For anyone who doesn't like President Bush

Started by Paradox, December 14, 2008, 09:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

(This doesn't mean that I don't like Bush. I just find the clip to be immensely amusing.)

If you don't like Bush, then revel in the slow motion shots of an Iraqi journalist lobbing both of his shoes at the President during a news conference.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7782422.stm

The video shows the initial incident, followed by a slow-motion retake.

In the Middle East, showing the sole of your shoe to someone is a serious sign of disrespect. Showing your foot to someone is even more of an insult. This particular journalist had his family killed during the War on Terror, was held captive by terrorists that the war failed to eliminate, and had his entire news team taken captive as well. Obviously, he had an axe to grind with Bush.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Ket

Quote from: George W. BushIt's like driving down the street and having people not gesturing with all five fingers.

I think that has to be the best thing he's said in his eight years in office. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Paradox

Hahahaha yeah. I also like his initial reaction:

Quote from: George W. Bush
So what if a guy threw a shoe at me?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Ket

You do have to give him credit for being good at ducking. 
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Will

Yes, he did dodge the shoes very nicely!  Still, I can't even explain how gratifying that was.  If I still smoked, I would.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Caity

He's such an idiot...

It's about freaking time somebody threw a shoe at him. 

The Overlord

Quote from: Paradox on December 14, 2008, 09:21:48 PM

In the Middle East, showing the sole of your shoe to someone is a serious sign of disrespect. Showing your foot to someone is even more of an insult.

I first saw this on the live coverage when we first went in. When they pulled down that large statue of Saddam in the now-famous footage, afterward the Iraqis broke the head off and were dragging it unceremoniously through the streets. One elderly and clearly enraged man was continuously smacking the head with his shoe and yelling his contempt for Saddam into the camera, which they explained at the time was a grave insult.

Sabby

This man shall be forever known as...

'The Shoe-ter'

The Overlord

RubySlippers

Now the big question will they make everyone turn in their shoes before ANY news conference where the President is in shoe tossing range?

The Overlord

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 15, 2008, 05:04:30 AM
Now the big question will they make everyone turn in their shoes before ANY news conference where the President is in shoe tossing range?

I can think of few things that would incense the Middle East more. Better keep the press conferences out of there.

Oniya

They talked about this on the news this morning, and I have to say - my first reaction was to actually laugh.  Especially when some random caller said that 'if the shoe had hit him in the right place, like the temple, it could have been fatal'. 

I couldn't tell if he was actually considering the shoe a dangerous weapon, or if he was criticizing the reporter's aim.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

CassandraNova

Quote from: The Overlord on December 15, 2008, 02:45:30 AM

Or perhaps...the Shoegun.

If he should be elected to public office, would it be reffered to as the Shoegunate?

Will

Quote from: CassandraNova on December 15, 2008, 04:52:20 PM
If he should be elected to public office, would it be reffered to as the Shoegunate?

Ha!  Nice. ;D

- Jack Kerouac

CassandraNova

Unlike Vladimir Putin, President Bush really did gaze into this guy's sole.

Donald Rumsfeld:  "I sincerely believe we'll be greeted as liberators.  They will strew roses at the feet of our troops.  Shoes, I mean shoes!"

Boy, here I thought the President was just loafin' around in the mideast...

Gives a new meaning to the phrase, "The shoe's on the other foot now," doesn't it?

You know, it's a shoe-in that he'll probably be charged with a crime...

Funny thing is that the President just went there to shoe-t the breeze.

Heh.

Will

Okay, okay!  My belly hurts from laughing now, thank you. :P

- Jack Kerouac

The Overlord

Quote from: CassandraNova on December 15, 2008, 04:57:10 PM
Donald Rumsfeld:  "I sincerely believe we'll be greeted as liberators.  They will strew roses at the feet of our troops.  Shoes, I mean shoes!"

This one still boggles me. Makes a hard point on just how out of touch with reality Rumsfeld is. This was Baghdad 2003; a far cry from Paris 1944.

It gets interesting if you're not too familiar with Rummy's history and find out he was defense secretary for Nixon. God damned Nixon in the Vietnam era, for Christ's sake. They should have wheeled that old fossil into a nursing home a long time ago.