What to get!? Kindle Fire or Tablet?

Started by Keylee, March 15, 2012, 12:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keylee

Ok, So I am a college student that makes about $300 a month, however this month is my birthday ! And I'm not really TECH savy.

I was talking to my parents about getting something for me, and I've been dying for a kindle. I'm a BIG reader and I love books. One of my friends was like the kindlefire sucks! He said I could get a tablet that is about the same price and has more advantages. But mostly I was just looking to read on and not have much app stuff, though it would be awesome if I could get apps and go online.

Now in school I don't bring  a laptop with me because I hate carrying it around with my book bag and I do a lot of walking. Lately it has been nice and I love sitting out side doing homework.

I've been thinking a table might be better suited for me because I do do a lot of online stuff (i'm in 5 clubs at school) and I tend to do a lot of online activities with those clubs.  So I figured while I'm outside I can be online and do my hand written homework stuff. Also a add in is whenever I have free time it would be nice to have a book at hand but sometimes i forget :x....

So my question, Does anyone have a short break down of the kindle fire vs. A table and which one I should go with? I'm leaning more towards the tablet.

But i feel very over whelmed when I look them up, I'm not at all sure what to pick or what I am looking for, it's all confusing to me. I have a total with my parents help of up to 300 dollars. I know it's not a lot, but I've been checking tiger direct and they have some good priced ones, I just dunno if they are worth it or not.. So which tablet?

Thanks for your help.
Turn on's and Off's l Romance Me! l A&Al
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Oreo

The only real disadvantage I found with the Kindle Fire was not being able to get online easily. If your school has a free wifi hook up for you it might serve you well. I really like the compact size. It's not so heavy as to be a burden to carry around. I take it with me when I go to town, for reading, games, music and such. I've never used a tablet so I can't comment on the differences. There are a couple of reviews on the Kindle Fire in this months Elliquiy Herald and Post - here.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Keylee

Thanks! Yeah I considering a kindle fire, I still think I might be. My friend just made me unsure of myself. I feeling guilty when I spend money even if it is my birthday and I want to make sure I'm getting a good deal with the amount I'm spending. :D

So far most of the people I talk to say the KF is great.

fancyfictions

I love my Kindle Fire. I got it a little bit before Christmas and use it daily. It being wifi only is about the only downside to it but if you're able to use your cell phone as a wifi hotspot (I do that when I'm away from home without wifi) or have places where you can get it free, you're pretty much set.

I read, watch tv shows/movies, play games, listen to music, write and surf the web on it. For the price and for not needing it to do too much more than what I mentioned, I highly recommend it.
Fancy's Fancies|

“Fiction is life with the dull bits left out”- Clive James

Callie Del Noire

I like my fire.. (I got it on sale with a HUGE christmas gift cert at a store I never go to).

If you're an Amazon Prime client (which you probably aren't given your student status) it grants an AMAZING level of stuff to play with. Free video streaming (to specific shows/movies, but hey.. Firefly is one of said shows) a 'free' book each month (limited by publishers.. but I got Hunger Games free).

You also get free apps everyday. I have played around with some of it. The irony that the tools I like to use are found on the Fire rather than the iPad. I have network tool apps that I use a lot to check ip addresses, look over the network but the one tool I really wanted was a 'sniffer'. I have no less than NINE wi-fi sources in the area, as well as the occasional 'black hole' that appears when I'm closer to the base, and working to find the 'sweet spot' was greatly enhanced by the use of one app I could get on the Fire.

My suggestion, as always, is to go by some of the stores like barnes & noble, best buy, Office depot and play around with the floor models to see what you like best.

The fire is a very nice tablet for the low end.

