News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Avengers the Movie

Started by Callie Del Noire, April 05, 2012, 02:50:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

This is how I usually approach it. If it's a Spiderman comic book, then everyone in Marvel are off somewhere doing their own thing, but are not important unless mentioned or they make a cameo. If it's a Spiderman movie, assume nothing. What's on screen is what exists until your shown otherwise. Carnage don't show up, he don't exist.

Beorning

I watched the movie last Friday. Hmmm.

I'm kind of undecided. The movie had some great dialogues and scenes, but the plot was kind of simplistic and predictible. There were some good character moments for some of the Avengers (Iron Man, Hulk), but some of character came off as a bit flat (Thor, Hawkeye).

What might've ruined this movie for me? Here in Poland, no cinema shows this movie in 2D. And I found it quite hard to watch in 3D, as a lot of things were dark and hazy. I might be buying this movie on DVD just to appreciate it properly...  :-\

Regarding the hidden scene:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
So... Thanos as a sequel villain? This could be... interesting. On the other hand, I kind of hoped for Kang or Ultron.

Chris Brady

Saw it last night.  Was kind of surprised.  It was actually pretty damn good.  Obviously Marvel kept Mr, Whedon on a short leash, which was what I had been hoping for.  As for the 3D, only fight scenes, or 'splash page' scenes were in 3D, which were kind of jarring.  None of the usual forced personalities that Mr. Whedon is famous for (Not to mention that the only 'super girl' was Black Widow, and really, in the 616 Universe, she's near Captain America in physical capacities, and ages slowly due to a Russian super soldier serum.)

Also, 3D hurts my eyes, which might be because I'm still blessed with better than average vision (20/15.  Which means at 20 feet out, I make out the same amount of detail people make at 15.)  So my brain is trying to process an illusion that I know exists, but my eyes are overcompensating for.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Beorning

Quote from: Chris Brady
Not to mention that the only 'super girl' was Black Widow, and really, in the 616 Universe, she's near Captain America in physical capacities, and ages slowly due to a Russian super soldier serum.

She does? It's getting hard to keep track of all the people in MU who have some version of supersoldier / slowed aging enhancements...

BTW. I didn't really like Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow. Not that she's a bad actress or anything, but I've always thought that Natasha is a bit older.

I also must admit that Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury didn't work for me at all. And Robin Szczerbacki as Maria Hill was just surreal...  ;D

Chris Brady

The 'successful super soldiers' from the early 40-50s in Marvel universal 616 are (to my knowledge) Steve Rogers (original Cap. America), Black Widow (She was trained in a 'Red Room' KBG-style training regime) and Nick Fury (which I think was the same tech used on Black Widow.)

John Walker got his powers through something called Power Brokerage, which may also be a super soldier program of some sort, but I don't know much about that Captain America (Who was USAgent, and I think he's back to being Captain America now.)

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
The 'successful super soldiers' from the early 40-50s in Marvel universal 616 are (to my knowledge) Steve Rogers (original Cap. America), Black Widow (She was trained in a 'Red Room' KBG-style training regime) and Nick Fury (which I think was the same tech used on Black Widow.)

John Walker got his powers through something called Power Brokerage, which may also be a super soldier program of some sort, but I don't know much about that Captain America (Who was USAgent, and I think he's back to being Captain America now.)

And (thanks to a 2003 comic) Isiah Bradley, the sole survivor of an attempt to replicate the Steve Rogers success with the formula.

Chris Brady

Was he from the 1940s too?  I honestly don't know that character.  Time to look him up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 06:16:27 PM
Was he from the 1940s too?  I honestly don't know that character.  Time to look him up!

The backstory is that one of Erskine's assistants tried to replicate his success using African-americans. Isiah Bradley was the only success out of something like 300 attempts.

