A Showroom of Trifles - A Character List [M/M]

Started by Observing Trifles, November 15, 2013, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Observing Trifles

|| the hunt ||

my, my, those eyes like fire;
i'm a winged insect, you're a funeral pyre.
come now, bite through these wires;
i'm a waking hell and the gods grow tired.

Observing Trifles

Name:
Draenai "Drae" Toramael

Species:
Hex'ras; spider-demon.

Orientation:
Homosexual

History:
Like the rest of his kind, Drae was born and raised within a reclusive, cave-dwelling Hex'ras colony. Largely isolated from the rest of the world, he sought knowledge where he could from scholars and mages within his settlement. From them, he learned bits of magic from various specialties, though he proved naturally skilled in the arts of illusion, phantasm manipulation, and necromancy.

Less and less content with the quality of a life spent hidden beneath the surface, Drae followed in his elder half-brother's footsteps and ventured out into the world above, an act that sent him into exile. A sacrifice he deemed worthwhile when he was able to more effectively study and perfect his skills.

Above ground, Drae made good use of his ability to spin illusions, concealing the physical attributes that set him apart from humans. Four biarticulated, insectile arms were obscured from view, and he fashioned the remaining four into proper humanoid limbs. He hid three pairs of eyes stacked upon his forehead, leaving only two that he adjusted from pitch black spheres into less conspicuous almond shapes, and he concealed fangs containing deadly venom. With a suitably passable human appearance, he built a life as a nomadic purveyor of supernatural antiquities, peddling artifacts and self-fashioned talismans to general practitioners. This sustained him for some time, before he finally began to offer his skills as an expert trapper and remover of lost, troublesome, and downright evil spirits, a career path that suited him far better than retail. Eventually, this trade took him to Louisiana.

Though he still entertains his wanderlust from time to time, Drae has put down his roots in the center of New Orleans, where he runs an antique and oddities shop as a front for his real business dealing with pesky spirits. He maintains a rocky relationship with his elder brother K'thak, who left their colony when Drae was in his adolescence, though he secretly holds out for a reconciliation.

Drae does his best to keep himself guarded, owing largely to his solitary nature and an earlier heartbreak. He can count on one hand the number of people he trusts, and he refuses to rely on anyone but himself. He doesn't have much of a sense of humor, and has on more than one occasion been accused of not understanding jokes of any kind.

He has little need for sleep and spends much of his free time reading. Going out doesn't appeal to him very much, but when he does venture outside of his shop, it's usually to listen to jazz and blues musicians in bars of questionable repute. He's a self-taught pianist and can occasionally be found playing for a crowd in the bars he frequents.

He can't cook. Don't ask him. He can boil water for tea and throw plastic containers into the microwave, but that's the extent of his cooking prowess. He adores human food, however, particularly of the Creole and Cajun varieties, and will generally sustain himself on a combination of takeout and beignets. Seafood gumbo is especially loved.
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

you'll find my crown on the head of a creature
and my name on the lips of the dead​

Name
Dr. Mikkel Ostergaard

Species:
Human

Orientation:
Bisexual with a slight preference for younger men.

History:
Brought up in the port town of Aarhus, Denmark, Mikkel was raised with the best of everything. Educated at the finest schools and given every opportunity, he developed extremely refined tastes which led to a lifelong interest in the arts. He has an eye for beauty, and at a young age he began to equate the serenity of death with a unique and almost ethereal appeal. Eventually, such led him to indulge his eye for macabre aesthetics - he claimed his first murder victim at seventeen.

Gifted academically, he went on to study medicine at the University of Cambridge, eventually emerging from his studies with a specialty in cardiothoracic surgery, which plays nicely into his penchant - and his talent - for mutilating his victims. Paired with family money and a successful surgical career, he built a comfortable life, one that allowed him to travel at will, seeking indulgences in every corner of the world.

Present:
Mikkel is currently on a prolonged sabbatical, taking up residence at his summer home in Windham, Maine. He finds New England living suitable to his sensibilities, offering him a quiet, secluded place to focus on his hobbies.

Personality:
Mikkel has a profoundly outgoing personality. This he developed out of necessity, both to advance in his field and to veil his darker proclivities behind a smokescreen of normalcy. Due to possessing something of a god complex, he fancies himself a master, rather than a slave of his impulses. Insightful and deliberate, nothing he says or does is by accident.

He's well-spoken, charming, and generally a delight. Though beneath the gentlemanly veneer lies an exceedingly violent side, and when provoked, he's perfectly capable of beating the object of his anger to a bloody pulp. This is something he hides very well, however, and it's hard to anger him in the first place.
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

i'm no hero and i'm not made of stone
right or wrong, i can hardly tell
i'm on the wrong side of heaven
and the righteous side of hell​​

Name:
Shiloh "Shy" Rothschild

Species:
(Super)human

Orientation:
Homosexual

Abilities:
[under construction]

History:

Present:
[under construction]

Personality:
Shiloh is highly intelligent, calculating, and not above using psychological manipulation to achieve his goals. He has a markedly dry sense of humor, sometimes to the point of unintentional cruelty. A combination of low self-esteem and a propensity for holding grudges has rendered him quite volatile, and if he takes something personally, he's likely to lose sight of the bigger picture when it's eclipsed by his need to show dominance. Despite this, he is not without emotion, and when he grows attached, he latches on to the point of obsession.
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

i'm forever chasing after time
but everybody dies
if i could buy forever at a price
i would buy it twice​

Name:
Vasuki

Species:
Naga

Orientation:
Pansexual

History:
Once the loyal servant and companion of Lord Shiva, Vasuki carried the title of Naga King, Ruler of Serpents, a position which earned him the loyalty and adoration of humans in the southern and eastern regions of Asia. His participation in extracting the Nectar of Immortality from the sea resulted in the creation of new life, which combined with his closeness to Shiva catapulted him to the pinnacle of power among the gods of his time.

But as humans are wont to do, their affections waned over time, resulting in Vasuki's slow but steady fall from grace. As decades passed, the memory of his contribution to the universe began to warp, until humans remembered him only as a symbol of Shiva's power, one worn around his neck not as a companion but as a mere subject, a token of his strength and dominion over serpents. Disillusioned by the image of himself he had once held so dear, as well as humiliated by his decline, Vasuki went into a self-imposed exile from his homeland, embarking on a journey to rebuild a cult in his name. Much to his chagrin, building a new network of followers was no small task, owing largely to the rapid development of new civilizations with their own series of gods and idols.

With no worshipers to supply adoration, Vasuki began to fade. Day by day, he grew weaker, though he found a temporary reprieve in his ability to spin illusions, a gift he used to impersonate other gods on the Asian continent in the event of their absence or demise. Subsiding on secondhand worship, Vasuki made his way to the well-established Mesoamerica, where he forged a strong, passionate bond with Quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent god who reinvigorated his zeal for life - but when he too perished, the former Naga King at last resigned himself to his fate, unwilling to subside on life energy drawn from mimicry and lies.

Following the Spanish Conquest that rendered Mesoamerica a less inhabitable paradise, Vasuki traveled to the rapidly developing regions of North America, where he laid low for some years, finding new ways to cope with his impending demise. Music soothed him the most, and it was when he finally became proficient with the guitar that he learned he could find sustenance in a new kind of worship, one gifted by an audience eager to bear witness to the melodies he could create. With his zest for life restored, Vasuki set out not to form a permanent cult of followers, but to take his existence day by day, comforted in the knowledge that though his time as a god was over, it was not yet his time to die.

Present:
[under construction, but basically he's kind of a weirdo hippie now]

Personality:
Confident, extroverted, a touch brash, but never blindly arrogant. Vasuki has flirted with death often enough to know that life is fleeting, potentially extinguishable at any moment. As such, he isn't burdened by shame or modesty and takes great pleasure in living for the moment. Though he's experienced heartbreak and loss, he accepts both as inevitable facets of anyone's existence, and he is a strong believer in the lack of true coincidence. When he loves, he loves hard and doesn't let go.

That being said, he finds it very difficult to have faith in humankind owing to their tendency to forget their loyalties. His fall from grace has left him more than a little jaded and though he is quite even-tempered, he can and will fly into a blind rage if reminded of the humiliation he suffered from impersonating other gods to survive.
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

oh, lord, heaven knows
we belong way down below​

Name:
Kaliq

Species:
Angel, Order of the Seraphim (previously)

Orientation:
Pansexual

Abilities:
A warrior through and through, Kaliq is skilled in both hand-to-hand and weapon-based combat, but he specializes in magic. Like most other angels trained in combat, he is able to channel his Grace, the equivalent of an angel's life energy, into sharp blasts that send his opponents flying, but his most devastating skills were gained through more sinister means. When magic-wielding opponents lay dying, Kaliq possesses the unique ability to take their powers as they take their last breaths. Through this method, he has stolen the ability to weaponize lightning and fire, and the ability to speed up his healing factor.

History:
Brought into existence during wartime, a brutal conflict between angels and their demonic counterparts, Kaliq took up an apprenticeship with a captain in the Celestial Army in order to stay alive. His training hardened him to such a degree that in his formative years, he learned to tune out such things as regret and remorse. As he matured, he came to resent the restraints placed on him by his superiors and, upon separating from his mentor, he began operating as a freelance mercenary on Earth, where he adapted to take part in humanity's conflicts. He took no sides, only payments from the highest bidders.

This existence sated him for some time but did not stop his inevitable return to Heaven, where he took up a role in their military's black ops division.

[under construction]

Present:
[under construction]

Personality:
[under construction]
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

Name:
Riordan McGowan

Species:
Human

Orientation:
Homosexual

History:
Born and raised in Killarney, Riordan long aspired to enter an English university to study clinical psychology. With a bright mind and plenty of drive, it came as a surprise to no one when he received his letter of acceptance from the University of Southampton, where he received his undergraduate degree. Next on the list came graduate studies, for which he secured acceptance to Oxford. With a clear trajectory in mind and armed with a bullet-pointed list of goals, the young Irishman had every confidence in his career path, all but counting down the days to his doctoral program.

