Game of Thrones / A Song of Ice and Fire - interest check

Started by SpiralSpider, September 04, 2014, 03:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiralSpider

Just checking to see if anyone would be interested in doing a (probably group?) game in this setting. We wouldn't be able to jump around from place to place like the show does, so it would be based in one area.

I'm open to a variety of locales and I am also all right with people playing canon characters (as well as OCs).

A bit about me in regards to this story: I have not read the books (though I'm looking to fix that) and I've only seen through the Second season and will be working on a the third very soon. I'm open to be game master, but then the game will only take place during the time line of the first two seasons, as it's what I know. I would be ecstatic to get a co-GM or even find someone else to GM this in stead, if they're open to it. My PCs will be original, but I can play canons if I GM - again, I'd be going purely by the TV show for personality quirks, etc...

I am also open to cross-overs. A purely canon setting is fine with me, too. I feel I can go with whatever group majority favors - whether that is a small group of newcomers to the Night's Watch, political intrigue among courtiers at King's Landing or a few modern-era Earth kids who suddenly find themselves in this other world.

Suggestions welcome and appreciated.
~ My Ons/Offs, Characters and general RP info ~ Where am I?

"If you get hurt, hurt them back. If they kill you... walk it off."

Question Mark

I'll be keeping an eye in this thread, pending further details and interest.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Question Mark on September 04, 2014, 06:55:47 PM
I'll be keeping an eye in this thread, pending further details and interest.

Seconded here.  If I wasn't already working on something similar, I'd be all over this.  Going to keep an eye on it for now, and see what develops.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

I'm interested. :) I've read all the books and short stories and am caught up on the show.

fezesarecool

Interested certainly. Watched all the series and starting to read through the books.

Bloodied Porcelain

I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Rel Mayer

SpiralSpider

Wow! That's great. I think we have more than enough interest to get something started.

I'd like to ask each of you for what your preferences would be. Do you prefer to play a canon character or an OC? What setting would you like to start off in? What sort of development would you like to see.... are you open to any deviation from the canon story? I so, what do you feel comfortable with?

Also - if anyone is willing and able to play Tyrion Lannister.... hit me up. XD

I have an OC, Ellyn Lannister, of the Lannisport Lannisters that I can play. :) Though if you really want a Tyrion, I might be swayed...

Question Mark

I will say that I'll bow out if we start playing canon characters.  That's just not my cup of tea.  I will also say that we need to set a certain "spoiler minimum"; i.e. we can talk freely about everything up to AFfC without fear of spoilerage.

However, I'm all for some small original story in the canon.  Allow me to pitch a few ideas that I feel fall at the cruxt of major events and so have a lot of story/drama potential:

-- A Night's Watch ranging north of the Wall in the months before the desertion of Gared and the deaths of Will and Ser Royce.  Wights, wildlings, and white walkers are likely.  Male characters are easy, but female characters would have to be wildlings or some southron with an extraordinary backstory.

-- A small, fictional hold in the Riverlands at the onset of the War of the Five Kings.  We could play soldiers, villagers, nobles, or others.

-- A small enclave of nobles in the Red Keep at some point between Ned Stark's execution and SPOILERS FOR ADwD Cerse's imprisonment by the Sparrows or Kevan Lannister's assassintion END SPOILERS.  We could be from far flung corners of the Seven Kingdoms, from across the Narrow Sea, or be from the same region.  Our characters may be feuding, bonded together in a coalition, or pitted against each other by politics.  This would be more freeform than the others and require more effort on the part of the players.

-- Mercenaries from a fictional Company fighting in any of the major battles that occur.

SpiralSpider

I'd prefer to play original characters, myself. But part of the appeal of the setting is some of the canons, like Tyrion for me. ^.^'

I don't know if I'd like a game with all canon characters. I'm pretty deep in the mythos, and I feel it might be hard for me to take characters seriously if I'm noticing some incongruous stuff, you know?

Question Mark

Quote from: Karma on September 05, 2014, 11:47:13 PM
I don't know if I'd like a game with all canon characters. I'm pretty deep in the mythos, and I feel it might be hard for me to take characters seriously if I'm noticing some incongruous stuff, you know?

