water, saving yourself.

You can manipulate the terrain around your circle, but not the circle itself, and only vertically. I could raise your circle up into a pillar and send flying monsters to its base to destroy it. How you combat that is completely up to you. Summon monsters to fight off the sabotagers, blow them out of the sky, or take a chance and let them destroy the pillar, and try to land your circle safely.

Wouldn't it be better to run it till the enimy is surrendered/unconscious?

Sabby

The actual fight is won by knocking the opponent out of their circle. But since its freeform, that would always resolve in someone willingly throwing the fight. So having an OOC vote near the end can decide who should win, and the fight will continue onward.