The Search for Miyeritar's Lost Light: D&D 3.5/Forgotten Realms

Started by Paladin101, June 08, 2014, 01:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EroticFantasyAuthor

Well I've had this character for quite a long time with many different versions throughout many RPG/MMOs video games. The reason I choose gnolls was that was always the race that threatened his hometown. As for the orcs and the drow, I've always thought those to be more of enemies for 'normal' elves. I believe in the Forgotten Realms, the 'normal' elves are the Moon Elves, always had thought that each subrace would have their own racial enemies. But unfortunately I do not have all that much knowledge of the Forgotten Realms. Do Orcs and Drow threaten Wood Elves, or is it another enemy? I've just always had gnolls in my head as his 'childhood' enemy, only reason.

Really, I want to choose whichever enemy that Wood Elves are known to have problems with in the Forgotten Realms.

Blinkin

Pretty much all elven types have problems with drow and orcs... although I'm not sure that there are actual distinctions between the actual races in FR aside from dark elves and light elves... which do you prefer? Light meat or dark meat? (Speaking of chickens here everyone)
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Hmm, I had always assumed that each elven subrace(Moon, Wild, Wood and Sun) would have their own different racial enemies.

A little disappointed that it's seeming to be 'one-size fits all' as far as their enemies go.

Nicolae

I believe that the enemies of different groups of elves would be divided up more regionally than by subrace. An Evereskan moon elf is going to face different enemies than a moon elf from the Moonwood, but a gold elf from Evereska would face the same enemies as the Evereskan moon elf..
O/O   Ideas

Jefepato

There are...*checks*...seven different types of elves in Faerun.  (Including drow, but not including various half-elves or fey'ri.)

But I imagine that most elf-hating people and races would not be tremendously interested in drawing a distinction between sun elves and moon elves, or whatever.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Well displaying my ignorance, I had always thought that each subrace kept mostly to themselves and each lived in different regions.

Paladin101

The subraces often mingle. Moon and Sun elves often live together, and sometimes wood elves will also live among them depending on the territory. Wild elves are more likely to live off alone, though wood elves and wild elves have alot in common so they could easily live together. Moon elves are "normal" elves, gold elves are the aristocrats and snooty, wood elves are more bound to the woods, ranger types, and wild elves are REALLY given over to nature, and don't care much for fancy shmancy cultural shit.

As for their enemies, the orcs are the traditional foes of the elves, all the way back to Gruumsh and Correlon fighting. As such those two races fight constantly. The drow are also obviously a frequent foe. If you were to come from the Misty Forest, or the High Forest, the two nearest homes of wood elves, then Orcs would be your most likely childhood foe as the High Moor is rife with them. The book lists undead, orcs, or drow as the accepted enemies of the elven kind that you can select. Gnolls are not noted foes of the elves, so I can't justify making them your favored foe with this substitution.

Landshark

Still time to get in here i hope i work some messed up hours so just got back to here. Still looking at a Cleric. Do we have a healer already if so i can change gears.

Paladin hope i can still make it under the wire. Get a bio up shortly

Paladin101

You've got some time. I'm working on my IC post in word at the moment before I start pruning through to pick the players, so you've got a bit. We do not have a healer as of yet that I know of, so a cleric would still be a superb choice.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Name: Alexonder Elaliathvan Grant

Character Age: 26

Deity: Solonar Thelandira

Sexual Preferences: Heterosexual

Morality: He has a good heart and enjoys helping people. He allows his heart to guide him in matters of right and wrong, rather than laws created by others. He is always attempting to follow Solonar Thelandira's teachings to the best of his abilities, living in harmony with nature. Being of average charisma, he always attempts to lead by example but will gladly teach and share his knowledge whenever the opportunity presents itself. He does have a dark side however, become a true threat to his family, friends and home(as well as sometimes even nature's balance) and you will see it. When pursuing a true threat, he can be utterly ruthless, showing no mercy. To put it simply; threats to those he loves will be neutralized. The loss of a loved of has the potential of gradually turning him evil as he seeks vengeance.

Background: He grew up in a rather large Wood Elven town situated within a sylvan forest. Born to a wood elven druid and human ranger, his upbringing was spent in a loving environment. He did not experience the hardships that alot of other half-elves do, thanks in part by growing up in the same town that his mother and grandfather had been raised in and called home for a good portion of their lives. Early on his interest was captured both by nature and the forests surrounding the town as well as the archery his grandfather wielded so skillfully. From the moment he could walk he had always attempted to explore. His family never attempted to hinder this, just made sure he was safe and protected. He was most often under the supervision of a stealthy family member, usually his mother's elven hound. As he grew, the more of the forest became known to him, every tree, every clearing, every pond and stream.

When he was not exploring, he was watching his grandfather and father train the older elves. His grandfather being the town's Master of Archery and Militia High Commander, one of his many duties was to teach the ways of the bow. His father possessing the honored title of Ruatha, was quite skilled in two-weapon fighting rather than archery, he taught any who wished to gain skill with light blades. His grandfather always encouraging his interest in archery, first giving him a small practice bow and arrows as soon as he was old enough. He was always eager to learn more and could barely wait for the day when he could hold a real bow. His grandfather was surprised with how quickly he had mastered the practice bow, but even still told him he had to continue to use it; one of the many techniques employed with the intention of instilling in him the fabled elven patience.

The town's primary deity is Solonar Thelandira, with Silvanus and Mielikki being almost as closely revered. Like many things, the Deitys' teachings were started at an early age. The Great Archer's dogma was embraced easily, helped by his family and fellow townsfolk providing a great example. Finally the day had come for him to be given a real bow and real arrows, his true training starting with a hunting trip. The hunting trip was also a test. A test in which he proved that he had not only learned all that had been taught to him at that point, but had taken it to heart and mastered it, knowledge, religious guidance, techniques and weapon skill. With that first kill, he assisted in everything that went along with preparing the animal, not a single bit of it was wasted. The very day he came of age, he eagerly joined the town's militia.

It was during these years as a member of the militia that he truly began perfected his skills as he did his part to protect that town for those that would threaten it. In carrying out this mission he was both ruthless and efficient. Even more so than his family and fellow militia members, true threats to the town were shown no mercy. After several years his wanderlust began to grow and he considered starting his adventuring career. He had always wanted to be an adventurer, to explore the world, help those he can and create great stories to share with his family upon his return home. His grandparents and parents were all retired adventurers(as were several fellow townsfolk), he grew up on their wonderful stories and yearned for the day when he could make his own. It was with a fond farewell that he left the town, intending to eventually return just as his parents and grandparents had done when their adventuring came to an end.

Jefepato

My character sheet (on page 2) has been updated with background and such.  I still need to finish buying mundane equipment, which is always the most annoying part...

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Landshark

Name: Tobias Rasmussin Dengotto (Toby)
Race: Halfling
Deity: Tymora
Orientation: Heterosexual

Morality:
Toby is the ultimate best friend. He is cheerful, inspirational and all around maker of merriment. He cant stand to see people unhappy and gladly goes out of his way to help friend and stranger alike. This can make him seem naive at times but to Toby if he gives a few copper to a begger who didnt actually need it then it was his lucky day. Never one to whine about whats been lost and always happy to cheer whats been gained Toby sees everything as the desire of the Goddess. Thankfully he doesnt brow beat, as many of the clergy are oft to do. Toby believes that everyone can change their pth in life though unfortunately he does draw the line when it comes to goblinoids. Goblinoids are goblinoids thats all there it too it. The wilder and more crazy a plan the more he likes it but to tell the truth he doesnt do plans well. Should Toby ever deside that someone is never going to change And that they are a threat to others he has no pity. The sweet little boy who helps old ladies cross the road and rescues puppies turns into an exterminator. This will never be more true should he discover a follower of Beshaba where upon the 2 will attack each other on sight.

History:
Born in Mistledale in the town of Ashabenford  Tobias Rasmussin Dengotto or Toby as he is most commonly known was a pretty average Halfling. Though not a community known for its Halflings his mother was a loved addition to the town. She ran a small business of cleaning clothes and rented an extra room to travelers looking for a more homey feel over an inn. Having never known his father Toby tended to latch on to the many men that stayed at the house and delighted in their stories of far off lands and strange peoples. Even for a Halfling he was terribly small and as such he was left to play and tend to his studies instead of manual labor. Many of the men who stayed at the home were regulars who passed through on a regular travel cycle and for Toby they became as much family as his mother and older sisters referring to them as uncles.

Having always been kind of the runt of the litter, especially in a mostly human town, Toby was considered almost like a child of the village. He was a delightful child and loved to make people laugh. He always seemed to be in the right place right when he was needed and he escaped more horrible possibilities than any child should have. So much did this happen that people started to consider him a good luck charm. He always seemed to find that lost thing that you needed when he visited and you can bet that when he showed up something would go your way.

This eventually got the attention of the local shrine to Tymora. They invited him in and after catching the small statue dedicated to the Goddess from falling to the floor, it was seen as a sign of his destiny to be one of her chosen. His studies were broad and he quickly grew to love his new place in the town. As an acolyte he tried to spread the word to caravans that passed through and helped as best he could where needed. Finally one day he decided to take up the canon and assert one of Tymoras great teachings. That of “Fortune Favors the Bold” and marched off to new lands and new people spreading the work of the Goddess of Luck.  Who better to administer to than those brave souls that tested their luck on regular basis, the adventurer. Over the next few years he fell into many adventuring groups and once he had shown them what could about the wonder of Tymora.

Blinkin

Toby's halfling mother ran a "small" business?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Landshark

heheh yeah...if and when he gets played the character will really start to wonder about Mom. She ummm had men stay there a lot and umm...sometimes they stayed in her room. This is a character i played in 2nd ed and His Mom was liberal shall we say. Hence the real reason for all of his "uncles" Toby acts like he has no idea. This brought up a big question in our game as to who the hell Tobys dad was since it seemed no one really knew.

Blinkin

Those darned Halfings, they are such party animals! And to be a liberal halfling is to REALLY be liberal. The only more liberal thing than a Halfling is a Kender... Hey, can I play a Kender??? lol
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Landshark

aside from the kleptomania I basically play Toby as a Kender

Isengrad

Simon
6th level Human binder
Biography
Simon grew up the whipping boy for some Nobles spoiled son in none other then the city of splendors,Waterdeep;His parents having given him up in exchange for forgiveness of their debt to him the son seemed to delight getting in trouble to make Simon suffer, taking delight in the wiping his proxy endured. The only thing that made it worth while was the library. Whenever Simon could he would slip away from the fat foppish son and steal into the library. The father being an avid collector of magical tomes, despite the fact that Simon was sure that the man never once read anything more the the Daily business report or something like that.As he grew up the time he spent in the library reading what books he could get his hands on. His life was not all torture though, as a whipping boy he was educated with the son(he figures he got more out of it then the noble did) and was dressed and fed well, still he longed for the days he could leave.

As the years progressed he learned what he could, and found he could spend more time in the library then when he was younger. Still the son found ways to make his life hell. It was all worth it when the lord acquired the one book that would change his life. Old and tattered the noble had only bought it because of how high it was priced. It introduced Simon to a form of magic he had never read about before, about spirits that existed somewhere beyond the realms. He spent years studying that book until one night he finally made contact.

"I call upon you Naberius, The Grinning Hound. I am the vessel ready to be filled. Grant to me your power and I shall host your being so that you once again my experience Life." he intoned, his words seemed to echo in the darkness of his room. A few heart beats passed and he thought he had failed once again.

Then a noise caught his ear, a flapping of wings and seemingly out of the darkness a black crane swooped above the seal to falter then crash down upon it seemingly dead. Simons breath caught in his throat, had he done it, had he actually made contact? he felt a presence, like some huge beast was lurking just beyond where he could see. Then the night seemed to part around the beast as it stepped into the circle. A great hound, which upon its shoulders sat 3 great heads. The center head and the right one began to tear the flesh of crane as the left one spoke.

"Who has called my name? and requested my power?" he asked Hoarsely. Simon swallowed hard and Spoke his Name. The beast regarded him for a moment, its eyes staring into his, staring through him for what seemed like an eternity."Very well, Host me and i shall grant you power"

With that the beast faded with the seal and Simon felt a new rush of power "Do not disappoint." spoke the vestige in his mind. "I won't" he responded out loud, surprised by how deep and grating his voice became.

That night the Nobles Son left the house, he was questioned once about where he was going and why he sounded different, but it was a simple matter of telling them he had just come down with something and was on his way out to see a healer. How surprised they were when the next morning the Son showed no recollection of his midnight excursion to a healer and even more strange that Simon could not be found.

Morality & Sexuality
Simon tries to generally be a good person. He helps out when and where he can, offering his services to those that can pay and those that just need it. He has little tolerance of those that would beat or abuse a child or someone grossly weaker then themselves. On a few occasions he had gotten himself in trouble standing up for those that could not or would not stand up for themselves. He has been called many names, some even call for his blood before they get to know him. However he has found solace in the casual worship of Mystra, goddess of the weave. After all does not all magic work through her whether divine or arcane. Would it not make sense that the entities that he parleys with draw from that same source? 

In times where he feels just how cold the wind is, and needs the warmth of another living being against his skin Simon has sought comfort in the arms of both Men and Women. After all, the world is large and to people like him it can be cruel. it's better to take what comfort you can from the people that offer.

Statblock
Simon
Male Ng Human Binder, Level 6, Init +4, HP 55/55, Speed 30/20
AC 20, Touch 13, Flat-footed 18, Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +7, Base Attack Bonus 4   
  +1 Bastard Sword +7 (1d10+2, 19-20/x2)
Focalor vestige: Ref Half Dc17 Lightning Strike (-) - (3d6, -)
1 target, blinds/ Dc 17 fort negates Focalors breath (must wait 5 rounds before I can use it again) - (-, -)
  +2 breastplate (+7 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Misc)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 19
Condition None

original artwork by karabiner

Jefepato

Quote from: Landshark on June 10, 2014, 06:32:20 PM
aside from the kleptomania I basically play Toby as a Kender
The 3rd-edition version of halflings basically are kender without the kleptomania.

And by "without the kleptomania" I mean "not quite as blatant about the kleptomania."  Some of the books (e.g. Races of the Wild) present theft as a normal part of halfling culture.

Autocad

So many halflings! Let's hope they're good with their tongues or else there'll be some very disappointed women.

Also, I have a flow chart for determining where RPs go:

1) Does it feature a (tentacle, but you can also substitute your favourite non-humanoid type here) monster that, given the chance, will ravish the party?
Yes -> NC Exotic
No -> Go to (2)

2) Does it feature humanoid foes that, given the chance, will ravish the party?
Yes -> NC Human
No -> Don't be a wuss Bondage Human or Light Human

And while we're on the topic of nookie, is anyone interested in a wild barbarian (literal) chick?  ;D

Anon315

My elf might be but I doubt she would be interested in such a frail and weak thing. Your post seemed to convey that.

Isengrad

me and most of my characters follow the concept of hedonism. The doctrine that pleasure is the principal good. To get you have to give soooo...yeah.

original artwork by karabiner

Anon315

A good philosophy. *sage nod*

If everyone just had more sex, I think the world would be more peaceful. Except those who have sex with the wrong people. (i.e. someone else's spouse) they'd prolly still get beat.

Paladin101

And our Cast of Heros thus far is:

Rubyslippers: Garnet Green  Scout

Blinkin: Jason Monroe  Swashbuckler

Muse: Kili  Ranger/Wizard

Autocad: Talethi  Barbarian

Jefepato: Eric Nysel  Crusader

EroticFantasyAuthor: Alexonder Elaliathvan Grant Ranger

Calrond: Viktor Romanov  Generalist Wizard

Isengrad: Simon Binder

Landshark: Tobias Rasmussin Dengotto (Toby) Cleric

Maybe List:

Anon315: Arilyn Auvreanea

Wait List:

Rajah

Anon, of the two wizards I put the one with a complete sheet into the party. That placed the party at 9 people. 10 is the max I will go to, so if you want to make the stat sheet and submit it to me, I will prolly throw you into the party as well

Muse: Please add more flesh and detail to your background. It's the shortest damn background I've ever seen. lol. Need some meat I can sink my DM teeth into!

Everyone Else: Once you have finished your sheets, feel free to post in the IC thread, or OOC thread, which I will be creating momentarily. Also those accepted please place your character sheets in the Character Sheet thread I will be making for it and linking shortly.

Anon315

I shall have it up in... About an hour and a half. Just getting off work, getting groceries and dinner then will do so.