What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Anteros

Judge spares prison for Iowa teen who raped toddler girl in live video — and plotted to assault boy: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/judge-spares-prison-for-iowa-teen-who-raped-toddler-girl-in-live-video-and-plotted-to-assault-boy/

edit:fixed link
ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

*shakes head* great now he walks when he would have suffered just as much in prison.

All that would be needed is for the inmates to know he was a Kiddie rapist. But the judge had to go and do this.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 14, 2016, 05:25:46 PM
*shakes head* great now he walks when he would have suffered just as much in prison.

All that would be needed is for the inmates to know he was a Kiddie rapist. But the judge had to go and do this.

He would have been killed, specifically. Likely after being repeatedly raped and tortured too. I guess the judge decided that since he wasn't up on capital charges in the first place, they shouldn't sentence him to death indirectly.

Missy

I watched a documentary about some kids in juvenile detention once, specifically sex offender kids. They had to be kept separate from the rest of the population for their safety. "Chomo" was the slang used for them by the rest of the population.

TaintedAndDelish

Second DNC dump of leaked documents reveals that major donors ( 600K to several million dollars)  somehow ended up with positions as Ambassadors after donating (AKA. Pay to Play) . What is funny about this is that you would think that the major media outlets would be having a field day with this. They are not. They are too busy reporting that former secretary of state Colon Powell make snaky remarks about Hillary and Trump via email.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-13/how-much-it-costs-get-ambassadorship-guccifer-20-leaks-dnc-pay-play-donor-list

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on September 14, 2016, 08:52:17 PM
Second DNC dump of leaked documents reveals that major donors ( 600K to several million dollars)  somehow ended up with positions as Ambassadors after donating (AKA. Pay to Play) . What is funny about this is that you would think that the major media outlets would be having a field day with this. They are not. They are too busy reporting that former secretary of state Colon Powell make snaky remarks about Hillary and Trump via email.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-13/how-much-it-costs-get-ambassadorship-guccifer-20-leaks-dnc-pay-play-donor-list

Because modern media isn't about the truth anymore, its about the clicks and the views.

I don't know whether to be surprised or angry too that WikiLeaks seems to be wanting to help trump win.

Anteros

Federal lawsuit alleges Georgia blocked thousands of minorities from voter rolls: http://www.rawstory.com/2016/09/federal-lawsuit-alleges-georgia-blocked-thousands-of-minorities-from-voter-rolls/

Direct Actions Continue Against Dakota Access Pipeline, Legal Repression Intensifies: http://www.unicornriot.ninja/?p=9022
ONS & OFFS: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=14923.0

I stand with the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe against the North Dakota Access Pipeline https://www.facebook.com/ajplusengli...0139732127536/
Please sign the petition: https://t.co/42VMYy7WzA

TaintedAndDelish

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 14, 2016, 08:56:20 PM
I don't know whether to be surprised or angry too that WikiLeaks seems to be wanting to help trump win.

I think his perspective is more to block Hillary as she is a direct threat to him.

Quote from: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/27/us/politics/assange-timed-wikileaks-release-of-democratic-emails-to-harm-hillary-clinton.html?_r=0At one point, Mr. Peston said: “Plainly, what you are saying, what you are publishing, hurts Hillary Clinton. Would you prefer Trump to be president?”

Mr. Assange replied that what Mr. Trump would do as president was “completely unpredictable.” By contrast, he thought it was predictable that Mrs. Clinton would wield power in two ways he found problematic.

...<snip> ...

First, citing his “personal perspective,” Mr. Assange accused Mrs. Clinton of having been among those pushing to indict him after WikiLeaks disseminated a quarter of a million diplomatic cables during her tenure as secretary of state.

“We do see her as a bit of a problem for freedom of the press more generally,” Mr. Assange said.

...<snip>...

“She has a long history of being a liberal war hawk, and we presume she is going to proceed” with that approach if elected president, he said.