That's pretty much my reason.  If I see a canon character as a PC and not an NPC/cameo, it just immediately breaks the immersion.  They're frustrating to play (because there will always be discrepancies) and frustrating to play with (because you notice those discrepancies).

Yeah, I don't mind it at all in, say, comics RPs because those characters already have dozens of iterations and will have dozens more.

mia h

There is also a problem with the cannon characters as a pretty big chuck of them are under 16

Rel Mayer

I want to make an OC that's a sand snake, but I don't mind changing my idea to better suit what everyone else plans on making.

Edit: Is this probably going to take place in King's Landing?

BTW: I have only read the books. I have never seen the show, so if the show really starts to differ from the way the book illustrates Martells I'm sorry.

mia h

Quote from: Rel Mayer on September 06, 2014, 02:57:42 AM
BTW: I have only read the books. I have never seen the show, so if the show really starts to differ from the way the book illustrates Martells I'm sorry.
It's essentially the same story, but things get moved around and redone for TV. For instance the meeting between Stannis & Renly at Storm's End has the same outcome but there is a bit more of an explaination about how it happened on the TV show. Bran & Hodor won't be in season 5 of the TV show as they've shown everything that happens to them up to the end of Book 5.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: mia h on September 06, 2014, 03:55:00 AM
It's essentially the same story, but things get moved around and redone for TV. For instance the meeting between Stannis & Renly at Storm's End has the same outcome but there is a bit more of an explaination about how it happened on the TV show. Bran & Hodor won't be in season 5 of the TV show as they've shown everything that happens to them up to the end of Book 5.

...Ugh.

I'm sort of happy I didn't watch the show. I think I would be disappointed about Bran.

mia h

Quote from: Rel Mayer on September 06, 2014, 04:04:42 AM
...Ugh.

I'm sort of happy I didn't watch the show. I think I would be disappointed about Bran.

The "big" problem with Bran is that the actor had a bit of a growth spurt between seasons 2 & 3 (I think) , he's only a foot shorter than Hodor

xPeachyPuff

I think playing OC's would be best (If it's not too late to give my opinion.) Also, what about Kings Landing for a setting?

Just to let people know that I'm up to date with the TV Series, but have only read up to the beginning of the second book.

- Rainbow ♥

Aiden

I've been lurking in this thread, on the fence if I want to join or not. But wanted to propose a possible idea.

A tournament, a gathering of houses (Can be an OC house) and set in its own universe.

So you have canon names but OC characters coming to participate. All the pvp stuff can be discussed ahead of time or you guys can have a simple roll off.

But the most important stuff would be the political stuff. Arranging marriages, alliances, maybe even some killing, all the stuff that makes GoT so awesome.

Set it up as a prequel to some new war, perhaps during this tournament the King falls? World is open.

-Steps off his soapbox and flees to the darkness-

Bloodied Porcelain

I would personally prefer all PCs to be OCs, and maybe have the canons who are absolutely necessary show up as NPCs now and then (you could always assign players specific canons they feel comfortable playing), but this is primarily because I havent read the books and do not intend to until A: they are finished, or B: Martin dies. Dealing with primarily OCs allows us to play in the world established in the show without worrying about who knows enough about X family or who remembers Y passage from Z book, etc.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Rel Mayer on September 06, 2014, 02:57:42 AM

I unfortunately think that they're cutting Arianne, or putting her and a couple of different characters, into one male character for the show.

~~~~~

Just jumping on the OC train here...  I think it'd be a lot easier to create original characters, rather than do canon characters.  I know some haven't read the books, and some haven't watched the shows.  Since there are different characters in each (i.e. characters which seem to only appear in the book version, and some that only appear in the show version), I'd say original characters would be the way to go in order to make it easier for everyone.

As far as setting, I'd have to guess that it'd have to be set in a large city, such as King's Landing.  It would be better, I think, than having every one scattered all over the continent.  Perhaps do other cities in different thread, like Oldtown, Sunspear, etc.

Is there a general consensus on the time of it all?  Is it before or after Robert's Rebellion?  Before could mean more Targaryen characters, possibly some Blackfyres if far enough back.  Or, as has been suggested, a sort of alternate universe type thing andfeel to it.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories