YouTube Recommendations

Started by TotesRider, October 12, 2016, 11:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normie

I'm a Youtube addict and I couldn't possibly try to list all the channels I'm subscribed to..... a lot of them are political commentary or news related channels which may not be appropriate to post here, but here are some entertainment focused ones:

Behind the Meme: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdsE9y553KP7Z7MDXzM1sRg

I love memes and internet culture so this is pretty self explanatory. There is a silly debate in the "meme community" over whether he is "ruining the meme economy" by "spreading dank memes to normies," which I find hilarious to watch.

Danielle Bregoli: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7rVvFP90pl7tAtPsVIhfww

This is the channel of the infamous "Cash Me Ousside" girl where she goofs off doing things like judging celebrity fashion or reading really crappy text message "horror stories" (with plenty of sassy commentary). She has the same sort of guilty pleasure appeal that Jersey Shore did, the content isn't exactly high quality, but the personality is so wacky that it's just fun to watch anyways.

LtCorbis: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT7BLBDnD-wEXeqZSg24aJw

This is a middle school aged girl who talks trash about random things and is very meme savvy, I find her funny for the same reasons as cash me ousside. I don't know if she should really even be on Youtube given her age but she is hilarious, her wit and knowledge of Internet culture is easily equivalent to someone twice her age.

Sain

Two Minute Papers is an amazing channel - an easily digestible way to keep up with computer science.

This weeks piece in particular got my jaw to slack...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLC_GHZCOVQ
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Lustful Bride

The Volgun: A wonderful youtube voice actor who does many readings of various topics, usually reading things from the SCP fandom. Sometimes reading stories and other times reading as characters from the setting.

Here is a good example of the kinds of stories he reads.

WindFish

Going to break this down into categories.

Gaming:

Pat The NES Punk - A good channel for all things retro gaming. There's also Flea Market Madness, and a couple of really insightful podcasts. One about pop culture and gaming, and one about basically everything else.

GameXplain - A good source for gaming news and insightful analysis and discussion. They have a few Let's Play livestreams. They primarily focus on Nintendo, but occasionally cover other companies.

Let's Plays:

HCBailly - He was Let's Playing before Let's Plays were cool. More focused on retro RPGs. His LPs tend to be very detailed.

Chuggaconroy - More focused on Nintendo games, but also provides very detailed information. You need to have a high tolerance for puns.

The RunawayGuys - A multiplayer collaboration of Chuggaconroy, ProtonJon, NintendoCapriSun, and occasional guests.

MasaeAnela - A frequent guest of TheRunawayGuys. A talented LPer in her own right. Does both streams and traditional Let's Plays.

Tom Fawkes - Another occasional collaborator of TheRunawayGuys, but also has his own group. Has more of a focus on various multiplayer games.

PKSparks - Has more of a focus on Nintendo content, but occasionally branches out. Does both live streams and traditional LPs.

Film:

Chris Stuckmann - One of the best and most passionate film critics out there. He occasionally does game reviews.

Andre "Black Nerd" - He does movie reviews, but also talks about recent news about pop culture.

Comedy:

Cinemassacre - Most famous for The Angry Video Game Nerd, but also has the Board James series, movie reviews, Let's Plays, and other original content.

Brentalfloss - A comedian focusing mainly on giving video game music inappropriate lyrics.

Other:

AllTime10s - Probably the best "Top 10" channel on YouTube.
Actively Searching For New One x Ones

Search Thread
O/Os
F-List

IrishWolf

Lets see here, anything not already listed by others

Gaming:

Soviet Womble

Reviews:

Bennett The Sage for his Anime Abandon series

Brandon Tenold reviews cult classics and other b grade movies

The Count Jackula Show Mostly horror movie reviews, I dont really watch his streams (or anyone elses for that matter)

The Dom compares movies to their books

The Horror Guru his name says it all, reviews horror movies

Educational?

AlternateHistoryHub

Extra Credits I love their Extra History series, they just wrapped up the Great Northern War and are starting on Otto von Bismarck.

Feature History

Forgotten Weapons Explore the world of strange firearms

KnowledgeHub

The Great War a week by week breakdown of the First World War, with specials about who did what

The Game Theorists

Spooky, Conspiracies, True Crime and Strange

Chilling Tales for Dαrk Nights

Corpse Husband

Lazy Masquerade

Mysterious 5

NaturesTemper damn but do I love his voice

Rob Dyke

Strange Mysteries

Top5s

I don't know how to categorize these

Betsy Lee her No Evil series is awesome and so are the outtakes

Bruva Alfabusa for all your Warhammer 40K comedy needs

iLL WiLL PrEss Praise our Lord and Master, Foamy!

