Hogwarts: More Than Magical (Full)

Started by kckolbe, April 18, 2013, 02:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesSureWould

I've always wanted to try and play a writer of some sort. Somebody who goes off exploring not because "The fate of the world rests in the balance" but because "This would make a killer story". Probably a bit loud,  but like able enough.

I should probably get a name...
Cameron Joyce sounds good

and as for lineage..
let's say that his dad's a wizard of a long running magical bloodline and his mom's a muggle.
He's got 3 siblings, two older brothers and a younger sister

TheHangedOne

Alright, so here is Gustav's numbers. Pretty sure I got it all right. And yep, he's supposed to have two qualities and no destiny points to burn (at the beginning, anyway).

Agility: 2
Athletics: 2 - Strength 1B
Awareness: 4 - Notice 1B
Cunning: 4
Deception: 3 - Bluff 2B
Endurance: 3 - Stamina 1B
Fighting: 2
Magical Expertise: 4 - Curses 1B
Magical Projection: 4 - Curses 1B
Marksmanship: 2
Persuasion: 2
Reflexes: 2 Quickness 1B
Stealth: 2
Will: 3

Classes

Major: Ancient Runes, Arithmancy: 3
Minor: Potions, Herbology, History of Magic: 2
Others:Astronomy, Muggle Studies, Care of Magical Creatures, Divination: 2

Qualities:
Keen Senses
Treacherous

Edit: By the way, "Animal Handling" is mentioned under the "Animal Cohort" quality, but is not mentioned as a skill.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Meliai

Got a couple questions before I can hammer out the stats portion of my sheet:

Any reason Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts aren't on the class list? DAtDA is mentioned in the history post, so I assume they're still being taught, I just wasn't sure if them being missing was an oversight or if there's some reason we can't rank them on our schedule. Are the Specialties for Charms and Transfiguration acting in place of the classes?

The "animal cohort" Quality sounds like it's a more substantial ally than your standard pet, are students still allowed to have a cat/owl/toad without it?

You mention the Animal Handling ability at the top of the first post in the system thread, but it isn't in the actual list of abilities. [edit] Actually it seems Animal Handling, Knowledge, and Magical Studies are on your and Ms. Jane's example sheets, but aren't listed in the system thread.[/edit]
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

kckolbe

Yeah, I think I ditched the clown for this avi about a year ago. 

James, what kind of writing do you think your char would do?  I imagine you picture him as a higher year student?

Hanged, looks all right, but spent 1 too many points on abilities.  I fixed Animal Cohort, by the way.  Sorry bout that.

Transfiguration, Charms, and Defense Against the Dark Arts are still taught, but are covered by the Magical Expertise ability, with the specialties of Transfiguration, Charms, and Curses.  The majors, minors, and others do not have to correlate to which classes the character is actually taking. 

Animal cohort is meant to replace the standard familiar. 

I fixed the example sheet and removed the animal handling references.  Thanks for the catches.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Dropped Reflexes from 3 to 2, so it should add up nicely now.

In unrelated news, I'm glad to see so much interest show up in the game.
Check out my poet tree!

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TheHangedOne

And here is Edgar Crowley, the Animagus animal-whisperer.

Agility: 2 
Athletics: 3
Awareness: 3
Cunning: 2
Deception: 2
Endurance: 4 - Fortitude 1B, Stamina 1B
Fighting: 4 - Unarmed 1B
Magical Expertise: 3 - Transfiguration 1B
Magical Projection: 2
Persuasion: 2
Reflexes: 3
Stealth: 2
Will: 4 - Discipline 1B, Dedication 1B

Classes

Major: Care of Magical Creatures, Herbology: 3
Minor: Potions, Divination, Muggle Studies: 2
Others:History of Magic, Astronomy, Ancient Runes, Arithmancy: 2

Qualities:
Animal Cohort (Memento Mori, half-lynx, half-kneazle)
Animagus (Lynx)
Unarmed Combat I

Drawbacks:
Insubordinate
Check out my poet tree!

Meliai

Quote from: kckolbe on April 19, 2013, 09:12:35 AMAnimal cohort is meant to replace the standard familiar.

Sorry, tricky wording, could you clarify what you mean by replace? Because I could either read that as it replaces the familiar option entirely, meaning you can't have a pet unless you take the animal cohort quality, or that taking the animal cohort quality replaces any regular familiar with something fancier.

