Kelly's Heroes (Starship trooper variant)

Started by Chrystal, February 04, 2013, 03:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

Kelly's Heroes

My all time favourite war film. A classic MacGuffin Hunt. A bunch of misfit soldiers set off to rob a bank that is 30 miles behind enemy lines.

I recently learned that this plot is a classic RP plot, and I figured, what the hell, I'll run a variant on it.

Rather than limit this to WWII and thus to male characters, though, I figured I'd move it into a sci-fi setting, and thus allow female as well as male characters.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A STORY BASED RP

Please bare this in mind. If you want to stay in the farmhouse and fuck, this game is not for you. This is an action based MacGuffin Hunt.

There will be plenty of violence and lots of dead bodies, and not very much sex.

I am planning to play the entire enemy army, and the officers in the friendly army.

The Setting

In order to allow female characters to participate in the action, I'm going to put this in the future, in a similar sort of tech level to the "Starship Trooper" movies. Except this is going to be Humans v Humans. Basically a very similar setting to the film, but with futuristic weapons and equipment.

Characters required:

Pvt. Kelly: The group's unofficial leader. "Used to be a lieutenant, pretty good one, too, till they gave him orders to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out a half a company of G.I.'s. Somebody had to get the blame and he got picked"

MSgt Big Joe: The platoon's official leader. "Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining. And the only good thing to say about the weather: it keeps our air corps from blowing us all to Hell because its too lousy to fly, versteh? "

SSgt. Crapgame: The Hustler.  "Coulda been in the States playing ping-pong; volleyball... Plenty of broads... Who the hell needs all this? Gonna get my knife & get the hell outta here. Eaaa, lousy equipment! Now I gotta lift up this CANNON; carry it all the way to the front line someplace. Damned thing is heavier that Kelsey's burgers!"

Wargtass as Sgt. Oddball: The tank Platoon leader. "We see our role as essentially defensive in nature. While our armies are advancing so fast and everyone's knocking themselves out to be heroes, we are holding ourselves in reserve in case the Krauts mount a counteroffensive which threatens Paris... or maybe even New York. Then we can move in and stop them. But for 1.6 million dollars, we could become heroes for three days"

Pvt. Moriarty: The Mechanical Genius:"That ain't my fault, Oddball, I've done nothing but have good thoughts about that damn bridge ever since we left! "

Pvt. Little Joe: Radio operator.

Styx26 as Pvt. Cowgirl: Half-track driver, and sniper.

Pvt. Petuko: Assassin

As many other platoon members as required.

Cpl. Job will be a NPC as he doesn't make it!

The above names can be modified, but I would like to keep the major players, Kelly, Big Joe, Crapgame, and Oddball, unaltered, except that Big Joe can be Big Jo if preferred...

I will post a character sheet here if I get enough interest.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

AurelieCatena

Do you plan that any enemy female soldier or civilian get tortured and raped?

Chrystal

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Wargtass

This is a bloody brilliant idea! Give me a shot at Sgt Oddball and I'll be so game you don't even know!  XD
O/O

Chrystal

Right ho.

I will need you to come up with what sort of armour Oddball is driving? Obviously a Sherman tank would be horribly out of place in a sci-fi setting.

And remember, the enemy tanks "are all bigger and better than ours, so the best we can hope for is to scare them away..."

Going to need a few more, though, including Kelly.

Wargtass

Not to mention Kelly and friends need to be able to ride on the back of it as well!  ;D

Checking around the Internet right now for something that may fit the setting.
O/O

Styx26

Well, I'm interested. ^^ I volunteer for service as Pvt. Cowboy or Cowgirl... whichever works.

Always wanted to be the driver in this sort of thing...
Ons and Offs
RP Ideas, Characters
A/A's
Patience is a virtue... it's a good thing I'm trying to be more virtuous! ^^
Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 06, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
Do NOT encourage the Padawan!

Chrystal

Welcome aboard, Pardner.

Again, you need to figure out your form of transport, sci-fi equivalent of a half-track? Just... don't get too attached to it!

You are more than welcome to be a female character. If I'd wanted only male characters I would have left it in 1944.

Wargtass

Finding a good Sci-Fi tank for the setting and story is harder than I thought. There is not really much in the way of undergunned and small in that department and its rather weak in the letting GI's ride on the back department. AlsoI am having a hard time deciding if it should be hover, tracked or legged...  :-\
O/O

Chrystal

Quote from: Wargtass on February 07, 2013, 01:27:41 PM
Finding a good Sci-Fi tank for the setting and story is harder than I thought. There is not really much in the way of undergunned and small in that department and its rather weak in the letting GI's ride on the back department. AlsoI am having a hard time deciding if it should be hover, tracked or legged...  :-\

Some suggestions:

Don't worry about making it too small and "under-gunned". Whatever you choose I will be able to find something bigger and badder for the "Tigers".

Wargtass

All good, but they don't feel like tanks to me. I have worked around them earlier in my career and they don't really feel right. I lurked around and found some decent ones of different propulsions and proportions. I realized even though some may look like they could put a hole through anything we are used to today, it's all about upgunning the enemy so that they shrink in comparison.

As for the character himself, I'll probably keep him a him. While I'm tempted to make a female Oddball, it would probably just end up Tank Girl...  :P  Have to polish that further though.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I have no idea why NASA would need a tank, but it looks nifty:

And something that might be terrifyingly upgunned for the Space-Germans:

O/O

Chrystal

Nice...

Feel free to choose which ever you like best, with the exception of the NASA one, which is quite clearly intended for use fighting Martians - it's actually on Mars...

The only real objection I have to all the illustrations except one (including my own offerings) is the colour - they should be green. But we can assume adaptive camouflage!

As for the tigers...

"There's always a bigger fish"

So, yeah.

Need a few more players though...

Wargtass

Quote from: Chrystal on February 09, 2013, 12:17:39 PM

That is actually a real Cold War Soviet prototype which was meant to be able to withstand being in the closest periphery of ground zero in a thermo-nuclear blast.
O/O

Chrystal

I'm veering towards the second one. It's rather German in style, although I'd actually put it in the category of SPG rather than Tank.

Anyway, I'm sure we can find something that works.

Assuming we get the players.

Sara Nilsson

oo oo oo!!!

me me eme me memememememe!

Pvt. Moriarty reporting in if its still available! o7

Chrystal

Okay, Ms Mechanical Genius...

But remember to have lots of positive waves about the game....

I feel I ought to hand over to Wargtass at this point to complete the instruction...?

Still really need Kelly, Big Jo(e) and Crapgame. Without them, all the positive waves in the universe won't make it happen.

RedEve

Quote from: Chrystal on February 04, 2013, 03:23:34 PM

Kelly's Heroes

My all time favourite war film. A classic MacGuffin Hunt. A bunch of misfit soldiers set off to rob a bank that is 30 miles behind enemy lines.

I recently learned that this plot is a classic RP plot, and I figured, what the hell, I'll run a variant on it.

Rather than limit this to WWII and thus to male characters, though, I figured I'd move it into a sci-fi setting, and thus allow female as well as male characters.

THIS IS GOING TO BE A STORY BASED RP

Please bare this in mind. If you want to stay in the farmhouse and fuck, this game is not for you. This is an action based MacGuffin Hunt.

There will be plenty of violence and lots of dead bodies, and not very much sex.

I am planning to play the entire enemy army, and the officers in the friendly army.

The Setting

In order to allow female characters to participate in the action, I'm going to put this in the future, in a similar sort of tech level to the "Starship Trooper" movies. Except this is going to be Humans v Humans. Basically a very similar setting to the film, but with futuristic weapons and equipment.

Characters required:

Pvt. Kelly: The group's unofficial leader. "Used to be a lieutenant, pretty good one, too, till they gave him orders to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out a half a company of G.I.'s. Somebody had to get the blame and he got picked"

MSgt Big Joe: The platoon's official leader. "Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining. And the only good thing to say about the weather: it keeps our air corps from blowing us all to Hell because its too lousy to fly, versteh? "

SSgt. Crapgame: The Hustler.  "Coulda been in the States playing ping-pong; volleyball... Plenty of broads... Who the hell needs all this? Gonna get my knife & get the hell outta here. Eaaa, lousy equipment! Now I gotta lift up this CANNON; carry it all the way to the front line someplace. Damned thing is heavier that Kelsey's burgers!"

Wargtass as Sgt. Oddball: The tank Platoon leader. "We see our role as essentially defensive in nature. While our armies are advancing so fast and everyone's knocking themselves out to be heroes, we are holding ourselves in reserve in case the Krauts mount a counteroffensive which threatens Paris... or maybe even New York. Then we can move in and stop them. But for 1.6 million dollars, we could become heroes for three days"

Pvt. Moriarty: The Mechanical Genius:"That ain't my fault, Oddball, I've done nothing but have good thoughts about that damn bridge ever since we left! "

Pvt. Little Joe: Radio operator.

Styx26 as Pvt. Cowgirl: Half-track driver, and sniper.

Pvt. Petuko: Assassin

As many other platoon members as required.

Cpl. Job will be a NPC as he doesn't make it!

The above names can be modified, but I would like to keep the major players, Kelly, Big Joe, Crapgame, and Oddball, unaltered, except that Big Joe can be Big Jo if preferred...

I will post a character sheet here if I get enough interest.
You should add a private Barbra to the roster, only make her a female soldier. ;)
I might be interested in the role if you need it.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Chrystal

"Don't call me Barbara". "That's your name, isn't it?" "It's Barbra!"

Eve, you are more than welcome to make Pvt Barbra, but as I said, without Kelly, Big Joe and The Hustler, "The bridge ain't up!"

NiceTexasGuy

Hi there, I'm just seeing this for the first time, thanks to this:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=164794.0

It looks like it didn't quite get underway for lack of suitable number of volunteers, but I was away from E for a bit and now I'm here, so color me ODdly interested in any of the roles (even if Oddball is already taken.)

If you need a more specific commitment, I would pick Kelly first, then Big Joe, then Crapgame - in that order.  I can supply a thinly disguised military resume/c.v. if needed.   ;)

And furthermore, while I understand the advantages of putting this in a sci/fi setting, I wouldn't rule out a semi-realistic WW2 setting just yet.

So, as the French would say ....

le bump
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Blinkin

Got room for one more? Perhaps the sniper?

Thought on the tank... I've always been fond of the APC from Aliens. It's about the same tech level, I think and while it looks pretty mean, it's about the same as a bradley in armorment.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Wargtass

Wow, I had forgotten this was among my bookmarks.
O/O

JamesSureWould

Hey, if y'all are still taking submissions,  I'd love to play the radio man (Little Joe)

NiceTexasGuy

And the more I think about it, the more I'd like to see it set in WW2.  I understand it's roleplay, and we should be able to roleplay in whatever setting, but sometimes I like playing in a setting I can relate to - a 20th Century military type of operation in France - to steal a truckload of gold ... as opposed to high tech MI stealing a qubartz of zelenimum on Alpha Fumbuck IV.

And I think it could still be plenty "realistic" to have a female or three along:

Lieutenant Kelly - the Army had thousands of nurses in the European Theater, many of them in field hospitals at or close to the front.  Young and idealistic in the beginning, she quickly became jaded by too many boys with missing limbs and faces, etc.  Did she just get tired of it all and seek a way out?  Or was the IG snooping around and she had something to hide?   As she's trying to come up with a plan, a wounded German colonel is brought into triage when she's on duty.  (He was snatched by an old Sergeant named "Big Joe" who wanted intel on the best hotels to stay in, and hit by shrapnel during an artillery barrage on their way back to American lines). She would never violate her oath by administering drugs for non medical reasons ... fortunately, some overeager medic (a new guy, obviously) already took care of that in the field.  She has to set his attache case aside to examine his wounds ... you know, the case he's clutching against his chest, and boy is it heavy!  And there's something about a caring nurse that makes some drugged men talkative.

Crapgame?  Instead of just inserting a female supply technician into this role (I really can't see a female character playing the Army supply sgt the way Don Rickles did it), what other females could we insert?  How about a short rotund French Madam -- sarcastic in three languages -- who for some reason seems to have access to any place she wants in the camp.  The army bureaucrats aren't going to give our guys the supplies and equipment they need for this operation, but she can -- for a cut, of course.  And she's going along to protect her investment, and she expects to ride in style.  (And since she's the only one who speaks German AND French, she might be useful.)

And if any other females wanted to play, Madam Crapgame could bring one or more of her girls along with her -- you know, like that prostitute with a heart of gold and a knack for fixing farm equipment.  How do you think Madam got the mechanical parts she traded to the Army?

Or perhaps the mayor's daughter who is in love with one of the soldiers and running off with him in spite of her father's objections.  You'll remember the offensive did seem to be stalled, so there was time for them to meet and fall in love.

I mean, like, the more I think about this, man, the more positive vibes I'm gettin'
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
==============

Chrystal

Woot.

Okay folks, this is looking like taking off again.

If people would prefer to do it in WWII, we can. I see no reason why we can't have a couple of secret soldiers on the squad, girls disguised as guys, perhaps, Or as has been suggested elsewhere have some Frenc Resistance women along for the ride?

"Hey Bellamy? It's Oddball. Yeah, I'm in a place called Mesurier"

"Mesurier? I've got a map around here somewhere that says we haven't even captured that place yet".

"Oh yeah, well everyone seems very friendly... There's a couple of nice resistance broads here..."

Or how about:

"Tonight? Nah, me and the boys have got something special lined up for tonight..."

"Somethin' special? What's more special than sixteen million dollars?"

"You come around tonight, Crapgame, and we'll show you..."

Remembering of course that Oddball's first line, "You could probably use some armour", is delivered from behind a very sexy looking French girl.

However...

I'm not going to change this to WWII on one person's say so.

NTG, while I am grateful to you for reviving the thread, I will say that if the majority would prefer a present day setting (maybe iraq or Afghanistan or even some other fictional war set in the now), or a sci-fi setting, that is what we will be using.

NiceTexasGuy

Quote from: Chrystal on April 21, 2013, 07:12:10 PM
NTG, while I am grateful to you for reviving the thread, I will say that if the majority would prefer a present day setting (maybe iraq or Afghanistan or even some other fictional war set in the now), or a sci-fi setting, that is what we will be using.

It's my pleasure, I'm glad I happened across it ... and I understand that it's your baby, and the idea of going with what the majority want.  I'm just making a case for WW2 because it seemed like the reason for NOT making it WW2 was the lack of availability for female roles.

So yeah, I vote for WW2, but would be happy to end up with a buttload of zelenimum to spend on Wrigley's Pleasure Planet as well.

;)
===
==============