Everything changed only weeks before his first day at Oxford when he suffered a stroke. Having never shown any indications of poor health, the event blindsided Riordan, who woke in a post-op ward to discover he could no longer hear or speak. Doctors assured him that with the appropriate therapies, he would regain the faculties he lost, but after six months of no improvement, he was forced to cope with the reality that at twenty-three, his world was forever changed.

No longer able to comprehend the world around him, Riordan was forced to drop out of his long-desired graduate program and, after a period of grief that lasted a solid year, start all over again.

Present:
[under construction]

Personality:
Riordan is a stubborn, willful individual with a perfectionist streak a mile wide. He holds himself to sometimes impossibly high standards, not to make up for his disabilities but to overcome them. Though he works tirelessly to function at full capacity, he occasionally grows frustrated with his limitations, and as such has inadvertently distanced himself from friends and family. He is, however, a fairly gentle man with an old soul, and is slowly working at reentering a world he thought he lost.
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

Name:
Lord Azrael Malak'h

Species:
Fire Elemental

Orientation:
Bisexual with a strong preference for men.

History:
[under construction]

Present:
[under construction]

Present:
[under construction]

Personality:
[under construction]
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

Name:
Aexyr

Species:
Dark fae

Orientation:
Homosexual

History:
Raised by a noble family of fae, Aexyr was the youngest and frailest of seven siblings. Throughout his youth, he suffered considerable abuse at the hands of his elder brothers and sisters, most notably due to his appearance. Sickly pale skin, spidery limbs, black hair, and piercing golden eyes set him apart from the rest of his kin, all of them fair-haired and green-eyed. It took the death of his mother, his sole protector in his childhood, to discover his true lineage as a dark faerie, a foundling born to a mother he never knew. Freed by the truth, Aexyr left and never returned.

Taken in by a powerful mage who took note of his potential, Aexyr spent decades wholly committed to his position as an apprentice. Fanatically devoted to his task, he mastered several classes of magic to the point of outgrowing his mentor, but his lofty aspirations continued to leave him wanting. He had considerably larger goals in mind, to which end he took part in an archaic ritual that left him blind, his sight offered as a sacrifice which started him on the journey to learn forbidden dark magic.

True vindication began some years later when, bolstered by his newfound skills, his reputation catapulted him into the prestigious position of Royal Mage, a direct subordinate of the king. Owing to the royal household's deeply held reverence for the supernatural, Aexyr was second to no other member of court, earning him no shortage of envy from those who may otherwise have regarded his race with contempt. And if contempt remained, no one dared display it. At least not at first. But with envy and contempt came suspicion. Suspicion came with questions and spies, which resulted in a devastating fall from grace.

Present:
[under construction]

Personality:
[under construction]
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

Name:
K'thak Toramael; aka Wyatt Collins

Species:
Hex'ras; a spider demon. Half-brother to Draenai Toramael.

Orientation:
Homosexual

History:
A vein of magical abilities ran deeply through the Toramael family tree, and K'thak was no exception. Much like his half-brother and their father before them, he displayed a strong capability for the skill of illusion, though he had greater interest in potion-making and general alchemy. With the former he assisted his kind in matters pertaining to health, and with the latter he fortified their tools and technology, making him a prominent member in their isolated society.

Wanderlust often took him beyond the borders of their colony and up to the surface world, where glamour magic allowed him human form. His frequent excursions brought him to his first love, a human shopkeeper. Though their romance didn't last, it instilled in K'thak a desire to build a life for himself above ground, to which end he left the Hex'ras colony, never to return.

Present:
Now called Wyatt Collins, he's made a home for himself in a flourishing New England city, where he makes a tidy living as a tailor of men's suits. When absent from his shop, he can be found in the center of lavish house parties, indulging to excess and encouraging others to do the same. He and his brother speak infrequently, due to Drae's lingering resentment for him.

Personality:
After spending much of his life in a quiet, cloistered society with only the emotionally reserved members of his own kind for company, Wyatt has developed a far more carefree, hedonistic lifestyle. With a wardrobe as flashy and boisterous as he is, he has a penchant for the finer things in life, and he's not above being a bit of a showoff, particularly in front of those he dislikes.

He keeps a close circle of friends who he'll meet for drinks or parties, but he is rarely seen with them otherwise. While he enjoys socializing and the luxury of the life he has built for himself, he is deeply ashamed of his origins and will never willingly divulge his true nature, even to other non-humans. The shame spills over into other aspects of his life, to the point where his propensities for flashy clothes and bold decisions are mere smokescreens for his many insecurities, including the guilt he harbors for leaving his younger brother behind in their colony.
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

Complete overhaul of my character gallery. Added some, removed others, revised histories, etc. Some are still under construction.

My boys need new homes!
|| the hunt ||

Observing Trifles

|| the hunt ||