Keylee

Thanks for all your input ^_^ I did enjoy playing with the floor modle at target for abit, it was very pretty and shieny. My only concern was how big it was, I'd like something a little bigger, but all In all it sounds like a good deal for the price I'm paying :D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Keylee on March 15, 2012, 10:45:12 AM
Thanks for all your input ^_^ I did enjoy playing with the floor modle at target for abit, it was very pretty and shieny. My only concern was how big it was, I'd like something a little bigger, but all In all it sounds like a good deal for the price I'm paying :D

It is. One bit of advice, buy a cover with it. I tell everyone who gets a tablet or ereader that.

Keylee

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 15, 2012, 10:49:23 AM
It is. One bit of advice, buy a cover with it. I tell everyone who gets a tablet or ereader that.

Oh yeah that was on my list :P, I even got a screen protector for my DSlite >.> I was so paranoid about it that I would not touch my ds until i got the screen protector.

Thank you so much!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Keylee on March 15, 2012, 10:51:08 AM
Oh yeah that was on my list :P, I even got a screen protector for my DSlite >.> I was so paranoid about it that I would not touch my ds until i got the screen protector.

Thank you so much!

Oh yeah, be careful with the plug, it's a bit tricky to seat on my fire.

HockeyGod

I love my Kindle Fire, but 2 major drawbacks:

1. Doesn't have integrated access to the Amazon whispernet so you need Wifi.

2. Doesn't have integrated bluetooth technology - I haven't found a keyboard that will work with it.

Otherwise, I use it every day!

Trieste

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 15, 2012, 10:13:58 AM
If you're an Amazon Prime client (which you probably aren't given your student status) it grants an AMAZING level of stuff to play with. Free video streaming (to specific shows/movies, but hey.. Firefly is one of said shows) a 'free' book each month (limited by publishers.. but I got Hunger Games free).

Slightly off-topic, but Amazon Student is available to customers with a .edu address. It's essentially the free demo version of Prime; you don't get the streaming and I don't know about the books but you get student-related discounts and the shipping perks of Prime. Plus, Amazon cut the price in half for me to upgrade to Prime after my year of Amazon Student. So it was like $35 for a year of Amazon Prime. I love it. I don't know that I could ever go back to the basic account... which is probably why they do it.

Keylee

Bluetooth is a bit useless for me, because I have nothing that uses it lol. But if i could use a keyboard with it, that would be interesting to say the least.

what is whispernet?

<.< I'm tempted to get teh Amazon prime client now >.>

HockeyGod

I have Amazon prime. It is amazing. You get free 2-day shipping and free streaming...I love it!

Bluetooth is important because it allows your device to pair up with a number of wireless accessories (mouse, keyboard, headset, etc.). Without bluetooth you are stuck with a wired keyboard.

Whispernet is Amazon's 4G service that downloads books. It doesn't work for general Kindle web surfing and such.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Keylee on March 15, 2012, 04:13:07 PM
Bluetooth is a bit useless for me, because I have nothing that uses it lol. But if i could use a keyboard with it, that would be interesting to say the least.

what is whispernet?

<.< I'm tempted to get teh Amazon prime client now >.>

Whispernet is the cellphone linakage that the Kindle 2, Kindle 3 and some of the others use to connect and download books and limited webacess

Oreo

*has to agree* I went ahead and got the Prime. I think it has already paid for itself in shipping costs alone and I have only had it for a few months.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Alysanthia

I love love love my KF!

I use it everyday either for reading, web browsing, IM'ing, and even writing posts for E. Fits easily in my purse and really light weight, it just makes me happy in general.

I have the Prime account and it is so lovely. Absolutely worth the price Amazon asks for.

Also the Cloud option is great, I've saved PDF files to it and a few E books I had already on my computer and love being able to access them on my KF. Haven't even put a dent in the free GB's they offer you.

Callie Del Noire

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=59800.0

This is the ebook discussion thread I started a while back.. it comes and goes as folks posts things. Feel free to join in and read, give your thoughts, ask questions and look around. :D

Keylee

Well I don't think I care that much about blue tooth to really hook up to anything :D

but thanks for all the input guys and gal's, it's really helpful! I think I will be asking for a kindlefire :D