Revival: Time After Time [Extreme, Light Fantasy, Dash of Sci-Fi]

Started by Ceralilly, July 17, 2016, 11:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceralilly

Thank you all for your patience! Magic is finalized and just being added to the table so within 24 hours that should be dropped here for your reference along with THREE Character Sheets, already created.., one for each Character type.

I am SO excited to work with you all.  We are drawing towards the time for game play!!!
I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

Lindrea

There will be rules for creating characters, yeah?  Like.. how much magic we can have?  Things of that nature?

Sunshine

Quote from: Lindrea on July 20, 2016, 10:35:13 PM
There will be rules for creating characters, yeah?  Like.. how much magic we can have?  Things of that nature?
Yes, It will be released with the Magic information and on the character sheets as well. There will be a list to pick and choose from and rules to follow. Once you see it, if you have any questions, you just let us know. Thank you for your questions!

Lindrea

dale108

Quoting from page 1, Revival Rule & Guidelines:

Weapons – No guns, giant metal swords, phasers, tasers, or lasers. This game is not necessarily archaic, but not modern. So use weapons accordingly. If you can fashion something with limited resources, go for it. Make a wooden spear, create a bow if you are extra handy, maybe even fashion a dagger from bones. Use a rock if you like, it’s plenty effective. Basically use common sense here. There may be small exceptions made but GM approval is required.

You're saying there is no metal-making technology?  But that's one of the definitions of "archaic", as in "primitive".  Forgive me, but I think that needs to be reworked, given that you have Ostarians with the ability for space travel, but don't have knives.  They may have lost all their technology upon crashing on the planet, but did they also lose the ability to make metal?   XD
"Sometimes it's not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning."

Grammar is Important:
Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Correct word choices is knowing if you'd rather be pissed off THEN pissed on or pissed off THAN pissed on.
Punctuation is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

https://www.f-list.net/c/breathlessforyou

Relikai

Who knows, the loss of advanced technology to create such things might be due to the Earth and Nature ;)

That said, what would the GMs say should my character(s) try to fashion a primitive forge in order to treat ores and metals?

dale108

Quote from: Relikai on July 21, 2016, 12:27:58 AM
Who knows, the loss of advanced technology to create such things might be due to the Earth and Nature ;)

I get that.  Perhaps Mother Earth is preventing the Ostarians from having any technology once they've crashed.  But surely they'd have metal-edged weapons available.  No KA-Bar's in their possession?  And if they do, those would become barter material on a planet where all other weapons are made of sticks and stones.  And then there's the metal fragments of the spacecraft itself that could be valuable for fashioning weapons.  I just think converting colonists from outer space into dependence on stone-age technology seems a bit unrealistic.  Granted, none of this is supposed to be all that realistic anyhow.   XD

No, I'm not trying to create an arms race in this story.  But if you've got people coming from outer-space, metal is going to bleed into the weaponry of the planet.  One of the first things native Americans traded for when European explorers arrived in the New World were metal weapons. 

It's just something to think about when it comes to the subject of weapons in the story.
"Sometimes it's not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning."

Grammar is Important:
Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Correct word choices is knowing if you'd rather be pissed off THEN pissed on or pissed off THAN pissed on.
Punctuation is the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

https://www.f-list.net/c/breathlessforyou

Ceralilly

We haven't updated the weapons yet. It's an ongoing discussion for us.
I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

Rafiki23

Quote from: dale108 on July 21, 2016, 01:03:50 AM
I get that.  Perhaps Mother Earth is preventing the Ostarians from having any technology once they've crashed.  But surely they'd have metal-edged weapons available.  No KA-Bar's in their possession?  And if they do, those would become barter material on a planet where all other weapons are made of sticks and stones.  And then there's the metal fragments of the spacecraft itself that could be valuable for fashioning weapons.  I just think converting colonists from outer space into dependence on stone-age technology seems a bit unrealistic.  Granted, none of this is supposed to be all that realistic anyhow.   XD

No, I'm not trying to create an arms race in this story.  But if you've got people coming from outer-space, metal is going to bleed into the weaponry of the planet.  One of the first things native Americans traded for when European explorers arrived in the New World were metal weapons. 

It's just something to think about when it comes to the subject of weapons in the story.

So yes, even in the middle ages, the art metallurgy and forging was readily available. But, that was out of necessity, those people could not live, fight, or survive without harnessing metal. Our Artificers and Therianths have had magic for almost a millennium now, this magic allows them to protect themselves, provide sustenance, and shelter. Though they would have knives and probably daggers (this is being updated in the section) It would not have been their primary concern to make metal weapons as they had other, more accessible means of self-defense.

Now, all this being said, the Ostarians do have a need for those weapons at least until they can master some form of magic. Hence the change, so yes there would be metal, and perhaps someone in the city or one of the Ostarians know's how to forge. If that be the case and Relikai would like to draw up the history in his character sheet then by all means we can work out a forge. But keep in mind, making a sword is a completely different animal than per say a necklace or a small knife, so there would have to be a reason why they had someone who knew how to do that on the colony ship. (not that I don't already have an idea or two ;) )

Also, I would like to make this clearer for everyone. The natives of Earth, are not primitive's or cavemen and women, they live by simpler means with lesser technology, but they are quite intelligent and resourceful. If they have made a decision as to not use something it would probably be decently reasoned, making the market for large weapons slightly smaller. In a Therianths mind I could see them asking "Why carry such a heavy piece of metal, when I can just use my claws, or teeth, or snap their necks?" Does this make sense?

I Know the Dark Delight of Being Strange, the Penalty of Difference in the Crowd, the Loneliness of Wisdom Among Fools

Relikai

Just throwing a suggestion, how about Magic being Druidic in nature, so that those who wield more metal would be unable to harness their magic?

Sunshine

Yes, folks. What those two said. :) We appreciate everyone's excitement, concern, and input but there is a reason that the rule is marked as being updated. We are working on the best possible way to level the playing fields for Ostarians in the category of weaponry.  Please be patient with us. We are doing the best we can.

full information on Magic and an update on weaponry will come today.

Thank you!!!!

Crash

I am going to back out of this for now and maybe check back in at a later date.  You are all in good hands with your GM's. I am just not coming up with character ideas that are muse worthy at the moment and don't want to force anything.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Sunshine

Quote from: Crash on July 21, 2016, 09:34:38 AM
I am going to back out of this for now and maybe check back in at a later date.  You are all in good hands with your GM's. I am just not coming up with character ideas that are muse worthy at the moment and don't want to force anything.

We definitely hope that once all the info is up and you see the approved character sheet start to pour in, that oyu will find something that tickles your fancy and come back to us.  We will miss you!

Lady Sakura

Quote from: Sunshine on July 21, 2016, 10:08:30 AM
We definitely hope that once all the info is up and you see the approved character sheet start to pour in, that oyu will find something that tickles your fancy and come back to us.  We will miss you!

+1 this!

:'(

Ceralilly

*hugs* I will post in our 1v1 asap. Xoxo

Lindrea

Quote from: Vampire Mistress Sakura on July 21, 2016, 10:13:38 AM
+1 this!

:'(

Crash will be missed. :(

May your muse be happy and healthy in everything you do, Crash! <3

Rafiki23

It sucks that you are going, I was hoping this would be my opportunity to write with you. At least you know I'll be hoping you come back soon! haha

Good luck though and we can't wait to see you again!

I Know the Dark Delight of Being Strange, the Penalty of Difference in the Crowd, the Loneliness of Wisdom Among Fools

Ceralilly

Lindrea

Oooo!  *reads*

Edit:  So.. say I made an older character, in her 30's, would that mean she'd have.. 10 powers divided up between three elements?  Also, how long would it take to master the fourth element?  Or is that just not possible at this point?

Ceralilly

Quote from: Lindrea on July 21, 2016, 03:14:52 PM
Oooo!  *reads*

Edit:  So.. say I made an older character, in her 30's, would that mean she'd have.. 10 powers divided up between three elements?  Also, how long would it take to master the fourth element?  Or is that just not possible at this point?
The fourth element is not available for mastery due to the physical toll that it takes to use the three. We also prefer to keep it at three of four to allow more diversity amongst the Artificers. ^_^

The Artificer Magical propensity would depend on her age starting training, lets assume 10 as is average. 30 years old would mean that she has studied for 20 years. So you say she has 20 years of training divided by 2 years of training per power. She would have 10 powers to divide between the three, yes.

(I just broke it down so that anyone reading along might get some insight. )

I was hoping this would be pretty straightforward, so I appreciate your question Lindrea! <3 Please ask away and we will be here to answer as quickly as possible.

Side note: I see all of you peeking in and I am very happy about this! Whether you are just curious, or you want to stake interest or book mark for future looksies, we are happy to have your attention! Please feel free to ask any questions and our PM is always open!

Lindrea

Quote from: Ceralilly on July 21, 2016, 03:39:12 PM
The fourth element is not available for mastery due to the physical toll that it takes to use the three. We also prefer to keep it at three of four to allow more diversity amongst the Artificers. ^_^

The Artificer Magical propensity would depend on her age starting training, lets assume 10 as is average. 30 years old would mean that she has studied for 20 years. So you say she has 20 years of training divided by 2 years of training per power. She would have 10 powers to divide between the three, yes.

(I just broke it down so that anyone reading along might get some insight. )

I was hoping this would be pretty straightforward, so I appreciate your question Lindrea! <3 Please ask away and we will be here to answer as quickly as possible.

Side note: I see all of you peeking in and I am very happy about this! Whether you are just curious, or you want to stake interest or book mark for future looksies, we are happy to have your attention! Please feel free to ask any questions and our PM is always open!

So, is there a maximum age that you'll allow an artificer/mage to be?  Cuz I was thinking about early 30's, around my actual age IRL.. cuz it's easier for me to RP my age. xD

Ceralilly

Quote from: Lindrea on July 21, 2016, 03:44:38 PM
So, is there a maximum age that you'll allow an artificer/mage to be?  Cuz I was thinking about early 30's, around my actual age IRL.. cuz it's easier for me to RP my age. xD

Oh yes the max is 35 for now. That will be in the character sheet.

So 30 is perfectly fine love.

Lindrea

Quote from: Ceralilly on July 21, 2016, 03:53:29 PM
Oh yes the max is 35 for now. That will be in the character sheet.

So 30 is perfectly fine love.

Awesome!  And 33, actually, hehe.  How will you handle odd numbers for training years?

Ceralilly

Quote from: Lindrea on July 21, 2016, 03:55:41 PM
Awesome!  And 33, actually, hehe.  How will you handle odd numbers for training years?

You add the powers in concession.

So if you have Fire, Water, and Air...they are added in that order. So at one point, with 10 powers... Fire may have 4 if it is your first element. But if she is 33 she would have 11 powers and a half a year training towards her 12th. Some in game practice here would be great! Does that make sense?

Lindrea

Quote from: Ceralilly on July 21, 2016, 04:01:38 PM
You add the powers in concession.

So if you have Fire, Water, and Air...they are added in that order. So at one point, with 10 powers... Fire may have 4 if it is your first element. But if she is 33 she would have 11 powers and a half a year training towards her 12th. Some in game practice here would be great! Does that make sense?

Ah, okay.  So round up, but the last power chosen isn't quite mastered!  Gotcha. ^.^