Sara Nilsson

I know that it is likely I am the only one caring about this sport, but Robert Mensing uploads every sumo highlight from each basho as soon as possible. *fangirl squealing*

Robert Mensing

Mellific

Game Grumps - Let's Players who are always hilarious. Always. Please keep in mind that they are entertainers, and not everything that they say is politically correct. But, if you enjoy people playing video games and their commentary... you need Game Grumps in your life. Big time.

O/O | A/A | MM

Lustful Bride

Seth Skorkowsky: Is a fun RPG/tabletop game reviewer who looks in depth into various games and modules both from the Player and the GM's perspective and offers ideas for how campaigns can go. Apparently he is also a writer but I haven't read any of his novels.

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 02, 2018, 08:54:30 AMApparently he is also a writer but I haven't read any of his novels.

(I know this is a thread for YouTube recommendations, but I gotta say that these look interesting:  http://skorkowsky.com/valducan-series/ )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RubySlippers

Magog of Morskar - witty content only a geek could love and criticism of internet crazy people and sjw's.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxJWPpPED-J24znoKyKZYjg
WORSHIP HIM!

GoodBadFlicks - viewing of old movies and new with in a look at the making of and actors in etc. of them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtKttDTGqEbBrC7jDN2_axQ

Vergil Tanner

Well, kinda eclectic in what I think I should recommend, but here goes!

Armoured Skeptic
Not everybodies cup of tea, and he does get things wrong from time to time, but I find his videos enjoyable and I respect his attempt at creating an objectively centrist character who questions all positions presented to him. Again, he gets things wrong, but in my experience he goes out of his way to admit when he's fucked up and even has a video he released recently that he calls "Top Ten Times Armoured Skeptic Fucked Up." Even if you disagree with him, it never hurts to listen to people you disagree with, no?

Secular Talk
I dislike the Young Turks as a general rule, which is why I don't really pay attention to them, but Kyle, I respect. I don't always agree with him, but I find him to be a more reliable and critical "journalist" than most of the "Traditional Media" these days. He's a rare journalist in that despite being pretty solidly left-wing, he criticises the left just as harshly as the right. Again, I don't always agree with him, but I respect him and trust him to report as accurately as he can.

TFS Gaming
If anybody knows who Team Four Star are, you should know about TFS Gaming; basically, the team of TFS playing video games, most well known for their Pokemon Nuzlocke and Dragonball Xenoverse runs. And if you don't know who TFS are, I suggest them as well. Their Dragonball Z Abridged and Helsing Ultimate Abridged are hilarious.

Epic Rock / Pop
Epic music, uploaded weekly. Some are better than others, but if you want to find new and interesting artists and bands, this is a good place to start. Many of my Character Theme Songs have been found through this channel!

Jonathon Young
An amazing singer and artist, he does covers of well known songs from all kinds of anime, films and artists. He went through a huge Disney Phase, and recently released the Pokemon Metal Album. His most recent one that I've heard is "Double Trouble," a heavy metal cover of the Team Rocket Song. Frankly awesome.
He also somehow made the original Mighty Morphing Power Rangers theme even more 80's hair metal. I don't even know how that's possible.

The Bible Reloaded
Two irreverent atheists reading through the bible, chick tracts and reviewing Christian movies? Duh. Now, their humour isn't to everybodies tastes, but if you appreciate low-brow, take-it-to-absurd levels of fucked up humour, definitely give them a try.

The Quran Reloaded
Same as above, but with the Quran. Same guys, obviously :P

Ozzy Man Reviews
An extremely Australian man commentates over Youtube Vidoes and viral clips. He has a long running series where he reviews Game of Thrones episodes in the same sorta style, and even has a pair of videos where he interviewed the cast. Very funny, and well worth a watch.

And...that's it, I believe!
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Lustful Bride

Ace Combat Fan: A fan of Ace Combat who looks deep into the lore, the history and gameplay of the Ace Combat series. Everything you have ever wanted to know about the series +Playthroughs, all in one convenient channel.

Chapter Master Valrak: A 40K fan news channel who keeps up to date with the goings on with the series, occasionally plays games and looks into various things of 40K.

Lustful Bride

The Templin Institute: A scifi/Fantasy youtube channel that looks at the governmental structure of various factions in popular fiction and examines how they work as well as giving them an overview while a highlight reel plays in the background. I love their Stargate video and the video they did on flags from fictional groups. It gets a recommendation from me. ^_^

TerribleTira

New Retro Wave is one of my favorite channels for music when I'm doing creative writing. They even have artists like Megadrive, Trevor Something, VHS Glitch, Lazerhawk, and Perturbator that have tracks that are 1 hr +. It's like a modern throwback take on the 80's.

Skynet

I realized that I posted earlier, but I developed a fandom for some more channels

ContraPoints: Focuses on political and topical issues, usually involving gender and social justice issues. Her videos have a level of professionalism that would be good enough to be on television, but just as importantly has a good sense of psychedelic and self-deprecating humor otherwise absent in a lot SJ YouTube.

Shaun & Jen: Channel specializes in taking the piss out of misinformation on more popular channels. Has a more chill and relaxed vibe in comparison to the other channels, but is a useful resource for debunking falsehoods.

HBomberguy: Like ContraPoints is a humor-focused political channel, but he also covers game design and film theory (his Dark Souls and Fallout 3 videos I can't recommend enough).

Destiny: A gaming-focused YouTuber who also delves into debates, which is primarily why I follow him. Although he has a tendency to take on just about anyone willing to debate, some of his more high-profile debates against personalities such as Sargon of Akkad have been notable. I confess that I first started following him after the JonTron debate.

Sara Nilsson

cant recommend anymore after some hateful shit being posted. Disappointing.

Atarn

Miracle of Sound:  : Come for Commander Shepard, stay for everything else.

YoungYea:  : Found him through Jim Sterling, though prefer Yong these days. Mostly does Videogame/gaming media related vids but unlike Sterling doesn't go all in for a Persona.

Noah Antwiler, Aka the Spoony One: : Some of the older stuff like his Ultima 9 and FF X-2 reviews are golden. His Ultima for the SNES is also hilarious. When he was at his best, no one could top him.

Decker Shado: : next to Cinemasnob, probably the best movie reviewer on Youtube in my opinion. Decker is easy to watch/listen to, has good points and is genuinely funny most of the time. Bonus points for when he does crossovers with Creepy. Only minus is that I think he's a bit too lenient on really shitty movies at times.

Linkara:  : Linkara rocks. Simple as that. Watch his Transformers reviews, or his Ultimate Warrior review.

LoadingReadyRun:  : Not since Kids in the Hall has Canada been this funny. Their Livestream sister channel LoadingReadyLive is also hilarious at times. Their Hatoful Boyfriend Livestream is really Break-down-And-Cry-From-laughing funny.

Anime Abandon:  : If you like to see anime thrashed or hailed, Bennet's the guy. Mostly deals in older stuff, but he's good at pointing out what's wrong or right with an anime.

ThatCreepyLongHairedGuy:  : Decker's perverted nemesis. Creepy is hilarious and he does have a Miniature Elder God on his side. Watch him, he deserves more views.

What if the Emperor had Text to Speech : Take the utter BS stupidity that is W40K, slightly twist some humor into it and voila! One of the most hilarious nerd channels on the tube. Don't you want to know why Kitten's Tau girlfriend left him? (Hint, the ridge on the forehead is not a genital)

And lastly...!
Jonathan Young: : Some really good covers, plus his post song Patreon talk is usually hilarious. "I need money so I can buy pizza...Else I'll starve and DIE! And I can't make music if I am DEAD."
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sara Nilsson

Kati Morton

Kati Morton, a therapist that makes really good videos about mental health.

Lustful Bride

StorytellerSpira: A very well done tabletop roleplaying channel run by miss Spira who handles her games very professionally with music, visual aids, and little transitions that help set the scene and proper mood. I love listening to her videos when I am working on other things and sometimes I will be inspired to write by the sessions she runs.

Seraaron: Another tabletop roleplaying channel that primarily focuses upon the Exalted setting, and has an entire playlist detailing the lore and backstory of Exalted. I kind of wish he had better audio in some of his roleplay videos and that his partner in his Exalted Wheel game could be a little more professional (less swearing and yelling) but I still enjoy their work.

Lustful Bride

Retcon Raider: A small youtuber with surprisingly good editing and production values in some of his videos. I personally found him through his Phoenix Point lore videos, where he explains the backstory and significance of the lore bits in the setting.

I am currently enjoying his Darkest Dungeon playthrough. I really love the care, attention to detail, editing, and even the moments where he has dialogue as a character from the game during the video. ^_^ I hope he gets more subscribers as time goes on. All of that extra effort deserves to be rewarded.

Notorious

Alt Shift X - https://www.youtube.com/user/JaiWbio

For a deeper look into all the fantasy and sci-fi you love. ^_^

Sain

Like Stories of Old

Talks about some core concepts of writing in various ways, often including snippets and pieces of the deeper underlying psychology and philosophy behind them. The videos are quite short and easily digestible. Perhaps not so great for real fans of philosophy, but awesome for dabblers and writers ;D
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Lustful Bride

Yusha Thomas has a channel where he goes deep into military humor. Some of it I miss out on, but as an Army Brat I can still get a very good laugh out of it, especially when he makes fun of some of the lesser known things about the service. (Oh god I can never get enough of when he mocks the VA or shows how hard Drill Sargeants can be if you get on their bad side X3)

Oniya

New set of Susskind lectures - this one on Black Holes and Complexity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJcrJE23Sls