Chris Brady

According to the wiki, there were like six, and the became an (ahem) black ops team.  Ok, so now four confirmed Super Soldiers.  Again, these are peak human, not super human.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 06:28:26 PM
According to the wiki, there were like six, and the became an (ahem) black ops team.  Ok, so now four confirmed Super Soldiers.  Again, these are peak human, not super human.

He's the sole survivor.. they were all killed in combat. Burned out, killed and such.

Chris Brady

I meant six more successes that lasted long enough to be a covert ops team.  They did all die off until Isaiah Bradley was the only one left.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 20, 2012, 06:44:16 PM
I meant six more successes that lasted long enough to be a covert ops team.  They did all die off until Isaiah Bradley was the only one left.

I think one burned out from an overactive adrenal gland and another's heart exploded.. it's been a while since I've skimmed the book.

Chris Brady

TheGlyphstone

Vekseid

Quote from: Cold Heritage on April 27, 2012, 10:25:44 PM
I have heard a dismaying rumour, and in the name of all that is good in the world I need you to confirm or deny.

Does Agent Coulson get killed off? Don't sugar coat it. Give it to me straight, bro. I can handle it. I can take it. Even if it means having butt devastation equal to the force of a billion exploding suns.

He's signed for Iron Man 3, apparently.

Chris Brady

Really, Veks?  Interesting.

Caitlin

I loved this movie! I'm even thinking of watching it twice in the cinema, but the high price for the ticket is withholding me from doing so. I'm more likely to watch MIB III and buy this movie on DVD.

The only thing I wished that they improved upon was more background story for the legolas guy. The rest of the characters were well worked out and I really loved all the humour. ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: Chris Brady on May 24, 2012, 01:53:47 AM
Really, Veks?  Interesting.
Spoiler'd just in case
]You should know, no one ever dies for real in comic book-land. I think the number of real deaths of highly likeable characters can be counted on two hands. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on May 24, 2012, 07:07:04 AM
Spoiler'd just in case
]You should know, no one ever dies for real in comic book-land. I think the number of real deaths of highly likeable characters can be counted on two hands. :D

Just look at Jean Grey.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Chris Brady

Josietta

Quote from: templixa on May 24, 2012, 04:16:03 AM
I loved this movie! I'm even thinking of watching it twice in the cinema, but the high price for the ticket is withholding me from doing so. I'm more likely to watch MIB III and buy this movie on DVD.

The only thing I wished that they improved upon was more background story for the legolas guy. The rest of the characters were well worked out and I really loved all the humour. ;D

O.O Really... I mean... Really!?   Did you just call Clint Barton... the hottie -Hawkeye-... 'the legolas guy'?!  someone get me a drink.. STAT! *faints*

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Rinzler

Quote from: Vekseid on May 24, 2012, 12:45:59 AM
He's signed for Iron Man 3, apparently.

And furthermore:

Note that it was mentioned that Coulson's ladyfriend was a cellist. I've heard talk on the interwebs that a certain Ms Maximoff has been depicted playing a cello.

Which would mean...

No...surely not.

You think?

Nah...

But then, this is comic books land, where pretty much anything is possible :-D

Chris Brady

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 11:08:57 AM
O.O Really... I mean... Really!?   Did you just call Clint Barton... the hottie -Hawkeye-... 'the legolas guy'?!  someone get me a drink.. STAT! *faints*

*Gives Josi a Hawkeye*  you know what's amusing?  The 616 version is almost as good a swordsman as he is an archer.  His first mentor in the circus was called The Swordsman, the second I believe was known as Trickshot.

Jag

Quote from: Josietta on May 24, 2012, 11:08:57 AM

I think there is a pretty nice list of drinks a few posts up. Would you like one of those? ^__^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Josietta

Quote from: Michi No Sora on May 24, 2012, 02:03:53 PM
I think there is a pretty nice list of drinks a few posts up. Would you like one of those? ^__^

*nodnod* I think I need the God of Thunder!  or even the Agent Coulson! ;D

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!