News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Request for discussion: Religion and Violence

Started by zoarster, October 15, 2010, 10:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoarster

First off, to the mods: I apologize if I'm putting this request in the wrong place or if it is against the concept of the "discussions" on E. This is a topic I'd really like to have an in-depth discussion on and I couldn't find another place to advertise for a partner... if you feel the need to nix the topic, please do so, but please PM me and let me know a better venue. Thanks in advance.

Now, to the meat of things--I would like a partner to discuss the nexus of religion and violence. This idea came up in some measure during our discussions in the forum regarding the so-called Ground Zero Mosque, but I would really like to take a deeper look at the topic.

Since in the modern context the linkage between violent religion and Islamic extremism is inevitable, I believe that would be a good starting point for our discussion. That said, however, I would like to go past that to talk about violence in other religions and use all of that as a springboard for the discussion of violence and religion in general. Are the two inexplicably linked? &c &c. Please PM me if you have an interest in discussing formally on the board.

Wolfvein720

Hi there. I have just join E today, and I believe that this should be an interesting topic to talk about. If you're still interested, I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

Kane

Hi Wolfvein! Don't be holding your breath, this thread was started 4 years ago and the person who started it, last posted half a year ago on these forums.
Though if you are interested in discussing the topic, maybe try and find someone else to discuss it with? (Or you could try and PM the OP if you want to try your luck with that.)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

kylie

A little confused if you mean for this to be public or private entry -- can there be only one?  Or is it just seeking one very committed long-term person and others can come and go?  (Though too often I find people gripe that those who do come and go in such situations, haven't been following every minute for weeks, ha.) 

Or are we generally setting aside parts of P&R specifically for people to have closed debates with fixed lists of participants now?  Or IS there a board for more closed debates of such things, indeed?  (Blogs, maybe?)  Maybe I'm just a little confused about the organization myself.    Edits.  Ack.  Forgot there is a separate Dialogues thing already.  Sorry.

I might toss in a few words here or there if it were welcoming to anyone.  But I doubt I would go on and on, as I feel talks about religion per se tend to lose the original focus for me quickly -- often with more "fixated" people bringing up all sorts of derails, false equiivalences, and criteria I just would never agree to argue with.  Maybe I'd be more keen if parameters for when to cover what how, were better fixed in advance and actually followed more often.  So this is perhaps also my way of saying:  I don't mind broad topics recurring but still...  Good luck settling on the same points of focus for long?   :P