Can you give an example of where one would roll Magical Expertise vs Magical Projection and what having, for example, a transfiguration specialty in one or the other would do? When I first read those abilities I assumed they were similar to a D&D attack roll(expertise) and damage roll(projection) but since Wands and Rays are listed as specialties under Fighting and Marksmanship that seems redundant.

Will we be earning some equivalent to XP that will let us upgrade our abilities or purchase additional specialties as the game progresses?

Sorry if the questions are bothersome, I tend to overthink things.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Muse

KC, what kinds of erotic things do you hope will happen in this story? 

I'm mulling over character concepts. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

JamesSureWould

probably "historical fiction" or "exaggerated fiction". Things that did happen, but maybe they just need a bit of spice to them.

And yeah, I was thinking older year.

kckolbe

Sorry, that was ambiguous.  All students are authorized one familiar.  With the Animal Cohort quality, said familiar is going to be above average, and can be an animal slightly outside the norm.  Fang would be a good example of an Animal Cohort for a teacher, and Crookshanks for a student.

Quote from: Meliai on April 19, 2013, 11:40:35 AM
Can you give an example of where one would roll Magical Expertise vs Magical Projection and what having, for example, a transfiguration specialty in one or the other would do? When I first read those abilities I assumed they were similar to a D&D attack roll(expertise) and damage roll(projection) but since Wands and Rays are listed as specialties under Fighting and Marksmanship that seems redundant.

Magical Expertise (ME for short) is used to cast any spell.  Before rolling to hit, you first must roll to cast the spell.  While spell choice is largely for flavor, the difficulty of the spell modifies the damage.  ME is also your ability in Charms, Transfiguration, and DADA.  Hermione would have had the highest ME of the primary Hogwarts students, and Dumbledore among the adults.

Magical Projection (or MP) has two uses as well.  Once you roll to cast (with ME), then roll to hit (with Fighting or Marksmanship), your MP determines base damage.  In addition, if casting a spell for the purpose of the effect (using expelliarmus to disarm someone rather than just do damage) Magical Projection is rolled against the target's passive resistance (more on that later).  Harry and Voldemort were both famous for their high MP.

I'll post more on combat in the rules thread today and other things in general.  I changed magical combat from the last system and have been playtesting it with mock battles.  Magical Expertise is more important than it used to be.

Also, I love questions.  Don't be shy.

Edgar works.  I'd forgotten my own rule about secondary characters.  For those who don't know, secondary characters have 3 less ability points to start with and 2 less points on specialties.  The intent, especially with such a large game, is to ensure players with only one character are more likely to matter and therefore get involved earlier.  I am actually toying with letting players take on other characters as well via an "adoption" system.  For example, James might be interested in having one or more of his siblings attend Hogwarts.  I would approve any NPC requests, and if I feel the character has PC potential, I will give the players the chance to play that character for unnamed rewards (likely extra experience for their secondary characters).

As for sexual elements, I can't say I have any plans.  I am putting this is NC, because there are spells that make NC very easy, and some players might enjoy that.  Admittedly, though, I see almost all sexual content as a side diversion.  Very rarely will main plot points include sexual elements.  Hogwarts does, after all, appeal to the innocent, and I want for players interested in non-adult games to be able to play here freely.  Sexual conduct will have to be somewhat discreet.

Blinkin, you have 1 more point to spend on abilities, but otherwise she is good.

For everyone, though, I am noticing a lack of interest in drawbacks, and am quite surprised by it.

Hanged, I am pleasantly surprised by how quickly folks are turning out and the energy I am seeing from those already here.  Keep it up!  Remember, though, that there is still a long way to go before we start IC posts, and still so many fun (though sometimes tedious things to do).
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

JamesSureWould

Do we get any benifits for drawbacks, or are drawbacks just things we take for flavour? I didn't see anything saying "You get x points for a drawback".

kckolbe

Taking a drawback gives an additional Destiny Point, which may be saved or spent on another Quality.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Hmm, I might have to take a peek at the drawbacks again, then.

By the way, what would the rules at school be about Animagus/Metamorphmagus using their talents? If Edgar wanted to, could he lounge around in a tree as a lynx, for instance?
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

No different than any other spell.  Don't use it to hurt others or cause chaos and life is good.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Insubordinate and Unarmed Combat 1 added to Edgar. By the way, if he's in Lynx form, would he get any sort of bonuses or penalties? For instance, a Lynx's claws are specifically designed for ripping fleshy things apart; they are also amazingly good at assisting in climbing some surfaces, like trees.

