Should I try to GM a group game as my first RP on this site?

Started by shroom, August 30, 2023, 02:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shroom

I literally just got approved today, but I've been trying to think of a good way to properly dip my toe into Elliquiy and start meeting people and doing roleplays. The idea that has wedged itself into my mind was a setting I've very lightly explored before, and would love to explore more. The idea works best as a group game, however, and I'm wondering if trying to run it is a bit too ambitious and if I'm setting myself up for failure and disappointment.

So, let's start with the idea for The Game: It will be fantasy themed, heavily inspired by D&D but open to accepting any fantasy-appropriate ideas. The game starts in a small town situated in a magocratic kingdom, with a government where the stronger your magical abilities, the more political power you wield (if you're familiar with the forgotten realms think Thay). This town is unique in the kingdom as it is a haven for those who aren't a fan of the "magical might makes right" way things are run and the way spells and magic items have become so commonplace in everyday life. You could almost think of it as analogous to Mennonites or similar low-tech communities where people lead a simpler life returning to the old ways of manual labor instead of using modern conveniences. The meat of the game starts when calamity strikes and (through means I won't go into too much detail with) the players are thrust into a light post-apocalyptic scenario where they must survive, explore and rebuild in a mostly uninhabited, untamed wilderness.

My role as the GM would obviously be to control the world around them and any enemies they may encounter, but I would also make GMPCs to fill any professions that would make the game harder if absent that none of the players claim (vital things like carpenter, smith, stonemason, farmer, hunter etc.)

The game would probably focus mainly on exploration of the world, development of the new town and interpersonal relationships of the townsfolk. I'm thinking a slow burn, long term type of thing that could span multiple in-game years with the potential for small timeskips if things are happening too slowly. It would be heavier on plot then on romance, but steamier topics and in-character hookups and relationships would certainly be a possibility.

I'm looking for feedback on if this is even a good idea to do as my first step into Elliquiy, general advice on how to run something like this, and I'm open to anyone interested in co-GMing. I know there's a stickied thread for people seeking co-GMs but it looks kinda dead with the last post being two years ago and I figured this would be a better way to seek advice. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, and feel free to reach out to me with direct messages if you want!

Outcast

Welcome aboard!

It can be all but impossible to predict what games will take off and which ones never get as far as starting.  Fractional differences in timing can mean that a batch of people who would have leapt at the chance to play are now too distracted by RL to do so, or that people who passed up a similar offer a short while before now feel able to pounce on a new one.

If you don't get the interest you were hoping for, don't take it personally!

For the game itself, I'd recommend aiming for a comparatively small and simple start that can grow into something much longer-term if it takes off.  Forum play tends to move very slowly compared to most other forms of RP, so if your sights are fixed on a distant horizon it can be easy to get frustrated.  Preparing for something big can be good... but be willing to accept smaller successes, too.

;D
My Ons and Offs  My A/A (updated 10/4/24)

inkybus

This is my anecdotal experience talking, so remember to take my words with a pinch of salt, because Your Mileage May Vary.

If you want a co-GM for your game, you might want to send a quick thread over to the Players Seeking GMs section and explain your thoughts and setting ideas. But you might want to rethink GMPCs, as you can assign mundane stuff like carpentry, masonry and overall building stuff to NPCs: it is probably doubtful that in a game about exploration with some action sprinkled in, you will focus on the nitty-gritty details of John Smith erecting houses and building barns.

You're also going to want to elaborate whether you'll use a Tabletop RPG system or let the game proceed Freeform.