3.5 DnD - DM looking for PCs

Started by NicciKotor, July 02, 2010, 09:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tackyhillbilly

18, 17, 16, 11, 11, 11.

Acceptable?

Keelan

14, 15, 14, 14, 12, 13... then 15, 12, 15, 12, 15, 12... then I decided to role them using dice and not a diceroller, and got 18, 16, 16, 16, 15, 12

Shall I pick one?

BenedictWolfe

I would be interested in joining with my half-ogre archer. He would be Scout 4/Level Adjustment 2 coupled with Ranger 6. I would also mean for him to break off his ranger advancement (after a few levels) to take the Deepwood Sniper prestige class. It's actually 3.0, but its rules are consistent with 3.5 and are available online.

Kate

Name: Feyua
Race: Half-nymph
Alignment:Chaotic Neutral
Class: 6th level Sorceress / Favored Soul
Diety : Erevan Ilesere (Fey Jester of mischief and trickery, favoured weapon shortsword)

Feyua is probably the most perverted sorceress one could happen to stumble across, renown for her leaving villages culturally changed, this woman has been both a blessing and a curse to many. Specializing in controlling minds and changing bodies, Feyua is motivated by leaving her mark on a place in a manner which serves whatever kink she happened to indulge at the time. Feyua has learned to extend such fates to those who subject others to cruelty, but delivering such fates is far from a desire to extend justice and more a self indulgent method to impose her perversions on  others without a conscious nagging her they didn't deserve it.

The idea of evil tyrants being granted a more sedated justice than the harm they imposed to "prove they are better" infuriates this woman no end. Honor Feyua believes is something only the honorable deserve, those who abuse innocents or kind people are to her .... test subjects .. nothing more but sometimes less, a lot less. Such living perversions are adored by those who the tyrants shamed or harmed, but doing so is deemed a tryany in its own regard by those of purer values. She is more likely to trust any who are primarily selfish, and will likely befriend others who find her "very liberal manner" of helping those under repressing rule appealing.

Languages

Common
Sylvan
Elvish
Draconic

Stats (32 point buy)

Str 6  (-2)
Dex 14 (+2)
Con 8  (-1)
Int 14 (+2)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 23 (+5)

Feats

1:  Spellcasting Prodigy (Bonus spells + DC)
2:  Spell Focus (Enchantment)
3:  Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment)
4:  Weapon Focus shortsword (deities weapon)

Saves

Fort + 4
Reflex + 6
Will + 6
Fire Resistance 10/-

Combat

Hit points = 6d8 + con bonus = 40 hp

Initiative: +2
BAB: +4
Armour Class: 10 + 10 (ring of the witches) + 2 (dex) = + 22
Flat footed Class: 10 + 10 (ring of the witches) = +20
Fire Resistance 10/-

Skills

Concentration (Con): 6 (ranks) -1 (Con) = +5
Knowledge (arcana) (Int) 6 (ranks) +2 (int) = +8
Spellcraft (Int).6 (ranks) +2 (int) = +8
Diplomacy (Cha): 6 (rank) + 2 (race) + 5 (cha) = +13
Handle Animal (Cha): 6 (rank) + 2 (race) + 5 (cha) = +13

Ride (dex): 5 (ranks) + 1 (Dex) + 2 (Handle Animal ranks)= +8
Swim (str): 1 rank + 2 (race) -2 (Str) = +1
sense motive (Wis): +1 (rank) + 2 (race) + 1 (Wis) = +4
Gather information (cha) 6 (rank) + 2(race) + 5 (cha) = +12
Perform (dance): 2 ranks + 2 (dex) = +4

Casting
Note that DC is different for FS spells

Non-Enchantment Spell Difficulty Class = *17 + spell level
( 10 + 5 (cha) + 1 (racial) + 1 (feat 1) + spell level)

Enchantment Spell Difficulty Class = *19 + spell level
( 10 + 5 (cha) + 1 (racial) + 1 (feat 1) + 1 (Feat 2) + 1 (Feat 3) + the spell level)

