Any good MMORPG besides WoW?

Started by Bloody Rose, November 09, 2011, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloody Rose

I am looking for a good mmorpg to sink my teeth in for a time. I am tired of wow and want to try something different. Right now I am playing Eden Eternal however I want to try my hands on a good mmorpg even if I have to pay a monthly fee. I was looking at Final Fantasy however I am not sure if this game it's worth it. Any good suggestions?

Shjade

Give Lord of the Rings Online a shot. Free to play, pretty large world, lots of deeds to complete if you're the completionist type, good-sized community - enough people to get things done, not so much that it feels crowded - that is relatively more RP-friendly than most MMORPGs, purdy scenery...nice little laundry list of pros.

Cons include very limited character customization (though the wardrobe system allows for pretty flexible costuming post-creation), fairly grind-heavy gameplay aside from questing (deeds are largely "kill X creatures" where X is anywhere from 40 to 300), somewhat machine-intensive requirements to run.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sel Nar

Guild Wars. 30$ fee to get the 'trilogy' set, which is all 3 campaigns, which gives access to 3 continents, 10 character classes, a large chunk of customization, vast vistas of eyecandy, vaster vistas of pretty scenery.

Cons include a lack of things to do in 'downtime' as the game is very combat-focused, narrative for storyline(s) are optional, minimalistic voiceacting (laughably bad at that in the first campaign), somewhat limited customization, and an internal economy that wants your arm, leg, and firstborn if you even think about getting the most expensive armour, though, thankfully, it's merely eyecandy instead of having concrete stats.

Also, playerbase has dropped of slightly due to GW2's upcoming beta release later this year, and proposed full release early next year.

Tribalz

I know it's not an MMORPG by definition, but League of Legends is an online game which is very good. If you played Warcraft III at all, then it's like DotA. If not...Imagine a battle arena RP, then make a game around that concept.
Ons & Offs

Also, appologies to anyone RP'ing with me. It's been a -very- merry Christmas! ^^*

mannik

I'd suggest giving Age of Conan a try. Its recently gone F2P, though you don't really have access to every class or race with a free account. But you'll still probably enjoy the fresh approach to combat.

Unlike WoW or other MMOs, there's no auto attack. The first three slots on the power bar are your basic attacks. Left attack, Straight attack, and Right attack. When you target an enemy you can see their defenses represented by three curved lines. As you attack an area, say left, they'll start to switch their defenses to protect themselves, which in turn open up their other areas. You do bonus damage when you attack an unguarded area. And do less damage for attacking guarded areas.

All the powers are used in combination with the directional attacks, the correct combo is displayed when you use the power. More powerful attacks require a longer combo to execute. In my opinion it adds a new sort of dynamic to the combat, hit them until they open themselves up for your strongest combos....then kill the hell out of them!

There's also the finishing moves, which happen randomly when you kill an enemy with a combo/power. It is always satisfying to lop your opponent's head off after a long annoying fight. Finishers also have the bonus of replenishing your mana/stamina so you can keep on kicking ass!

City of Heroes also recently went F2P if you wanna give that a try.

agravainne

While realizing opinions on MMORPGs is highly subjective, I have to vote for one nobody has mentioned, Rift.

I've played WoW for several years, but in doing so, I did a tremendously stupid thing: going for the Loremaster title on my main.  It burned me out on questing from here until Sylvanas starts dating an Orc.  :P

Rift has a 7 day free trial and is highly soloable in early going. Character customization is pretty much endless, as even once one has reached the current maximum level, there are still customizations available to increase the skill of a toon.   

I have friends who are in those upper levels now who have also played WoW, and they told me that Rift has some of the fasted bug fixes in gaming. They frequently patch, and *gasp* they do pay attention to bugs posted in forums.  Instead of expanding every year or two, they have been offering expansions every 3-4 months.

I'm still at a lowbie level due to RL obligations, but I do intend to play Rift as I've enjoyed my experiences thus far.

