An unlikely match - 19th century romance

Started by RedEve, January 07, 2017, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedEve

The basic outline of my story is such:

Silver Cliffs island is a fictional place near the New England coast.
The year is 1841. George Belmont, the owner of the island is a well-off businessman who has connections in Washington and successful business ventures all along the East Coast.
With his professional life in order, his main concern is on the home front. His wife Marjorie gave him two children before becoming infertile: non-identical twin girls named Miranda and Amanda.
In spite of them being twins, they grew up to be very different young women. Whereas Amanda is a fun-loving young woman who has dreamed of getting married for almost as long as she was aware of the concept, Miranda is and has always been more interested in leading a quiet life of reading and studying on Silver Cliffs island. Likewise, where Amanda was an eager participant in the various balls that were held on the mainland, Miranda had to be dragged along to them and brushed off any attempt at advances from the various suitors. Both girls are now 19 years old and Amanda is engaged to the wealthy son of a Boston brewer. George Belmont is fond of tradition and thus he wants to marry off his oldest daughter before the younger one gets to do the same. The problem is that Miranda was the first-born of the two twins, which means she will have to marry too if her sister is to marry her beau. With his daughter Miranda not interested in the slightest in finding a husband, George Belmont has taken the task upon himself. He has arranged a match with Edgar Edmonstone. The Edmonstone family is a proud noble lineage from England that has fallen upon some hard times in the past generation. The son and heir, Edgar Edmonstone has run up debts with his dandiesque life style that his father, Lord James Edmonstone cannot hope to pay. Thus as part of the marriage agreement, George Belmont has committed himself to pay off his future son in law's debts. In exchange, Edgar has agreed to move to Silver Cliffs island, where he will live with his new wife after the nuptials.

I see this game as a way to explore some old-fashioned romance. Basically a couple who initially are forced together but learn to love each other.
I saw Edgar Edmonstone as quite a bit older than my character, preferably around 38 years old. He would be a man who has not lived a very serious life so far and who only agreed to the marriage because the effects of his massive debts had made his life impossible in England. My character is used to getting her way from her father and has lived a sheltered life on Silver Cliffs island.

PM me if this story interests you.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list