The Siege of Carisbrooke Castle: OOC thread

Started by Valerian, December 11, 2009, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Welcome!  Here is where all players, whether still playing or already eliminated, can chat.  Keep in mind, however, that no in-game information should be discussed here.

Carisbrooke Castle, from which the game takes its name, is a real castle, on the Isle of Wight in the English Channel.  Sometime around 1000 A.D., the Anglo-Saxons built a wall around a hill (following the path of earlier, Roman defenses) on the island, to help defend them against Viking raids.  After the Norman invasion in 1066, the castle proper was built by the lord of the isle, William Fitz Osbern.

After being in private hands for some time, the castle was sold to King Edward I in 1293, and remained a crown property for some time.  In the seventeenth century, the castle, its defenses newly upgraded due to the threat of invasion from France or Spain, ended up with its defenses put to another use -- it became a prison, most famously the place where King Charles I was held captive for about a year before he was finally executed by the Cromwellian government.

Since then, the castle has been the home of the island's governor (a tradition that ended in 1944, with the death of the last resident governor) as well as home to a museum of the island's history.  The castle's chapel is now a memorial to all those residents of the island who died in the first and second World Wars.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Caeli

ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Ryven

Haibane

OMG! Carisbrooke castle!?

If you knew my closeness to this wonderful place I'd have thought this was somehow planned...

I thought you were going to do a medieval game?

Anyway, 17C is fine. I think I'll enjoy this one...

Valerian

Well, the castle was a slightly random pick, actually, but I'm glad you like it.  :)

The game is medieval, yes; I was just filling in some of the history of the place for those interested in it.  And we should be able to get underway earlyish tomorrow, U.S. Central time, so everyone start sharpening your swords and polishing up your shields.   ;D
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Haibane

Oh it's not set in Charles' I time? My mistake. No worries then!

I'm rather unsure how the play for these games goes, so please bear with me if I make mistakes or take a while to get the hang of it.

Valerian

Since there are several new players this time around, I'll post a little more about the exact sequence.  This article gives a decent overview of the general rules.

What we'll be doing here is having an NPC die the first day, so no one has to be eliminated right away.  That first day, everyone votes for the Regent, who will be the player who breaks tied lynch votes, should that happen.

Then we'll move to the first night cycle, where the Weaponsmaster can choose someone to protect, the Historian can choose someone to research, the Rebels can choose someone to attack, etc.

To start the next day phase, I'll post revealing who (if anyone) died during the night, and reveal what that person's role was.  Then the lynch votes begin.  Everyone must vote for someone, and voting to lynch yourself isn't allowed.  After the lynch, then we move to the next night cycle, and so on.

If anyone has any questions, you can ask here or send me a PM.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Haibane

Thanks, very helpful.

I take it the Councillors do not know who the Rebels are while the Rebels do?

Mithlomwen

Awesome!  *dresses in her medieval finest*   
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Valerian

Yes, the Rebels all know each other, while everyone else knows only their own role.

And speaking of which, everyone should now have a PM revealing their role!  I'll get the festivities (so to speak) underway shortly.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Ryven

*slips on his medieval garb and a suit of armor*  Ready to go!  Woo!

sinera

*runs to her SCA closet and pulls on her serving wench garb* Yay!! I don't get to play dress-up nearly enough!

O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

LadySky

*rides into OOC upon a great white stallion* I'm ready!
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

sinera

Quote from: LadySky Cringle on December 12, 2009, 03:09:00 PM
*rides into OOC upon a great white stallion* I'm ready!

... and wearing nuttin' but her long, golden locks *giggles*
O/O | A/A | My Intro | Fairytale Requests
Apparently some people don't read my O/O before adding me on MSN/Y! - so I'll say it here: IF YOU DON'T TELL ME YOU'RE FROM E, I WILL NOT ACCEPT BUDDY REQUESTS. Please read my O/O before PMing me with ideas, thanks.
Best IRC cybersex come-on line EVER: "I see you're an erotica writer...So, do you ever do any realtime collaborations?"

LadySky

Aha! I have my persona for this game! I shall be the naked Lady Godiva!
I dreamed a dreamed, life has killed the dream I dreamed. So....I dream a NEW DREAM!!! never let them see you cry.

Autumn52

May light guide you through your turmoil and may darkness never cross your path.

White Light be upon you if that is your wish

Haibane

So we now vote to lynch someone, and while the rebels know who the other rebels are the councillors do not, yes?

Valerian

Correct.  The historian can learn others' roles (accurately, that is, without having to trust that people are telling the truth about their roles), which happens once each night cycle as long as the historian is alive; but otherwise the non-rebel players have to use their wits to try to decide who's who.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Haibane

I'm assuming we cannot communicate at all by PMs in this game?

Can we suggest (or talk) tactics in-character? In the main game thread? Clearly as soon as a player does there is a risk of giving information away but I wondered if it was an accepted part of the game to share ideas and information.

Aiden

Quote from: Haibane on December 16, 2009, 11:09:14 AM
I'm assuming we cannot communicate at all by PMs in this game?

Can we suggest (or talk) tactics in-character? In the main game thread? Clearly as soon as a player does there is a risk of giving information away but I wondered if it was an accepted part of the game to share ideas and information.

Unless things have changed, the communications is not only allowed it is almost encouraged. But Valerian ask that you include her in the PM so she is informed on what is going on and to prevent any chance of "cheating".

It can all be a combination of IC, PM and OOC as long as you do not blatantly give out information to the players.

Valerian

Aiden is correct.  Sometimes tactics are discussed "in character" in the main thread; more often the scheming takes place in PMs.

It's actually very, very common for people to mislead in character -- someone might hint at being the weaponsmaster or historian, for instance, in hopes of avoiding a lynch vote.  Other times, people just flat out lie.  Heh.

The only rule is that no one should insert direct quotes from whatever PMs you receive.  That's mainly to encourage everyone to use their own words for whatever they find out that way (or claim to have found out), which keeps things more interesting.  :)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

desert ashes

::Sniffles and hugs Remiel.:: 
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Mithlomwen

Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...