What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. This is it. This is the one. Finally there has come a game that has actually scared the shit out of me. Dead Space, Fear, Cthulhu, all those other 'horror' games didn't even make me blink, but no, this, THIS, is what does it.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5225/5584303404_4c8ac0b1f2.jpg

Do you know how fucking hard it was for me to Google Image that shit?! D=

Inkidu

Bwah... look at the cute little tarantula. He just wants a hug, Sabby. :D

The guys in Power Ranger costumes kind of detract from the horror though.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

There are dozens of them and they like to leap and land on you. First time it happened I looked up and saw this massive wolf spider falling towards me like a skydiver and choked on my own squeal. The mech didn't move fast enough, so I ditched.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 27, 2011, 02:00:35 PM
There are dozens of them and they like to leap and land on you. First time it happened I looked up and saw this massive wolf spider falling towards me like a skydiver and choked on my own squeal. The mech didn't move fast enough, so I ditched.
I'm laughing so hard after reading that. Because I can just see it. I can almost hear the squeal too. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on August 26, 2011, 09:28:34 PM
Oh, I know Shepherd was unique, I'm not that silly and forgetful xD just saying, the technology to, if not fix, treat this disease has to exist, its not a matter of the guy not being able to get the treatment.

I think you've got a simplistic view of medicine and disease. There may well be a treatment without a cure. Just like in the real world. There are things that, even with seemingly all the technology in the world, you might not be able to cure. It might be impossible. Or at least close enough to impossible that it's not something anyone could ever be expected to do. Or maybe there is one, and we'll see it in ME3.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on August 27, 2011, 02:09:54 PM
I'm laughing so hard after reading that. Because I can just see it. I can almost hear the squeal too. :D

I know what I'm getting my roommate for Christmas... >:)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Wolf Spider suddenly jumps in front of me.

Ahhh! OMG OMG! RUN! FUCK! This mech doesn't run fast enough! D=

Bail out of mech, rush away in Jetpack, Spiders landing in front of and around me, squeak and zigzag, freaking out.

FUCK! This jetpack isn't fast enough!! D=

Smack into invisible wall.

FUUUUUUUU!!

Inkidu

I'm literally laughing out loud at your bug exterminating ventures. I've got to get this game when it goes on the cheap.

Sabby

Was in a slums level, so a big pit really. With a raised section in the middle, not very big, enough to run around on top a little. Spiders jump in. FUCK! SCREW THIS! Jump onto the concrete. Because giant spiders can't climb, right? ...right?

OMG THEY'RE COMING OVER THE WALLS! I see legs coming over the side, I shoot. I'm spinning in a circle unloading my gun. Out of ammo! D= Why does reloading so long?! 10 spiders climb up, I panick and hit the jet pack, slowly rising vertically up and out of the spider pit, while they just sit there watching.

FUCK! BATTERIES DEAD! AHH! GUNS JAMMED! WHY DOES RELOADING REQUIRE BATTERY POWER?! HOW DOES RUNNING OUT OF JETPACK JAM MY GUNS?! I HATE WHOEVER INVENTED MY POWER ARMOR!

Fall into pit. Flailing.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on August 27, 2011, 08:58:42 PM
Was in a slums level, so a big pit really. With a raised section in the middle, not very big, enough to run around on top a little. Spiders jump in. FUCK! SCREW THIS! Jump onto the concrete. Because giant spiders can't climb, right? ...right?

OMG THEY'RE COMING OVER THE WALLS! I see legs coming over the side, I shoot. I'm spinning in a circle unloading my gun. Out of ammo! D= Why does reloading so long?! 10 spiders climb up, I panick and hit the jet pack, slowly rising vertically up and out of the spider pit, while they just sit there watching.

FUCK! BATTERIES DEAD! AHH! GUNS JAMMED! WHY DOES RELOADING REQUIRE BATTERY POWER?! HOW DOES RUNNING OUT OF JETPACK JAM MY GUNS?! I HATE WHOEVER INVENTED MY POWER ARMOR!

Fall into pit. Flailing.
Hey, the giant bug business is new, there are going to be some engineering oversights. :D Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Question though. Why did you get the game if you're scared of bugs?

Sabby

There weren't spiders in the last one v.v

Cortland

Wolfy

Playing Deus Ex. ;D

Stuck on the Second boss, but the game has been amazing so far. <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 27, 2011, 11:16:12 PM
Playing Deus Ex. ;D

Stuck on the Second boss, but the game has been amazing so far. <3
It really helps to have the EMP/Electric shielding on that one. Also, mines. EMP or frag work fine.

I'm playing Rise of Legends, and it's pissing me off. >_<; That's it it's easy-mode time!

Hemingway

Man, DXHR is so much like Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Right down to how it gets a little too easy once you get the hang of it. Maybe I should turn up the difficulty ... TO 11!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on August 28, 2011, 05:40:45 PM
Man, DXHR is so much like Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Right down to how it gets a little too easy once you get the hang of it. Maybe I should turn up the difficulty ... TO 11!
Well, that's kind of how it's supposed to be, but seriously, I thought the difficulty stayed pretty even all the way through.

It only got really hard when it came to saving that special someone.

Geeklet

Eh, I wouldn't exactly say its too easy. Then again, I'm also going quasi-stealth without the invisibility upgrade (though, are the other stealth related upgrades even worth it? (being able to see an enemies cone of vision, where they last saw you, etc) Probably the biggest thing thats helped me though, once I got my hacking skill up, I almost always keep a couple extra praxis points free so I can upgrade something on the fly if need be, and I only upgrade stuff I want (especially since there is getting to be less and less that I feel I need) when I have a large excess.

For Example: 2nd Boss Fight
I was having a really tough time. Using the power generators to stun her did a number on me as well, and trying to avoid her charge and still fire at her proved to be harder in practice than in theory. So eventually I'm like, you know what? If she wants to get so close to me, why don't I try out that Typhoon upgrade, since I got some spare ammo for it. Hit her once with it, unloaded with the heavy rifle, hit her again once she came out of it, and unloaded with the rifle a second time, and she was done for.

Wolfy

Now I'm stuck on the third boss, because:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Herp Derp I got the biochip upgrade, so I'm fucked out of using my augmentations. Which means I have to fight like a weak, pathetic little human. >_<

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on August 28, 2011, 08:41:58 PM
Now I'm stuck on the third boss, because:

Herp Derp I got the biochip upgrade, so I'm fucked out of using my augmentations. Which means I have to fight like a weak, pathetic little human. >_<
Okay if you've got frag mines use them. Frag grenades use them. I did what you did and I was like "FUUUU"

more info
I did the same thing you did (herp-a-freaking-derp indeed). However, you should be able to lead him around the outer ring pretty easily. Just pop from cover and unload or plant mines as your running to the next cover. He should follow you like a moron. Remember that he casts a shadow even when cloaked and he likes to stay in corners or near the statues. Still, he should always remain at your tail if you keep running around.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on August 28, 2011, 07:34:53 PM
Well, that's kind of how it's supposed to be, but seriously, I thought the difficulty stayed pretty even all the way through.

It only got really hard when it came to saving that special someone.

I arrived there armed to the teeth. With a single Stun Gun Dart, a single PEPS energy pack and a handful of tranquilizer darts.

Something strange has happened, possibly due to that scene. I haven't finished the game yet, but I want to start over. And turn the difficulty up. And not go exclusively non-lethal. It feels a bit strange. I mean, in a lot of games, indiscriminately killing anyone when you could just incapacitate them feels a bit wrong. Sometimes they're just security guards in the wrong place at the wrong time, you know? But most of the enemies in this game are hardened mercenaries out for your blood. And they murder your people in the beginning!

Speaking of which.

Quite early in the game it's revealed that the bodies in the Sarif building were burned beyond recognition. Could they have made it any more obvious the team was still alive? How could Adam not make the connection right away?

I actually have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with the story. I have to be honest. It's not bad, by any means. But it's nothing exceptional, like the original Deus Ex was. It just seems too straightforward to me. I haven't finished the game, but I have a feeling I'm nearing the end. The original Deus Ex had a massive twist right in the middle. There's nothing like that here. So far I've been able to see everything coming from miles away, and nothing has really surprised me. The Picus offices were a definite high point, but even that was predictable.

Frost

i just had a bash on Minecraft and I am totally confused on what it is about lol, do you just build things and thats it? i played the free part

Sabby

Quote from: Frost on August 29, 2011, 04:53:29 PM
i just had a bash on Minecraft and I am totally confused on what it is about lol, do you just build things and thats it? i played the free part

You'd think so, but no. You just play the game, film yourself playing it and talking about what your doing, then post it on Youtube.

Weebl and Bob : Piecraft

Cortland

Their definition of 'Meta' really kind of hurt me. Physically.

Sabby

I don't know what it means, and people who use it generally don't either xD

Hemingway

I just beat DXHR. In general, it's a great game. Gameplay-wise, it's nearly perfect. The worst part of the game, and I have to say I'm surprised I'm even saying this, is the story. Like I said before, the story isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination. But it's hardly groundbreaking. It's exactly what I would've pieced together if I were trying to make a story about global conspiracies, power, corporations, and so on. Except I probably would've thrown in a few more betrayals and more of that X-Files tagline, trust no one. A few specifics:

The most disappointing thing for me, I think, were the roles of David Sarif and Megan Reed. Sarif is a completely flat character, and despite everything he was ... more or less trustworthy. I don't get why they did that. Reed is just absent for most of the game, and the rescue is such an anti-climax. Considering you've spent the entire game trying to save her, she certainly left in a hurry. Considering the last thing she said before being taken was something like "there's something I-", I certainly got the feeling a lot was left unresolved. I assume she was about to tell him that, hey, it's your DNA that made my research possible, but ... come on, give me something.

And about that DNA thing. About White Helix Labs, the leads, Adam's parents... that didn't go anywhere. Yes, he was born in a lab ... or at least he was being experimented on, but the whole story arc just seems to die out. Maybe there's more, buried in the emails and ebooks, but ... I mean, I got the achievement for digging up the past, so I think I got the most important bits.

The endings ... well, I've seen two of them. As far as I can tell, they're all more or less downer endings, and I have no clue which one is supposed to be the canonical one leading up to DX. I'd assume Taggart's ending ... or the destruction of the facility ... not that I think it'd make much of a difference. I just got a feeling they exaggerate the effects it would actually have. Darrow's ending made no sense. Why would people cast aside technology because they find out it can be abused? I think that one completely misunderstands human nature.