Minecraft: Chunk Lag fix

Started by Missy, June 10, 2015, 12:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

So a week or two ago I started having trouble in a few of my chunks which would cause exceptional lag for no apparent reason. It only happens in a handful of adjacent chunks and I've tested it by making a copy world and testing the offending chunks without duplicating results so given I've done almost nothing in those chunks aside from placing a few torches and mining a few ores I'm guessing chunk corruption is the culprit.

I've done a bit of research and found two possible methods of fixing it (a third involved diving into the game code, but I don't really feel I have any of the expertise necessary to do that). I have made some efforts to try and use either of the two methods, but I'm getting a little hung up on both actually.

The first possibility is to use MCEdit to open my world and then try to regenerate the offending chunks to world default. However I've only been able to figure out how to set up MCEdit to read and create vanilla worlds and since I use tekkit MCEdit seems to see a lot of 'unknown' blocks. I've read this might normally not be a problem, but I'm worried about regeneratign chunks this way since it wouldn't regenerate with modded blocks such as mod ores etc. I'm not really sure how to set up MCEdit to be able to properly read and place modded blocks for tekkit and I can't find anything about that.

The other alternative is to use worldedit to do roughly the same in game, but I am not sure how to add worldedit to my game.

If anyone could help with either of these alternatives (or knew a better option) I would greatly appreciate it!

Ephiral

Have you done much in the surrounding area? If not, find and delete the offending region file, and the game will just regen the whole thing from scratch.

Missy

Quote from: Ephiral on June 10, 2015, 12:48:16 PM
Have you done much in the surrounding area? If not, find and delete the offending region file, and the game will just regen the whole thing from scratch.

I'm pretty sure it's in the same region as my hq, I'm not really sure how to find out.

The third solution I was leery about trying involved poking through the region file and resetting the offending chunks manually, but like I said: I'm not sure about trying that with my lack of knowledge.

Ephiral

Have never dived into a region file myself, so can't speak to that. Doesn't look terribly complex, but is not layperson-level either. Um. How far are the chunks in question from HQ?

Missy

10-15 chunks from the HQ, within the same normal sized biome.

I did figure out how to delete the chunks in MCEdit and let the game do the regen when I reloaded it, but now there's a rock wall somehow where a mineshaft coridor used to be, like the mines didn't regen properly with the rest of the chunks, the cave sections regen'd fine, but the mines were gone in at least one of the four or five chunks I tried to regen.

It also didn't resolve the lag at all, I'm not sure what to do or how to fix it now.

Ephiral

I have literally zero idea how to use it, but Opis comes highly recommended in tracking down lag problems. Honestly haven'te xperienced an issue like this, so... not much more use here. Sorry.

Remiel

Yup, definitely sounds like chunk corruption.

As ephiral said, the only surefire way I know how to fix this is to delete the region file as Ephiral said, and let the program regenerate it.  Unfortunately, everything in that region that wasn't spawned by the seed will be lost. :\

Vekseid

Which version are you using?

1.7.10 has an issue with shadow calculations from the skybox. Fastcraft is a forge mod that fixes it, but that requires Forge.

Missy

I'm not 100% certain, how can I find out the specific version?

Oniya

Which modpack is it?  (Not just what launcher.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Missy on June 11, 2015, 08:22:29 AM
I'm not 100% certain, how can I find out the specific version?

Specific version is in the bottom lefthand side of the splash screen.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Missy

Technic Luncher, Tekkit Modpack

MC Version 1.6.4
MCP v8.11
FML v6.4.49.965
Forge 9.11.1.965

Vekseid

Missy