*can increase by two with eagles splendor

Sorceress Spells

Known 0th level spells 6 x0th p/d

Depilatory
Hygiene
Sense thoughts
Audible whisper
Read magic
Divination
Detect Magic

known 1st level spells 8 xists p/d

Grease
animate rope
Silent Image
Charm person

known 2nd level 7 x2nds p/d

unseen lover
web  (next selection Pipers Walk (Captivate all creatures within 100 + 10/level))

known 3rd level spells  5 x3rds p/d

Deep slumber (puts 10 hd creatures to sleep)

Favoured soul Spells
(these use wisdom for DC, not the calculation above)
level 0 (can cast 6 p/d)

Analyse fertility
detect pregancy
Create Water
Detect Poison
Light
Purify Food and Drink
Mending

level 1 (can cast 8 p/d)

Comprehend Languages
Cure Light Wounds
Vision of exqisite pleasure
Endure Elements
Suspicion

level 2 (can cast 7 p/d)

Reverse gender (1 hr / lvl)
Eagle’s Splendor:
Augury M F (bones worth 25 gp)
Cure Moderate Wounds:

level 3 (can cast 5 p/d)

Liars curse
  Remove Curse
  Bestow Curse

Stuff

Ring of Shield (2000 gp)
Ring of Mage Armour (2000 gp)
Ring of identify (1380 gp)
(3 x day each use uses (100 gp) pearl slots)
Ring of knock (4320 gp)
(2 times a day)

Light Xbow (belt-slung 20 bolt quiver)
Shortsword (hip-slung)
Leather Belt with small inbuild Dagger sheath + small dagger

Wearing
  Hooded Velvet Robe
  Leather gloves
  Silk undergarments & socks
  Knee-high leather boots
  Steelweave-Leather coin purse (assorted coins summing to approx 340 gp)
  Small Concealed gem-pouch (currently empty)
  Spell component pouch (belt)
  Spare Spell component pouch (concealed including 3 extra pearls of 100 gp each, and 5 bones worth 25 gp)

Heward's Handy Haversack (2000 gp)

http://www.ixitxachitls.net/entry/baseitem/Heward%27s%20Handy%20Haversack.html
QuoteContaining
Small Shoulder-slung waterproofed Wooden Cylinderical Case containing
(This is often stored in a backpack)
Black silk shoulder strap (unfurls to 10 feet silk rope)
Perfume   
2 x Hair Combs    
Mirror, Small, Silver
Assorted Soaps
Makeup kit
Assorted Hair-ribbons
Large Shoulder-slung waterproofed Wooden Cylinderical Case containing/including:
  (This is often stored in a backpack )
  Black silk shoulder strap (unfurls to 50 feet silk rope)
  Wood and Stetched Canvus oil-Lantern (inbuilt)
  lightly Scented Lantern oil (inbuild container)
  Writing ink, vial (inbuilt)
  2 x Steel-quills (within inbuilt sockets)
  Woodrimmed Magnifying Glass
  Tinder Box (inbuilt) with flint & steel    
  Map of the known world    
  100 pages of paper
  Fine Leather Waterskin
  Canvus-packed Assorted Nuts and Rasins 2 lbs
  Canvus packed-Assorted Tea
  Pan-Pipes
  Bedroll
  Thin Steel bowl + matching cup
potion of blessed seed 1400 gp
Spare Spell component pouch (belt)
Thin Waterproof Canvas sheet (acts as tent or ground cover)
Thin Silk hooded robes + matching under-gloves
spare set of Silk undergarments
Rain-cloak.
Ankle-high soft leather boots

Light war horse (Brusca) with Saddle / bit and bridle
  1st leather saddlebag section containing
    Horsefeed
  2nd leather saddlebag (empty)
  3rd leather saddlebag (empty)
  4th leather saddlebag (empty)

Notes

Desired Items: ones that cast pheromones, irrational attraction

BenedictWolfe

Um, how can Ring of the Witches cost 6300 gp? It gives +10 AC. Bracers of Armor +8 cost 64,000 gp. I get that making 1st level spells continuous is cheap, but it still seems weird to me. It's up to you and the DM of course; it just caught my eye, is all.

NicciKotor

Yeah that is rather bonkers with that ring of witches. Maybe individually those permenancy spells are cheap, but stacking them onto one item like that would drastically increase the price.

Besides that, you can still take a 4d6 over and over instead of a 32 point buy. Everyone else stats look good.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

BenedictWolfe

I think, perhaps, one would pay for the stat increase, rather than the level in this case? You know, there's a 1st level spell called True Strike that gives you +20 to Attack for one attack. Imagine that as continuous on a sword. After all, Bracers of Armor +4 alone cost 16,000 gp; our entire budget.
Okay, I'm starting to sound like a rules lawyer; I swear it's not intentional. I just want everyone to have fun.

Anyways, about the character I proposed, Nicci? Would he be okay?

Kate

From

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm

Magic Item Gold Piece Values

Many factors must be considered when determining the price of new magic items. The easiest way to come up with a price is to match the new item to an item that is already priced that price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Price Values.

Multiple Similar Abilities

For items with multiple similar abilities that don’t take up space on a character’s body use the following formula: Calculate the price of the single most costly ability, then add 75% of the value of the next most costly ability, plus one-half the value of any other abilities.

Multiple Different Abilities

Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like function are not similar, and their values are simply added together to determine the cost. For items that do take up a space on a character’s body each additional power not only has no discount but instead has a 50% increase in price.

---- In short items that have several simular abilities are less expensive than separate items with those abilities ( as long as the spell effects / abiltieis etc are simular)

Witches ring was done that way - standard rules.

You can make a blanket rule on how much that ring should cost instead.
or limit the amound of abiltiies an item can have made this way to say three or demand that rings that have multiple abilities cost 1000 gp more in materials ... etc

Kate

yeah permanent true strike on a weapon would be pretty nasty.

Imagine that on a repeating xbow - (something i would expect would be veto'd by the dm)

ff

Quote from: BenedictWolfe on July 03, 2010, 10:29:16 AM
I think, perhaps, one would pay for the stat increase, rather than the level in this case? You know, there's a 1st level spell called True Strike that gives you +20 to Attack for one attack. Imagine that as continuous on a sword. After all, Bracers of Armor +4 alone cost 16,000 gp; our entire budget.
Okay, I'm starting to sound like a rules lawyer; I swear it's not intentional. I just want everyone to have fun.

Anyways, about the character I proposed, Nicci? Would he be okay?

The reason perma True Strike (which I've seen 3 separate times as a DM, and on other message boards! )would not be allowed on a weapon even per core is this:

One line of the magic item pricing table is often quoted out of context; however the line's footnote, the other lines of the table, and the surrounding text explain that that line is part of a larger formula, and there's always one or more multipliers (although they may happen to be 'x1'). For an effect with a duration, the multiplier is based on the duration - shorter duration spells have a higher multiplier, since they tend to be more powerful per round of effect.

For a non-duration effect, i.e. an instantaneous or number-of-use cap effect, there is a multiplier for uses per day (where IIRC 5 uses per day happens to be a multiplier of one.) So instead of +20 to every attack, for example, the sword at the speculated price would let you use True Strike 5/day - which would not only limit the number of boosted attacks, but require a standard action to activate.

Still incredibly useful for the right character, like a sneak attacking rogue (the item has one huge benefit over the spell: no verbal spell component to give you away if hidden). 

ff

Maybe I'll try my hand at gestalt after all. I'm thinking a swashbuckler / rogue, as the synergy is good, and it compliments Feyua nicely (warrior/rogue and divine/arcane caster, that's the four food groups right there)

Kate

Ok instead of this
Ring of the Witches  (6300 gp)
Continuous Shield (+4 shield ac)
Continuous Mage Armor (+ 4 armour ac)
Continuous Shield of Faith ( +2 deflection ac)
Command word - Protection from arrows (1 / day for 4 hrs)

could this be accepted ? (we could make it that "continous" is deemed a different ability to "command word" (and forget they are all protection stuff) ... also increase the summed price to cater for expensive materials needed to manage multiple effects. Limit effects to only three ... ie

this ?

Ring of the Witches  (8000 gp)

Keelan

As i've noticed Kate's character's race, what is the LA/Racial HD that were allowed?

BenedictWolfe

Kate: Why not just go with a Ring of Protection +2 at 8000 gp or Bracers of Armor +3 at 9000 gp? A mithral chainshirt could work, too.

Kate

a) 1/2 nymph http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Half-Nymph_%283.5e_Race%29 (hopefully they are accepted ! I just adore the idea of playing one). Full nymph i think has a la of 2 ... but a 1/2 nymph comes over as more practical.

c)  B: If it was accepted it would give double the accumulated AC rating than a ring of prot + 2 coupled with bracers plus 3). Even if i wanted to get bracers and a ring of prot, I only have 15,000 for what I thought I could create, those two items seemed the best bang for my buck. (and Mithril chainshirt still has a 10 percent change of arcane spell failure.)... though it sounds cool - if it has 0 failure change i would wear one :) ... actually if its a masterwork chain shirt and mithril does that make it 0 percent ? I cant recall if mw lessens acrane spell failure or not.

b) I am happy to do whatever NicciKotor wants concerning the ring of witches - if she wants to veto standard rules for stacking effects - or make a call on its price - ok.,... if she thinks she has given me enough liberties accepting a 1/2 nymph in the first place and the condition of playing her is the ring of witches has to go (in all forms) ... so be it :)

if she accepted the ring of witchs like this

Ring of the Witches  (all your starting cash )

or

Ring of the Witches  (all your starting cash )

... that would be also cool as it frees up known spell slots (which I don't have many of) I would want to try for roll paying reasons :)

Either way I will respect her decision. Last thing I want is a long winded heated disagreement on rules or acceptability with anyone (least of all the story telller) for something that doesn't effect role playing my character that much anyway as I think doing so removes a lot of fun for all concerning dnd threads - which I think most agree with.

BenedictWolfe

Mithral items count as masterwork, but don't gain any benefits from it (other than being available to becoming enchanted). A mithral shirt has 10% arcane failure, yes. In any case, masterwork only bestows a -1 adjustment to check penalty and no adjustment to arcane failure.

ff

Kate, since Mage Armor has a long duration 6 hours at level 6, you could save some of the money entirely by just using Mage Armor as one of the sorc spells.

Maybe I can help with the magic item dilemma. Let me say up front that I'm fine with whichever way the DM does things (i.e. what she allows) but it'd be nice to know, since what I make for my own items will probably depend on it.

When an item's ability has a specific pricing in the DMG/SRD, you use that pricing (for example, an enhancement bonus to armor is 1,000 x bonus-squared), which supersedes the spell level x caster level formula. For example, the formula applied to Bull's Strength would be 2K x SL 2 x CL 3 = 12K, but ability score enhancement bonuses are 1K x bonus^2 (even numbers only) so it's 16K. There is text to this effect in the DMG/SRD (and if it went the other way, then the other formulas would be pointless - trust me, the designers realized the formulas didn't like up for Mage Armor and Bull's Strength). One rule of thumb is "if two items do the same thing, they cost the same."

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues

I hope I don't earn anyone's ire by raining on their parade. My intentions are too 1. resolve apparent confusion going on 2. tease to a 'ruling' from the DM....cuz if we can use the SL x CL formula for anything, it's going to have an effect on my own choices! (Whereas I wouldn't want to do this if I feel I'm 'sneaking' it by the DM or she might nix it later.)

Kate

Creating magical items via those rules is a lot of fun, and helps personalities magical items and make them feel more special, something specifically useful to your character is something that is I think what is "wowing" about magical stuff.

... but this is getting a lot more involved than i thought it would, (The example of the "continuous true-strike" enchantment makes this an obvious issue).. so  to prevent unecessary tension through disagreements.

How about this for an idea.

We either propose magical items (show their price as deduced via standard rules) and storyteller

a) makes a decision on its price (can ignore the standard price ruling completely or use it as a yard stick)

or

b) outright vetos it for reasons they don't have to justify... no questions no ifs no buts...

or

c) The storyteller has a look at our characters and assigns us items they feels would suit us, (then I rearrange spells to compensate)

Is this fair to all ?

ff

Oh, by all means, I rather enjoy the story aspects of creating magical items. In the past, I've sometimes written little mini stories for my items, even when their magic effects were quite vanilla (a +2 short sword won from a barfight with a former gladiatrix who'd almostj oined the party but gone nuts after drinking, etc. - standard item, standard pricing rules, but customized name, story, and fluff text about how it looks).

