News:

Main Menu

Too Human Demo

Started by Sabby, July 23, 2008, 03:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I've heard of this, and seen videos before, but it didn't look too fun or exciting... Right now, Microsoft really needs gold. Halo's over, Mass Effect 2 is ages away, Rare ain't doing anything note worthy and theres not many big titles coming out, let alone trilogies. I downloaded the demo of this and I'm way impressed.

The story sounds interesting, though I get the feeling the demo is set in some early level and not the start. A lot of mixings of Norse mythology and futuristic sci fi. I really loved how when a squadmate dies a cyborg angel swoops down to take them to Valhalla. To sum it, it feels like World Of Warcraft. In a single player Campaigne. In space.

Billy Pilgrim

Too Human is a game that has been in development hell since the start of the first playstation era. I'm glad that they finally managed to get a demo out, and I can only imagine how much thought went into it.

Sabby

Well, I'll be playing it a bit more, as I came across an interesting little glitch :) the Demo restricts you to the Champion class, which is a fairly balanced class. There are four that are locked, but a simple tweak can open up all five classes. I won't discuss it here, but its freely available on Youtube if you need instructions.

magnamos

I bought Too Human along with my XBox360 last saturday (woooot >_< ) and I'm hooked. It's totally awesome! If you like nordic mythology you will love Too Human. I never found a Game that turned a medieval setting into a futuristic setting while mainting the COMPLETE plot from the Mythology!
For now I'm stuck in Jörmungand since the difficult scales a little too fast for my class ( Shootist, no HP but unlike the char description his distance damage isn't that hughe neither). I think that there will be some accident or something that will kill Thor inside Jörmungand.
It's actually just another Hack 'n Slay but the Story is awesome and it has something to it that just keeps you going.

Sabby

Quote from: magnamos on October 16, 2008, 01:53:22 AMthe Story is awesome and it has something to it that just keeps you going.

Dudes in big ass armor trying to figure out why robots eat people XD

I'm being hypocritical here (is a Halo fanatic)

magnamos

The Robot that eats people, it's actually Grendel, is slayn in the played Intro already. There are many very creative way how to explain what Grendel did. One was (as stated by Baldur, the player character) "I saw him ripping off a man's head and drinking his blood!". If you take a closer look at that machine *quickly hides the blueprints*, you will note that he actually can't eat. He has just a hughe drill head in his mouth and some powerfull grinders in his chest. You can be sure that Grendel is one of your smaller Problems though. The worst thing I met so far are the Dark Elfs. They even got Drider and those hurt. When I fought my way through Jörmungand I was more dead than alive. Dark Elfs are Teamplayers. Most of them spread a massive barrage while one or two assault you directly. Sometimes they got a sniper with them. I haven't figured out how to avoid it yet. Luckily I'm through now and the worst things that I met in Helheim so far are some sort of fat, floating Necromancer that can cure and rez fallen Undead again. He can even rez your comerades to fight against you.

I can only recommend it again. If you get the opportunity to get it cheap, do it! It's really hard (I play the class with the least HP) but it's totally worth it.

Inkidu

I heard it didn't live up to they hype but, then again, no game hyped ever does... I'm so behind on the video games I need to play. I still need to get Mario Kart Wii vroooom!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Canuckian

No, it didn't live up to the hype.  It was a linear dungeon crawler that had aspirations of being more.  The RPG elements are nice, but didn't quite have the impact on the game as I had hoped.  I guess I've just been spoiled by BioWare and their mulitple endings based on in-game choices.

Too Human, on the other hand, had outstanding art direction and an amazing backstory that just begs for a tie-in novel or a Mass Effect-esque Codex.  I really want to know more about the world that game presents.  So I will be buying TH2, just as I'll be buying ME2.

Inkidu

Quote from: Canuckian on October 19, 2008, 01:14:53 PM
No, it didn't live up to the hype.  It was a linear dungeon crawler that had aspirations of being more.  The RPG elements are nice, but didn't quite have the impact on the game as I had hoped.  I guess I've just been spoiled by BioWare and their mulitple endings based on in-game choices.

Too Human, on the other hand, had outstanding art direction and an amazing backstory that just begs for a tie-in novel or a Mass Effect-esque Codex.  I really want to know more about the world that game presents.  So I will be buying TH2, just as I'll be buying ME2.
I've got enough liner, science fiction dungeon crawlers at the moment. Oh well I really want Dead Space. Twinkle, twinkle little star...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

magnamos

Yeah, I was kinda pissed by the Ending in Too Human aswell. Maybe it wasn't possible to make it a different way based on the second part of Too Human. I don't know. I hate games that keep you bound for quiet a time just to leave the end open. Now we must wait for at least one year until we know how it will continue.

Another thing I noticed is that the story was quiet tigtly bound to nordic religions, mythology and legends and all of a sudden it all blew away and came down to a cheesy sci-fi plot. It was almost like they had to stuff the rest somehow into this release. For example. I expected Thor to die in Jörmungand. Thor destroys Jörmungand but dies shortly after the fight. I really liked it when Tyr took out Garm by blowing himself up in his mouth. I would have loved to see Modgudr, the giant who guards the entrance to Hel's realm as a Boss to fight. I do like her design though. According to mythology half of her skin is dark and decayed while her other half is healthy. Hel in Too Human had half her skin removed and replaced by wires, pipes and metal plates. Since Fenris and Jörmungand are her brothers I expect Jörmungand to be the main enemy in Too Human 2 and Fenris (+Loki?) the main enemy in Too Human 3.

If I'm right I guess that Thor will be killed in Too Human 2 in the end fight with Jörmungand. Thor manages to take Jörmungand out but dies in the process.

I expect Vidar and Vali to apear in Too Human 3. Maybe even the main character will change from Baldur too Vidar to kill Fenris. That would be awesome :D