Myrleena

I don't like elaborating much, but I personally enjoy Hellgate: London and Dungeons and Dragons Online.  Both are free to play, though each has  content you can purchase if you want to.

Jasongray

These are the times im reminded I spent too much time on the computer! (too bad its broke now :'( thank hous four cell phones) a few good games that I have played are as followed and in order of my personal opinion!

Runescape yes I know the very name yells "NERD" But it has changed alot! And it has a free to play portion. Dont get me wrong though you have never payed runescape the right way until you have played members. Members only costs give bucks a month. And opens tons of skills to train! Equaling hours and hours of fun! It also allowes you much more of the world to explore benifits and other things. This game is definatly the best deal your get. "bang four your buck"

Mabinogi. This is quite the game I found myself quickly addicted to it! Though this game is compleatly free you csn always pay money for interesting pets dyes (for clothing and armors) you can even buy a horse! (looks like you can have that pony you wanted since you were three!)

Combat arms! Technically its an mmofps but its very fun I cant realy explain this more then point aim oh crap you died ...revenge will be mine! definatly worth giving a look at now since its hosted by the same people that host mabinogi any points you buy on ither game can be used and the other game! This game gives you wepons to buy with good or points! But dont think you have to have point s to kick ass!

If you want more I'm sure I have more!

Senti

OK I don’t know too much about these sort of things, but my hubby has been doing them for years so I asked him.

He loves Lord of the Rings and also EVE and I must say they are radically different.

Also he is very excited about Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which he will be getting very soon.

He says there is always life after WOW.

Jacqueline

Everquest 2 is a fairly decent one, it has one f2p server that you can try at anytime to see if you like the game or not and the other servers are going to be f2p in December. I love the art style and the character creation.

Slywyn

I'll throw in my two cents for Guild Wars 2 when it comes out(which sadly means you'l have to wait), but it's looking like a really great game so far.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Sel Nar

Quote from: Spectfade on November 14, 2011, 12:31:01 AM
I'll throw in my two cents for Guild Wars 2 when it comes out(which sadly means you'l have to wait), but it's looking like a really great game so far.

By 'great' what's meant is 'Turning all the established paradigms on its collective head, beating them up for their lunch money, then giving 'em a swirlie for good measure' Notable features include physical interaction with environmental objects (pick up a mug of ale. Drink it, toss it, or crack someone in the head with it. Up to you), combination attacks (eg; firewall + volley shot from a ranger = flaming arrows), 5 playable races, 8 classes, 'bosses' that make deathwing look like a simpering child throwing a tantrum, BIG bosses that make the previously-mentioned ones look like barely-formed infants, and are more force of nature than living being that can be understood, oh ,and anti-ninja-loot measures, where everyone that participates in a fight, even if it's to toss a few healing potions at someone who's struggling, gets full loot and gold from the dead enemy.

Oh, and the underwater sections are apparently, around the same total size as the Entire Prophecies campaign from the first game.

Slywyn

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 14, 2011, 08:50:05 AM
By 'great' what's meant is 'Turning all the established paradigms on its collective head, beating them up for their lunch money, then giving 'em a swirlie for good measure' Notable features include physical interaction with environmental objects (pick up a mug of ale. Drink it, toss it, or crack someone in the head with it. Up to you), combination attacks (eg; firewall + volley shot from a ranger = flaming arrows), 5 playable races, 8 classes, 'bosses' that make deathwing look like a simpering child throwing a tantrum, BIG bosses that make the previously-mentioned ones look like barely-formed infants, and are more force of nature than living being that can be understood, oh ,and anti-ninja-loot measures, where everyone that participates in a fight, even if it's to toss a few healing potions at someone who's struggling, gets full loot and gold from the dead enemy.

Oh, and the underwater sections are apparently, around the same total size as the Entire Prophecies campaign from the first game.

Well, I didn't want to be overzealous since it isn't actually out yet.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Story Tale

Quote from: Senti on November 12, 2011, 01:00:35 PM
OK I don’t know too much about these sort of things, but my hubby has been doing them for years so I asked him.