Valerian

Well, Scooter (AKA Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker) is in the spotlight again as hundreds of documents detailing his campaign fraud have now been leaked to The Guardian.  Here's one of the most disturbing parts:

The John Doe files reveal that the billionaire owner of NL Industries, one of America's leading producers of lead used in paint until the ban, secretly donated $750,000 to Wisconsin Club for Growth at a time when Walker and his fellow Republican senators were fighting their recall elections. Also in the same time-frame, the Republican-controlled senate passed, and Walker signed into law, legal changes that attempted to grant effective immunity to lead manufacturers from any compensation claims for lead paint poisoning.

Several key points of those laws were overturned, thankfully, but the whole scheme is still appalling.   >:(
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Warlock

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 14, 2016, 08:56:20 PMI don't know whether to be surprised or angry too that WikiLeaks seems to be wanting to help trump win.

The DNC's corruption does not disappear by being hidden beneath a carpet, if they lose votes because of their actions coming to light its on them and not anyone else. Reminds me some time back with the torture report and people arguing it shouldn't be released since it could cause anti-american sentiments and put american lives in harm's way. Or the attempts of the Catholic Chruch to hide the sexual abuse of children commited by its clergy to avoid public backlash. They did wrong and so have the DNC and Trump is no more a licence to excuse, or ignore, bad behavior on their part.

And I doubt Wikileaks would be very interested in a Trump presidency.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Warlock on September 15, 2016, 01:04:26 PM
The DNC's corruption does not disappear by being hidden beneath a carpet, if they lose votes because of their actions coming to light its on them and not anyone else. Reminds me some time back with the torture report and people arguing it shouldn't be released since it could cause anti-american sentiments and put american lives in harm's way. Or the attempts of the Catholic Chruch to hide the sexual abuse of children commited by its clergy to avoid public backlash. They did wrong and so have the DNC and Trump is no more a licence to excuse, or ignore, bad behavior on their part.

And I doubt Wikileaks would be very interested in a Trump presidency.

Probably not, but Assange at least seems to be taking the approach of 'better the devil you don't know than the devil you do'.

gaggedLouise

Brexit is set to become a tough and long-winded affair, just as expected. Herman van Rompuy, who used to be the top man of the EU:s federal executive level, estimated in an interview that the serious parts of negotiations won't begin until a full year ahead. With the two biggest players of the EU having elections next year - France in the spring and Germany sometime in September or October - we are unlikely to see any heavy lifting getting approached until it is assured what govenments those two will have. He's hoping Theresa May won't wait that long with invoking the fampus Article 50 and formally begin negotiations.

Meanwhile, EU officials and politicians are hinting that the game plan is to make things as tough for Britain as possible, to really set an example for other member states: don't go there!  ::) (both van Rompuy and Donald Tusk seemed to agree with this).

Quote from: Daily Telegraph“Perhaps there was a time when this could not have got nasty,” said one source close to Mr Verhofstadt, “but when the Brexit minister /David Davis/  calls the chief negotiator ‘Satan’ what response, really, does Britain expect?”

Those sentiments were echoed by Burkhard Balz, a German MEP whose leading role on the European Parliament’s economic and monetary affairs committee makes him influential on financial services regulation, said Britain must not underestimate the determination of the rest of Europe to deprive the UK of its EU financial passporting rights and euro clearing. He also warned Europe would accept economic pain to defend its core principles and that the belief among Brexiters that the demands of German and French exporters could substantially soften terms was overblown.

“This summer I travelled all over Germany, and the main reason was to talk about Brexit. Every time, in every place, the biggest round of applause was when I said the ‘the time of cherry-picking and rebates is over’. That is how the German people feel about the situation,” he told the Telegraph.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Renegade Vile

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 15, 2016, 01:59:18 PM
Brexit is set to become a tough and long-winded affair, just as expected. Herman van Rompuy, who used to be the top man of the EU:s federal executive level, estimated in an interview that the serious parts of negotiations won't begin until a full year ahead. With the two biggest players of the EU having elections next year - France in the spring and Germany sometime in September or October - we are unlikely to see any heavy lifting getting approached until it is assured what govenments those two will have. He's hoping Theresa May won't wait that long with invoking the fampus Article 50 and formally begin negotiations.

