White Wolf releasing a new game

Started by Swedish Steel, February 24, 2007, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swedish Steel

White Wolf is releasing a new game (and no, this is not another thread about vampires with schlongs). It is called Scion and as far as I can tell it is about the mortal offspring of the Gods. Could be fun, anyone know more about it?
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

MechanicalImpulses

I'm putting my money on the fact that its going to be like exalted but in modern times,  but thats just my guess.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8276.0 Ons and offs

Switch with heavy submissive tendencies.

I found my cattleprod!

ZK

Basically yeah, but with Greek and Roman gods giving you power.

Sounds interesting, but not my cup of tea, I'd rather have Exalted in the First and Second Age.

Also...

one good thing about it.

God of War Modern

Scion: Kratos.

^.^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Solace

Actually, it's not just Greek and Roman gods...  They just comprise one of the Six pantheons (think clans).  Ragnarok, Ancient Egypt, Japan, Central America and the final grouping of West Africa, Caribbean and South America produce the other Pantheons.

http://www.white-wolf.com/scion/index.php?line=news&articleid=657

Sounds interesting.  :)
"As the bombshells of my daily fears explode, I try to trace them to my youth." - Indigo Girls, 'Galileo'

ZK

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Vandren

Depends on how well they actually research their background material.  They've had issues in the past when they've delved into mythology (primarily in dealing with Egyptian, Near Eastern and Greek).
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Celestial Goblin

I have hopes for this game.
Those hopes include, for example, acces to ICBM as a 3 or 4 dot background.
5 dots should give you something better than ICBM.

Swedish Steel

Oh yes, I need at least a couple of those.

On Off page:

MechanicalImpulses

I found my cattleprod!

Swedish Steel

Inter Continental Balistic Missile? That would be my guess, though I'm not quite sure.

On Off page:

Celestial Goblin

Yeah. One of the few mortal-made equipment types that a god can care to use.

HairyHeretic

I think I'll stick with Exalted myself.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ZK

Sounds like an interesting idea, but if it is a part of the WoD, it'll be screwed up.

If a stand alone title, it'll be fine with my palette. I want the new Changeling book now, dammit.

Swedish Steel

It's not part of WoD...I think. I also want Changeling. Part Fairy Tail, part Horror...how could you go wrong?

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

I never played Changeling, but I'd like to. I think I'd make a pretty good Troll.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MechanicalImpulses

Well Promethian was pretty good so I have my hopes for changeling...

I found my cattleprod!

Swedish Steel

I once had some very ambitious ideas for a Changeling game here on E, but I came to my senses. I do think I'm perfect for the role as a Satyr though.

On Off page:

ZK

Changeling: The Dreaming? I own all released material for 1st and 2nd Edition. Hard and soft covers.

Swedish Steel

I had it all on pdf, untill my hard drive desided to go all Roy Batty on me. Curse him and his damn eloquence!

On Off page:

Solace

The closest I ever got to Changeling was the Dark Ages:Fae sourcebook.  *sigh*

Mind you, it was still a great book.
"As the bombshells of my daily fears explode, I try to trace them to my youth." - Indigo Girls, 'Galileo'

Swedish Steel

That one I never managed to get my hands on.

On Off page:

Goblinmoon

oooh there's a new Changeling coming out?  I have all of them too I think, minus one kithbook, and the kithbook on Boggins that WW denied us.

I picked up Deliria but haven't really gotten to play it. 

ZK

Yes, a new Changeling is coming out for the nWoD. Woot. Yeah, I asked Conrad about it. You know, they were nearly complete in production, it just never made print because it didn't sell.

They wanted to wash their hands clean of it...until the release of what they thought would be bad. Dark Ages: Fae and Exalted: The Fair Folk.

People loved the games so much, they HAD to release it for nWoD, people were demanding it.

The back of the Promethean: The Created book is a black picture with

"Changeling"

Coming in 2007.

http://www.white-wolf.com/changeling/

Goblinmoon

They've put up a bit more info on Changeling.  Looks like the new main book will be released in July at Origins in Ohio.

Also, friend picked up Scion by WW, and that's looking pretty cool too!

NightBird

*chuckles* The NYT bestseller status of the Merry Gentry series certainly didn't hurt the interest in faerie as a fiction and rp concept.

I'll have to stop by their booth at the con...

HairyHeretic

From what I've seen they've seriously changed the slant on Changeling, making it sound a lot darker. I'm not sure I like that.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

No, me neither. The old version was dark enough. What you need is the perfect mix of the magic of a fairytail and the darkness that originally were present in almost all of those fairytails. I mean, have you heard the original version of the Red Riding Hood as told in some east european countries? It's disturbing enough to give a grown man nightmares. Lots of sexual inuendo in it too.
Anyway, I thought the old Changeling had a good mix of that, though it could perhaps be just a little bit darker. But take away all the magic and wonder and the game seriously lose it's appeal. Let's hope it's not that bad.

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

I don't mind a bit of dark fantasy, but Changeling had always seemed more ... heroic, for lack of a better term. Going from the current version, to one where you were someone abducted and changed against your will ... that just changes things too much for my liking.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

It's more true to the title though. :)

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

Yes and no. From what I remember of my folklore, the Changelings were generally the babies left behind in place of human ones. This new edition seems to be focusing on the babies that were taken, not the ones that were left .. if that makes sense?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

No, not really. Shouldn't it be the other way around? That's probably how I'll GM it in anyway. A mythical creature raised by humans seem far more interesting than a human raised by mythical creatures, at least to me.
We actually have alot of old stories about babies being swapped with troll babies here in Scandinavia. It's called "Bergtagen", wich roughly translates to "Taken by the mountain", or maybe "Stolen by the mountain". I found those stories quite interesting when I was a wee lad.

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

Thats kinda my point. The current Changeling game focuses on the ones raised as human who then discover that they're not human, opening whole new worlds of magic and mystery.

The new game, from the description I've seen of it, seems to focus on the human children that were taken, changed and enslaved. I don't know what way the world will play out, or how they'll changes the various kiths given that perspective, but the feel of it seems very different.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

A pity. I am pretty set in my ways though, so I'll probably just keep on trucking as I've always have. :)

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

Its a game I'd always wanted to play, but never got the opportunity to.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

There was a game started on RPOL, but it seems to have died unfortunately.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

I was once going to start a game here, had it all thought out, but it fizzled and died before I even posted once. :)

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

I think we talked about that a while back.

There's a few games I'd like to try, but my group don't seem all that fussed on, or that I'd end being the one running them.

Picked up one called Qin a few months back, roleplaying in mythic China, and I did up a slightly deranged appearing exorcist. We tried the intro scenario, and that was a lot of fun, but none of the others want to run it, and I'd much rather play that one. If I was running it, playing a campaign based on the Water Margin could be a lot of fun, or maybe incorporating a few elements from Journey to the West.

I'd like to try the 40k RPG when that comes out, but I know for a fact my group will have no interest in it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Swedish Steel

That always sucks. Good gaming groups are hard to find.

On Off page:

HairyHeretic

Don't get me wrong, its a good group. I've been playing with a couple of them for about 8 years now, the rest not that much less. Most of the games we like are the same, but there are a few I'd like to try that just don't appeal to them.

At present we have L5R City of Lies campaigning (running over 2 years, now nearly done), Exalted, Shadowrun and D&D-Iron Kingdoms going regularly (though I don't play the latter two games), with another handfull of games we play as short sessions for a week or three .. Feng Shui, Riddle of Steel, and so on.

Its mostly myself and one other guy who alternate GM, and next month he moves back to Uppsala, so our format will be changing somewhat. He runs the Exalted campaign, and wants to keep it going, possibly online. Since our two main weekend games will be finishing up, we're looking at replacements. I have an eye towards running a Dresden Files-ish game, using the nWoD rules, and we gave Necessary Evil a go as well (just the intro scenario). The others want me to keep L5R going, but I don't have a campaign planed for post- City of Lies.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Celestial Goblin

Quote from: hairyheretic on May 25, 2007, 07:46:58 AM
I'd like to try the 40k RPG when that comes out, but I know for a fact my group will have no interest in it.

Hey, I will be interested. We can get together for  game trough forums or real time trough IRC for that.

HairyHeretic

Cool. We'll see how things are when it comes out .. next year isn't it?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Goblinmoon

I haven't read more specifics on new changeling, but there's a story there too in the human side of things.  If you were a human child kidnapped to live among the fae, you'd have to learn how to adapt to survive.  There's lots of stories about fae kidnapping minstrels, women, men, etc...

Check out Scion too.  We played a bit in it... Mostly typical WW system, but modern day children of the gods.  Seems pretty good so far.

Yeah good gaming groups are hard to find.  We've been trying to put one together since we moved to this part of Florida... Its not easy.

Eyeomancer

Here's the offical description of the new setting:

QuoteThe protagonists of this modern fairy tale are the changelings, or as they often call themselves, the Lost. Stolen away from their human lives as children or adults, they spent what seemed like years or even centuries in Faerie, chattel to beautiful but inhuman lords and ladies. Fed on faerie food and drink, they gradually became more fae themselves, their bodies shifting slightly to reflect their roles. Some, however, managed to escape. Holding on to their memories of home, they found their way through the winding thorns of the Hedge, the barrier between the mortal world and time-twisted Faerie.

Their return, however, was all too bittersweet. Some came back twenty years after they'd first vanished, even though it had never seemed that long to them in Faerie. Others who had reached adulthood in Arcadia found that they returned only a few hours after their abduction. And almost all found, horribly enough, that they weren't missed. The Fae had been thorough. Left in the stead of each abducted changeling was a replica, a simulacrum, a thing that looked like him or her — but wasn't. Now, with inhuman strangers living their lives and nowhere to go, the Lost must find their own way in the world that was stolen from them.

Changeling deals with the struggles and dreams of people who are no longer what they were, their mortal flesh interwoven with fae magic. An illusion called the Mask obscures their remade physical bodies, allowing them to pass for humans — a word that doesn't apply to them any more. The contrast between the reality of the mortal world and the unreality of Faerie colors their stories, in ways that often express as beauty, madness or both.

The beauty referred to almost goes without saying. Faerie is beautiful. It isn't kindly, or nurturing, or benevolent, but it is wondrously beautiful. The same is true for its children, both those that were born of its unreal matter and those mortals that were abducted and nursed on its magic. Even a hideous Ogre may have some strangely sketched artistry to its asymmetrical features, and even a Darkling of disturbing mien may have an elegantly hypnotic grace or cold, frank sexuality. But as the Lost move among the mortal world, trying to recover their old lives or draw enough Glamour to sustain themselves, they become aware of the beautiful things that mortals often take for granted. To a changeling, there is beauty in the grief hanging over the funeral of a good man, or in the awkward way a young girl twists her hands at a school dance. They see things nobody else does — not simply because they can, but because they try.

The madness inherent to a changeling's existence is also twofold. Part is external. Changelings too often cross paths with things of Faerie and the Hedge — strange, creeping things that should not be, that defy human rationality. The Others themselves can only be described as "mad," for surely they subscribe to no mortal definition of sanity. But an equally great threat comes from within. The threshold between dream and reality, between Faerie and mortality, is easily crossed… and a changeling doesn't always know which side of the threshold she stands on.

I don't tabletop game myself, but I enjoy reading roleplaying books.  Mostly they're a huge source of inspiration for my writing and online games, but they also have some very pretty art, so I'm a little familiar with the White Wolf Product.  I like the concept behind this Changeling game moreso than the previous.  The original product line, Vampire, Mage, and Werewolf all had very dark and gritty tones that didn't seem to jive well with what Changeline tried to introduce, especially since the old writing team incoporated all of their games into the same product line; ie, you could run a huge game with one character playing vampires, others werewolves, and so on.  The new settings seems a lot tighter, with a lot more unification of themes, systems, and ideas, so it makes for easier stories and a lot neater fit between the various types.  It is even much less implicit that all of the entities inhabit the same universe, wherein the other it was more or less assumed.

I plan on picking up the new Changeling book, and if I like it well enough to use it for inspiration, may downsize my collection of old Changeling supplements (though I'll keep the Dreaming core book because the art is breath-taking, honestly).

HairyHeretic

I have the other new core books, I may pick this up for sake of completeness.

Cattle die, kinsmen die