News:

Main Menu

The new Joker movie

Started by Invidiam, April 04, 2019, 03:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Invidiam

So, I tried looking for any topics discussing this and I didn't see any. If there is one, do let me know and I'll just delete this and join there.

Ever since it came out recently, I think I've rewatched the teaser trailer for the new Joker movie dozens of times. For those that haven't yet seen it, I definitely recommend checking it out: https://youtu.be/xRc3WviXk2M

It looks like it is going to be absolutely phenomenal, judging by the trailer. And it's amazing that it gives off that impression without really telling anything about what the movie is actually going to be about, which is something trailers really tend to miss nowadays. Joaquin Phoenix just looks so goddamn good in the role. He has clearly lost some weight for this role, resulting in a wonderfully creepy, skinny body that just has a chilling appearance to it. And he has absolutely nailed the tiny little micro-mannerisms that a good Joker has to have, everything from the smiles, the laugh, the exaggerated movements of a performer. Visually the movie is just looking absolutely amazing.

But of course, it's not just the visuals. From the little that we do see in the trailer, the movie looks far more like a psychological thriller/horror movie than a comic book movie, which I think is fantastic, because those genres certainly fit the character perfectly. There is clearly going to be a big focus on mental illness from what can be seen, as there should be.

Honestly, I just wanted to share this and see if anyone else wanted to discuss this, because I honestly find the trailer insanely inspiring for role play. I don't tend to be keen on doing roleplays with canon characters, but even if I don't intend on doing Joker himself in a roleplay, this definitely makes me want to do a roleplay based around a similar character. A man tormented by mental illness, who is driven by various factors into becoming something very dark. Someone who is on that border between tormented (potential) genius and outright insanity and just gets tipped over. Hell, the trailer just inspires me in a lot ways beyond that sort of character even. It's definitely brilliantly constructed.

Blythe

I am really hyped for Joaquin Phoenix's Joker. Visually, he looks on point, and that smile, man, that smile.

I think it's going to have that gritty sort of humor that needs to be in play for me to really feel the character.

"I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize...it's a comedy." And mid-sentence in the trailer he's hit by a car.  >_>

I can tell the dark humor is going to appeal to me.  ;D

This movie is definitely one I really want to see.