News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote from: Oniya on October 09, 2010, 06:36:31 PM
I recall seeing actual novels set in the universe.   I wonder if any of them could be worked into a game storyline.

Funny you say that, as Reach is based off the novel that preluded the first game, though it's from a very different perspective...

It was like a biography, really, following John, or 'Master Chief', from before he was even a sperm cell (yes, they had plans for him before he was even technically in existence) right up to the opening of the first Halo game and the discovery of one of the Halo instillations.

In that period, we see his childhood, his kidnapping, bonding with his few hundred fellow super children, rising to be their leader, and when they get old enough, they undergo some pretty radical enhancements, put on so many drugs to induce growth, even going as far as to put armoured plating on their bones (I think, at least... grafting of some kind was involved)

Only about 32 of them survived all of this, if I'm correct... insanely powerful bodies, perfect obedience, highly intelligent, nerves of steel... these guys were above and beyond anything else even before their Mjolnir armour came about. Once they started testing that, the Covenant showed up (Spartan's were originally to fight rebel's) and their shielding technology was then adapted.

The book ends with John fleeing Reach, under the assumption that he is the last survivor of the Spartans (later proven wrong) and carrying the data that the Covenant fought so hard for... he doesn't know what it is. No one really does. But Cortana, having intuition skills borderlining prophecy (that's kind of her thing, notice how much importance she puts into seemingly mundane choices, like choosing Noble 6? She's an accident of science, an A.I. so advance she can almost see the future) decides to get a Slipspace jump out of that data... and is lead to the first Halo.

Cue the beginning of the first game.

Wolfy

Soo..if 32 survived...where at the other Spartans 1-16 and 18-32? Dead? o3o

Sabby

32 survived the training and operations (well, that's untrue, some were just horribly crippled) but a good number died during the first contact with the Covenant... I honestly don't know the specifics here :/ it's been a while... but after Reach, I think there was... maybe 6 left? Probably a bit more.

Reach was glassed, burnt from orbit so the surface was molten, but a single spot was left unglassed... the excavation site where the Forerunner ruins were, which held the co-ordinates to Halo. It was here the last few survivors (On Reach, I think there may have been a few off-world, also unsure of this one) held their ground long enough to be detected by John and Sgt Avery (the black guy) as they returned from Halo's destruction.

Also, fun fact... glassing explains why we rule xD No, hear me out, The Covenant rarely engage on foot... they just scorch every planet from orbit, until the enemy is so weak and scared that they give up and integrate themselves. They have a habit of welcoming their defeated enemies. Honour and such... but with Reach? That dig site was too important, and they didn't wanna risk damaging anything else related to it, so they were forced to get on the ground, and were pretty inexperienced... I wouldn't be surprise if most of them hadn't ever engaged on foot before.

This, besides the Prophet of Truth being undermanned, was the reason we even stood a chance when they found Earth. Urban warfare is our thing. These guys were out of their element something terrible. The Elite's actually respect us ^^ they respected us as warriors, admired how we continued to fight when it looked impossible, and slowly began to sympathize... these human sympathizers were the first seeds that were sewn in the Covenant Schism, and the Brutes replacing them was the last straw.

So in the end, however corny this may sound... it was our warriors spirit that saved us.

Brandon

You know this kind of stuff done through game play would make Halo a great story as well as an average FPS. The games dont do that though, they dont delve into the inner workings of anything from the spartan project, to the start of the covenant war, or even first contact.

I mean WTF? How can you not do a first contact game or story?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

My brother is always complaining about the lack of story in Halo games. I'm not saying there's a lot of story going on, but what you do get isn't spoonfed to you, either.

Also, am I still the only one who thinks Halo 3 was a love story? I mean, come on. I know I've said this before, many times, but no one ever listens!

Sabby

Cortana is completely capable of those kinds of emotions, but physically, that relationship is doomed :P

Hemingway

So, I wanted to play Reach again, because I didn't finish it before.

... aaand somehow my progress since last time is lost. I probably forgot to save and exit, as if reaching a checkpoint shouldn't have been enough. I remember this happening in Halo 3, too. Goddamn. Question now is, do I keep it and wait a few months to try again, or just get rid of it? Probably best if I just trade it in at Gamestop now, while it's still new.

Kiric Rand

Currently playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, getting ready to finally start borderlands when i get it tuesday.
[Floatright]
[/float]
Guardian of Lynnie's heart
-My inbox is sort.of like 7-11. It's not always doing business, but it's always open.-
Flying High or Falling Fast (O/Os)My Ideas! A/A updated 2/11/15

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on October 10, 2010, 07:58:28 AM
Cortana is completely capable of those kinds of emotions, but physically, that relationship is doomed :P

Please...o3o..you don't need to get physical to have a loving relationship.

And besides...there's always a cloned human body with Neural Implants. o3o Give her a real body. :D

Sabby

I'm not sure how Cloning is with Halo... I know John and the other kids were replaced with Clones that had a very short lifespan, and would die soon... I don't know if that's because their cloning tech sucks (power armour before cloning. Priorities!) or because they intended for the replacements to die.

Not really a game here, but I got a downloaded collection of all the Mortal Kombat comics... I'm a huge MK fan, despite hating fighting games and never having read the literature. So this is my first foray into it ^^ I picture the voices of the movie over the characters... Raiden sounds better as raspy Cristopher Lambert then his usual in-game portrayal, where every time he talks he grows a new testicle just to handle the increase in hormones...

...though that could be said of all MK characters. Yes, even Sonya.

Bentley

Finishing another playthrough of Mass Effect 2. After that I'll return to Red Dead Redemption.

Host of Seraphim

Just got Fatal Frame 2 today. Kind of afraid to play it, though, because Fatal Frame 1 was so scary/hard that I couldn't even finish it. :o
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Inkidu

If I can make it through a week of freaking midterms I'll be gambling in a scarred mockery of Vegas next Tuesday! Luckless moron character here I come! My plan of playing all my games alphabetically fell apart fairly fast but killing zombies with my bare hands never gets old.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

8 hours until Medal of Honor.

grayfoxz

Quote from: Hemingway on October 13, 2010, 09:53:50 AM
8 hours until Medal of Honor.

Got it here in the store. But cam't sell it till tomorrow :(

rocknrolla

Quote from: grayfoxz on October 13, 2010, 10:08:10 AM
Got it here in the store. But cam't sell it till tomorrow :(

From what I've heard/read of it so far, it resembles Modern Warfare... terribly - everything from cutscenes to gameplay. Why, even the guy on the front cover looks like Captain Price sporting a beard.
People ask the question... what's a RocknRolla? And I tell 'em - it's not about drums, drugs, and hospital drips, oh no. There's more there than that, my friend. We all like a bit of the good life - some the money, some the drugs, other the sex game, the glamour, or the fame. But a RocknRolla, oh, he's different. Why? Because a real RocknRolla wants the fucking lot.

A/As (Updated 1/30)

Sabby

Replaying Red Dead Redemption. Easily my favourite mass murder simulator ^^

Here's a challenge. See how big a bounty you can get without dying. You can do this stand off/siege style, but you need to move around more then that to keep gaining attention.

My record so far? $4200 dollars.

Hemingway

Quote from: rocknrolla on October 13, 2010, 10:32:59 AM
From what I've heard/read of it so far, it resembles Modern Warfare... terribly - everything from cutscenes to gameplay. Why, even the guy on the front cover looks like Captain Price sporting a beard.

I played the beta. It's not for everyone. If you're a Modern Warfare 2 fanboy ( not you specifically, mind ), you probably won't like it. If you liked MW better than MW2, it might be more appropriate. It's basically a hybrid of MW and Bad Company 2. Nothing great, but I wouldn't say any worse than either of those games. I happen to like both, and all the haters and fanboys arguing has basically made me ignore all criticisms and all reviews of the game.

Now, Black Ops will probably be a better game than Medal of Honor ... but then, MW2 was a better game than BC2 as far as I'm concerned - I still played BC2 twice as long, so far ( Steam keeps track! )

Key things I saw in the beta that I personally like, are realism ( being at least somewhat more realistic than MW2, and a good deal more than BC2 ), and teamwork. Actual teamwork! MW did that exceptionally. MW2 was basically a free-for-all deathmatch. BC2 ... landed somewhere in-between. But, man, when you get some proper teamwork going in MoH, it's amazing.

rocknrolla

Quote from: Hemingway on October 13, 2010, 01:04:21 PM
It's basically a hybrid of MW and Bad Company 2. Nothing great, but I wouldn't say any worse than either of those games. I happen to like both, and all the haters and fanboys arguing has basically made me ignore all criticisms and all reviews of the game.

Exactly - Its a trend and Medal of Honor is keeping up with it, I just sort of expected something different. Modern Warfare was a bit different when the it came out, thus appealing - Who knows what else we can find in the next several years. 
People ask the question... what's a RocknRolla? And I tell 'em - it's not about drums, drugs, and hospital drips, oh no. There's more there than that, my friend. We all like a bit of the good life - some the money, some the drugs, other the sex game, the glamour, or the fame. But a RocknRolla, oh, he's different. Why? Because a real RocknRolla wants the fucking lot.

A/As (Updated 1/30)

Sabby

Isn't it obvious?

Call of Duty started as a WW2 game series, now handles the modern scene, and as jumping back and forth between the two, trying to see how much they can get away with (they TOTALLY used exploding crossbows in WW2)

The next step is either alternate reality of modern day, or future warfare... either way, Call of Duty will have lasers.

Brandon

I havnt played MoH yet but my first thought is thus, if it does not have destroyable cover like Bad company 2 I will not like it as much. There have been to many times in other games where people just et into an invincible cover position where they can hit you and you cant hit them. BC2 at least allowed me to chuck a grenade in there and if the guy didnt die at least his cover was gone.

BC2 fixed just about everything I hated about MW2 but it also brought in some unique problems with the class system. There have been many times where my entire squad has gone pure Recon snipers and I almost always play a medic. Not being able to have a sniper rifle while still sitting back to support them was a problem for me. That is why Ive always wished that classes could pick their own weapons but perhaps got an accuracy/damage bonus when using the class based ones
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hemingway

There are plenty of snipers in MoH, which doesn't really make sense, but they're easy enough to avoid if you just take it slow. Also, use smoke grenades. A lot of people don't understand smoke grenades. Goes for MW2 and BC2, too.

Most professional reviews I've seen of MoH basically say the same thing: "It doesn't re-invent the genre, so it gets a lower score than it otherwise would!"

grayfoxz

Quote from: Hemingway on October 13, 2010, 04:52:13 PM
There are plenty of snipers in MoH, which doesn't really make sense, but they're easy enough to avoid if you just take it slow. Also, use smoke grenades. A lot of people don't understand smoke grenades. Goes for MW2 and BC2, too.

Most professional reviews I've seen of MoH basically say the same thing: "It doesn't re-invent the genre, so it gets a lower score than it otherwise would!"

True, have been able to play it for a bit in our store. Plays better then MW if you ask me. more BFBC, which i really like.  Well see how multiplayer does :D

Sabby

Gothic 4 comes out in a week... I'm climbing the walls here Dx

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on October 13, 2010, 05:31:11 PM
Gothic 4 comes out in a week... I'm climbing the walls here Dx

It's already out here, I think. It, ah, sucked, as far as I could tell from the demo.