Fairytale Book Search - any suggestions?

Started by SaturnsWings, January 15, 2010, 01:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaturnsWings

I am currently craving a good book of fairytales. Not the Grimm Fairytales or Hans Christian Anderson--I've read those quite a few times. I remember that there were "color" fairytale books (The Green Book of Fairytales, etc.) and I was wondering if there are any suggestions that any of you could make. Any assortment are gladly welcomed but I would be most grateful if somebody could point me towards fairytales from other cultures. (My cousin came home from Russia with the most beautiful book of fairytales with hand painted illustrations to go along with it, although it doesn't have to be nearly so extravagant.)

Thanks!

Lilias

If you want the 'coloured' books again, you can look on Project Gutenberg - the author is Andrew Lang. There you'll also find:

Old French Fairy Tales (Madame de Segur)
The Tales of Mother Goose (Charles Perrault, including many early versions of classics, from times when they were not considered kiddie stuff)
The Happy Prince and Other Tales (Oscar Wilde)
Fairy Tales of the Allied Nations (Edmund Dulac)
Japanese Fairy Tales (Yei Theodora Ozaki)
Indian Fairy Tales (Joseph Jacobs)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

SaturnsWings

Well aren't you just fucking awesome. Thank you so much! This should be plenty for me to live off of for a while. :)

Thanks again

Beguile's Mistress

DarklingAlice

Oh wow Lilias, I had no idea that the Andrew Lang fairy books were online! Thank you!

Another good reference:
Folklore and Mythology Electronic Texts translated and edited by D.L. Ashliman, hosted by the University of Pittsburgh

This one has the advantage of grouping fairy/folk tales by type rather than origin, so you can find a general theme you like, e.g. Beauty and the Beast, and then read all the variants to see how different cultures each have a unique take on the story.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Caeli

Thanks, you guys. :-) I'll take the suggestions, as well!
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs