Students And Teachers

Started by Huntress, November 11, 2008, 12:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minkus

((I hate my ISP - sorry for that hiatus.  IF I disappear, it's not on purpose.  Response coming))

Minkus

The blood drained from his face, and Austin got out and awaited Tali's exit.  When she reappeared, he simply told her,  "Get in the car, Tali.  The adults need to talk."

Closing Tali's door behind him, Austin appraoched the woman.  "Madam, I have no idea how this place is run, nor do I care at the moment.  Your actions are appalling.  By shouting the name of that young woman at the top of her lungs you reprimanded her with no concern for anyone who might overhear.  Furthermore, that young woman's self-respect is already low enough, you're NOT helping.  I have no idea what she had set up with you, but expecting a SCHOOL STUDENT to return daily at three in the afternoon is laughable.  She's an intelligent young owman, and I'm certain you told her that regularly.  Don't let your skin come to match your tone, I feel a frost in the air."

Returning to his car, and ignoring the woman's shouted responses, Austin simply drove away, unsure of the destination.

Priest

Damien; with the paper still in hand, got out of the car with a frown and leaned on the roof of the vehicle following the lead of his friend he spoke;

“Madam.  What kind of language is that to use?” He fiddled with his glasses, trying to get them to sit straight on his nose but his hand was shaking a little with annoyance.  He was angry, maybe not completely because of this woman’s corrosive attitude but more so because he had been disturbed as he had reached some revelation in the paper and now he had lost his flow; he hated that; and because of that he had a dislike for her, even though he hadn’t met her before now.

“You are a disgrace.” he thumbed his nose at her and turned back and returned to his seat.  He looked at his friend in the mirror and then at Tali.  “I have never met such a vile woman, I can see why you worried about her reaction.  Damien turned towards Austin and watched his eyes in the mirror.  “So, where now?” aware that they were driving with no clear direction.

Minkus

"Well said Doc."  And now we have a homeless student.  Great.  He turned right at a red, heading towards a row of commercial areas.  "Well, it might be a bit early for a full meal, but it's never too early for ice cream.  I think a sundae would be good.  My treat."

He let his eyes communicate to Damien his confusion and the simple fact that he didn't know what to do.  But hey, sundaes are good.  "And hey, then we can figure out what to dom right?"

Priest

Damien watched the scenery roll by as they drove towards the central areas; he turned back at his friend.  “I think over a sundae we could put the worlds to rights; especially if your buying.”  The smile returned to his face and he glanced across at Tali.

“Don’t worry, we will sort this mess out.” He smiled and returned to the paper; trying to find where he had reached.

Minkus

"Ah, there it is, Sunny's Sundae's.  Don't know who named it - they ought to be shot, but it's a good little hole in the wall."  Austin parked the car, and turned to his companions.  "Tali, if you're not entirely comfortable eating with a couple of your teachers, now would be a good time to speak up, or at least before we get into the building."

And without really waiting for a response, he opened his door and stood up.  Turnign back to the interior, facing away from the windy day, he mentioned to Damien, "And I have a copy of that at my apartment, so don't worry about gettign ice cream on it!"

Huntress

Tali smiled softly, pulling her sweatshirt tighter around her as she shivered. "Thank you," She blushed. She tried to tug down her skirt but it just rode up

Priest

They pulled up outside of Sunny Sundae’s ; Damien smiled, he recalled the competition they had the day it had opened to name the place; he had never expected to win with that suggestion but he had, and he had enjoyed a months worth of free ice cream for his trouble.

Damien cast his friend a wry glance and with a smile he folded the paper and slipped it inside his jacket.  Once outside of the car he glanced back at Tali and held the door open.  “Do you want to come in with us or shall we bring you something back?” he asked.

Huntress

Tali smiled. "I'll come, if that's okay. Is it?" Her eyes widened in fear that they would strike her or lecture her.

Priest

Doctor Tivoli just smiled and pushed his glasses further up his nose with his index finger as they slipped again.

"Of course its alright Tali, we shall discuss what is best to be done over an ice-cream." He chuckled to himself and patted the paper as it nestled in his pocket, he walked towards his friend; his face adopting a more ernest expression.  "Well old friend, just what shall we do?"

Huntress

Tali followed them in as they were all seated and ordered. As her ice cream arrived, she looked at it wide-eyed in amazement. "it's so pretty!" she laughed, looking at the rainbow sherbet in the clear glass. As she ate, she thought about what would happen.

Minkus

Making sure to keep his face cheerfully neutral, Austin looked first to Tali's relatively innocent enjoyment of the simple treat, and resoponded to Damien, "Well Doc, seems to me we have a responsibility to our students to make sure they're taken care of."

He played with the straw in his water, not touching the menu yet.  "So, simply put, Maslow's needs give us a starting point.  First thing we need to do if figure out where our pupil will be sleeping.  Roof over her head, dry bed, all that.  Hmm.  Well, I don't have too big of a nest egg put away, but I suppose we could check her into a motel for a night, at least until we work something out.  Actually.  Tali, how much do you have?  I mean, how long could you be by yourself before we'd have to contact child services?"  The last part he almost muttered to himself, unsure of how to proceed.

Huntress

Tali looked up. "I don't have any money...Anything I made at work went right to the shelter." She blushed. "I don't know what to do, or where to go.... There really aren't any others nearby." She looked down at her ice cream, mood suddely soured. She seemed to hope she would be able to stay with her teachers. "i don't know what to do," she whispered, more to herself. "i don't have anyone, or anywhere, to go."

Minkus

"Well, we'll figure something out, don't worry about that Tali.  What kind of work can you do, anyway?  Maybe we can help you get a job, some money flow, you know?  If you need an address, I'm usre it'd be fine to use one of ours, we could just get the mail to you at school, if you like." 

He tried to be reassuring, but he was truly at a loss as to what to do.  She was, after all, a student, but he had been her age not so long ago, and he really didn't know how he would react to something like this.  He still felt like just a kid, sometimes, and kenw this couldn't be anything but hard on her, maybe traumatizing.  Well, support system was what she needed, and that was him and Damien right now, that's fine.

Priest

Damien nodded at his friends first comment; true enough, their professional sense of duty would have to come in to play, they couldn’t knowingly see a student thrown out onto the street with nowhere to go and not a penny to her name.   For a while he studied the menu with a similar attention to detail as he had been thumbing through the papers in the car on the way over; but all through it he was working over ideas in his head.

“A motel would be one option.  I have some put aside for that trip I am planning on taking; I guess I could always dip into that; go halves with you or something.”  he slowly turned his glass round and around leaving a pattern of concentric circles of moisture on the tabletop.  “Motels are expensive though; and that would only be a temporary stop gap.”

Damien cast a furtive glance across to his friend;  “There is another option.” even as he spoke he was feeling unsure and slightly uncomfortable at the suggestion he was going to make. “My place;” the words hung for a moment, “Well its big enough and ever since I inherited it I have been rattling around that place on my own.  There would be enough room, could make up one of the spare bedrooms.  Tali could stop there a couple of nights until we can get something more of a permanent solution.”  He frowned as he continued looking across the menu; he wasn’t sure if it was even right for a teacher to offer to put up a student.  “Actually Austin, you are more than welcome to stay over too; we can go through these papers and I can get the pictures printed.”  He felt more comfortable extending the same offer to his friend.

Huntress

"That sounds...fine" Tali stammered. She was unsure but she liked the idea in theory. They were her favorite teachers, after all. "Would you be all right with that? I mean, you'd probably have to become my guardians, or something."

Minkus

Austin's eyes narrowed as the suggestion, and it's acceptance, hit him.  "Well, it is a solution, and it would be a good chance to chat.  And it would be saving money.  But... Tali, since you're eighteen...I think you are, yes?  We wouldn't be your guardians, you're old enough.  But...well, we are your teachers...so...this would have to be discussed with no one.  Ever."  He looked to both of them to gauge their reactions, and let it sink in a bit.

"On a lighter note, I think I'd like some caramel."  He smiled, hopign to at least give the impression that, even if they were all a bit uncomfotable about the housing scheme, he was happy to be enjoying their company for ice cream.

Trieste

This topic will be placed on hold; details can be found in Huntress' intro thread.