He loves Lord of the Rings and also EVE and I must say they are radically different.

Also he is very excited about Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which he will be getting very soon.

He says there is always life after WOW.

I've heard Eve is beautiful, but you need a fairly nice computer to appreciate it. Also I've heard Star Wars is fun.

A couple of my friends play Warhammer, and while it seems a lot like WoW to me, they always say its not..

Jacqueline

I tried Aion some time ago and it has very beautiful graphics, I loved my daeva girl in high heels! Although it seems to be a very PvP game.

kylie

I play Rift, quite taken with it really.  It's my first MMO but I keep hearing comparisons to WoW.  I do understand it has better graphics.  I like the shiny, customizable combat overlay interface pretty well.  There is a decent range of customization for character skin and hair.  A bit less for body shapes, a preset selection of ten or so per section of the body.  Clothing and armor models are rather limited -- they are often repeated across different items, and just really tend to be hit or miss aesthetically.  I enjoy the landscapes in Rift fairly well, for a dystopian fantasy world with lots of open space and some wasteland.

Character classes are the subject of much min/maxing chatter.  But there is plenty of room for playing around with skill sets at least for those first weeks or month (unless you're really playing casually) until you hit the max of 50.  There is actually a lot of overlap in options -- almost everyone can do many of the same things at some level, it's just that some classes do certain things much better.  PVP and instanced dungeons are good ways to level quickly, if you have patience for random opponents or long dungeon queues.  Some people swear by mainly farming lots of monsters, but I would get bored before I could fully test that approach.  It definitely helps if the monsters are just in the "caution" range for your character level-wise, but not actually too tough. 

After 50, it gets more "serious" if one wants real gear progression.  You start to hear more people demanding a certain character build to even have you around, which I find rather stifling.  The game may become more grind and guild oriented then.  Recently, they added another tier of experience with small stat bonuses for participating in battles against recurring invasion "events" so that has kept us 50's a little busier.   Some people distract themselves by pursuing epic quests or collecting artifacts scattered over the landscape for bragging rights and odd prizes (often yet another pet squirrel? okay, so I have one).  Some die for PVP but I don't have a whole lot of experience there.  Except:  It's more fun for rogues?  Heh.

Then of course there is raiding, a great way to burn a couple hours and just maybe get a touch of gear if the party is moving fast enough.  One of the criticisms of Rift is that you may have to raid to feel like you've heard much of the story of the world happen.  Crafting also becomes slightly more interesting at 50 with epic (but enormously expensive) recipes that characters can equip.  But the crafting system overall is rather simplistic and not so profitable for many characters.  Depends how much you like farming resource zones, watching the auction house for updates, and that sort of thing.  If you really like to craft, you may as well dive in and start leveling those alts early  8-)     

Strong points: 

• Pretty landscapes.
  • Generally decent combat FX, I think
  • Always something to farm, often some event to slash about in.  And, "Planar atunement" XP does keep level 50's involved.
  • They do listen to at least some feedback
  • Spiffy enough combat interface (for point and click moi - don't ask me about macros yet)
  • Character customization is alright
  • They don't wait a week or month to patch major issues
  • World has some sense of irony and humor
  • Starting to see instanced solo/duo dungeons, and more are promised.  (Rewards so far are limited, but the content is at least somewhat challenging.)
  • Overall "gods versus machines" type story, with lots of NPC's switching allegiances, is fairly compelling

Weaknesses:

• World feels smallish -- if growing -- Also note, the Defiants don't have as much contiguous territory as Guardians.
  • Storyline is not always obvious, is rather limited I think, and can be hidden in difficult group or raid areas
  • Game is already grindy at high level, and becoming prone to price inflation for gear there too
  • Crafting system can seem a little silly at times
  • Daily quests are repetitive (this is supposedly scheduled for improvement)
  • PVP system throws together people with uneven capabilities, just to fill the area
  • We want more instanced dungeons (I like the ones they have) -- queue times may vary a lot unless you're a tank or healer
  • Armor/weapons needs some work and variety aesthetically
  • Sometimes the monsters feel visually repetitive.  Same models as in other areas, here they're "small" and there "extra large" with more powers.
    (Supposedly this has been noted and the next content promises more originality.)
  • Online GM / support service can be distant or strange (sometimes helpful, sometimes not it seems)
  • If you mind this sort of thing:  Monsters usually do not respond differently to varied kinds of attacks (dragons not immune to fire or ice, etc.)
  • Possibly:  Frequent patch updates can feel slightly annoying?
  • Possibly:  Classes don't always appear dramatically different from each other (until you hit high level and then, only a few builds get favored)

Silverwood

There is LOTRO, DDO, Star Wars Online.... and quite a few others

Story Tale

Does anyone still play Ultima? My first love in mmorpg's..

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Sel Nar on November 10, 2011, 12:24:37 AM
Guild Wars. 30$ fee to get the 'trilogy' set, which is all 3 campaigns, which gives access to 3 continents, 10 character classes, a large chunk of customization, vast vistas of eyecandy, vaster vistas of pretty scenery.

Cons include a lack of things to do in 'downtime' as the game is very combat-focused, narrative for storyline(s) are optional, minimalistic voiceacting (laughably bad at that in the first campaign), somewhat limited customization, and an internal economy that wants your arm, leg, and firstborn if you even think about getting the most expensive armour, though, thankfully, it's merely eyecandy instead of having concrete stats.

Also, playerbase has dropped of slightly due to GW2's upcoming beta release later this year, and proposed full release early next year.

I second Guild Wars, it's an awesome game for what you pay for. Played in the November after it came out and played on and off up until I lost my password and the email I used for the account got deleted (long story about that).

Lord of the Rings Online and Dungeons and Dragons Online are also good options to look at. They are both owned by Turbine but have different setup. Both are easy to get into though, but LotRO has a more traditional take on questing/economy/etc than DDO, which is something more akin to Guild Wars.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

RubySlippers

Champions Online is cool with retro graphics like a comic book and a decent selection of classes and lots of costume options, uses microtransactions and no level limit a friend spent nothing and has dozens of pets to fight with like a new flaming zombie monster, cool gear and is a leader in a superteam. And had lots of fun. I spent some money on the game and love my Inventor the master of gadgets from energy shields, to deadly robot minions either muni-bots or uber-cute attack toys (teddies and such with little rocket launchers are cool) and gimmicky powers. At 40th level I will get access to an orbital energy cannon!

And its good to play on common computers with modest demands in requirements.

LunarSage

No one has said anything about Aion... is it decent?

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Sel Nar

Quote from: LunarSage on November 19, 2011, 04:11:35 PM

That depends; do you like lineage-style grinding for Logarithmic EXP requirements? Do you like PvP-only focus after level 30, with a cap of 55-60? Do you like a blatant developer bias where one of the two playable races has multiple defensive strongpoints in each of their forts and 9 PvE 'endgame gear-dropping' bosses, compared to the other race's 'wide open to aerial attack' forts and 2 endgame loot bosses?

It looks amazing, and it probably the only game in the world that can make the Oblivion engine create good-looking characters, but mechanically, it's a slog.

Jacqueline

Quote from: LunarSage on November 19, 2011, 04:11:35 PM

Actually, I mentioned it!

Samael

I've given Lord of the Rings a whirl, about a year ago, and I enjoyed it greatly.
I didn't have the time to actually spend for longer in the game, or I would have considered subscribing to it.

One thing I need to say about it though. The crafting? Is absolutely wonderful. And as someone who enjoys that aspect of a game, I was very happy with it.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

LunarSage

Quote from: Elenwe on November 19, 2011, 05:55:55 PM
Actually, I mentioned it!

Oops, sorry.  I must have missed it.   :-[

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