There's nothing about the creation/pricing rules that need inhibit such fun, and nothing that makes the item more or less unique (except insofar as using different pricing than other campaigns is by definition more 'unique' I suppose - but that's not so much unique item design as unique economics, and changing rules is always gonna be more 'unique' in this way)

Here's one way to think of it. Suppose in the campaign, we happen to loot bracers of armor +4 from an enemy monk and 'continuous Mage Armor bracers' from an enemy mage. Wouldn't it be odd if the shopkeeper is offering more money (8K vs 2K, half the 'buy' prices) for one item than other,when both do the same thing? And why would the item creating wizard have made the more expensive but no-better item in the first place? (Note that in this example, Mage Armor is the spell the item creator uses for bracers of armor).

In my experience, a decent application of guidelines likes this actually leads to much more creative roleplaying, because if things are balanced, then players just do what they feel fits their character best. (And it leads to less poring over rules in the long run, because they are clearer and get understood and people move on.)

NicciKotor

I work on weekends and I just got back from my live game that I DM. I need sleeps and to look over everything in detail, which will take a while, which may not even happen until afternoon tomorrow.

What I can see already is how the ring of witches is still overpowered for the price. When I allow custom items for my players, they are more of a personal nature and intended for non combat uses and just helps expand out the character.

A dwarfen cleric, for example, would have a token from his father, that would be something minor like +5 to crafting checks. If you can justify it with a personal connection and it doesn't become too expensive or powerful, then you can get it for free, since you don't buy keepsakes like theses.

ff

I've written her backstory as if in the Forgotten Realms setting. I'm not trying to say we 'should' do that, it just tends to get my creative juices flowing (have DMed, read novels, and played games like Baldur's Gate, in FR). It'd be trivial to substitute or edit out the proper nouns for whatever setting.

WotC-style plaintext stat block for now, will happily do mythweavers or other desired format though.

Will think of magic items later. If DM allows, might be interested in a 'pounce' item, which incidentally is a nice example of the aforementioned magic item price formulae.

Pounce is a druid spell (Complete Divine) that allows a full attack at the end of a charge, i.e. it's a buff spell. It's a first level spell,and lasts 1 round / level (multiplier = 4), so continuous price would default to 2,000 x 1 x 1 x 4 = 8000 gp.

If this is allowed, will probably just do this and defensive items to get up to 15K (like +1 armor and a +2 resistance item).

For a minor custom/heirloom item of the sort Nicci suggests, maybe something with a Hide bonus, or which casts Invisibility a few times a day.

Name: Aria
Class: Rogue / Swashbuckler
Bio: Daughter to retired adventurers who'd more or less bought their way into polite Luskan society using the treasures, skills, and reputations gleaned from their exploits, Aria grew to found herself nudged towards high learning. Her parents, it seems, hoped for a safer life for their daughter, and to their dismay her favorite subject seemed to be her fencing practice nonetheless. At least, unlike most of her friends' parents, her own seemed amenable to the idea of a daughter learning such things at all, perhaps because their careers had shown them what a dangerous place the world could be.

These teenage tensions boiled over into Aria learning how to sneak out and about at night, and she got herself into tatters of trouble, and eventually one scrap she'd not have survived from herself. Rescued from petty thugs of a Luskan pirate lord by a priestess of the Red Knight, Aria ventured out to visit her savior's temple on subsequent nights. She never lost her disobedient urge, but perhaps channeled it with more purpose.

She found companionship and learning of the sorts she'd longed for, which proved a bulwark against a dark part of her own nature: she discovered through the aggravating throes of puberty, and leafing about in her family heraldry, that one of her great-grandmothers just might've been an erinyes devil. This shared revelation renewed her priestess benefactor's attentions and concerns. So far, Aria has maintained a far loftier heart than her infamous ancestor's. The blood may've even contributed a disciplined and logical bent of mind which serves well one who would revere the Lady of Strategy.

(Will provide more of a 'coda' to backstory when I have a better sense of the RP's opening location/scene, i.e. why and how she got there.)

Aria, lesser tiefling, gestalt rogue 6 swashbuckler 6
Medium Outsider (native)
Hit Dice: 6d10+12 (49 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+5 Dex, +4 armor), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: kukri +12 melee (1d4+6/15-20) or comp. longbow +12 ranged (1d8+6/x3)
Full Attack: two kukris +10/+5 melee (1d4+6/15-20) or comp. longbow +12 ranged (1d8+6/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: insightful strike, lesser darkness 1/day, sneak attack +6d6
Special Qualities: darkvision 60', dodge bonus +2, evasion, grace +2, resistances (cold, elec, fire 2), trapfinding, trap sense +2, uncanny dodge
Saves: Fort +4, Reflex +12, Will +3
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 21, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 9
Skills: Bluff +10, Disable Device +12, Hide +16, Listen +10, Move Silently +14, Open Lock +14, Search +12, Spot +10, Tumble +14
Feats: Daring Outlaw, Improved Critical (kukri), Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Telling Blow, Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse
Alignment: Lawful good
Deity: Red Knight ('The Lady of Strategy', LN goddess of tactical and wisdom warfare) if Forgotten Realms setting; or closest analog of Athena if in another setting
Flaws: Frail (-1 hp/level), Weak Fortitude (-3 Fort)
Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Infernal, Sylvan
Possession: two mw kukris, mw comp. longbow (Str rating +2), mw chain shirt, quiver with 100 cold iron arrows and 20 silver arrows, 2 kukris, 2 throwing axes, 2 light hammers, 6 daggers, grappling hook and 100' of silk rope, thin bedroll and rain tarp, one tenday of rations, flint and tinder, 3 sunrods, two scout's outfits, one silk aristocratic gown, forest camouflage rain cloak (mw tool for hide), soft padded elven footwear (mw tool for move silently), map of the known world, canteen, light warhorse and military saddle, 100 gp

Darkvision (Ex): A tiefling has darkvision to a 60-foot range.
Lesser Darkness (Sp): Once per day, the tiefling may use an effect similar to darkness (caster level equals tiefling's character level), except that the radius is 5 feet. This ability is the equivalent of a 1st-level spell.
Skill Bonuses: A tiefling has a +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Hide checks.
Resistances (Ex): A tiefling starts play with resistance 2 to cold, electricity, and fire.

Insightful Strike (Ex): add Int mod to damage with light and finessable weapons.
Telling Blow (Ex): add sneak attack damage to critical hits. 

Sources: Complete Warrior: swashbuckler; Complete Scoundrel: Daring Outlaw feat (stack rogue and swashbuckler levels for determining dodge, grace, sneak attack); PHBII: Telling Blow feat (crits deal sneak attack damage); Savage Progressions (Wizards site): lesser tiefling (i.e. LA +0 tiefling)

Kate

Effect stacking deemed way underpriced by the story teller ? ok matters settled.

I can change to having

one ring of shield

... and another ring of mage armor ...

No stacking done, all happy I hope.

( the ring of the rascal (if its ok it stacked but it doesnt help in fights ) I wont usually wear but have with me when i need it, if there is a problem with it I can split its effects into two rings - so i have four minor rings i juggle about when I need to - cool with me - I don't mind.

Concerning prices of something that gives + X to AC compared to another method that gives the same +X to me...

The reason why something like a protection ring is more valuable is that it adds a different type of AC that stacks better with typical stuff. Ring of prot - is a deflection bonus to AC. ... which stacks with shields and armour ac.
Natural armor items are pricy also because they stack with other AC buff stuff perfectly.
Bracers are expensive as they add to armor without taking a slot typically used by other things (like ring slots).
.. that is just my take however. I feel that the standard rules are balanced enough.  Perfectly balanced ? No. But what feels right to the storyteller is what I go by.

BTW all I wasn't trying to push something though that was underhanded, stacking effects on items really is very interesting to me thats all, but Im not going to be passionate or dogmatic about it, especially for starting items.  I'm happy to let it go. :)

(lol and there I was thinking you guys would go "wow cool idea ! Sensible creation there kate ! ... alas oh well :)

If any want further on this lets do so in a different thread so we can leave this one for thread logistics and free of fine-tuning of interpretation :)  Dnd Game mechanics discussion thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=74294.0

ff

Oh, I do think it was a very thematically interesting ring, sorry I didn't go out of my way to say so. Like I said before - pricing is basically orthogonal to design (although the one influences what may be 'best'.) - which I said before to try to encourage you in the thematic/roleplaying aspects of it.

But if you were hoping that we'd be amazed that you'd managed to 'do better than' the bracers of armor price-wise....I guess what I would say is that it is great that you were thinking cleverly about how to optimize your character, and it was a clever insight, but it happens to be one that the designers already accounted for ("if it seems too good to be true, it usually is"). If you google "Mage Armor continuous item" or "True Strike continuous item" you can find other sites with people having conversations much like ours - in other words, it's a natural enough "Aha!" when you see that 2000 x SL x CL formula, and I was once there too.   

Another way to think of it is: if the item you had in mind doesn't fit your budget, you can almost always do the same thematic/roleplaying with a more modest item. When DMing I've commonly had players say 'X is really important to my roleplaying' where X just happens to be really powerful....there's pretty much always a way to capture the same idea at a lower level. (In fact, you see forums where someone's done a style of 'char sheet' with a table of the char's progression through 20 levels.)

You've come upon a good insight about items: the 'multiple abilities' rule (usually x1.5 for all the abilities except the most expensive one) versus the body slots. The trade-off tends to be that at lower levels, it's better to just use a different slot for everything, since you can't afford to totally 'fill up' your char anyway...at high levels, you may run out of slots, and want to double up.

The other trade-off you've come upon is the different bonus types. Because the price go with the square, it's cheaper to choose smaller bonuses of multiple types - but this uses up more body slots (and may cause more redundancy with spell effects). Somewhere I think the Wizards site made a handy table for the best AC for your buck, for example:

1K for armor +1
1K for shield +1
2K for natural armor +1
2K for deflection +1
2.5K for sacred +1
3K for armor +2 (ibecause it's 4K minus the 1K above)

And so on. There are several reasons the different bonus types have different prices: in part some are better than others (touch and flat-footed AC), and in part they just make some more expensive (like 'sacred') to reduce the ability to get around teh bonus-squared formula in the above manner (if there were infinitely many types of the same price, you'd never do +2, you'd just keep doing +1s with the x1.5 for multiple abilities). 

Since you have a sorceress / favored soul, you can reap a lot of 'spell effect' benefits. The items which are more likely to be useful to you are ones that can't be duplicated by spells, or whose spells are shortish duration.

In fact, I may use Feyua's spells known to influence my own items. for example, if she knows Invisibility (which would be great IMO!), I won't choose an item for it.

Kate

Other sites believing different things aside for the moment, I have changed my magical items to these now.

Ring of Shield (2000 gp)
Ring of Mage Armour (2000 gp)
Ring of identify (1380 gp)
(3 x day each use uses (100 gp) pearl slots)
Ring of knock (4320 gp)
(2 times a day)
Heward's handy haversack (2000 gp)

Hopefully this is cool - if there is a push to rule out shield or mage armour being in a magical item,
and / or only standard listed magical items are ok to start with so be it :)

I will change accordingly.

NicciKotor

Okay, I shall be going with Kate, Keelan, and Benedict for this game. Like I said before wolfe, LA adjustment for gestalt applies for both sides of the gestalt, so you would be scout 4/ranger 4, it is one of the perfectly reasonable downsides of gestalting, you get screwed over if you play LA adjusted races. Also I don't see how you could fit things in with your character being an ogre and justification in a personal manner, owning a cloak of elven-kind. You gotta sell it.

Would also be considerate to talk to the other players and see if they would enjoy playing and potentially fooling around with a half ogre.

I purpose an alternative to looking at the wonky item creation rules:

http://hotfile.com/dl/52519225/12394ff/Magic_Item_Compendium.pdf.html

Magic Item Compendium is your friend.