Meanwhile, EU officials and politicians are hinting that the game plan is to make things as tough for Britain as possible, to really set an example for other member states: don't go there!  ::) (both van Rompuy and Donald Tusk seemed to agree with this).

We've had news reports over here too that have been talking about how Europe is going to try to make Britain's life miserable to discourage anyone else from leaving the union. I'm skeptical that's actually going to do anything for their case. Instead of frightening people off, it's more likely to make countries think twice about keeping the knot tied with the EU.
As a complete aside, two of the men you mentioned, Verhofstadt and Van Rompuy, are Belgian politicians, both ardent "Europeans" who played a healthy hand in wrecking Belgium's economy over roughly a decade of their respective involvements at the top. The former is more corrupt than the latter, but they're both essentially pro-Europe, yet come from the 60% of Belgium (Flanders) that predominantly has anti-EU sentiments and has had them since before its inception. Wonderful, ain't it?
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Warlock

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 15, 2016, 01:59:18 PMMeanwhile, EU officials and politicians are hinting that the game plan is to make things as tough for Britain as possible, to really set an example for other member states: don't go there!  ::) (both van Rompuy and Donald Tusk seemed to agree with this).

It's not like that will backfire, especially considering a prominent view of the European Union amongst its detractors and critics is that it's harsh, uncaring and attempting to centeralize power. Though the second article seemed to allow for compromise, despite its headline, to ease transition towards us renewing our Wedding Vows. Keeping the polyamorous EU family together is difficult, especially since us Swedes are dicking around with Norway.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Warlock on September 16, 2016, 06:07:34 AM
Keeping the polyamorous EU family together is difficult, especially since us Swedes are dicking around with Norway.

Oh, you're speaking the Language of Honour and Heroes as well?  :P

Warlock

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 16, 2016, 07:23:48 AM
Oh, you're speaking the Language of Honour and Heroes as well?  :P

Wouldn't really call it 'speaking', as much as communicating and conveying advanced concepts through breathing noises. To provide a brief insight into one of our cultural idiosyncrasies, for those unfamiliar.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Warlock on September 16, 2016, 07:44:01 AM
Wouldn't really call it 'speaking', as much as communicating and conveying advanced concepts through breathing noises. To provide a brief insight into one of our cultural idiosyncrasies, for those unfamiliar.

Mmm, I know people up there so I've heard it a few times - mostly from the local born though.  :-)

Lustful Bride

With the way you all describe the EU it makes the nearly dysfunctional family that is the 50 US states, seem like the Brady Bunch. 0_0

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 16, 2016, 08:26:02 AM
With the way you all describe the EU it makes the nearly dysfunctional family that is the 50 US states, seem like the Brady Bunch. 0_0

Well, you don't have like thirty different official/legislative languages (all EU-wide laws, policy documents and stuff gets translated or interpreted into every one of those, for every member country), or near as many contradictions in how various member states see each other.  :D Imagine a US made up of thirty different Texas'es trying to get along.  :P

On the other hand, we don't have two-year long paths running into all major parliamentary elections.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lustful Bride on September 16, 2016, 08:26:02 AM

That is because it is a dysfunctional family that tries to forcibly glue together countries that are wildly different the more borders lie between them. Neighboring countries can usually find some similarities, but go one step further and it starts to heap up.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lustful Bride

A single 12 year old boy stands defiantly infront of a crowd protesting gay marriage in South America.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/brave-12-year-old-boy-stands-up-to-11000-anti-gay-protesters-in-harrowing-image/vi-AAiQCZe?ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

The reason why?  He was tired of all the Hatred.

Takes serious bravery from one so young. My heart goes out to the boy and my prayers for him. Maybe this will remind people we teach ourselves to hate, and it isn't our natural state.

Beguile's Mistress

He reminds me of the boy a while back who stood up to the Westboro Baptists with a sign about love.

Young people have tremendous courage in the face of adversity.