Also, is there a way I should stat up Memento Mori?
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Please list qualities and drawbacks separately
Qualities: Animagus, Animal Cohort, Unarmed Combat 1
Drawbacks: Insubordinate

Lynx form does not grant combat bonuses.  While I acknowledge that a lynx could do some damage, a lynx would have a lower endurance as well, so I decided it was easier to just keep abilities the same while in animagus form.  In the end, if you want an animagus form that offers combat bonuses, you would have to take the improved animagus quality I mentioned yesterday (and have not finished writing).

Note that animal form does have other arbitrary bonuses, such as stealth and climbing, just as a bird form could fly.

I think we had stats for Memento already (found them)

Bad Kitty

Agility 4
Athletics 3 Climb 3B, Jump 2B
Awareness 3 Notice 2B, Empathy 1B
Cunning 2
Endurance 2
Fighting 3
Reflexes 4
Stealth 4 Sneak 1B

1 DP

Dmg if in combat alone: 2

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Quote from: kckolbe on April 19, 2013, 02:43:14 PM
Characters only start with 2 Destiny Points.  If you want more, he needs drawbacks.  Right now he has two too many qualities.

Lynx form does not grant bonuses.  While I acknowledge that a lynx could do some damage, a lynx would have a lower endurance as well, so I decided it was easier to just keep abilities the same while in animagus form.  In the end, if you want an animagus form that offers bonuses, you would have to take the improved animagus quality I mentioned yesterday (and have not finished writing).

I think we had stats for Memento already (found them)

Bad Kitty

Agility 4
Athletics 3 Climb 3B, Jump 2B
Awareness 3 Notice 2B, Empathy 1B
Cunning 2
Endurance 2
Fighting 3
Reflexes 4
Stealth 4 Sneak 1B

1 DP

Dmg if in combat alone: 2

Ahh, cool. Props for saving that. I'll use it.

I edited the sheet to set the drawback separate from the qualities.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Yeah, noticed it too late, had just finished editing my post.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Haha. Just noticed it and edited my own.
Check out my poet tree!

Blinkin

Hmmm... I'll add the point someplace... and would a pheonix count as one of those qualty pets? ;)

I didn't see anything to make drawbacks interesting, but as you just explained it, I'll go back and look at them again.... it may result in some minor changes to the character though.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Meliai

Aaaah, thanks KC! That clears up a lot :) You did miss the question about whether or not there's some XP equivalent that will let us raise abilities or purchase more specialties later though.

Had I been making a new character from scratch I probably would have taken a drawback, but none of them seem to click properly with Vidya. If you're open to adding to the list, something like an "Intensely Curious" drawback that incurs a penalty when she resists investigating something or a "Thrillseaker" one that penalizes you for taking a longer but safer route or solution to a problem would be perfect for her.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Blinkin

Name: Darci Donavon
Sex: Female
House: TBA
Wand: 10" black walnut with Phoenix Feather Core; flexable (from her own pet)
Pet: Boomer the Pheonix
Blood Status: Pureblood
Physical Description: Darci, standing just shy of 5’7 is a striking young woman remencent of nose art on WWII bombers. Shapely and curvy in all the right places, her thick, raven curls frames a heart shaped face dominated with large, dark blue eyes under straight, elegant brows in a face that could only be called peaches and cream. Full lips curl in some secret mirth over a chin that suggest stubburness in character. A slender neck flow into a torso with firm C-cup breast before narrowing into a slender waist and flaring out into rounded hips and rear; long, well toned legs complete the image. A natural beauty with an irish lilt.
Personality: Darci is a complicated mixture of devoted friend and vindictive bitch. If you’re a friend, or treat her decently, she’ll bend over backwards and do flips for you; if you’re not or cross her… well, she apparently isn’t above stealing boy-friends, girl-friends or your favorite PJ’s. She can be fun and a little loose when it comes to relationships, but she’s never going to go back on a promise. At the same time, she’s fond of pranks and isn’t above doing whatever it takes to get her way when it’s called for. The best advice she’s ever given anyone is, “Remember the Golden Rule. I’m golden and that’s the rule.”
Background: Darci is the only child of  Sean and Catherine Donavon; potion brewers in a small town just outside of Dublin. While her mother comes from a long line of magical blood, her father was born to muggles and it took a little to get use to life as a wizard… particularly when Darci came along and was already causing some mischief by the age of 3. She never meant to cause those gray hairs, it just seemed to come naturally to her…

At the age of 3, Darci managed to get ahold of her father’s wand and while playing with it in the garden, she turned the pet cat into a purple rabbit, an ant into a very large ant and, before it could be corrected, the front door into a giant slice of pound cake. To this day, no one is sure exactly how she did it, but it was indications of times to come.

When Darci turned 11, and Hogwarts was still closed, her parents took it upon themselves to teach her the things that she would need to know, focusing on what they knew best, potion making and herbology… so she was a natural when she made it to the school and those became her focusesof study. She hadn’t been at the school very long before she discovered boys in a real way and started what would become a string of short, passionate and varied in taste relationships. Between her sweet smile and sincere regrets she has only had 1 such relationship end badly, and that has jaded her slightly in some ways… but she does love the boys.

Agility: 3
Athletics: 2
Awareness: 3 – Notice: 1B
Cunning: 3 – Memory: 1B
Deception: 3 – Bluff: 1B
Endurance: 3 - Resilience: 1B
Fighting: 3 – Wands: 1B
Magical Expertise: 4
Magical Projection: 3
Persuasion: 3 – Seduction: 1B
Reflexes: 3 – Dodge: 1B
Stealth: 3- Sneak: 1B
Will: 3

Classes

Major: Potions, Herbology: 4
Minor: Ancient Runes, Care of Magical Creatures, Arithmancy: 3
Others:History of Magic, Astronomy, Muggle Studies, Devnation: 2

Qualities:
Keen Senses
Animal Cohort (Phoenix named Boomer)

Drawbacks:
Fear (snakes)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

JamesSureWould

Yeah, I'd give Cameron a "thrillseeker"drawback.
right now I'm not sure if any of them fit, I'll give it a deeper look to see though

Meliai

Name:  Vidya Ayers
Nationality: Irish
Pureblood Established family
Year: 4th
House:
Distinguishing Features: A striking girl of mixed Indian and Irish decent, Vidya is stands at a somewhat short five feet, five inches, but seems infused with an energy that makes her presence quite commanding when she wants it to be. Her eyes are a deep brown, and her black hair falls to mid-back in soft waves. Her skin is a light shade of golden brown, and beneath a slightly oversized school sweater she seems to be quite busty.
Personality: To most at Hogwarts, both students and staff, Vidya is a friendly but rather lackadaisical student, not really someone who would stand out in a crowd. At her core, however, Vidya is driven by curiosity and nothing thrills her like exploration. With the extensive repairs and renovations Hogwarts has undergone in the wake of the battle with Voldemort's forces she's taken it upon herself to explore and map the school and grounds, both those areas available to students and, more eagerly, the places she's forbidden from going. She takes the fact that no one has concrete proof of her trespassing as a testament to her skill, and though she's known among certain circles (mostly those who view the rules more as suggestions than anything) as someone who knows her way around a dark hallway she's perfectly content being an unknown.
Though highly intelligent, Vidya tends to be an incredibly lazy student. She can be a highly focused, dedicated worker when she finds something she's passionate about, but the trouble is Vidya's passion lies in the unknown. The well-trodden roads of standard schoolwork don't hold her attention for long. A few select teachers have seen the blood, sweat, and tears she pours into less standard work, but most write her off as just another lazy underachiever. She has little patience for "silly wizard squabbles" as she calls everything from overly intense inter-house rivalries to blood purist bile, and often goes out of her way to disrupt such conflicts.
Background: Vidya was born to the youngest children of two prominant wizarding families; the Ayres of Ireland and the Darzi family of India. The younger of two siblings, Vidya's older sister did little to ease the already prodigious expectations piled on the young witch's shoulders. Though she only spent 4 years at Hogwarts, Rani Ayers quickly rocketed to the top of the social strata through a combination of raw charisma and exceptional quidditch skills. Those same three years were young Vidya's first at a real magical school; while she spent much of her first year seething in envy, she eventually realized that being over-looked by staff and students alike gave her ample opportunity to get into mischief without being caught and she embraced her lack of notoriety.
Though born in Ireland, Vidya spent several years of her childhood in India and attended primary school there in light of Hogwarts' entry age changes. In 2002, a year after her quidditch-prodigy sister transferred to Hogwarts, Vidya's parents enrolled her in the school, banking on the its reputation and long history to overcome its current strife.
[Post-enrollment background to be added later]
Interesting fact: Though she doesn't attend many matches at Hogwarts, Vidya is an avid quidditch fan. She collects Jalandhar Djinns merchendice; her older sister plays Chaser or them.
Wand:
Pet: None, but would like an owl or some other bird

Stats
Agility: 4
Animal handling: 2 *
Athletics: 2
     Climb 1b, Run 1b
Awareness: 3
     Notice 1b
Cunning: 3
Deception: 2
Endurance: 2