News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemingway

It goes much, much deeper than that, Sabby. However, part of it is the fact Casey Hudson said outright it wouldn't be a choice between endings A, B and C - yet that's exactly what it is. Claiming that the slight variations on those constitute 16 totally different endings is ... a stretch, to say the least.

Just finish the game, you'll see. Or you won't. In which case I'll have to lay it out .. yet again. It is my civic duty to do so, until there's not a person left in the world who's not convinced ME3's ending is an atrocious pile of ... something.

Unfortunately, this means I have an actual motivation to start another playthrough. I mean, nothing could please me more, but ... man, I have exams coming up. I don't have time to play ME3! Much less do a full playthrough of at least ME2 and ME3! ( Strictly to get some of Miranda's ass. Man... )

Geeklet

Lets see... Mass Effect 1 ending... there is basically a choice between A and B. Mass Effect 2 Ending... A or B. Mass Effect 3... A, B, or C. You act like this is something new.

LunarSage

Quote from: Brandon on March 18, 2012, 01:31:01 AM
Interesting bit of news regarding the mass effect 3 ending. I'm still boycotting the game so I cant speak about it but I'm happy to see people exercising their consumer rights

http://www.gamepur.com/news/7426-fans-filing-ftc-complaints-against-ea-after-mass-effect-3-ending.html

Good god, the -venom- being spewed in those comments... *shakes head* 

This is why I hate the internet at times.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on March 21, 2012, 06:40:20 PM
Lets see... Mass Effect 1 ending... there is basically a choice between A and B. Mass Effect 2 Ending... A or B. Mass Effect 3... A, B, or C. You act like this is something new.

It's not really fair to compare the endings of the first two games to ME3. Your choices, big and small, carry over from one game to the next. I don't know how many variables there are, but even counting only the major decisions you still have dozens of permutations. ME and ME2's endings reflect your choices through the games, and the state of the galaxy in ME3 reflects those choices. Now, I don't expect the ending of ME3 to tell me exactly what happens with every choice I've ever made, but I had expected an epilogue at least explaining what happens with the Quarians and Geth, with the Krogan, with Earth, and so on. But you get none of that. What you get instead is inferred holocaust, and a cryptic ending that raises more questions than it answers, provides no closure, and generally doesn't make any sense.

That said, it probably would have caused less of a stir if Casey Hudson, Mass Effect's executive producer, hadn't stated specifically and explicitly that ME3 wouldn't have an ending where you basically got to choose which lever to pull, followed by a stock ending.

Geeklet

...You think this is the end of Mass Effect? With as popular as the games have been? No. Its the end of Shepard's story. That is it. All the other stuff you mentioned? The Krogans, the Quarians/Geth, etc.? That is all stuff that can be explored further in future games. Why give it away now?

Sabby

Eh, Mass effect 4 is around the corner, most likely, but your saying there isn't even a slide show, like in Fallout? Like, a shot of Wrex with "After the Reapers fall, Wrex was betrayed by supporters of Wreav, who had harboured a grudge for their leaders demise. With the Reaper threat passed, and the Galaxy in it's weakened state, the Clans of Tuchanka fight a brutal civil war, in the hopes of leading a renew Krogan invasion. Wrex's death has not been confirmed"

Hemingway

Quote from: Geeklet on March 21, 2012, 07:37:10 PM
...You think this is the end of Mass Effect? With as popular as the games have been? No. Its the end of Shepard's story. That is it. All the other stuff you mentioned? The Krogans, the Quarians/Geth, etc.? That is all stuff that can be explored further in future games. Why give it away now?

Which seems like a very natural place to wrap up, you know, the Shepard story. I was trying to think of what else to say to this, other than that it's a terrible justification for having no ending to speak of. If they're just going to continue ME4 where ME3 left off, then it's not even a self-contained trilogy. ME4 would just be the same story arc seen from the perspective of a different character.

Quoteyour saying there isn't even a slide show, like in Fallout?

Or like every other Bioware game ever created. But, yep, that's how it is.

Brandon

Quote from: Geeklet on March 21, 2012, 01:36:28 PM
Sometimes its more about the journey than the destination. And the end of ME3, no matter how good/bad one may think it is, is not so bad as to make the rest of the game bad.

That is debatable. I cant speak for ME3 but Ive certainly had endings that made me think the last 40+ hours were an utter waste of my time. Like final fantasy X. That was ALL about the journey but its horrible ending left almost no closer and retroactively made the game far less enjoyable for me
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Sabby

Wow, how is an ending so bad it gutpunches someone who had the steel to work through FFX? o.O

Isn't it that 'it was all a dream?' or something like that? I know FF Fanboys rip me to shreds when I ask and go into all this vague speculation that Tidas is dead, or the whole world is in purgatory, symbolism, blah blah blah, but it just makes me think of a fat dude dressed as Rikku jamming his fingers in his ears and headslamming the keyboard xD

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on March 21, 2012, 08:30:56 PM
Wow, how is an ending so bad it gutpunches someone who had the steel to work through FFX? o.O

Isn't it that 'it was all a dream?' or something like that? I know FF Fanboys rip me to shreds when I ask and go into all this vague speculation that Tidas is dead, or the whole world is in purgatory, symbolism, blah blah blah, but it just makes me think of a fat dude dressed as Rikku jamming his fingers in his ears and headslamming the keyboard xD

When you're done, look up 'indoctrination theory'. I linked a video in the ME3 thread that lays it out pretty nicely. It's actually a very common view, not obscure in the least.

Brandon

Quote from: Sabby on March 21, 2012, 08:30:56 PM

Let me try and explain

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Zanarkand and the world Tidus comes from is basicly a dream of the Fayte.

The fayte are essentially ghosts of human beings who also give a summoner power by teaching them to use an Aeon. So while each aeon is a spirit being it isnt the true form of the Fayte. The true forms of the fayte are basicly people

Auron, having been dead managed to bring Sin into the dreamed Zanarkand and pulled Tidus into his original realm. Called Spira. Something similar happend with Tidus' dad Jecht

How a dreamed character can exist outside of the dream is something thats never explained

So at the end of the game the Fayte basicly wakes up but since their dead they move onto the afterlife. This destroys the Aeon's and the dreamed Zanarkand. They fade away but for some reason Tidus disappears with them (Jecht did to but you had to kill him just before the end of the game). So all this time Tidus has basicly lived outside of the rules between the real world, the dream and death but he still has to fade away for some unknown reason

The thing to take away from that was, yes Tidus was a dream but he defied the rules of the dreamed and entered the real world. Neither was Tidus dead at the end of the game. So I dont see any reason for him to fade away with everything else involved with the Fayte

I should also note that 1. Im not fat, Im actually quite fit at 6'3 and 182 lbs and 2. I do not have a Rikku cosplay outfit. If I was to cosplay as any of the characters it would probably be Khimari
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

Okay, I actually followed that.  Now - can you also explain why FF X-2 went from 'upgrading weapons/abilities' (that is, what every other FF to that point has done) to 'dress spheres'?  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on March 21, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
Okay, I actually followed that.  Now - can you also explain why FF X-2 went from 'upgrading weapons/abilities' (that is, what every other FF to that point has done) to 'dress spheres'?  ;)
Don't try, Oniya, they're in full ME3 hate mode. I make it a point of fact to outright ignore direct Final Fantasy sequels. I think it's hilarious though. They created X-2 to appeal to female demographics, but the female demographics loved... certain kinds of... fan-fics...

This guy sums up my feelings on the whole ME3 thing.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116427-BioShock-Creator-Sad-Over-ME3s-Ending-Scandal
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on March 21, 2012, 09:39:29 PM
They created X-2 to appeal to female demographics, but the female demographics loved... certain kinds of... fan-fics...

Yes.  Yes, we did.  O:)  Now, if they can ever tap into that market (without breaking into the death-sentence of an A/O rating)...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

BrokenShards

Nothing wrong with a good dress sphere :(
Ready to write when someone requires.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on March 21, 2012, 09:39:29 PM
Don't try, Oniya, they're in full ME3 hate mode. 

Its utterly impossible for me to be hating on ME3 because Im still boycotting it and will continue to do so till the PC release no longer requires origin. I can not hate a game or rather hate on a game I have not yet played

As for the dress spheres, I didnt really think they were that bad. It was a renamed jobs system which always worked fine IMO. I didnt mind the weapon or clothes changes either since it went hand in hand with the jobs system from previous games. What I didnt like about FF X-2 was it was basicly Final fantasy: Charlies angel's edition but also that they pretty much rewrote Yuna without visiting why she changed so much

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on March 22, 2012, 02:45:04 AM

Its utterly impossible for me to be hating on ME3 because Im still boycotting it and will continue to do so till the PC release no longer requires origin. I can not hate a game or rather hate on a game I have not yet played

As for the dress spheres, I didnt really think they were that bad. It was a renamed jobs system which always worked fine IMO. I didnt mind the weapon or clothes changes either since it went hand in hand with the jobs system from previous games. What I didnt like about FF X-2 was it was basicly Final fantasy: Charlies angel's edition but also that they pretty much rewrote Yuna without visiting why she changed so much
I just want you to understand, realistically, that that's probably never going to happen, okay? It's too big for them to drop now, and  I doubt any boycott movement has the steam behind it to work.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

This ME3 ending debacle has caused some of the hate for DA2 to resurface. Me, I never quite saw it. I mean, I get that people may not like the direction the gameplay went, but what's really wrong with the DA2 story? I thought it was pretty great. It's different from the usual "save the world"-garbage.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 22, 2012, 03:22:49 PM
This ME3 ending debacle has caused some of the hate for DA2 to resurface. Me, I never quite saw it. I mean, I get that people may not like the direction the gameplay went, but what's really wrong with the DA2 story? I thought it was pretty great. It's different from the usual "save the world"-garbage.
It broke from the typical BioWare story setup and the people who complained that BioWare never changes its story setup didn't like it and complained. :)

GRKeistra

Here's one I bet few of you have heard of. Right now I'm playing the GameCube game called Skies of Arcadia. Every heard of it?

Hemingway

Isaac - you know, Dead Space Isaac - is kind of an idiot.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 22, 2012, 04:35:41 PM
Isaac - you know, Dead Space Isaac - is kind of an idiot.
He gets smarter in the sequel when he's voiced.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 22, 2012, 05:11:43 PM
He gets smarter in the sequel when he's voiced.

I hope so.

I mean, come on, Isaac. What did you think would happen?

Just finished it, anyway. I'm starting DS2 now.

Brandon

Quote from: Inkidu on March 22, 2012, 05:08:17 AM
I just want you to understand, realistically, that that's probably never going to happen, okay? It's too big for them to drop now, and  I doubt any boycott movement has the steam behind it to work.

You're probably right but that doesn't change the fact that I am going to stay true to my principles. I believe that their PC release was wrong and the only way I can realistically express that is to boycott their game.

Hemingway

... Why do I feel like I'm playing Mass Effect 2's twisted cousin...?

Well, at any rate, Dead Space 2 looks really promising.